Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Section Z posted:

From my casual internet osmosis knowledge of Deadpool, it does feel like it's at it's some of it's best when he has someone to play off of who can keep up with him, yeah.

Of course I also have a soft spot for Darkhawk (even if I never really kept up with his stuff past his series) so my comic book tastes are pretty dire anyways.

Darkhawk let a crazy hobo (later revealed to be plot relevant) name him, because he knew it was a better name than calling himself "Edge Man" :allears:

The first Darkhawk comic I read was the one where Venom throws the fight out of pity (also my first exposure to Venom). Why do I like this guy?

If only New Warriors didn't end last year. Darkhawk probably would have came back to take Kaine's place after spiderverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ferrule posted:

Were you a teenager when you first read him?

There's something special about reading a comic where you can relate to the main character.

I doubt anyone here is a billionaire so Batman is fairly un-relateable (unless your parents were murdered, I guess) but we can all relate to being an awkward teen which is why SpiderMan works so well.

Basicallly? also at "5th grade nature camp" so holy poo poo a comic book someone is kindly letting me read when we're not learning about ducks or whatever it was back then.

So that probably helped make it stay in mind, the rest was thinking "Your power's origin was space mobsters? Cool" as I read more of it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Minor sidenote, but isn't Taskmaster supposed to be a normal human guy wearing a skull mask, not a dude who has a skull for a head? I know comics not being consistent is nothing new and Taskmaster is a minor enough character that I doubt anyone cares (I'm certainly fine either way) but I'm just wondering is it something that changed over time or does he just freely switch between being a guy in a mask and a skeleton man based on the artist?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comic masks don't really follow real world physics. It's a mask.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Comic masks don't really follow real world physics. It's a mask.

:downs: Somehow I had never considered that maybe Taskmaster, being the successful mercenary/small business owner that he is and living in a world where Iron Man can exist, can afford fancy masks that have a moving mouth for when he talks. I just kinda assumed if the artist gave him a moving mouth it meant they were going for Taskmaster being a skull-man like Red Skull.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DrProsek posted:

:downs: Somehow I had never considered that maybe Taskmaster, being the successful mercenary/small business owner that he is and living in a world where Iron Man can exist, can afford fancy masks that have a moving mouth for when he talks. I just kinda assumed if the artist gave him a moving mouth it meant they were going for Taskmaster being a skull-man like Red Skull.

Red Skull also wears a mask. Most of the time.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Udon Taskmaster best Taskmaster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sexual Lorax posted:

Ah yes. My first exposure to Taskmaster.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Sexual Lorax posted:

He hates ethnic stereotypes, but he's not afraid to call out a queer when he sees one :clint:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kellsterik posted:

He hates ethnic stereotypes, but he's not afraid to call out a queer when he sees one :clint:

You're from Texas? Only Steers, Queers and Racists come from Texas, and you ain't got horns.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Section Z posted:

From my casual internet osmosis knowledge of Deadpool, it does feel like it's at it's some of it's best when he has someone to play off of who can keep up with him, yeah.

Of course I also have a soft spot for Darkhawk (even if I never really kept up with his stuff past his series) so my comic book tastes are pretty dire anyways.

Darkhawk let a crazy hobo (later revealed to be plot relevant) name him, because he knew it was a better name than calling himself "Edge Man" :allears:

The first Darkhawk comic I read was the one where Venom throws the fight out of pity (also my first exposure to Venom). Why do I like this guy?

I think they actually kind of covered this on a comics podcast I think it was part of the secret convergence on infinite podcasts). Basically, the stuff you pick up is likely going to be the benchmark for how you view comics going forward. For example, I picked up Spider-Girl as my entry point, which I'm sure explains a lot for anyone who knows me on this board.

Anyway, on topic: Laura Kinney: Queen of tact.

X-Force (volume 3) #7

I love how she nonchalantly keeps eating her pancakes. :allears:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Taskmaster is a good friend

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Agent X was good. We should read Agent X again. You and me. Together.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My first comics that weren't like, Donald Duck flies a spaceship without windows into a building, were the Muir Island saga thing involving the X-Men. I remember being very confused because a montage of X-Men gearing up made me think it was one guy shape-shifting, due to their identical uniforms.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Nessus posted:

My first comics that weren't like, Donald Duck flies a spaceship without windows into a building, were the Muir Island saga thing involving the X-Men. I remember being very confused because a montage of X-Men gearing up made me think it was one guy shape-shifting, due to their identical uniforms.

Funny.

Mine were issues of 80's Marvel Transformers from the local 7-11. I had the hardest time figuring out what " *see issue 38" meant since I had no idea what issue I had. Took me forever to figure out issue numbers on the covers but I felt like a god when I finally did.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My first comics were my mother's Asterix and Tintin books, which were in French but expressive enough that I had no difficulties. For "proper" comics I tried to follow both Maximum Carnage and Death/Return of Superman but everything jumping between different comic lines meant you needed a roadmap to figure out what you should be reading.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

UDON Taskmaster mask >>>>>>>>>>> all other Taskmaster masks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My first American comics were a trade paperback of The Return of Superman (after Doomsday killed him) and the very first issues of the clone saga in Spider-Man. I ended up reading most of it as it came out,I eventually stopped sometime after Ben Reilly took over full time and Peter retired. I actually liked Ben so I was pretty annoyed when I eventually found out what happened to him.

