Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

jm20 posted:

I played the campaign for the first time, after a maybe 2 hours of missions to figure out the controls and it was just as difficult as I'd expect. After losing my starter ship several times, I ended up successfully trading hundreds of units of heavy machinery for huge profits, and ended up buying a fast carrier with 3 fighter wings. I easily destroyed a bunch of wimpy fleets in hyperspace only to jump to a system with no market or fuel and starving to death. 5/5

Yes it is a harsh world.

e: for some actual content, how often do you guys use the quick save feature? Like if you get hosed up in battle, do you like quick load, or play through it? I've been doing the latter since its the only way I've been able to progress, but the former has a sort of appeal as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Yes it is a harsh world.

e: for some actual content, how often do you guys use the quick save feature? Like if you get hosed up in battle, do you like quick load, or play through it? I've been doing the latter since its the only way I've been able to progress, but the former has a sort of appeal as well.

constantly, but I'm a dirty save-scummer

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Count Roland posted:

Yes it is a harsh world.

It's me. I am the scum.

Tbh I'm kinda pissed about the death of the quicksave in general.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
To be fair to myself the reason I'm such a dirty save-scummer is because sometimes I get a little bit too :2bong: and get wildly optimistic about the kinds of fleets I can attack or far too aggressive for my own good inside the individual battles.

and by "sometimes" I mean "on days that end in Y"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll accept when I bite off more than I can chew or I get unlucky, but I'll savescum like an rear end in a top hat if complete horseshit happens.

Recently that has involved catching a bunch of 'allied' missiles up the pooper in the new, bigger fights. Because of course that flight of LRMs flares out and goes FFA just after it reorients at a target, which happens to be on the exact other side of me. :gibs:

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Count Roland posted:

Yes it is a harsh world.

The only reason to save scum right now is that most decent ships are very difficult to replace until you get good rep with a faction (welcoming+). Finding another sunder for sale, on the black market, that isn't a D is a huge pain in the rear end right now. Also, the enemy AI seems to be better at co-ordinating fleets than your friendly AI, and having only 3 command points in the beginning is really crappy (also it's not worth raising green skills right now because they are all really crap compared to tech and combat skills).

While writing this post I also began to realise how amazing this game would be in multiplayer. Ugh...I'll be in my bunk.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
edit: I'm dumb

FooF fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 4, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Black market is much better now. I started a new game, hopped over to Jangala and right away found a Sunder and Afflictor among other non (D) ships.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jinx posted:

The only reason to save scum right now is that most decent ships are very difficult to replace until you get good rep with a faction (welcoming+). Finding another sunder for sale, on the black market, that isn't a D is a huge pain in the rear end right now. Also, the enemy AI seems to be better at co-ordinating fleets than your friendly AI, and having only 3 command points in the beginning is really crappy (also it's not worth raising green skills right now because they are all really crap compared to tech and combat skills).

While writing this post I also began to realise how amazing this game would be in multiplayer. Ugh...I'll be in my bunk.

Game could really use a total overhaul of the skill tree. I think a branching tree like a an old style mmo talent tree with one point per skill would be stellar. Pumping 5 or 10 points into a skill isn't particularly interesting and percentage bonuses mess with balance something fierce.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Black market is much better now. I started a new game, hopped over to Jangala and right away found a Sunder and Afflictor among other non (D) ships.

That's the first thing I noticed, too. Started up a game a lo and behold, two phase lances, IR Pulse Lasers, and Heavy Blasters on the Black Market from the start! Fleet-wise, there were Kites (non-Pirate), a Sunder, and a Hound. Much better than before.

Demiurge4 posted:

Game could really use a total overhaul of the skill tree. I think a branching tree like a an old style mmo talent tree with one point per skill would be stellar. Pumping 5 or 10 points into a skill isn't particularly interesting and percentage bonuses mess with balance something fierce.

