Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Libs gonna... be the same thing as the Cons?

quote:

Good Friday morning to you.

Happy throne speech day. It’s expected to be short, sweet and to the point — perhaps the shortest in Canadian history. The day, however, won’t be short on pomp and ceremony. Here’s a look at the history behind it.

There have been rumblings this week that many Syrian refugees don’t want to come to Canada, but yesterday Immigration Minister John McCallum dismissed that talk as ‘crazy.’ He said when he was in a Jordanian refugee camp recently, he encountered "huge enthusiasm — a great hunger to come to Canada.” This all started Wednesday during an off-the-record briefing with reporters when Canadian immigration officials reportedly said that fewer than five per cent of people contacted by the United Nations wanted to come to Canada by the end of December.

There’s a new speaker in the House. Halifax Liberal MP Geoff Regan was “dragged” through the Commons yesterday by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Rona Ambrose to take up his perch on the speaker’s chair. We’re not sure if it’s a sign of things to come, but he was heckled all around as he told the House he wouldn’t be tolerating heckling. Even Stephen Harper put in an appearance for the vote.

So who is Geoff Regan? Our Kelsey Johnson set out to find out.

Also yesterday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Newfoundland Senator George Furey would be the new Speaker of the Senate, while Democratic Institutions’ Maryam Monsef and Government House Leader Dominic LeBlanc announced the formation of a non-partisan, five-member board to advise the prime minister on Senate appointments.

Some Tory senators were left unimpressed by the plan and feel it’s not quite the institutional revolution some Canadians may have been hoping for. “I don’t see any change and I don’t see anything non-partisan about what’s happening,” said Senator Don Plett. Our Selina Chignall has more.

The plan doesn’t have many fans in British Columbia either. In a terse statement, Premier Christy Clark made clear the province won’t be a part of the process.

Still miffed for being benched by the Conservatives during the election campaign, Senator Jacques Demers decided to pull himself out of the game. As our Elizabeth Thompson reports, he's decided to become a free agent.

Think you want to be appointed to the Senate? Here’s five things you need to know.

“Guess who’s not coming to dinner? Finance Minister Bill Morneau, that's who.” As the CBC reports, the Liberal Party of Canada has canned a promotion to win "the ultimate dinner party" with Morneau. That comes a day after the network reported that conflict of interest and ethics commissioner Mary Dawson was looking into the event.

Meanwhile in Paris, after four days of international climate talks, the Canadian government has expressed some optimism that ministers will reach an agreement next week during the high-level negotiations. Our Mackenzie Scrimshaw has more.

The federal government has asked the Supreme Court for a six-month extension to draft new laws on doctor-assisted dying. “Physician-assisted dying is a complex and deeply personal issue for Canadians of all ages and backgrounds,” Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould said in a statement. “The federal government’s response will affect all of society. That is why we are firmly committed to including Canadians and taking the time to develop a thoughtful, sensitive and well-informed response.”

Although the federal government won’t recreate the federal long-gun registry, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Ralph Goodale says it will support Quebec’s plan to establish its own provincial firearms-tracking system. The province has announced a new bill that will see every gun assigned a number and entered into a database.

Here and there:
  • Statistics Canada releases the labour force survey for November, production of principal field crops for November, Canadian international merchandise trade for October and labour productivity, hourly compensation and unit labour cost for the third quarter.
  • The Northern Institute hosts a conference that focuses on the place of the Arctic in Canada's foreign policy, climate change, state sovereignty, Indigenous rights and circumpolar polices.
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau holds a Cabinet meeting. Media availability with Ministers follows in the Foyer.
  • Gov. Gen. David Johnston gives the Speech from the Throne.
  • Parti Quebecois Leader Pierre Karl Peladeau holds a news conference as the legislature wraps up.

Having received an appeal for support from France following last month’s attacks in Paris, Germany's parliament is set to vote on whether the country should provide military support in the fight against Islamic State militants in Syria. Although many have said they’ll do so reluctantly, MPs are expected to back the plan.

Officials say California gunman Syed Rizwan Farook had been in contact with known Islamic extremists on social media, but the motive behind his attack at a holiday party that left 14 dead still isn’t clear. He and his wife had enough bullets and bombs to slaughter hundreds, but officials say they were not on the FBI’s radar.

