Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're gonna make a Game of Thrones story that can't influence canon then why would you ever have a character like Ramsay Snow show up other than to hype the show up? Yes, I know that is the reason, but that is just one of many problems with that game. I don't know how deep HBOs contract with Telltale goes on how much they were required to use canon characters and to what extent, but there are better ways to write around canon than how everything with Ramsay Snow is handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GoT is bad so I went into watching the Telltale game with the lowest of expectations.

It was a pretty good plan.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dexie posted:

The nominees for best score/soundtrack were a complete joke IMO.

Telltale's Batman game is pretty much confirmation of a new Best Friends LP, right?

The Fighting Games category had an MMO that shut down its servers last month, an Early Access game (granted Rising Thunder's neat), Guilty Gear which came out last year, and MKX. It's pathetic.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was just blown away by how much The Game Awards treated Undertale like a joke and an after-thought, even spoiling one of the final bosses for no reason. I'm also upset that it lost an award to loving Life is Strange of all things, but that's what happens when The Game Awards gets involved in anything.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow the head honcho of Konami is one vindictive motherfucker. holy poo poo what I would give to find out what the gently caress is at the root of all this, it cant just be delays and costs of MGSV, shits way too evil for that.

Yeah it's super obvious that everything with Kojima and Komami is super personal at this point. The Ceo is probably like a future cloned version of Kojima who then went back in time in order to give himself a nemesis to fight in his formative years.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I was just blown away by how much The Game Awards treated Undertale like a joke and an after-thought, even spoiling one of the final bosses for no reason. I'm also upset that it lost an award to loving Life is Strange of all things, but that's what happens when The Game Awards gets involved in anything.

I didn't follow too closely - didn't know they dropped a boss spoiler, jeeze. What did LiS beat it in? I heard it lost indie to Rocket League. Which I didn't really think/know was an indie game. :geno: Kinda disappointing when you consider Undertale was done by one guy with a little bit of help on the art assets.

How did they treat Her Story? I know it got an award or two, but that's a game I think I've seen people take more umbrage with then Undertale.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
LiS won Impact Games (previously called "Games for Change").
Her Story was funny cause it won best narrative but when it also won best performance the super drunk lady credited the Her Story actress for her performance in The Witcher 3, at which point the CDPR dev sitting behind the actress just looks absolutely baffled.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Undertale lost out to LiS for Games for Change, after losing out to Rocket League for Indie Game of the Year. Her Story won in Best Narrative and Best Performance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Awards shows are bad, news at 11

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

*smiles geoff keighleyly*

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not sure why you guys care about this award show. It's never been that important. It's basically a huge advertisement for new games/trailers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Wait what? I watched it and the only footage they ever showed was just the trailer from the steam page. They gave it the least amount of screentime and acted really shady about it but they didn't spoil anything in that regard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And it even failed at that this year

Woo, four new telltale games! Woo, a skeevier-than-kickstarter advertisement!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I wanted Undertale to at least be recognized for doing something instead of being handed off to some Mega64 idiot to have him go "lol tumblr game"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait what? I watched it and the only footage they ever showed was just the trailer from the steam page. They gave it the least amount of screentime and acted really shady about it but they didn't spoil anything in that regard.
In the pre-show reel they had a brief section with Undertale as the Most Reblogged Game and plastered some fanart of one of the final bosses onscreen for a whole few seconds.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 4, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait is it cool to hate mega64 now

I want to make sure I'm up to date on my list of video game superstars to hate

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CDPR Rep expresses the appropriate response to whatever the hell happened at Best Performance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

CDPR Rep expresses the appropriate response to the whole show

Agreed.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's weird that witcher won goty but not best narrative when that's the thing everyone likes about it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now we're into PS2 emulation leaks. Sony Europe trademarked: Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, The Mark of Kri, War of the Monsters, Dark Cloud 2, Ape Escape 2, and Twisted Metal: Black.

lets hang out posted:

It's weird that witcher won goty but not best narrative when that's the thing everyone likes about it

The Best Movie frequently doesn't win Best Script thingie because that category is politicized to put a lesser known movie in the public eye.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Huh, seems like we're getting some Old Blood, and not of the type that's bloodborne. Didn't expect that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HGH posted:

Huh, seems like we're getting some Old Blood, and not of the type that's bloodborne. Didn't expect that.

