Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

mcmagic posted:

Buglers /= 4 year olds.

loving buglers waking me up with Reveille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and how many people think byron david smith did nothing wrong

so long as you wantonly murder the right kind of people you're not mentally ill. it's almost like it's a rhetorical fig leaf to absolve blame or something

Are you really not seeing the difference between that case and walking into a school full of 4 year old's and opening fire? really?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

That's what I'm wondering, if it's just propaganda that's been going on for a very long time. Though lack of hope doesn't really make sense in the San Bernadino shooting. They have a newborn baby, a steady job, etc. Alienation I can see, but it's not like you see any of the other immigrant groups that get poo poo on (Latino's especially) commiting mass shootings. Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

Under the definitions of mass shootings iterated a few days ago (4+ people getting shot in one occurrence) I'm sure there's plenty of Hispanic shooters.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

foobardog posted:

loving buglers waking me up with Reveille.

:golfclap:

Thank you for bringing some levity to an otherwise ghoulish couple of hours.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Are you really not seeing the difference between that case and walking in a school full of 4 year old's and opening fire? really?

adam lanza is not the only 'mentally ill' mass shooter out there

americans, on the whole, approve of a distressingly broad set of firearm deaths

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

What about them? They're certainly not comparable to groups like AQ or ISIS if that's what you're saying.

Are they? Radical Christianity has encouraged and praised people for blowing up abortion clinics in the name of their religion. Maybe they're an order of magnitude less dangerous because they are very narrow in their focus, but they're still radical ideologists.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

But this isn't linked to ISIS :confused:

Too late, Fox news has "Wife in Calif. shooting pledged allegiance to ISIS" on the front page.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SquadronROE posted:

Are they? Radical Christianity has encouraged and praised people for blowing up abortion clinics in the name of their religion. Maybe they're an order of magnitude less dangerous because they are very narrow in their focus, but they're still radical ideologists.

I feel like the victims of Oklahoma City would disagree with you.

Could be wrong here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

americans, on the whole, approve of a distressingly broad set of firearm deaths

I'm not going to argue with that statement but a classroom full of 4 year olds isn't something that is encompassed by that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Are you really not seeing the difference between that case and walking in a school full of 4 year old's and opening fire? really?

I'm not sure where I stand on this argument myself, but I will say that the only difference I see is in degree of justification, if any exists. If neither act is justified, how can we say one shooter is more mentally ill than another? Or whether mental illness was a requirement for an unjustified act to take place?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

I'm not going to argue with that statement but a classroom full of 4 year olds isn't something that is encompassed by that.

well the 4 year olds were spending a whole lot of time hanging out irresponsibly in a gun free zone. personal responsibility starts at conception

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To reduce the motivation of people to prurient interests in big titted Sky babes is pretty demeaning. I mean there are you know some legitimate issues to be worried about.

I mean "why do they hate us!?" It's a big mystery huh.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I feel like the victims of Oklahoma City would disagree with you.

Could be wrong here.

In the "less dangerous" part? Yeah, that's just a judgment call on my part. I bet a ton of people would disagree with that statement (which, by the way, I don't agree with. I'm more afraid of a right wing lynch mob than I am of Muslims).

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Carly Fiorina has commented on why we don't need to worry about people already on terrorist watchlists buying guns.

quote:

"That's kind of a red herring, honestly. If somebody is a suspected terrorist on a watch list they can be indicted at any time. And once you are indicted you cannot own a firearm. So let's enforce the laws we have. Let's start with that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/carly-fiorina-terror-watchlist-guns_56604c39e4b079b2818d5214

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

This. Assuming these shooters weren't actually directed by ISIS (which so far the FBI seems to think is the case), then I don't really see the difference between:

"I will shoot some infidels because these pro-ISIS youtube videos have convinced me they are committing atrocities against Muslims"

and

"I will shoot these abortionists because Matt Walsh/Bill O'reilly/Carly Fiorina has convinced me that they are committing atrocities against the unborn."

or

"I will shoot these black church goers because 4chan and stormfront have convinced me they are taking our white women and committing white genocide."

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Is it more intentional or morally encompassing that plowing into a crowd of kids with your automobile while texting? Possession of a firearm doesn't make you automatically insane, nor is using it in the way it was intended.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Aerox posted:

Carly Fiorina has commented on why we don't need to worry about people already on terrorist watchlists buying guns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/carly-fiorina-terror-watchlist-guns_56604c39e4b079b2818d5214

I mean if this is an issue that works electorally against the GOP, dems should use it but it's it's smallest of small bore reform.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For those actually curious about the 47 virgins thing, first the number 47 in the Koran is just used to mean "a lot" like when Jesus says seven times seven or when they made 40 loaves of bread. Or E number 23. Lots of recurring numbers in the bible that aren't literal totals, just shorthand for "a large amount". And the virgins aren't actual people, they're like, seraphims or something, servants to serve the master and make them comfortable in every way, including, yes, sex. Angels are considered a lower being than man in the eyes of God and have no free will.

Basically it just says if you die for your religion you get mad rich and tons of servants/harem in heaven. This was written in like 600 CE, mind you.

So in conclusion, it's more like infinite sex robots than a specific number of pure, never penetrated girls.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SquadronROE posted:

In the "less dangerous" part? Yeah, that's just a judgment call on my part. I bet a ton of people would disagree with that statement (which, by the way, I don't agree with. I'm more afraid of a right wing lynch mob than I am of Muslims).

Well that's basically the point. You have idiots like TDR who think that MOOSLEMS are so scary, when really, there is a way more immediate and greater threat being posed by domestically sourced, right-wing terrorism.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aerox posted:

Arrest all watched people for thoughtcrimes, got it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Is it more intentional or morally encompassing that plowing into a crowd of kids with your automobile while texting? Possession of a firearm doesn't make you automatically insane, nor is using it in the way it was intended.

