Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
is the psycho nausea on kickstarter or double fines own crowd funding site (fig)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i love you autocorrect

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my friend, let me tell you about New Vegas

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ayn rand hand job posted:

is the psycho nausea on kickstarter or double fines own crowd funding site (fig)

I wonder

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
has doublefine actually successfully completed a game since they became crowdfunding's poster child?

the impression i get is that they only reason why they got away with their crowdfunding failures was because star citizen stole their limelight

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

my friend, let me tell you about New Vegas

yeah that was the second one in the series

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Stymie posted:

has doublefine actually successfully completed a game since they became crowdfunding's poster child?

the impression i get is that they only reason why they got away with their crowdfunding failures was because star citizen stole their limelight

several

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
finish, yes

finish and have it turn out good, no

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
arbitrarially slapping 1.0 on a game doesn't really mean finished, tbf

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

arbitrarially slapping 1.0 on a game doesn't really mean finished, tbf

tell that to bethesda

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

darksiders 1 is better than 2

prototype is arguable but I think 2 lost something

prototype 2 added a way to deal with rocket dudes but lost running down the sidewalk with your shield out and accusing other people of being the prototype. not worth it imo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like Broken Age

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

double fine is a company that makes cute creative games and should completely be allowed to do so, and their biggest problem seems to be the intensely stupid decision to operate a medium sized business in sf. not sure about trying to finance a aaa game through crowdfunding, though, it seems like psychonauts 2 would be really, really short on content which is a huge problem for df because content is what they do best

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

although looking at their camaign, if those are the returns they've always been offering no wonder they haven't been able to find investors.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

if you consider -shock a franchise system shock 2

hell yeah

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

double fine is a company that makes cute creative games and should completely be allowed to do so, and their biggest problem seems to be the intensely stupid decision to operate a medium sized business in sf. not sure about trying to finance a aaa game through crowdfunding, though, it seems like psychonauts 2 would be really, really short on content which is a huge problem for df because content is what they do best

what the hell happened w/ spacebase df9 anyway

other than loving over early access i mean

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

can anyone else think of game series where the only really good one they put out was the second one? I can come up with silent hill 2 and assassin's creed 2. maybe gears of war 2?

resident evil 2

blood 2 lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the couple guys working on it got bored and decided they didn't want to do it no more

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
don't give tim schafer money

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

owns owns owns

ripping my friends UMDs to her psp memory stick, since shes been using a beat up 1001 for years this is gonna be like night and day
handling paid for psp content is a little weird for me tbqh

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Then they left the company.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

resident evil 2

:colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

other than loving over early access i mean

it's sales weren't high enough (even though it was early access and very light on their promised features) so they pulled the plug

just get startopia instead

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hey, they made a silent hill 2 pc port didn't they? too bad konami is konami, that would be a huge seller on Steam

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh, konami!

they wouldn't let kojima travel to accept MGSV game awards and Keighly called them out

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stymie posted:

everyone is overly nostalgic for Psychonauts and everything he did in the 90's

like the one true and good thing Bobby Kotick ever said:

quote:

"[Tim Schafer] comes out and says I'm a prick... I've never met him in my life – I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, Brütal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

"And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh, konami!

they wouldn't let kojima travel to accept MGSV game awards and Keighly called them out

their current ceo/board does not give a gently caress about video games no matter how much money it could make them and frankly I'm not sure they're wrong

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

hey, they made a silent hill 2 pc port didn't they? too bad konami is konami, that would be a huge seller on Steam

they made a PC port of 3 too and they're really good. the PC versions looked better than the HD ones they released a few years ago

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Al! posted:

their current ceo/board does not give a gently caress about video games no matter how much money it could make them and frankly I'm not sure they're wrong

a big part of the problem is in japan people have to be given fair compensation so you end up sinking so much more money into development and then once the game is out you basically can't fire anybody and layoffs between projects are also nearly unheard of and reflect badly on the company so you send employees to a boredom room and keep paying

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Katana Gomai posted:

i said all the vr poo poo will end up as vaporware back in August and i stand by that until there are actual packages sitting on store shelves

this was dumb then and it's still really dumb

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

this was dumb then and it's still really dumb

store shelves haha what year is this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DaS in the Bloodborne engine? yes PLEASE

gently caress so fluid, cant wait!!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
nerd devotes entire life to project, posts constant updates online, huge company buys project and says "we like this project and think it's the future so we're spending billions on it," releases prototype for final consumer version, nerd continues posting constant updates online, company talks about future revenue from project in financial filings

sounds like vaporware to me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey does anybody know if there's a way to hide threads from the thread list? because i keep accidentally clicking on this one

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

please stop, i can only get so hype

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al! posted:

they released a financial report that showed that basically every part of the company makes more money than video games

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh, konami!

they sent his phantom

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

As a Millennial I posted:

hey does anybody know if there's a way to hide threads from the thread list? because i keep accidentally clicking on this one

you should shame the console trash posters while you're in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

haveblue posted:

they're 30% of the way there in about 12 hours so it seems like it may have been a good idea

I'm sure it'll be just as good as Spacebase

• Locked thread