The Dev said he is going to overhaul it at some point in the future, possibly steering away from so many offensive capabilities and add some more defensive ones. However, he feels that overhauling that system needs a lot of testing and will require a bit of time. He doesn't want to do it multiple times, though he might have to anyway.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tying skills into your personal, your officers and physical assets would be a cool way to handle it. Your personal skills can govern accuracy and general performance. They can also influence your leadership in certain ways but those points are limited by the officers in your fleet and not your levels. Unassigned officers can give logistical bonuses to your fleet and certain officers specialize in these fields. You no longer improve them manually but rather they progress in their fields.

Industrial points work the same way but can be improved by physical assets. If you have an outpost with a fuel refinery your fleets burn less. If you have a lot of bugs or even own a comm relay or two this improves command points and your outposts trade more efficiently. Officers can also be assigned but medium and large outposts would generate what they require, though you can find and recruit especially skilled individuals.

A good way to gate advanced tech could be officers and personal skills. Without perfect skills energy weapons and phase frigates are prone to malfunction. For large parts of the game low tech ballistic weapons and older model ships win out by sheer reliability.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
The biggest reason to savescum for me is that there appears to be no way to tell who will join your battles in advance. Obviously there's some radius within which allied/enemy fleets join fights, but because I have no idea what that is, I occasionally attack a convoy and rope in a whole enemy fleet I thought was too far away, or attack a pirate scout only for a whole pirate armada to pop up in his defense that I hadn't even perceived on sensors. And there's no way to go "whoa, nevermind, backing the gently caress up" - at least in Mount & Blade, if you're the aggressor and you notice a nearby enemy host is joining the fight you can change your mind and leave without forcing a battle.

If I take on an enemy and lose, fine, that's on me, lesson learned. But when I take on a fast picket only to rope in a whole enemy strike fleet because they disengaged from the other battle they were in a fraction of a second before I attacked the picket, I feel no shame at reloading.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

If anyone wants to make money as an honest trader for some bizarre reason, don't overlook the value of fuel and supplies as trade goods. I just found a independent world Cethlenn in the Bybrasil system with a huge shortage. They started paying ~600 per supplies and now after I've done a bunch of runs there they pay ~400, so even buying supplies at the relatively high price of 100cr from Euchu Bres, I'm making a fast profit.

Before that I was trading fuel and supplies between the Hegemony and Tritachion worlds in Valhalla. It damaged my rep with just about everyone because I didn't bother to try to smuggle the goods in, but I made a lot of money there.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Lowen posted:

If anyone wants to make money as an honest trader for some bizarre reason, don't overlook the value of fuel and supplies as trade goods. I just found a independent world Cethlenn in the Bybrasil system with a huge shortage. They started paying ~600 per supplies and now after I've done a bunch of runs there they pay ~400, so even buying supplies at the relatively high price of 100cr from Euchu Bres, I'm making a fast profit.

Before that I was trading fuel and supplies between the Hegemony and Tritachion worlds in Valhalla. It damaged my rep with just about everyone because I didn't bother to try to smuggle the goods in, but I made a lot of money there.

Supplies and Fuel bounce all over the place and are typically the most vulnerable to trade disruption. Food used to be this but not any more. If you're routinely plundering pirates or trade fleets, selling fuel is the way to go.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How do I get my reputation with a faction above 70? Missions and bounties aren't doing anything anymore.

(haven't patched to 0.7.1a yet)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope it's easier to find good ships and weapons in this patch because it was frustrating figuring out how to make tons of cash trading fuel/supplies/machinery in 0.7 and then realizing you'd have to grind lots of dull faction missions to be able to spend it on anything worthwhile. I basically had a massive fleet of frigates, a Sunder with a tachyon lance (this is amazingly fun to fly, you can one-hit KO some frigates with it) and a Medusa. I'm giving it up with the new patch because I didn't watch my flux carefully enough against a sizeable tri-tach fleet and got my Sunder overloaded and sunk with torpedos :/ The Sunder hull itself is easy to replace but I can't even remember where I got the tachyon lance from as you need pretty high rep with Hegemony to buy it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

New patch is fantastic, my reputations are all hostile but at least I have a chance to work them back up now...

