Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
When is the next update dropping? Should be soon right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I played with a wheel for the first time, and unfortunately years of flight/space simming have destroyed my pedal muscle memory. When I'm in a tight turn I keep trying to "yaw" through it with the pedals :downs:. Practice, practice.

I'm using a Driving Force GT (Christmas present for dad) until my G27 gets here tomorrow. I'm sure adding a third pedal and an H-shifter won't complicate things at all.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

Max a week away I think

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Skwee posted:

The stratos has a place in my heart cuz of this mod for battlefield 1942 called interstate '82 that i guess is based off of a game with a similar name.
Interstate '82 was great. Still have a post-it note in the bowels of my desk that I occasionally come across, listing the name of the first to complete each level within my group of friends for bragging rights.

It's a shame EA/:dice: killed off their modding communities because they were adding too much longevity to their games because BF1942 was a treasure trove of good mods.

SinineSiil posted:

30km/h "drifts" aren't that exciting or fast. How do I drive rallycross properly with pad?

Also as I said before AI cars are like on train tracks. They push you out of way way without any effort, in online people still push you out of the way but it also affects their course as well and I actually can return the favor.

Edit: In Höljes Clubman starting from second row right side the car on the left always tries to ram me into the barrier only second after start.
Yeah, some of the cars have funky setups that are rather a pain in the rear end to make less prone to the slow-slide behavior. I personally like the Impreza and Peugeot 208 since they are, out of the box, much less liable to get slow-slide happy and just handle much more like most of the rally cars in the game.

In terms of driving them with a pad for optimal results: make sure you're slowing down enough before corners, especially tarmac ones, because inadequate braking is generally the cause of slow-sliding. Also, be gentle on the steering input since steering more than necessary can similarly cause it since, again, you're breaking the grip of the tires with the road by trying to turn too hard for the grip.*

In terms of AI: it used to be a lot worse both in terms of them trying not to hit you and them being on rails making it difficult for you to hinder them. The only issues I seem to have with the AI since their patch on it is that on Hell, Norway they are still stupid as gently caress about taking the Joker and will blindside you (or each other) if you aren't cautious (if you have an AI that hasn't taken their Joker close behind, hug the inside line into turn one).

* Might be talking out my rear end, but I assume physically that: it's way different than losing grip in normal circuit racing because RX cars have the soft suspension for offroad portions as well so, instead of just flying off course from carrying too much speed, the suspension is eating enough of the energy that you get an awkward slow slide (that, if done in real life, would probably murder your tires) instead of just blazing right off course like stiff normal circuit racing suspensions do since there's not much give to them to absorb energy.

Black Griffon posted:

It's loving ace when you manage to plant one of those fuckers in the wall though. Assholes have it coming.
Definitely one of the more cathartic things in Dirt Rally to successfully ruin an AI.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Red_Fred posted:

The forums seem to think it's not gonna be until Coleman is back from holidays in 2 weeks.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I'm betting the forums are wrong since the most recent blog post makes it sound pretty explicit that it should be released before he's back.

Agreeing with the notion of probably sometime next week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

I'm betting the forums are wrong since the most recent blog post makes it sound pretty explicit that it should be released before he's back.

Agreeing with the notion of probably sometime next week.

If its not tomorrow its next week I think. Wednesdays seem to be the days.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

bUm posted:

Yeah, some of the cars have funky setups that are rather a pain in the rear end to make less prone to the slow-slide behavior. I personally like the Impreza and Peugeot 208 since they are, out of the box, much less liable to get slow-slide happy and just handle much more like most of the rally cars in the game.

In terms of driving them with a pad for optimal results: make sure you're slowing down enough before corners, especially tarmac ones, because inadequate braking is generally the cause of slow-sliding. Also, be gentle on the steering input since steering more than necessary can similarly cause it since, again, you're breaking the grip of the tires with the road by trying to turn too hard for the grip.*

In terms of AI: it used to be a lot worse both in terms of them trying not to hit you and them being on rails making it difficult for you to hinder them. The only issues I seem to have with the AI since their patch on it is that on Hell, Norway they are still stupid as gently caress about taking the Joker and will blindside you (or each other) if you aren't cautious (if you have an AI that hasn't taken their Joker close behind, hug the inside line into turn one)
Thank you for recommending Peugeot. It's much much much nicer to drive than the Polo I bought. I liked driving Polo in August and acquired it immediately when I got the money. I wish I could refund cars :c
I have tried changing setup of Polo, but I don't know much. I got it to accelerate much faster out of corners and spin out less, but it's still terrible to drive with a pad.

