Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CharlesM posted:

Aren't they kinda hoodwinking you?
In their defense, shithead advertising scammers are always coming up with new ways to circumvent their screening.

In their offense, their security site hasn't been updated since 2012:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

zen death robot posted:

Seriously, please - for now you can go to:

User Control Panel -> Edit Options -> Enable Mobile Layout on Mobile Devices

The annoying thing about it is that it'll do it on desktop browsers still, so you'll have to turn it back off or use uBlock Origin to block mobile.css and the mobile.js (I don't have those on hand to copy/paste or I would) and you'll get ad-free mobile browsing with your phone's web browser and no 3rd party app.

Lowtax is still working on it so it's not 100% complete, but it's still better than trying to hit tiny buttons on your phones screen regardless.

Unless you have really tiny fingers, then maybe it isn't
No dont do that, this is all a ploy to try to make people buy the no-ads upgrade!!!

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Adblock plus blocks them if youve got iPhone OS 9 btw, that's my current solution. Acceptable ads still lets the goon made ads through as well

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CharlesM posted:

Aren't they kinda hoodwinking you?

Are they birds?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Title of thread is right. Someone should really resolve the bad ad problem.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Title of thread is right. Someone should really resolve the bad ad problem.
yeah somebody should be working on this

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowtax posted:

I'm trying to get the BRAND NEW BAD AD issue resolved with Rubicon now. I apologize, I thought they had actually resolved it by whitelisting certain ads, but poo poo is still getting past them. I will keep you all updated.

Need to get Leonard .J .Krabbs to send of some sort of official lawyer type document. I'm sure he'll be able to hoodwink them into never ever again not in a trillion billion years serve us another bad ad.

Well ok maybe an occasional few, but that's all darn'it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

yeah somebody should be working on this
Seriously though Rubicon should be called Rubican't because they can't fix this!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously though Rubicon should be called Rubican't because they can't fix this!

Assfingeringlair
Nov 16, 2015

by Lowtax
Its painfully obvious rubicon is fobbing you off. As this has been an issue for literally years and those kind of ads are a core business model for them.

If ads are making insignificant amounts of cash for you (as you've stated many times), then disable them and either eliminate ads altogether or use google ads like everyone else instead of making users use adblock or pay you no ads to access the site.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What the-- this guy's flaming me!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Assfingeringlair posted:

Its painfully obvious rubicon is fobbing you off. As this has been an issue for literally years and those kind of ads are a core business model for them.

If ads are making insignificant amounts of cash for you (as you've stated many times), then disable them and either eliminate ads altogether or use google ads like everyone else instead of making users use adblock or pay you no ads to access the site.
Well the problem is now that ads are generating more revenue than forums income, which has fallen 70-80%. So unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to ditch advertising networks at this point, and I need to get these issues resolved with them. I mean, they're a publicly traded company, they should have some way of dealing with this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Quintilius Lowtax, give me back my ads!

Assfingeringlair posted:

Eh they could be a little more on top of poo poo I guess but idk that it's an intentional scam.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Moridin920 posted:

Quintilius Lowtax, give me back my ads!

Eh they could be a little more on top of poo poo I guess but idk that it's an intentional scam.

At this point 'not being staffed for the service you offer despite profits' should be viewed just as much as a scam. It's an ad network, not a mom-n-pop drugstore or one of those poor suffering multi-million kickstarter videogame companies.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Kaizoku posted:

At this point 'not being staffed for the service you offer despite profits' should be viewed just as much as a scam. It's an ad network, not a mom-n-pop drugstore or one of those poor suffering multi-million kickstarter videogame companies.
Yeah exactly, their publisher support is bare-bones and unresponsive at times, and you'd think they'd take stuff like app store redirects / takeovers more seriously and work on their algorithms to weed this poo poo out. They're a big company, I don't know what's going on there.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

Lowtax posted:

Well the problem is now that ads are generating more revenue than forums income, which has fallen 70-80%. So unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to ditch advertising networks at this point, and I need to get these issues resolved with them. I mean, they're a publicly traded company, they should have some way of dealing with this.

Has advertising revenue fallen significantly as well? Because it looks like without attracting new users, eventually all your revenue streams will dry up despite whatever fancy "seriously* only good* ads**" network is presently loving you.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

epsilon-6 posted:

Has advertising revenue fallen significantly as well? Because it looks like without attracting new users, eventually all your revenue streams will dry up despite whatever fancy "seriously* only good* ads**" network is presently loving you.
Yeah, it's down about 60-70% as well, they both go hand in hand.