The U.S. military has opened up all combat positions to women. "This means that as long as they qualify and meet the standards, women will now be able to contribute to our mission in ways they could not before. They'll be able to drive tanks, give orders, lead infantry soldiers into combat," said Defense Secretary Ash Carter. Until now, infantry, armour, reconnaissance and some special operations units had been limited to men.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • Something happens to political parties when they're defeated after a long stretch in power. The ones left standing tend to be the hard core — the people least likely to look at the party's record with eyes wide open. Unless the party gets some outside perspective — say, from a new leader who wasn't at the table when mistakes were being made — it can spend decades in the wilderness, talking to itself.
  • It happened to the Republicans. Could it happen to the Conservatives? Michael Harris says he's seeing ample evidence that Conservative caucus members — including interim leader Rona Ambrose — aren't ready yet to own up to the reasons why so many Canadians came to loathe their old boss. "A new leader from outside the current caucus would send a signal that the party realizes its failings run far deeper than 'tone'."
  • Brent Rathgeber offers his verdict on Prime Minister Trudeau's non-partisan Senate reform plan: It ain't much, but it's better than the scandal-plagued political tarpit the modern Senate has become. "The biggest problem with the Senate is not the odd senator diddling an expense account. No such body can provide reliable oversight if it doesn’t have at least notional objectivity. A Senate full of bagmen and cheerleaders is worse than illegitimate — it’s useless."
  • And from the folks at the Healthy Living blog we bring you an excellent read on how Canada's health system expects to cope with a sudden influx of 25,000 war-rattled Syrian refugees.

Finally this morning, it turns out the new chief of staff to the minister of natural resources likes to cruise with climate skeptics with Capt. Ezra Levant at the helm.

Have yourself a great day.

International

National

Ontario

Praries

Alberta

North

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jannesley

There's a joke here somewhere about Libs needing someone with expertise in convincing people that toxic substances are good but I can't get it.

This lady rules

quote:

Canada’s oil and gas industry employs more than 500,000 Canadians. We paid more than $18 billion in royalties and taxes to provincial and federal governments in 2009. The industry is one of the country’s largest sources of revenue and Canada’s single-largest private investor. Environmentally we are not perfect but we are always getting better.

And our industry has a firm grasp of global energy scenarios. Energy demand is forecast to double by 2050. Double. Given that reality, standing in the way of responsibly developed competitive renewable energy would be just as foolish as standing in the way of responsibly developed competitive Canadian oil and gas.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 4, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You guys if anyone ever wants to buy Ikantski a new Wynnatar for some reason I found the perfect source.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
doesnt even make sense why wouldnt you want a turbine that turns wind into money

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

doesnt even make sense why wouldnt you want a turbine that turns wind into money

poo poo, it's turning excuses into money, that's god drat alchemy right there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
It would have been much better to have it shredding the money and making excuses come out the other side.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Coolwhoami posted:

poo poo, it's turning excuses into money, that's god drat alchemy right there.

Converting the lies and excuses of politicians into cold hard cash would be the greatest boon on humanity since agriculture.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Poizen Jam posted:

Converting the lies and excuses of politicians into cold hard cash would be the greatest boon on humanity since agriculture.

Let me tell you about fiat money.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

She's throwing money to the wind!

e: The wind is the hot air she's blowing with her excuses, I think.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 4, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Should have spun the other way.

Been digging around for an unrelated article and found some of these on our good friend, JT:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE88P0X220120927

quote:

Trudeau's son would lead Canada Liberals to win: poll
Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10pm EDT
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Justin Trudeau, son of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, would take his Liberal Party from a distant third in Parliament to forming the next government if he were chosen as Liberal leader, according to a poll released on Thursday.

The Forum Research phone poll, conducted for the National Post newspaper, said that if the 40-year-old member of Parliament was Liberal leader and an election was held now, his party would win 39 percent of the popular vote.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives would be reduced to 32 percent, and the left-leaning New Democratic Party (NDP), currently the biggest opposition party, would be pushed back to third place with 20 percent.

Trudeau, a former school teacher, is expected to launch his run for the Liberal leadership next Tuesday, and with his 151,000 Facebook followers and the cache of his family name he would be the overwhelming favorite to win.

Until candidates lay out their policies, they often start with higher poll numbers than they end up with, but this poll gives some indication of the strength of the Trudeau name.