Or at least I would if I could work out how to break my Tri-tach commission, I tried doing some Hegemony bounties to get them out of hostile and break the commission that way but it just seemed to cancel the bounty without giving a reward.

I've bought out one of each capital ship and all their high tech weapons, now I just want to be able to massacre pirates in relative galactic peace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently you lose a commission if you drop too much rank with the faction in question.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

eXXon posted:

I hope it's easier to find good ships and weapons in this patch because it was frustrating figuring out how to make tons of cash trading fuel/supplies/machinery in 0.7 and then realizing you'd have to grind lots of dull faction missions to be able to spend it on anything worthwhile. I basically had a massive fleet of frigates, a Sunder with a tachyon lance (this is amazingly fun to fly, you can one-hit KO some frigates with it) and a Medusa. I'm giving it up with the new patch because I didn't watch my flux carefully enough against a sizeable tri-tach fleet and got my Sunder overloaded and sunk with torpedos :/ The Sunder hull itself is easy to replace but I can't even remember where I got the tachyon lance from as you need pretty high rep with Hegemony to buy it.

Tachyon Lance is almost exclusively a Tri-Tach thing but you'll occasionally find them on black markets and rarely in "cooperative" Hegemony military markets. I've only seen a few outside of Tri-Tach military markets though.

I have found that weapons are simply easier to come by since the newest patch. IR Pulse lasers aren't unicorns and neither are phase lances. What I still haven't seen a lot of are the new large missiles but the Gryphon shows up on Jangala pretty frequently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztd0csvDyE4

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
If you give an aggressive officer only short range weapons they will bowl all day and it's incredibly satisfying to watch.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Frag damage, son

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Frag damage, son

Yeah, it works better with regular HMGs but I like how the hull just loving melts at the end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What a stupid strategy, why is he doing that? oh...

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Did I miss some really obvious change, did I go insane, or I'm just not getting paid for named bounties? Not talking about bounties posted from hostile factions either, I'm pretty sure I got only the amount from killing X ships of Y size in two different cases, one from my commission faction (which I was friendly with) and one from independents when I had cooperative.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Irae posted:

Did I miss some really obvious change, did I go insane, or I'm just not getting paid for named bounties? Not talking about bounties posted from hostile factions either, I'm pretty sure I got only the amount from killing X ships of Y size in two different cases, one from my commission faction (which I was friendly with) and one from independents when I had cooperative.

It's a bug in the latest hotfix. A can of Raid is being deployed as we speak.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And yet another hotfix up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I noticed that a lot of the trade mission rewards are sucky now, and you can't find as many easy runs for fuel/supplies/machinery. On the other hand, I found one to transport a few thousand units of something rare (not the lobster but maybe luxury goods?) For a reward of 1.6 million. Uhhh okay then.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Scy just updated! :woop:

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
As a new player who's finally getting the hang of the combat in the game and actually making an attempted playthrough, I just had my most intense battle yet. I ran into an independent patrol fighting pirates that had a bunch of frigates along with a destroyer class (first time engaging one). The pirates were smart enough to stick close to the destroyer and had to make us move in close to engage. We picked off the smaller ships before two of the pirate frigates bugged out and ran off. We surrounded the destroyer while I got to its backside and plinked at it with the laser until it became vulnerable and let us all swarm it while its shields were down. It was amazing and fun. That thing had some crazy range on its lasers though, made it hard to move in.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know why smuggling investigations are even a thing since they don't actually have any correlation to how much smuggling you did. I got hit with a smuggling investigation after snagging a pair of AM blasters from a hegemony black market and disregarded it because who cares it's a pair of guns. Several hours later the investigation hits me with a 102 point penalty, loving my commission and the relations I'd been spending the playthrough cultivating.

edit: thankfully I had saved just far enough back for me to rush to the investigator and pay the bribe, but it still sticks out as one of the elements that really drags SS down

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Is there any efficient, good way to bounty hunt pirates? Seems the best thing to do is to patrol jumpgates or go to planets/pirate stations if any are available and kind of hope for the best. Also, if you hire on an officer, do you have to pay them daily or is it a one time deal so you get them for good?