Gas and brake on pad would be nicer If I could change the curves so 80% depressed trigger won't equal 100% throttle/brake ingame. Smooth steering with sticks is just plain impossible for me because of the tiny movement range. It's fine on gravel and surfaces like that but bad on tarmac.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SinineSiil posted:

Thank you for recommending Peugeot. It's much much much nicer to drive than the Polo I bought. I liked driving Polo in August and acquired it immediately when I got the money. I wish I could refund cars :c
I have tried changing setup of Polo, but I don't know much. I got it to accelerate much faster out of corners and spin out less, but it's still terrible to drive with a pad.

Gas and brake on pad would be nicer If I could change the curves so 80% depressed trigger won't equal 100% throttle/brake ingame. Smooth steering with sticks is just plain impossible for me because of the tiny movement range. It's fine on gravel and surfaces like that but bad on tarmac.

Have you tried those stick extender addons?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Norns posted:

Have you tried those stick extender addons?
Nope, there are ones for Xbone controller?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

I wish I could refund cars :c

This is why I've started test driving cars in single event before buying cars. If I didn't do that I'd have bought an F2 car without realising those things are miserable on gravel. Fun as hell on tarmac though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SinineSiil posted:

Nope, there are ones for Xbone controller?

Yeah I've seen them for xbone pads

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

This is why I've started test driving cars in single event before buying cars. If I didn't do that I'd have bought an F2 car without realising those things are miserable on gravel. Fun as hell on tarmac though.
When I first got the game in August I loved driving kit cars in Germany, but somehow never tried them anywhere else. Now I have enough money saved up to buy a new car and I considered one of those. Would've bought one too If I hadn't been burned so badly with rallycross Polo. Tried it out in Wales and was surprised how it didn't handle like I remembered at all, haha

Norns posted:

Yeah I've seen them for xbone pads
Thanks! I'll take a look, maybe order one if shipping isn't too expensive.
Edit: Amazon doesn't ship those to Estonia :( I'll search from other places tomorrow.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 2, 2015

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Attn UKfriends: G29 on Currys for an insane price.

It has never been below £230 before and likely never will again for a long time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Popehoist posted:

Attn UKfriends: G29 on Currys for an insane price.

It has never been below £230 before and likely never will again for a long time.

I can do you one better. Thrustmaster T150 for £109 on Amazon right now. Only downside is there's no clutch pedal but you can get the T3PA pedals for around £80. If you can spend a little more you can get the T300 for £230 from Amazon Warehouse.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

njsykora posted:

I can do you one better. Thrustmaster T150 for £109 on Amazon right now. Only downside is there's no clutch pedal but you can get the T3PA pedals for around £80. If you can spend a little more you can get the T300 for £230 from Amazon Warehouse.

It's a good black friday for sim racers, bloody hell.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus Christ, I might go for this. With pedals additional it'll run me the same as a discounted G29, but I still get 50 pounds off or so on the wheel compared to Norwegian prices, with import and shipping and everything counted.

Fuuck, I'm gonna end up stressing over whether it's a good idea or not until the sale is over.

Edit: Granted; it'll be a bit more if I buy a stick shifter too. It's never a perfect deal.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 2, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Jesus Christ, I might go for this. With pedals additional it'll run me the same as a discounted G29, but I still get 50 pounds off or so on the wheel compared to Norwegian prices, with import and shipping and everything counted.

Fuuck, I'm gonna end up stressing over whether it's a good idea or not until the sale is over.

Edit: Granted; it'll be a bit more if I buy a stick shifter too. It's never a perfect deal.

With the Thrustmaster as well you can buy the T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter and they'll then still work if you upgrade to a TX or T300, which is easier now they're releasing the wheel without pedals for precisely that reason. Shifters I don't think are that necessary, largely because I'm not good at using them outside Euro Truck Simulator.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There were 157 achievements when I went to bed last night.

There are 170 now.

It's coming....

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

There were 157 achievements when I went to bed last night.

There are 170 now.

It's coming....
They're all course delta time ones. No hints about other content. Sad

Edit: I just had a online rallycross bug where other opponents speeded away before even the countdown started and they didn't even get an penalty for that.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 2, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Dirty Gossip thread figured the real world stage the stage names come from. And well, keep mid over big jump. About a full second of airtime at over 90mph.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Are Greece stages based on real life?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Were the gear ratios in the daily event 405 messed up for everyone else too? There were 5 or 6 places where I was pinging off the rev limiter for seconds at a time.