The Liberals have more often than not run Canada, and Pierre Trudeau was prime minister from 1968 to 1979 and again from 1980 to 1984. But for the past several elections the party has been squeezed by the NDP on the left and the Conservatives on the right. It suffered its worst showing ever in the 2011 election.

Liberal insiders say Trudeau tends to the left of the party.

The Forum Research poll was taken on Sept 26, the day news emerged that Trudeau would declare his candidacy. Forum surveyed 1,707 people, a sample size considered accurate to within 2 percentage points 19 times out of 20.

By comparison, an Environics poll taken before Wednesday's flurry of news about Trudeau, put the NDP at 35 percent, the Conservatives at 31 percent and the Liberals down at 20 percent.

Environics surveyed 1,600 decided voters, for a 2.4-point margin of error, from Sept 10-23.

The next election is not scheduled until October 2015.

(Reporting by Randall Palmer; Editing by Peter Galloway)

Aren't the numbers fairly accurate here?

[edit]

Yes. They are. Liberals got 39.47%, Tories got 31.89%, and NDP got 19.71%. I'd say that is pretty close.

[/edit]

Also this article too:
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/what-justin-trudeau-has-said-on-five-key-questions/

quote:

Five questions worth pondering about Justin Trudeau
John Geddes on what Trudeau has said on a handful of key issues

John Geddes
September 27, 2012

Five questions worth pondering about Justin Trudeau in the feverish days leading to his announcement next week, and how he dealt with these issues in an earlier interview:

It’s impossible to get past the fact that he’s Pierre Trudeau’s son. How will he avoid being always measured against his famous father?

JT: “My father was incredibly focused, incredibly linear… . I’m a high school teacher. I’m someone who stumbles my way through, leads with my chin in some cases, leads with my heart in all cases.”

Many Liberals are looking to Trudeau as a saviour, but wouldn’t merging with the NDP make sense electoral sense given left-of-centre vote-splitting?

JT: “…if one of the two opposition parties manages to get its stuff together, I don’t know that a merger… is going to be necessary. I think Canadians are going to be unwilling to allow Mr. Harper to continue.”

Trudeau hasn’t said or done much of note on economic issues. What can he say to keep Stephen Harper from trouncing him on that big subject?

JT: “What is this government doing? It’s relying on a combination of selling off our natural resources… and a form of trickle-down economics that has been thoroughly discredited everywhere…”

Much of Trudeau’s appeal is said to be among the young. Isn’t the problem that too many young adults tend not to bother voting?

JT: “I think a bold message will wake them up. We saw that a little bit in the Occupy movement. Over the next three years, I think young people are going to wake up and be empowered.”

Harper campaigns on stability, competence. Trudeau doesn’t look likely to contest him on that ground. What will he offer instead?

JT: “I think the next leader needs to understand that business as usual doesn’t work, that we’re in a time where we have to rethink a lot of the basic ground rules and assumptions of our civilizations.”

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Aren't the numbers fairly accurate here?

They are, but given the number of predictions made by pollsters that are not, I don't know how much can be taken from it. Interesting, though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

December 3rd, 2015: not too late for Tom Mulcair to retire with dignity.

December 4th, 2015:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The guy who posted that is not the grandfather who talked down to me during the election campaign.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be honest, who could've guessed that the electorate was looking for someone likeable and personable after a decade of electing Stephen Harper? It only seems obvious in retrospect.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

December 4th, 2015:

He is reaching out to the disillusioned youth voters. He is a lawyer, so let's let him continue and see where he is heading with this train of thought.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

jm20 posted:

He is reaching out to the disillusioned youth voters. He is a lawyer, so let's let him continue and see where he is heading with this train of thought.

Straight down the bottle.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pinterest Mom posted:

December 4th, 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeS-Xb5u4-U

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is that actually a real tweet? For the record JT plays animal crossing with his kids
. (Real answer, I have no loving clue what he plays)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

Straight down the bottle.

I think drunken Tom might have been more receptive than Grandpa Tom, but hindsight is 20/20 y'know.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is that actually a real tweet? For the record JT plays animal crossing with his kids
. (Real answer, I have no loving clue what he plays)

It is indeed a real tweet.

And it inspired some excellent replies too:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

They need to speed this speech process up

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

December 4th, 2015:

That stupid gently caress, why didn't he say poo poo like that during the campaign. I was telling a friend that if livestreamed something over twitch while talking politics he'd become a sensation. The only problem I thought was that he'd probably never played a game in his life.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Because the person who wrote it was a staffer who also though that people still even ironically say "pwn" in TYOOL 2015

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/CanadianPM/status/672876862419378177

quote:

We will introduce legislation to legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana #ThroneSpeech

We did it fam

smoke up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

No, I've been drinking and it is the collective wisdom of this thread that combining the two represents such a clear and present danger that we should not even permit them to be sold in the same place.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

No, I've been drinking and it is the collective wisdom of this thread that combining the two represents such a clear and present danger that we should not even permit them to be sold in the same place.

You better stay out of BC then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's a joke. Personally, I think every manner of booze and weed should be for sale at any establishment that cares to obtain the licenses and follow the laws, with no restrictions on location or other business that they may carry on. Lots of people disagreed with me here.

Edit: also, lol at the pot retailers who think they shouldn't be "pushed out of the business" (read: who think they deserve artificial protection from newcomers to the industry). loving hippies...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 4, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

itshappening.gif right here, facebook is going to explode over the weekend

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Home/Index

Do your worst best, goons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Someone do a pro-nuclear power one. I'll take a stab at it next time I'm sober, but I'm guessing one of you fine people can probably do it quicker.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Petition to break up Alberta into 2 provinces. Maybe 3.

Maybe split it up between Saskatchewan and BC

e: a bit of the top to the territories

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Petition to rename the country Socialist Weedistan

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Petition to break up Alberta into 2 provinces. Maybe 3.

Maybe split it up between Saskatchewan and BC

e: a bit of the top to the territories

Provided the three provinces needn't be territorially contiguous, I'm okay with this. Divide it into:

"Here's where we gently caress farm animals" (south)
"Here's where we make oil" (north)
"The Federation of Calgary and Edmonton"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

It's a joke. Personally, I think every manner of booze and weed should be for sale at any establishment that cares to obtain the licenses and follow the laws, with no restrictions on location or other business that they may carry on. Lots of people disagreed with me here.

Edit: also, lol at the pot retailers who think they shouldn't be "pushed out of the business" (read: who think they deserve artificial protection from newcomers to the industry). loving hippies...

I think the concern is that the huge amount of existing semi-legal pot stores in town will suddenly be forced to close when BCL and Beer & Wine Stores get exclusive rights to sell legal weed. I'd hope they will all be grandfathered in under any new legal framework.

Edit: My ideal solution - The existing stores can operate as pot lounges (like a beer lounge at a brew pub), while the liquor stores will be strictly retail.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Normy posted:

I think the concern is that the huge amount of existing semi-legal pot stores in town will suddenly be forced to close when BCL and Beer & Wine Stores get exclusive rights to sell legal weed. I'd hope they will all be grandfathered in under any new legal framework.

Edit: My ideal solution - The existing stores can operate as pot lounges (like a beer lounge at a brew pub), while the liquor stores will be strictly retail.

No, lol, we can't have pot lounges because secondhand smoke is dangerous and bad; so dangerous and bad, in fact, that no person, even a smoker, should be able to consent to being exposed to such even if they acknowledge the inherent risk involved.

Or is that just for tobacco?

EDIT: Mind you, I'm also against any group getting exclusive retail rights. It shouldn't happen in the liquor industry, and it shouldn't happen in any nascent pot industry either. That should go without saying.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

PT6A posted:

Or is that just for tobacco?

Tobacco-less shisha was banned in Toronto recently, so, no, it is not.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Normy posted:

The BC Libs don't even want them the sole vendors for booze. The BCGEU is not going to succeed in their effort to be the sole vendors of anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Azerban posted:

Tobacco-less shisha was banned in Toronto recently, so, no, it is not.

I know, Like the earlier post, it was a joke. I'm saying our over-regulation is nonsense, but so many people have supported these restrictions on things that aren't weed that I want to throw it in their face because it's every bit as stupid whether applied to weed, tobacco, booze, shisha or anything else.

EDIT: I'm not saying we should be able to smoke tobacco or weed unrestricted, like in a restaurant or something; just that, in a dedicated space where everyone consents (a weed lounge, a cigar lounge, a shisha lounge) I don't see any particular problem with it.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

vyelkin posted:

Petition to rename the country Socialist Weedistan

I believe it's Soviet Chronuckistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Don't worry guys. Jenny's got this