Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Welcome to the Dirt Megathread, here we drive cars through mud and crash into trees. So many trees...

Officially the evolution of the Colin McRae Rally series, Dirt expanded the CMR mainstay race types of rally, rally, rally, rally and rally to include Rally Raid, Rallycross and Hillclimb events. It was very good and provided a new base to build on as the WRC got more and more stale and boring (thanks Sebastian) and people started to lose interest in rally. It also better reflected McRae's career at the time, as he was competing in Dakar rally raids and the X-Games having left full time rallying.

Sadly a day after the release of the PS3 version of Dirt in Europe, Colin McRae, his son and 2 friends were killed in a helicopter crash. Dirt 2 added Landrush to the circuit racing options and replaced Hillclimb with Trailblazer (effectively the same thing but not always up a hill). The game also brought the Flashback feature, which had debuted in Codemasters' other racing series Grid, to the Dirt series. The part everyone probably remembers most however is the excellent tribute to Colin that ended the game.

Colin McRae's name came off the series for Dirt 3 and things started to go downhill. More ideas were taken from Grid including getting sponsors for your team but really this game is most notorious for one thing. Gymkhana. Having been popularised by Ken Block in the time between Dirt 2 and 3, Gymkhana was effectively a drifting challenge and while beloved by some people was despised by those who were here for the racing and didn't want to do incredibly fiddly drift challenges as part of the career mode.

Dirt gets EXTREEEEEEEEEME. Showdown doubled down on the Gymkhana stuff with an entire 'Hoonigan' class of events. It did however include destruction derby races and arena so wasn't a complete lost cause.

With everything having gotten a bit out of hand Dirt Rally was a much needed return to basics and was announced less than 30 minutes before being put up on Steam as an early access game. A new simulation-based physics model, focus on rally and the introduction of historic rally cars got it an immediate audience. The addition of Rallycross with an official FIA World Rallycross licence and the Pikes Peak hillclimb added some diversions. Mostly though the game got a repuation for punishing difficulty with the handling model and stage design making it very easy for new players (and old players) to throw cars into trees. It's a very good game.

Dirt 4 expands on Dirt Rally's simulation handling model but also adds in an arcade handling mode more similar to Dirt 3. It also adds in 3 more World Rallycross tracks and brings back Landrush to race trucks, buggies and the awesome Crosskarts around. Gymkhana is also semi-returned with block smash and time attacks, however this time these are split off into their own mini-campaign rather than being forced into the career mode. The big feature however is the Your Stage creation tool for rallying, giving the game a theoretical 100,000+ possible stages. However the game doesn't have any current WRC cars, instead having the lower level R4 cars as its most modern class.

Seriously, don't cut.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
Absolutely adore this game. Not sure if I want to spend 220 bucks for a g27 wheel, especially if it's only for this game, but it sure tempts me.

The audio of the co-driver as he calls out his pace notes is my favorite part I think. Nothing better than being told to be brave as you take a turn.

Edit: As someone who sucks, does anyone who's very experienced with the game mind writing down which cars to use in each class for those of us who haven't invested enough time to really get a feel for each one?

Wegee fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 4, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Wegee posted:

Not sure if I want to spend 220 bucks for a g27 wheel, especially if it's only for this game, but it sure tempts me.

You do.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Wegee posted:

Absolutely adore this game. Not sure if I want to spend 220 bucks for a g27 wheel, especially if it's only for this game, but it sure tempts me.

The audio of the co-driver as he calls out his pace notes is my favorite part I think. Nothing better than being told to be brave as you take a turn.

Edit: As someone who sucks, does anyone who's very experienced with the game mind writing down which cars to use in each class for those of us who haven't invested enough time to really get a feel for each one?

I'll actually give you a pro-tip, skip the G27 and just go for something more expensive and save yourself the trouble of upgrading later.

Edit: I have a 12 month old G27 for sale for 150$ shipped. It has a Nixie spring mod in the pedals which guarantees 3 seconds off any lap time and a rock hard johnson.

osker fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 4, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wegee posted:

First off get a wheel if you feel tempted and can afford one, wheels and pedals make not just this game but most other racing games way more fun. I have a G27 and love it. As for cars I use the Lancia option in every class that has one.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Wegee posted:

Absolutely adore this game.

It is worthy of adoration.

I tried each one I was considering buying in career in a Custom Event first (same stage, see what felt good and what put down better times) and would recommend that. Failing that, the most HP per kg is usually a strong bet for it being strong in class (unless it's really close to others, in which case you'll need to flip a coin or test drive to see which feels better to you).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

It is worthy of adoration.

I tried each one I was considering buying in career in a Custom Event first (same stage, see what felt good and what put down better times) and would recommend that. Failing that, the most HP per kg is usually a strong bet for it being strong in class (unless it's really close to others, in which case you'll need to flip a coin or test drive to see which feels better to you).