Are you serious?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Talmonis posted:

That's what I'm wondering, if it's just propaganda that's been going on for a very long time. Though lack of hope doesn't really make sense in the San Bernadino shooting. They have a newborn baby, a steady job, etc. Alienation I can see, but it's not like you see any of the other immigrant groups that get poo poo on (Latino's especially) commiting mass shootings. Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

These two may well not have been suicide attackers. They did try to run from the police, after all.

From what I hear, radicalization of second generation people is often driven by anger at what they see as crimes by the West against Muslims in other countries. I believe the Boston marathon bomber cited Chechnya and Iraq as his grievances, for instance.

Regardless, while this probably was ideologically motivated, I think there is a good chance that these two had more going on than your "typical" terrorist. So many of their actions - attacking their own workplace, attending the party beforehand, going home and doing nothing for 3 hours afterwards, almost immediately deleting the Facebook pledge of allegiance and making no further attempts to communicate their motivations - make little sense in the context of a terrorist attack, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit more to it.

SquadronROE posted:

In terms of death toll, right wing terrorists are significantly more dangerous in the US than Islamic terrorists, with the exception of 9/11. AQ and ISIS are far more dangerous in other parts of the world, but that's hardly surprising since US right wing groups don't operate outside US borders.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

euphronius posted:

Latin America is not currently being destroyed by American forces and allies.

It was though. A lot.

McDowell posted:

His wife had emigrated fairly recently.

Adam Lanza was just as sane as the 9/11 hijackers.

Murdering children face to face is a far cry from flying planes into buildings. They may have been "crazy", but Lanza was beyond loving nuts. Same with that bastard Assange.

so long as you wantonly murder the right kind of people you're not mentally ill. it's almost like it's a rhetorical fig leaf to absolve blame or something

Murdering children is pretty universally reviled in the modern age. From here to Russia to the Middle East. I'm pretty sure the southern hemisphere feels that way as well, but I don't know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All Muslims get them not just martyrs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Murdering children is pretty universally reviled in the modern age. From here to Russia to the Middle East. I'm pretty sure the southern hemisphere feels that way as well, but I don't know.

thanks for letting us know that you disapprove of child murder. i also disapprove of child murder. anyone else wanna weigh in on this? yay or nay to brutal child deaths?

now aside from child hater adam lanza, what are some other persons who committed murder who might straddle the mental illness line, such as byron david smith? how might this indicate that accusations of mental illness against murderers is just an escape hatch for people who would otherwise agree with the murderer?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Talmonis posted:

Murdering children face to face is a far cry from flying planes into buildings. They may have been "crazy", but Lanza was beyond loving nuts. Same with that bastard Assange.

Um, I think you mean Anders Brevikh, not Julian Assange.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Are you serious?

You don't have to be mentally ill to have the capacity to kill someone, especially in context that most deaths in America are conducted by ordinary people acting in a perfectly rational framework in their mindset.

fake edit: That also includes killing children

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

greatn posted:

The FBI doesn't call up the president for approval before stating investigation proceedings. Don't be a conspiracy nut

So the head of the FBI was going to give a presser right now about this.

And Obama just sent Loretta Lynch to make it a co-presser because they're not happy about the categorization of the attack. So they're delaying the conference until she gets there.

There's an inside the beltway slap fight going on right now, what a clusterfuck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You don't have to be mentally ill to have the capacity to kill someone, especially in context that most deaths in America are conducted by ordinary people acting in a perfectly rational framework in their mindset.

You're responding to a point that no one in this thread actually made.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

If have a "perfectly rational framework" that leads me to paranoid delusions am I no longer insane because I can rationalize it to myself?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

If have a "perfectly rational framework" that leads me to paranoid delusions am I no longer insane because I can rationalize it to myself?

If you define making rational decisions and being mentally ill as being mutually exclusive like the American public, then yeah

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So the head of the FBI was going to give a presser right now about this.

And Obama just sent Loretta Lynch to make it a co-presser because they're not happy about the categorization of the attack. So they're delaying the conference until she gets there.

There's an inside the beltway slap fight going on right now, what a clusterfuck

You're basing this on, exactly what knowledge? Are you a white house insider?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

To reduce the motivation of people to prurient interests in big titted Sky babes is pretty demeaning. I mean there are you know some legitimate issues to be worried about.

I mean "why do they hate us!?" It's a big mystery huh.

Well I'm not about to write a term paper but you know what I was saying

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're basing this on, exactly what knowledge? Are you a white house insider?

They said it on msnbc

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

quote:

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 3m3 minutes ago
.@JRubenBlogger one of the dumber bloggers @washingtonpost only writes purposely inaccurate pieces on me. She is in love with Marco Rubio?

I wish he would stop with the racism so I could just enjoy how awesome he is as a candidate...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lynch is the fbi directors boss.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

They said it on msnbc

Seems totally legit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

INH5 posted:

In terms of death toll, right wing terrorists are significantly more dangerous in the US than Islamic terrorists, with the exception of 9/11. AQ and ISIS are far more dangerous in other parts of the world, but that's hardly surprising since US right wing groups don't operate outside US borders.
Tell that to Nigeria and Uganda.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Oracle posted:

Tell that to Nigeria and Uganda.

That's true. We do export anti-homosexual violence pretty effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Man, if only that couple knew their explosives well enough, they could've taken out a shitload of retarded and incompetent reporters. Woulda been a net gain for the US media tbh.

Jesus what a bunch of dumb fuckers.

edit: Or cops and FBI guys, I guess, but here's hoping they would've used an EOD team to properly sweep the place. Still, buncha jackass reporters.

• Locked thread