Woflenstein? Dang. Just played New Order and was planning on grabbing Old Blood if it goes on sale during Steam Winter sale. Can't decide if I want to hold off the LP till I played it myself.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

lets hang out posted:

I'm biased because I couldn't give a gently caress about hard fantasy, but I'd rather give to the only game in that list that did something different with how it told its narrative, really. Geralt also doesn't jump at me as an amazing performance, so I suppose what I'm saying is make it the honorary joker award give all the prizes to undertale it doesn't really matter because award shows are dumb.

I haven't played Old Blood, but New Order is pretty entertaining. Also, for a completely unrelated reason, it reminded me of House of the Dead: Overkill and i think i remember the guys playing that game but I can't find it i think i'm off the deep end am i please helptemmieflakes

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

HGH posted:

For some reason, my brain immediately shot to Blood, the BUILD FPS from 1997.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the game awards were fine y'all are a bunch of babies

nothing won that didn't deserve it

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I tapped out on TGA around the time the ad for the Elder Scrolls MMO never ended. Was last year's as bad with ads as this one was because I remember coming away from that one going "that was ok"

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dias posted:

I dunno what the gently caress is a Fig, but in their Fig page they're aiming for an actual budget of $13mi, between crowdfunding, their own cash and outside funding. While I'm sure that with good funds management they could make the sequel on that cash, well...anyway, I'm looking forward to exploring The Baz's brain.

I for the life of me can't figure out who the gently caress Fig is supposed to coax in. Like it requires a higher than normal initial investment to even be able to invest put up on the basis that you'll receive profits if the game receives profits. So A) They're looking for true moneybags type investors which seems like the antithesis of crowdfunding in general plus... B) They take your large sum donations with the caveat that you'll receive no measure of input into the process, which even if ignored, the people who have that kind of money to invest would expect from investing their money in any other venture (game or not). It's just real loving weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Do not even ask posted:

I tapped out on TGA around the time the ad for the Elder Scrolls MMO never ended. Was last year's as bad with ads as this one was because I remember coming away from that one going "that was ok"

It was way worse.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So you mean that if I invest $30 dollars into psychonauts 2 I shouldn't expect at all to make at least a couple hundred bucks back?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

For some reason, my brain immediately shot to Blood, the BUILD FPS from 1997.

Blood: One Whole Unit Blood was rad as hell and after a little kajiggering, the Steam version works great.

Blockhouse posted:

Her Story was/is super dull for me and I don't know if I'd give best performance to the mild accent lady just boredly chatting up a camera in FMV.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
Just finished watching Afro Samurai 2, and holy poo poo, what a wild ride. :eyepop:

I can't believe they even released the game, but I'm so glad they did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blockhouse posted:

Her Story won awards so I'd argue that

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

bumble posted:

Just finished watching Afro Samurai 2, and holy poo poo, what a wild ride. :eyepop:

I can't believe they even released the game, but I'm so glad they did.

He uses his two hammers to- OOOOOOH! ATTACK THE FRAME RATE. ATTACKING REALITY ITSELF!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Her Story won awards so I'd argue that

a game I don't like won two awards :qq:

if that's all it takes to make you get mad then why even bother watching it to begin with, you clearly don't like awards at all

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

a game I don't like won two awards :qq:

if that's all it takes to make you get mad then why even bother watching it to begin with, you clearly don't like awards at all

It's not a good game

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the game awards were funny to laugh at but also not memorably horrible enough for me to really laugh at anything in retrospect

bring back McHale

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not a good game

It's not even really a game. It's a experience and I won't hate someone for liking it but it reeeally isn't.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not even really a game. It's a experience and I won't hate someone for liking it but it reeeally isn't.

No, it's a game and it has a fairly novel format.

It's just poorly written.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

It's not a good game

Well clearly enough of the voting committee thought its narrative and performance were strong enough to win those awards, so either you're wrong or maybe, and I know this is a radical idea so stick with me here,, different people like different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That or maybe the fact it has a female lead has something to do with it because really dry acting shouldn't win a award.

No, it's a game and it has a fairly novel format.

It's just poorly written.

It's just moving mp4 files around with a filter over it. I hardly consider that a game :shrug:

Like at least Gone Home gives you the ability to move around and interact with things in a scene