Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Sorry it took so long to get this done, but the problem with bad ads (pops, malware, etc) should finally be resolved. We were finally accepted back onto the Google AdSense network, which does a much superior job of automatically filtering out the sketchy ads which automatically destroy your computer machine when loaded. Additionally, our Rubicon representative has been helping set up a dynamic blacklist of badvertisers that should keep them at bay, if any Rubicon ads are served.

So I apologize for it taking so long to resolve, but it was difficult joining a respected ad network because everybody everywhere hates us and we're not popular anymore and the forums were better back in 2002 and I remember the old days back when blah blah blah. Oh, and another benefit of having this new ad network is that we'll hopefully pull in more money, because right now AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY

Thank you, and please have a pleasant forum experience.

- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka
Do not sign your own posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Thanks. Is the 90% figure real. That's a huge cut

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bwee posted:

Thanks. Is the 90% figure real. That's a huge cut
Yes it is!

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Lowtax posted:

Yes it is!

Do you think it has anything to do with the current state of GBS?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is excellent, thank you Lowtax for making these forums good.

Dec 26, 2012

thank you

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Yes it is!

impressive

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So it's safe to turn off addblock?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

drilldo squirt posted:

So it's safe to turn off addblock?
Yes it is!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

small hendren posted:

The state lowtax put it in?? I kinda doubt he thinks so or probably he wouldn't have done it!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hi lowtax did you know this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks, and good to hear. Hopefully this means I can visit this dying forum on my phone without being redirected to sign up as an Uber driver.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
loving finally, thank you very much Lowtax.:toot:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lowtax if I whitelist your site on adblock do you make more money?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
please turn sigs back on in byob lowtax, thank you

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Welcome back and much thanks.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Thank you for adds that don't give my computer viruses.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Lowtax posted:

AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY

So who's paying for the servers?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
e: nvm

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I just bought this avatar, to replace the other one that someone bought for me. Cheers!

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
sell me a t shirt with the grenade logo on it and I will buy it. I know it didn't go well way back when but in web 2.0 era this can be done very easily I think.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

While I am really glad this is getting sorted the 90% less thing is worrying.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

is 90% the difference between $500K/year and $50K/year or $50K/year and $5K/year?

Also please visit BFC and we will help you prepare for your creation's inevitable demise.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

brizna posted:

sell me a t shirt with the grenade logo on it and I will buy it. I know it didn't go well way back when but in web 2.0 era this can be done very easily I think.

I would maybe buy this shirt

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
make a fund raiser OP.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
im gonna buy plat so OP can have a spaghetti dinner

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lowtax, I am your neighbor now. I have been making smoked meats every weekend. Would you like to come eat some free meat? Please just don't do internet stuff at my house.

AlwaysBeSithing
Aug 27, 2015

by Ralp
kickstarter and patreon are popular now strike while the iron is hot

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hey Lowtax

small hendren posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

squartle posted:

The state lowtax put it in?? I kinda doubt he thinks so or probably he wouldn't have done it!
So what you're saying is he's purposely trying to lower traffic so server bills are lower. Brilliant!

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

AIN'T NOBODY BUYING NOTHING ON THE FORUMS AND WE'RE PULLING IN 90% LESS OF WHAT WE USED TO SO PLEASE GOD BUY SOMETHING, BUY ANYTHING, BUY EVERYTHING, I NEED ALL THE MONEY
Goondolences.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i will put money into the server kickstarter

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Concerned Citizen posted:

i will put money into the server any SA kickstarter

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Please give me an update on the status of Something Awful beer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Come on man I bought no ads already so I didn't have to deal with that. And Plat, archives, the whole Ferrari forums experience.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
don't sign your posts, op

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
ps i disabled adblock for this site the revenue problem should be solved

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thank you lowtax

I'll try and get more people to sign up

gbs is fine

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Hi Lowtax I already have every upgrade on here but for my gbs fantasy football league ill be buying some forum certs as prizes for the 1st and 2nd place and also a custom title for whatever preposterous fuckup comes in last so thats like 40-50bux u can take to the bank (in a few months)

Can u add some vanity options for the plat grenade icons bc i would happily buy a diamond or maybe a poo and i bet more users would rebuy their plat if they too could buy a diamond or maybe a poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ey here's some actual thoughts though being serious:

We don't have the popularity we used to, obviously. Now we have competition like Reddit and 4chan and such, too.

What are we doing to get new users? Who knows about SA? Like if you're a teenager right now, the only way you really know about it is if someone tells you about it. Then you get to the website, and the 'Forums' button is all the way in the top left, you can also get there through the directory drop down, and there's the popular threads thing, but it really isn't immediately obvious that there are discussion forums and they are the main part of the site.

Basically almost everyone I talk to says they heard about it from a friend, but as our user base and popularity declines we can rely on that word of mouth less and less. I'm pretty sure at this point the bulk of our new users comes from people in MMOs seeing the goon guilds stomp around.

Also, the front page stuff is great (imo) and I loved it a lot when a goon told me about SA, but I was reading the front page for a year before I even realized there were forums. I mean yeah maybe I'm an idiot but I know I'm not the only one whose done that. Maybe we can take some cues from modern webpage design to make the forums more accessible or readily obvious or something.

I think the format is fine. I love that we don't do the stupid upvote or - + poo poo. I think the forums are still (as forums go) one of the best moderated on the internet. There's legit great info in many of the subforums, and good discussion to be had in many others. We've got the product, it's our delivery/marketing that is lacking.

Granted the content has fallen off and that probably makes it a little more difficult (less photoshop phridays means less photos going around on the internet with the SA logo on em) but idk I feel like there's a lot of underutilized talent that could be given some direction with a free plat or avatar contest for the best shop or something like that.

longform snipe