Alternatively, once you reach Clubman level you'll be bringing in 60k credits per rally so you'll basically be done with money trouble and can just buy everything.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, don't be afraid to just fill every mechanic slot you have with the 32k+ credit guys, you'll realise just how cheap they are when you're past Clubman.

Also, as soon as you can, skip the '70s and '80s cars, go straight for the Type B 4WD cars. They're so much easier and let you focus on learning lines rather than having to fight the back end constantly nudging ahead. The '60s Austin Mini is a great car for learning the ropes, though.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just had a personal first while doing the goon league in the group B car. I was in a skid at full lock, then went to spin the wheel back around to center as things got back under control.

My hand slipped off the wheel, and I punched myself in the balls. Hard.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I smashed the gently caress out of my funnybone on my desk more than once. Hard enough that my pinky finger went numb.

The experience was realistic enough that I kinda forgot it was a desk and summed it up to smacking it on a roll bar or side bolster or something.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wegee posted:

wheels are good but you might want to keep in mind getting one compatible with any console racers you may or may not be interested in :greenangel:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I still have troubles believing this game is a thing sometimes. It's more than I could ever ask for in a rally game. You might wanna add the state of the FFB in the OP. Currently they've released their first FFB patch which fixes a lot, but it still isn't ideal yet. There's a mod floating around that makes the patch even better supposedly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jehde posted:

I still have troubles believing this game is a thing sometimes. It's more than I could ever ask for in a rally game. You might wanna add the state of the FFB in the OP. Currently they've released their first FFB patch which fixes a lot, but it still isn't ideal yet. There's a mod floating around that makes the patch even better supposedly.

Yeah I was considering putting that mod in since I use it myself.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Germany having grip is a dangerous myth to perpetuate since you're constantly in an off-camber or downhill turn. It's too tempting to just stand on the throttle and fly into a bush when the track disappears out from under you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SealHammer posted:

Germany having grip is a dangerous myth to perpetuate since you're constantly in an off-camber or downhill turn. It's too tempting to just stand on the throttle and fly into a bush when the track disappears out from under you.

Tarmac roads have loads of grip and there is never any danger of going off the road.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Germany - Tarmac roads with more grip than you could possibly use except for when you really need it

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

ManicJason posted:

I just had a personal first while doing the goon league in the group B car. I was in a skid at full lock, then went to spin the wheel back around to center as things got back under control.

My hand slipped off the wheel, and I punched myself in the balls. Hard.
Goon League: out of curiosity since I haven't played in awhile, did they make it no longer count down stages on your Career crews' contracts when doing online leagues yet? Seemed kind of dumb to cost career-mode money doing something that has no potential to yield money.

Rest: :ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Goon League: out of curiosity since I haven't played in awhile, did they make it no longer count down stages on your Career crews' contracts when doing online leagues yet? Seemed kind of dumb to cost career-mode money doing something that has no potential to yield money.

Rest: :ohdear:

I think any stage you run in any mode will run down your crew contracts, since miles driven outside career also go towards unlocking their perk slots I think.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

I think any stage you run in any mode will run down your crew contracts, since miles driven outside career also go towards unlocking their perk slots I think.
Weak, especially since I unlocked the slots with the ~300,000 credits it took before they made the change to unlock them based on distance driven. :smith:

Kind of hope they change that at some point and just make league options for level of crews given to people (and, thereby, it doesn't charge them since everyone gets the same crew that is separate from career) rather than using the career-mode crew. Custom Events I've done for testing don't seem to count them down, but maybe that's because I tend to test on a single stage event that has no repair sessions.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
Just purchased Osker's G27. Really excited to experience the game the way it was meant to be played.

Now I almost don't feel like booting it up until the wheel arrives though.

One thing this games makes me want to do though is go out and pick up a cheap Impreza to complement my Miata. Was never really into rally until I started playing this game for some reason.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Great game. Does the co-driver actually say "jump, maybe" or am I mishearing it?
(also Wegee do get an impreza I'll miss my old 2000 2.5RS coupe forever)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

My mom is a slut posted:

Great game. Does the co-driver actually say "jump, maybe" or am I mishearing it?
(also Wegee do get an impreza I'll miss my old 2000 2.5RS coupe forever)

Yes, also I've heard him say "don't cut, be brave".

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The "maybe" mean literally that. You might get some air if you're going fast enough.

Reminder that they're not technically pacenotes, which are personalized for the car/driver/condition/etc. Codemasters calls them "routenotes" or something and emphasize that they're general notes for the track. Which is where the common complaint of inaccurate calls comes from I think.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 5, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pik_d posted:

Yes, also I've heard him say "don't cut, be brave".