Related, I really hate the stock setup on that car.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jammyozzy posted:

Were the gear ratios in the daily event 405 messed up for everyone else too? There were 5 or 6 places where I was pinging off the rev limiter for seconds at a time.

Related, I really hate the stock setup on that car.

Yeah I couldn't drive the thing, it was painful.

SinineSiil posted:

Are Greece stages based on real life?

I think all the stages are based on real life stages, like all the Wales stages are based on the Sweet Lamb complex, Germany is a real military base, Col de Turini is a real stage too.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

Yeah I couldn't drive the thing, it was painful.

I think all the stages are based on real life stages, like all the Wales stages are based on the Sweet Lamb complex, Germany is a real military base, Col de Turini is a real stage too.

Yeah, knew about those, but had never heard or seen any comparisons of Greece stages to real life.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Is there yellow house in dirt rally?

This is how I feel every time after finishing a league https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6puR2RoUE

hillo fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 3, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

Yeah, knew about those, but had never heard or seen any comparisons of Greece stages to real life.

The Greece stages are based off the Acropolis Rally, which used to be part of the WRC calendar, now part of the ERC calendar.

hillo posted:

Is there yellow house in dirt rally?

Yup.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jehde posted:

The Greece stages are based off the Acropolis Rally, which used to be part of the WRC calendar, now part of the ERC calendar.
Sweet. Hopefully they can do real world courses again in their next rally games.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

I've been so focused on driving that i've missed it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Road Book? Road Book. Final Road Book? The highlights.

- 1.0 is imminent, expect it #soon.
- VW Polo Rally and Hyundai i20 (called the Hyundai Rally) confirmed for the 2010s class, they'll the last cars to be released 'this year' so maybe ongoing support into next year? That 1980s class could use a few more cars.
- Everyone who's played the game in Early Access now has Founder status on Racenet. Marked by a crown on leaderboards and a special livery for the Group A Impreza.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 4, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Goddamn do I hate Finland. Nothing but jumps and 100% light gravel with deep ruts on the sides of the road. 8 right rear punctures. EIGHT. THERE WERE SIX STAGES. EIGHT RIGHT REAR PUNCTURES. RIGHT REAR IS GONE. RIGHT. REAR. IS. GONE.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Goddamn do I hate Finland. Nothing but jumps and 100% light gravel with deep ruts on the sides of the road. 8 right rear punctures. EIGHT. THERE WERE SIX STAGES. EIGHT RIGHT REAR PUNCTURES. RIGHT REAR IS GONE. RIGHT. REAR. IS. GONE.

I love Finland because jumps are awesome. Wales is my problem course. :argh: :smaug: :argh:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

njsykora posted:

That 1980s class could use a few more cars.

There's about 3 more 80's RWD cars I can see fitting in. AE86, Volvo 240 Turbo and Alpine A310.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Triple A posted:

There's about 3 more 80's RWD cars I can see fitting in. AE86, Volvo 240 Turbo and Alpine A310.

I just saw these pics on Reddit comments:

Were there really these two ingame and Renault told Codemasters to remove them or something?

Edit: They were leaked from somewhere.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Addendum: my G27 just arrived, so now every course is my problem course.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Shine posted:

Addendum: my G27 just arrived, so now every course is my problem course.
Yeah, just got my G29 today, and holy gently caress I'm doing terrible (Still better than the delta time :smug:). Anyone got any tips on force-feedback settings?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Did you do the weekly? This marked the first time I almost destroyed a car in this game. Twice punctured tires landing from jumps, again from sidewalling a kevlar bush, and did the entire last 1.5 stages with 0 radiator and my engine making a progressively sinister hissing noise I could only assume means "preparing to commit suicide." I still drove it to the wall on that last stage though because #YORO.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

Yeah, just got my G29 today, and holy gently caress I'm doing terrible (Still better than the delta time :smug:). Anyone got any tips on force-feedback settings?

I took this FFB mod and made a few tweaks (I like the wheel to be a bit "heavier" than this mod makes it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Yeah use Impact for now and use the settings they suggest as a baseline. 1.0 should be changing the FFB with the final v2 handling updates though so don't get too comfy with it

• Locked thread