Edit: I'm American and live in America, I only made the distinction because I got most of the Tintin comics as various birthday and Christmas presents from my grandparents before I started reading Spider-Man.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first comics I remember seeking out/asking my mum to buy me were The Mask and The Mask Returns collections, and soon after that the Death of Superman trade which might've put me off of comics for more than a decade because I didn't understand who the JLI were and why Supergirl turned into a goopy alien when beat up.

I am proud of The Mask thing :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The first thing that I sought out and "collected" was the Warlock Chronicles (started with the "1st Collectors Issue"!). Now, I read a ton of sci-fi, cosmic stories, and anything "surreal". Plus, I buy way too many comics starring Thanos. :|

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I got into collecting just before Atlantis Attacks and boy howdy did that gently caress up a young Ferrule (and his allowance).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I first got into comics during the Phalanx Covenant event in X-Men. Previous to that I had no interest in comics because all I'd ever seen of them was the Jack Kirby style where everyone's wearing sweater vests and fedoras and that seemed supremely lame to teenage me. Then my friend let me read one of his comics and holy poo poo, the characters are making pop culture references I understand and the artwork is super stylized and awesome and oh my god those women have enormous boobs. That carried me through the Age of Apocalypse storyline, then I got sick of having to keep up with a dozen different titles to follow what was going on, so I went to an actual comic shop and what the gently caress they have Alien comics and Predator comics and holy gently caress they have ALIEN VERSUS PREDATOR COMICS WHARGHLBBBHH!!!

I quit reading comics for a while after college, but now Marvel Unlimited lets me read whatever I want, so I'm reading comics again. Only, unfortunately, they don't have the Phalanx Covenant storyline.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
My first comics were Impulse and Young Justice and I'm still salty as gently caress over what happened to those poor kids.

Impulse #50

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I grew up reading a lot of 50s and 60s comics my dad had from his failed comic store. And then I hit his Judge Dredd/ABC Warriors collection :getin:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dordreff posted:

My first comics were Impulse and Young Justice and I'm still salty as gently caress over what happened to those poor kids.

Impulse #50

This took me a minute. :downs:

And those were "my" first comics too! Although really I learned to read through the pages of 90's Superman, Aquaman, all the Spider-Man's, Punisher, and many, many more because my dad had a whole enormous stack of comic books he picked up every week, but Impulse and Young Justice he mostly got for me. Thursday's were my favorite days.

Also, Impulse should have never become Kid Flash. Impulse is a cooler name and his suit wasn't piss-yellow. :mad:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
One of the first comics I can remember reading was Avengers #200.

Yeah, 8 year old me wasn't too sure what to make of that mess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The first comic I read was a Star Trek one. I later found out it was written by Peter David. It was then followed by X-men 92 and free comics from Pizza Hut.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

dordreff posted:

Impulse #50

We should start a Started With Impulse club. Or a support group, either or.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

We should start a Started With Impulse club. Or a support group, either or.

I read the Young Justice Sins of Youth Kid Flash and Impulse issue. It was great issue by Dwayne McDuffie. Wally and Bart were great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I don't remember my first comics, but then I was five. Probably something Batman-related. I do remember my parents bringing me Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes when I was in the hospital that year and how awesome it was.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Apparently I was big into Richie Rich and Spider-Man comics even as a really little kid. I can't remember not having a few of them around, especially since my mom was always going to this used bookstore near my grandmother's house.

I think my first comic was a Marvel Tales that reprinted the first appearance of Mysterio.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

My first comic was Saga.

I started reading comics a year ago, after I graduated college.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi, is this the right thread for this kind of content?

[Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2014 #1]

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Selachian posted:

I do remember my parents bringing me Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes when I was in the hospital that year and how awesome it was.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot I had that before I ever read any regular comics. Probably one of the best introductions to comics that a kid could ask for. I still have it somewhere, I gotta go dig it out.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
My dad collected comics before me, so my introduction was old back issues of Conan. Eventually I was getting lots of weirdly prescient but entirely random single issues (like a few issues from Waid's Flash run), and some scattered TPBs like "Spider-Man Strange Adventures" and "The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told".

Anyway, let's get the thread back on track with some of the quality, highbrow humor that comics are known for:

(Hitman #43)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Ghostlight posted:

Hi, is this the right thread for this kind of content?

[Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2014 #1]

This was a really great, really cute story. Friendly Neighborhood SpiderMan indeed.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Gummy Joe posted:

(Hitman #43)

There is perhaps nothing more Ennis than an elephant peeing into the mouth of a lovelorn, superpowered hitman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ecavalli posted:

There is perhaps nothing more Ennis than an elephant peeing into the mouth of a lovelorn, superpowered hitman.

Not enough butt stuff or implications/mocking of butt stuff.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ecavalli posted:

But what about the 'woman assumes that something that looks more like a cancerous lesion is a hickey and immediately decks guy, womenamirite?' Does that rate at all on the Ennis scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Midniter posted:

UDON Taskmaster mask >>>>>>>>>>> all other Taskmaster masks.
it's the only mask of his that can be worn with a turtleneck

alongside brand name hero shirts and whatnot

also yes more taskmaster/deadpool, including my favorite cover that is p. much just the dream run that will never happen