Also, what are good ships to consider buying? I know wolf frigates, brawlers, and lashers are top picks (I think?) but a good reference system would be nice.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Seems to be a one-off fee.

Medusas are a pro purchase.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Haha if you hold a commission and another faction becomes hostile to yours you better make sure that the first thing you do is attack that faction enough to become hostile to it because if you don't you'll regularly get hit for 5 point penalties with your faction for every faction you're not hostile with and that adds up fuckin' quick.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blackray Jack posted:

Is there any efficient, good way to bounty hunt pirates? Seems the best thing to do is to patrol jumpgates or go to planets/pirate stations if any are available and kind of hope for the best. Also, if you hire on an officer, do you have to pay them daily or is it a one time deal so you get them for good?

Also, what are good ships to consider buying? I know wolf frigates, brawlers, and lashers are top picks (I think?) but a good reference system would be nice.

Enforcers, Sunders, Medusas, Hammerheads (less so but good with the right config), any phase frigate, Monitors (expensive but unkillable), Cerberuses (for hauling your poo poo and being a backup Lasher). Eventually you'll want some Condors and fighter wings like Thunders and Daggers. Really most things that aren't obvious noncombatants can be pretty decent now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gobblecoque posted:

Haha if you hold a commission and another faction becomes hostile to yours you better make sure that the first thing you do is attack that faction enough to become hostile to it because if you don't you'll regularly get hit for 5 point penalties with your faction for every faction you're not hostile with and that adds up fuckin' quick.

That sucks. I expected it was sort of like MB Warband where you automatically have the relations changed for you, since you're flying under a different flag.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Enforcers, Sunders, Medusas, Hammerheads (less so but good with the right config), any phase frigate, Monitors (expensive but unkillable), Cerberuses (for hauling your poo poo and being a backup Lasher). Eventually you'll want some Condors and fighter wings like Thunders and Daggers. Really most things that aren't obvious noncombatants can be pretty decent now.

Thanks for the help, I also forgot to mention weapons. Which kind are good and which ones are bad?

EDIT: I also just had a transport mission that required 10 pieces of machinery to another planet in the same system. Not only that but they also put in a bonus for quick delivery. :v: Is that common?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Different weapons perform different roles. Generally you'll want to look at the damage types to see what each weapon does best: Kinetic damage is great against shields, but suffers against armor. High Explosive damage does less vs shields, but gets a bonus vs armor and hull. Fragmentation damage does reduced damage vs both shields and armor, but does a lot of hull damage.

Due to the way shields and armor work, the damage numbers the weapons put out also have an influence. Weapons that put out a lot of low damage projectiles do better versus shields but are greatly affected by armor, and vice versa.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Weapons really depend on what you're trying to do. Some people really like tactical lasers and graviton beams on their wolves/medusas for easy long range pressure and frigate/fighter killing. I really like getting up close and wrecking shields with machine guns then finishing them off with Annihilator Rockets. I like a triple phase lance Sunder for crippling ships with EMP damage. I've seen some really nasty 6x antimatter blaster Medusa builds. Autopulse lasers are loving brutal if you have a spare large energy slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Avocados posted:

That sucks. I expected it was sort of like MB Warband where you automatically have the relations changed for you, since you're flying under a different flag.

Yeah, although actually it turns out that the relationship penalty isn't too big of a deal since if you have a commission then all kills net a small bounty and thus relationship increase.

I do hope that independents get removed from being a faction that can be at war if only so you can have reliable resupply points. It's not too bad with Hegemony since they have bases everywhere but if you ally with, say, the Luddic Church or Sindarian Diktat then it's gonna be a bitch traveling anywhere.