Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Honestly, I've wondered on several occasions why American terrorism is all about guns and fire and practically never about "stuff a bunch of gunpowder and nails in a pipe or pressure cooker". Lack of knowledge is probably a big factor, as is the mega-easy availability of guns and the untraceability of gasoline.

See: OKC, Atlanta Olympic Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Honestly, I've wondered on several occasions why American terrorism is all about guns and fire and practically never about "stuff a bunch of gunpowder and nails in a pipe or pressure cooker". Lack of knowledge is probably a big factor, as is the mega-easy availability of guns and the untraceability of gasoline.
The poor, poor state of science education in this country. More STEM focused education + more gun control = more bombings in about 20 years.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Kafka Esq. posted:

Why do your own citizens hate your country so much they shoot it up?

Liberals hate this country and would rather see it destroyed than see one person being successful

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-bernardino-shooting-victims-htmlstory.html#nicholas-thalasinos

His wife stated that they seemed to get along though...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

See: OKC, Atlanta Olympic Park

I mean, it happens, but it's infrequent. Or maybe we just have the regular number of bombings (and arsons) and just get a lot of bonus shootings free of charge. :toot:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of extremism coming from all areas. It’s one of the biggest problems that I think is threatening to — to tear our country apart. We — we get into our separate corners and we hate each other, we want to destroy those with whom we disagree.

It comes from both sides. So, you know, there is — there is no saint here in this — in this equation.

But what we really have to start asking ourselves is what can we do as a nation to rectify this situation?

How can we begin to engage in rational discussion?

You know, all you have to do is go to the — an article on the Internet and go to the comments section, you don’t get five comments down before people start calling each other names and acting like idiots, you know.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

In a just world, we'd learn a lesson from this and be better to our fellow human beings.

But it's not, so no one will hear about this and we'll be learning that "that guy was right!" instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Successful terrorism is never about pipe bombs, but a few are defused every year.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Well yeah, I mean most people don't speak ill of the dead, specially their dead husband.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

You know, all you have to do is go to the — an article on the Internet and go to the comments section, you don’t get five comments down before people start calling each other names and acting like idiots, you know.

the internet has just allowed people who would have never agreed irl to find each other and argue bitterly, with typos and poo poo arguments

it's nothing new, just more exposed

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of extremism coming from all areas. It’s one of the biggest problems that I think is threatening to — to tear our country apart. We — we get into our separate corners and we hate each other, we want to destroy those with whom we disagree.

It comes from both sides. So, you know, there is — there is no saint here in this — in this equation.

But what we really have to start asking ourselves is what can we do as a nation to rectify this situation?

Honestly I don't think it can be fixed, there are far too many ideologies who believe that nothing in the world matters and it's all a test for the afterlife.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In a just world, we'd learn a lesson from this and be better to our fellow human beings.

But it's not, so no one will hear about this and we'll be learning that "that guy was right!" instead.

As long as someone is just speaking they cannot be held accountable when a religious extremist decides to kill them for it. The lesson shouldn't be, "Don't speak out, or you might die." it should be "Don't kill people, even if they disagree with you."

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 4, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

And then not two sentences later: "She described her husband as very outspoken about Islamic terrorism, with strong conservative politics."

She may well be covering him the same way we all look at our relatives and loved ones with rose-colored glasses.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well yeah, I mean most people don't speak ill of the dead, specially their dead husband.

If they could get a screenshot from his facebook from 2013 then why didn't they show a screenshot of the more recent rant?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Mulva posted:

Honestly I don't think it can be fixed, there are far too many ideologies who believe that nothing in the world matters and it's all a test for the afterlife.

THey are correct.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And then not two sentences later: "She described her husband as very outspoken about Islamic terrorism, with strong conservative politics."

She may well be covering him the same way we all look at our relatives and loved ones with rose-colored glasses.

Well, if this is true:

quote:

Nicholas Thalasinos, a devout Zionist, became furious with Syed Rizwan Farook, a fellow restaurant inspector, during work, declaring that the Muslim man “doesn’t agree that Islam is not a peaceful religion.”

It really wraps this all up in a ball of sad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, if this is true:

Hate breeds hate.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I understand what you're getting at, but I would rather trust the wife's account than that of the loving New York Post.

Unless the New York Post can post evidence of the facebook interaction they're reporting, I'm not going to believe them.

karlor fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 4, 2015

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you even follow this thread?

Way more than I'd like to admit in public.

I like the drinking games.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mcmagic posted:

Hate breeds hate.