Be brave is my favourite note, basically I know it doesn't look like we can take this flat out but just trust me OK? He also stumbles over the pace notes occasionally which I like since it happens rarely enough to be charming without becoming annoying.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I finished in the top 50 or something in the Owner's Club for the 205 T16 yesterday and I have no idea how. And the top dude was separated from the tenth dude by something ridiculous like 12 seconds. I really want to see how these guys play.

Unfortunately, my times disappeared from the last league event. Oh well, time to start from the bottom :getin:

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 5, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game is amazing. The Dark Souls of racing games.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

SealHammer posted:

I finished in the top 50 or something in the Owner's Club for the 205 T16 yesterday and I have no idea how. And the top dude was separated from the tenth dude by something ridiculous like 12 seconds. I really want to see how these guys play.

Unfortunately, my times disappeared from the last league event. Oh well, time to start from the bottom :getin:

Yeah that was weird, it showed you in 3rd before the time ended, then you were nowhere

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Can't believe I've only just started playing this. Not a single surfer bro or gymkhana in sight...

I'm about three events in and I haven't driven anything but Lancias. And I can see why they stopped group B.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Retrying this on a g27 has frustrated me and reminded me why i hate codemaster games. Back to waiting for patches again.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

OhsH posted:

Retrying this on a g27 has frustrated me and reminded me why i hate codemaster games. Back to waiting for patches again.

Did you use the FFB mod? The stock FFB is hot garbage and even worse than original release, IMO. I don't expect Codemasters to improve it at all, just like I don't expect them to fix the horrible console menu (on a PC exclusive game, no less. Brilliant,) how every menu control is mapped to some obscure thing like "button 15," and how the clutch pedal magically does not work if you use auto clutch, meaning you cannot dump the clutch to spin back around on track.

Game still owns bones even with all of that.

edit: Also have you tried punching yourself in the balls while driving?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Tried it without, and replaced the feedback folder with the mod and kind of felt a difference but still had the general "codemasters cant make wheels feel right" which is why ive hated every f1 game they release.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hadn't played this for a couple of months but wanted to try out all the new content. Loaded up a hillclimb at Pike's Peak....... hahahaha JESUS CHRIST that's tough. I completed it on my third try with a pretty bad time because for the last 2 minutes of the race one of my back wheels had lost it's tyre. This game is really fun.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Braking down hill into tight corners is somehow even more scary than IRL...

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I really loved the RalliSport games on the first Xbox (made by DICE before they were vacuumed up by EA and forced to make nothing but Battlefield games) but haven't really played anything that captured the same style of racing since then.

I know it's a 10+ year old point of comparison now but could DIRT Rally be considered a modern equivalent to the RalliSport games? Based on the comments in the OP it sounds like DIRT Rally leans more to the simulation side of things.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally fired up Dirt Rally again for the first time in a month and a half and figured I'd finish out my current 1980's championship. Breezed through Wales to first by almost a minute (all that PCars seems to have kept my rally skills sharp). The last event is Monaco and I squeezed out a quarter second lead on the first stage, but on the second stage the AI (Elite) is murdering me. I tried it a few times and was consistently down by ~10 seconds by the halfway point (a short stage). When I screwed up in the last split just before the finish it seems like part of it is just bad AI split time balancing because I was closing the gap to only ~5 seconds loss for the stage, but I also struggled in the past (my Group B Master's where I got 1st place overall I ended up 2nd place on Monaco and during the daily events I tend to be lower, percentage-wise, on the totem pole on Monaco) so I'm pretty confident I have significant room for improvement on Monaco (haven't done Germany yet to see if it's something amiss with my tarmac game in general or just Monaco).

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?

Parker Lewis posted:

I know it's a 10+ year old point of comparison now but could DIRT Rally be considered a modern equivalent to the RalliSport games? Based on the comments in the OP it sounds like DIRT Rally leans more to the simulation side of things.
Never played RalliSport, but, yes, Dirt Rally is a simulation game.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How do the modern 2010 cars handle? I'm using the Subaru at the moment and I like it a lot. 4WD is awesome.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Frankston posted:

How do the modern 2010 cars handle? I'm using the Subaru at the moment and I like it a lot. 4WD is awesome.

So grippy you start to take liberties with them, and then immediately fly off the road when you play older cars again.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Pretty much that, they're fun as hell though to really wreck stages with because the amount of grip they have.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

bUm posted:

So: anyone who does well on Monaco got any useful tips (or better yet an informative video) for car configuration or techniques for it?
Go balls to the wall on the ice sections. Well, maybe not quite that fast, but the AI's time for ice is always terrible, so if you drive those sections a little more aggressively you can make up a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

God damnit, 3.6 seconds!!!

• Locked thread