Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SteelMentor posted:

At 500pts Mechanicum's gonna struggle to fit that in unless they take a cheap-rear end Magos and a ton of Thralls. In which case I doubt you'll have much trouble winning even with the AV14.

I suppose. If all else fails, I have an outflanking speeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Even if you did fight a triaros the sides on it are weak, and with the flare shield you would want to shoot there anyways

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I might be doing the Calth thing after all so

+++ Blood Angels (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (200pts) +

Legion Praetor (200pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers (15pts), Iron Halo (25pts), Mastercraft a Single Weapon (15pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Paragon Blade (25pts), Plasma Pistol (15pts)]

+ Troops (650pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (325pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts), Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade (40pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (25pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

Legion Tactical Squad (325pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines (190pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts), Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade (40pts)]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant (25pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

+ Elites (1270pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (120pts)
····Legion Apothecary (60pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Augury Scanner (5pts)]
····Legion Apothecary (60pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Augury Scanner (5pts)]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (205pts)
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought (205pts) [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Melta Gun (30pts)]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (25pts)]

Legion Terminator Squad (765pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Heavy Flamer (20pts), 9x Legion Terminators (270pts), 9x Power Fist (45pts)]
····Legion Spartan Assault Tank (355pts) [Armoured Ceramite (20pts), Flare Shield (25pts), Heavy Flamer (15pts), Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant (20pts) [Chainfist (10pts), Grenade Harness (10pts)]

+ Fast Attack (380pts) +

Legion Outrider Squad (380pts) [6x Legion Space Marine Outrider (180pts), 2x Power Weapon (20pts), Twin-linked Plasma Gun (150pts)]
····Outrider Sergeant (30pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Weapon (10pts)]

Overall plan is to rush Termies in the Spartan up the board to draw fire, destroy poo poo and capture things, footslog the tac squads as needed, put Praetor with one tac squad. Outriders are my fast AP2 threat. Tactics used are Furious Charge.

There's some options I can think of, like retooling the Praetor to go with the terminators instead and switching the outriders to Melta to make them more dedicated anti-armor, since that's the biggest problem I see in the list. Also, probably not enough scoring units. Power weapons on apothecaries would be nice but they're surplus to requirements, unless outriders can make do without any close combat related stuff. I suspect Sicarans will make the bikers cry a lot. The CCW Contemptor can also be customized quite a bit, if I find that the melta guns in the fists could be better replaced with a multi-melta, but he's designed to charge in and wreck poo poo as is.

Other things I'm not sure about : power axes/melta bombs on tac sergeants, or just power fists? Melta bombs on outriders, or switch entirely to meltas?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Get auxiliary drive for you ride. A medusa hit can potentially wreck your day.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

+++ Blood Angels (2500pts) +++

So, at 2k and above things start to really depend on your local meta/players. With that in mind:
First, Lords of War become options. A single Typhon will wreck all infantry and anything not-Spartan with every shot it makes. Even Primarchs are scared of a Typhon in range to steamroll them over.
Second, because of said LoW and also due to points making the Spartan & Deathstar combo alluring, you see Graviton Rapiers and Graviton Dreadnoughts appear to wreck both.

So either/or of these will demolish huge chunks of your army... if people in your area bother.

Otherwise, you're running two dreadnoughts: one is short range, the other is mid range, and neither has a mean of getting quickly in the enemy's face. I'd say either you have AV saturation or you pod your dreads or you give them the weapons to sit back.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Online I see lots of Spartans, Sicarans, Typhons, and Primarchs. People bring these because they are good units on paper and because its easy to build death stars in 30k. Its also fun.

You don't have to use these though. I encourage people to think outside the box. Yes, a Spartan is rock solid unit, but its 600 points for a single transport and the short range melee unit that's inside. For less points there are other ways to deliver your deathstar. For even less points there are reliable ways to block an enemy deathstar and popping their AV15 ride.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
To be honest the Spartan was mostly to deliver those terminators the Calth boxed sets have to give them some kind of use. My initial plan involved a Caestus.

Good insights. I'll have to consider podding the Dread talon.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
To be fair, as a model the Spartan is cool as hell.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's everything a land raider wishes it was. It's a good unit, but it's not the only way to get across the board. It's also just a transport (then again I have never been into Land Raiders).

That said for the same points I'm considering mounting up my tac squads into one or two Protei with Multi Meltas and outflank. Gives me tough transports and leaves my troops out of harms way for a turn or two. The more I play the more I realize 30k is about deleting enemy troops while protecting your own.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I thought it was cool that ARMILLUS DYNAT lets you deep strike an infantry squad, so he can get termies in without a transport. With Coils you can use Dynat to deep strike another legion's special terminators. Also, he's a handsome bro:

Brings terminators and fashion to the battlefield.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Dynat is a cool dude its true.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if your list isn't designed around putting as many dudes with pteruges and funny helmet crests on the table as possible you're doing it wrong

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Mechanicum-Ordinatus-Ulator

Its finally here, and hilariously can be taken in 40k for cult mechanicus and skittarii, but wait, the skittarii FoC doesnt have a LoW slot and cant take a CAD.....