And the number of people who have been drawn to Thalasinos's viewpoint is far greater than that drawn to Syed's as a result. So the cycle begins anew.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If I can interrupt for a second, I'd like to invite you all to stare deep into the well of forced, awkward horror that is Ted Cruz trying to appear human.

And if that isn't enough, there is somehow sixteen hours of rehearsed lines and emotionless hugs to drown in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zombie Samurai posted:

If I can interrupt for a second, I'd like to invite you all to stare deep into the well of forced, awkward horror that is Ted Cruz trying to appear human.

And if that isn't enough, there is somehow sixteen hours of rehearsed lines and emotionless hugs to drown in.

This is the political campaign equivalent of a dead drop- this footage is intended to be cherrypicked by PACs for TV ads, but they can't actually say that because it would be illegal coordination.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Like the FEC would/could do anything anyway.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, if this is true:

As soon as I saw the picture of the super-Jewish dude as one of the victims, I just knew that must have been the powder.

Also jeet christ at Faarooq pretty literally doing the "ISLAM IS A PEACEFUL RELIGION DAMMIT, LOOK HOW PEACEFUL IT IS *guns down entire Christmas party*" gambit.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

karlor posted:

I understand what you're getting at, but I would rather trust the wife's account than that of the loving New York Post.

Unless the New York Post can post evidence of the facebook interaction they're reporting, I'm not going to believe them.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/downashore/San-Bernardino-victim-had-been-Cape-May-County-inspector.html

Another link to basically the same thing from a different news org then.

All I'm saying is that the victim was no angel. :v: (sorry)

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

That was fast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

A Winner is Jew posted:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/downashore/San-Bernardino-victim-had-been-Cape-May-County-inspector.html

quote:

According to a Go Fund Me page set up for the victim's wife, the two met in an online chat room for fans of the TV show "Beauty and the Beast". They shared their love for science fiction and fantasy and had a very deep, spiritual relationship," the page says.

:dogbutton:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Who says Ben Carson is slow?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Liberals hate this country and would rather see it destroyed than see one person being successful

Meg From Family Guy posted:

THey are correct.

A shameful troll.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

the article you just posted posted:

Jennifer Thalasinos told the New York Times that her husband was friendly with Farook and given her no indication that anything was amiss with Farook.

“My husband was very outspoken about ISIS and all of these radicalized Muslims,” she told the Times. “If he would’ve thought that somebody in his office was like that, he would’ve said something.”

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Regarding religion and terrorism: some of us remember when "peace in the Mideast" was "peace in Northern Ireland and the Mideast."

It's actually remarkable how much progress has been made in Northern Ireland. But when I was 18 (1999), I wrote a story about a terrorist blowing up a car bomb in Washington. Said fictional terrorist was Irish. This was still topical.

"Oh those crazy Protestants/Catholics" was just as big a refrain as "oh those crazy Muslims" 16 years ago.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Conservative ideology to blame for another mass shooting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Conservative ideology to blame for another mass shooting.

Hey look your not wrong for once.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Yeah, and Farook was by all accounts a quiet guy so again not surprising that they never got into it.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"you're"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I feel like the victims of Oklahoma City would disagree with you.

Could be wrong here.

Wait, are you including McVeigh's bomb in the "radical christian" terrorism? Because dude was an atheist who hated the government.

And we had that other atheist who murdered those three muslim kids over a parking spot.

Maybe we're all looking at the wrong belief system here guys.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

spacetoaster posted:

Wait, are you including McVeigh's bomb in the "radical christian" terrorism? Because dude was an atheist who hated the government.

And we had that other atheist who murdered those three muslim kids over a parking spot.

Maybe we're all looking at the wrong belief system here guys.

I said Right Wing Extremists. There's a good deal of overlap there.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx
So... that's probably it then, isn't it? I mean there's no way this isn't going to get spun as "ISIS attack on American soil, arm the entire populace and throw Muslims in camps while we invade five countries at once under Presidente (oh God probably trump)", right?

In other words, I'm afraid this is the point where America actually surrenders to extremism to save ourselves from extremism.

Not to be a pessimist or anything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hakkart posted:

So... that's probably it then, isn't it? I mean there's no way this isn't going to get spun as "ISIS attack on American soil, arm the entire populace and throw Muslims in camps while we invade five countries at once under Presidente (oh God probably trump)", right?

In other words, I'm afraid this is the point where America actually surrenders to extremism to save ourselves from extremism.

Not to be a pessimist or anything.

whats it like posting from october 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

He's ethnically Christian.

• Locked thread