Assfingeringlair
Nov 16, 2015

by Lowtax
Thought about opening registration?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Assfingeringlair posted:

No.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Assfingeringlair posted:

Opening registration will maybe bring in a few people, but 99% of the accounts will be spam bots and backup accounts for posters. It also reduces the likelihood people will pay for future accounts as they will expect accounts to become free in the future.

And an account is 10 measly dollars, jfc, what potential quality poster can't afford that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
$10 for an account seems pretty open to me

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mrit posted:

Opening registration will maybe bring in a few people, but 99% of the accounts will be spam bots and backup accounts for posters. It also reduces the likelihood people will pay for future accounts as they will expect accounts to become free in the future.
Plus it is defeating the entire purpose I originally began charging money for people to register (HINT: it wasn't a moneymaking idea, it was a "Jesus Christ get Tastyarmageddon off these loving forums" idea).

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Why keep rubicon around at all when you have google ads now?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Thingyman posted:

Why keep rubicon around at all when you have google ads now?
Because Google has about a 30-40% fill rate. They're our top tier ad network obviously, but like all networks they stop serving ads based on various factors, the biggest of which is the number of pages consumed by a unique IP. Since the average forum user consumes between 19-30 pages, Google traditionally will only fill or serve around 1/3rd of that, so we have to use alternate ad networks to fill remnants, and even then Rubicon leaves another 60% unfilled. So blah blah blah ads basically.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have you considered just banning everyone so they all have to re-register, I mean that'd be a good forty or fifty bucks in the bank right there

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Get a Patreon Lowtax, I'd throw in 5-10 bucks a month. I'm sure you could get a solid income stream, and the amounts could have goals and such.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mrit posted:

Get a Patreon Lowtax, I'd throw in 5-10 bucks a month. I'm sure you could get a solid income stream, and the amounts could have goals and such.

Or you could just donate directly to Lowtax like you can already.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The only thing I like more than making payments is making monthly payments.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I love making monthly payments through a middleman who can't keep my information secure.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

The only thing I like more than making payments is making monthly payments.

I'm far too lazy to remember to donate every month, but I could ignore a recurring bill. :shrug:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
We can set up an optional recurring billing system easy, but I'd have to figure out something to give to reward people who sign up for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lowtax posted:

We can set up an optional recurring billing system easy, but I'd have to figure out something to give to reward people who sign up for it.

Cards Against Humanity gave people boxes of poop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

You could change Archives access from a 30 dollar flat fee to like $5 or $10 a month, since archives take up a lot of server space and work.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could change Archives access from a 30 dollar flat fee to like $5 or $10 a month, since archives take up a lot of server space and work.
We're actually doing the opposite and going to hopefully try to merge the archives into the live db so search will work on them and everyone can access them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

This but with noads

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

We're actually doing the opposite and going to hopefully try to merge the archives into the live db so search will work on them and everyone can access them.
Oh that kicks rear end.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Plus it is defeating the entire purpose I originally began charging money for people to register (HINT: it wasn't a moneymaking idea, it was a "Jesus Christ get Tastyarmageddon off these loving forums" idea).

imo this is one of the biggest reasons this forum isn't a poo poo show (well, not as much as other forums anyway).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lowtax posted:

Make gangtags a feature instead of the weird hack it is now. 20bux for someone to upload a gangtag, 1bux per month to give yourself an existing gangtag. This actually enhances functionality in a way since it lets people add/change gangtags without having to buy a whole new custom title. For 2bux you can change someone else's gangtag for a month.

Add a subscribers-only fyadlite bullshit forum. People love those things. Sell IKships for it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
seriously, right now my new latest top of the line iphone is the only machine I have that cannot take me to a page on the forums and STAY there, my ipad is several generations out of date in both hardware and os and it does it fine, my lovely computer does it fine, why can't this super expensive wonder phone perform the simple, basic task of browsing a web forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Acne Rain posted:

seriously, right now my new latest top of the line iphone is the only machine I have that cannot take me to a page on the forums and STAY there, my ipad is several generations out of date in both hardware and os and it does it fine, my lovely computer does it fine, why can't this super expensive wonder phone perform the simple, basic task of browsing a web forum.
What exactly is occurring and when did it last occur?