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Harnessing the awesome might of Ulillillia, the Ordinatus Ulator ululates across the battlefield, depressing everyone.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Worth noting that the Horus Heresy Weekender tickets are on sale.
Since I'm going to be not too far this year, I bought a seat. Anyone else planning to be there?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Mechanicum-Ordinatus-Ulator

Its finally here, and hilariously can be taken in 40k for cult mechanicus and skittarii, but wait, the skittarii FoC doesnt have a LoW slot and cant take a CAD.....

The rules for this thing are ridiculous but they should be given the 1,000+ point cost.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

It actually feels like a 1.000 point lord of war unlike a certain lobster we won't name. It's rad as hell.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Once we start playing points values that allow for Horus I'm not sure I'll ever take another LoW again. Maybe my Warhound when I want to create a No-Fun Zone (this maximizes my fun).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Well, wish I hadn't just bought all that white primer.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Well, wish I hadn't just bought all that white primer.

Wink wink

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the Leviathan better built for ranged or melee? I may ask my wife to get me one as an xmas gift.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
the loyalist space marine legions basically caused the horus heresy, it seems

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Horus did nothing wrong.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

Horus Magnus did nothing wrong.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

After complicated analysis, the culpability of starting the Horus Heresy lies with Roboute Gulliman, Rogal Dorn, and Leman Russ, in the order.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

DeadGame posted:

Is the Leviathan better built for ranged or melee? I may ask my wife to get me one as an xmas gift.

Ranged.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

panascope posted:

Lorgar did nothing wrong.

Ftfy.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Recoome posted:

After complicated analysis, the culpability of starting the Horus Heresy lies with Roboute Gulliman, Rogal Dorn, and Leman Russ, in the order.

What did Dorn do?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Shazaminator posted:

What did Dorn do?

he was a massive dick

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I would put the Emperor at the start of that list. Unless becoming a necro god was his goal, he pretty much did everything wrong at every decision point.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

That is true, the Emperor was the most massive of dicks. For a guy so powerful, he sure was really loving dumb

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah. Just abit.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If it's true that the Emperor was alive under various identities throughout human history, it's pretty much a 100% given that his 2015 incarnation was a regular on r/atheism.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

JerryLee posted:

If it's true that the Emperor was alive under various identities throughout human history, it's pretty much a 100% given that his 2015 incarnation was a regular on r/atheism.

Is the Emperor in reality Bernie Sanders coming down from the heavens (vermont) to save us all in this time of need? Or is he more like Donald Trump spouting bullshit?

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is the Emperor in reality Bernie Sanders coming down from the heavens (vermont) to save us all in this time of need? Or is he more like Donald Trump spouting bullshit?

More like that Fritzl guy - a Bad Dad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

TKIY posted:

The rules for this thing are ridiculous but they should be given the 1,000+ point cost.

where are the rules

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

where are the rules

The red mechanicum book. Basically, you lay the 7-inch blast template down, and then move it straight ahead 72". EVERYTHING under it takes a hit, str depending on what sort of model. Infantry takes a S5 hit, monstrous creatures S8, vehicles S10 and superheavies the D. Ignores cover, instant death, do not pass go.

The first round of the game, D weapon shooting at it gains -3 on the damage chart. 2nd round its -2 and 3 round onwards its -1.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Well i'm certainly not the future God-Emperor of mankind. Ha, ha ,ha, why would anyone even think such a thing. Now you ignorant pawns continue about your business.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's me, I'm the emperor. Please paypal me donations so in 20,000 years I can almost defeat Chaos but actually die instead

DeadGame posted:

It's better in melee, but you can run it well with one of either ranged option. Take the autocannon to open up transports or the grav gun to murder blobs or rapier batteries (the carriers are automatically wounded because they have no strength value). It can make a mean fire support unit in the mid field, but its overpriced for that and best podded in.

I'm getting one to use in a drop pod (after Panascope killed my campaign character, eat my gently caress). To give you an idea of how it works- the pain train auto drops turn 1 into cover. Thanks to shrouded it enjoys a 4+ cover save while sitting snugly inside the pod. Because the pod opens, you can shoot your guns at stuff nearby. Pop a transport or kill a blobs or whatever. Next turn, stomp your way out and charge something.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Guys. Stop me. Now I want a ravenguard army :ohdear: