Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

karlor posted:

I understand what you're getting at, but I would rather trust the wife's account than that of the loving New York Post.

Unless the New York Post can post evidence of the facebook interaction they're reporting, I'm not going to believe them.

How about a friend of Thalasinos claiming to overhear one such argument when they called him at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

whats it like posting from october 2001

Still just as terrifying as it was in 2001.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Just to hit this one more time:

When I was born, three things were considered true:

There would never be peace in the middle east.

Protestants and Catholics would never peacefully coexist in Northern Ireland.

America and the USSR would only be at peace when they launched the nukes and we all died.

Maybe, just maybe, twenty years on, we'll be worried about something other than scary Muslims?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

He's ethnically Christian.

lol, I think that's how roman catholics do it.

Priest: "Did your parents take you into a church as a baby?"
Me: "Yeah, I think so. But I haven't been in 30 years and don't believe any of ..."
Priest: "Too bad! Your one of us forever! HAHAhahaha."

:colbert:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

He's ethnically Christian.

*bites through tongue*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hodgepodge posted:

Just to hit this one more time:

When I was born, three things were considered true:

There would never be peace in the middle east.

Protestants and Catholics would never peacefully coexist in Northern Ireland.

America and the USSR would only be at peace when they launched the nukes and we all died.

Maybe, just maybe, twenty years on, we'll be worried about something other than scary Muslims?

President George Bush III will be invading Iraq again while global warming renders half the planet uninhabitable. Obamacare will be repealed for the 433rd time.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, and Farook was by all accounts a quiet guy so again not surprising that they never got into it.

Agreed. We will only know what happened at the party once the survivors recover and give their accounts of the events.

On a personal note: My stepmom's cousin, one of the survivors, is stable but still in ICU recovering from intestinal damage and a fractured pelvis from being shot in the abdomen and upper thigh. Only her kids have had a chance to speak to her, and only briefly. We'll see what she says.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus the family need to ditch this lawyer immediately, he's a liability of stunning proportions.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

President George Bush III will be invading Iraq again while global warming renders half the planet uninhabitable. Obamacare will be repealed for the 433rd time.

And the computer that houses the mental imprint of Hillary Clinton will go before the 29th Benghazi Committee.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The quadraannual Obamacare Repeal Ceremony will be the only bright spot in the lives of Americans. Especially those of us in the annexed Canadian Posessions.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This media circus with the suspects' home is voyeuristic and disgusting as all hell. I'd expect this out of literal tabloids, not 'serious' media types like MSNBC.

Good loving lord. :cripes: This is a disgrace.

BTW, I gracefully admit I was wrong and eat crow with regards to not wanting to attach this to Islamic extremism. The Right reflexively jumps to Muslims being swarthy and untrustworthy as it is so you want to preemptively shout down the bigots. Welp.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

karlor posted:

Agreed. We will only know what happened at the party once the survivors recover and give their accounts of the events.

On a personal note: My stepmom's cousin, one of the survivors, is stable but still in ICU recovering from intestinal damage and a fractured pelvis from being shot in the abdomen and upper thigh. Only her kids have had a chance to speak to her, and only briefly. We'll see what she says.

Yeah, which is why my initial post said it was speculation at this point.

I mean either they spontaneously radicalized since aside from facebook likes there isn't really a trail back to terrorist organizations or there was some sort of trigger since 5 years of working with someone is a hell of a long time to not see signs of being crazy along the way so I don't think this was a Lanza scenario.

Oh, and again that sucks you get to know someone involved in this.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 4, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I hope your family member gets better soon karlor

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Isn't the media basically opening up the suspects' family to violent reprisals and identity theft and etc by broadcasting their photos/social security info/private IDs on live air? That's incredibly invasive to people who are otherwise innocent and had nothing to do with the shooters.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't the media basically opening up the suspects' family to violent reprisals and identity theft and etc by broadcasting their photos/social security info/private IDs on live air? That's incredibly invasive to people who are otherwise innocent and had nothing to do with the shooters.

Yeah definitely, but think of the ratings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yes, just one of the many wonderful reasons that was such an outrageous act.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

Apologies, I missed that. I am admittedly emotional about this.

E: Thank you all for your support.

karlor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
:sympathy: Rooting for you and your family, karlor. You have my well wishes.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Somehow VICE News has become much a classier news organization than multiple mainstream media channels.

Stop the ride please, I want to get off now.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A picture is starting to emerge in my mind where this guy's work drama combined with Wahhabism from his wife.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Don't forget that by hosting messages that demonize conservatives, MSNBC is also responsible for the guy who shot up the Family Research Council - so basically equivalent to ISIS

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

karlor posted:

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean either they spontaneously radicalized since aside from facebook likes there isn't really a trail back to terrorist organizations or there was some sort of trigger since 5 years of working with someone is a hell of a long time to not see signs of being crazy along the way so I don't think this was a Lanza scenario.

The tale told by the survivors is not going to change either the political or journalistic narrative of this story; that's been set in stone and will continue forward without alteration or deviation: Islamic Radicals and ISIS sympathizers slaughter co-workers. That's it. The best outcome now is to hope that the story just goes away and is forgotten. If this, or something like it happens again soon, then all bets are off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Of course the recent shooting is the first thing my mom brings up when I spend the weekend at her house :suicide:

She was saying that the neighboors of the shooters saw them doing suspicious stuff involving packages at midnight but didn't speak up because of "political correctness". Did any of that actually happen or is it a media lie?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Everyone who went into that apartment needs to be put in jail for tampering with an investigation. Every cameraman, every producer, every "journalist". Everyone.

I hope they get no lenience and must serve the full sentence.

Working for a company that produces News does not give you the right to break the law.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I strongly doubt anyone will go to jail.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

fade5 posted:

Somehow VICE News has become much a classier news organization than multiple mainstream media channels.

Stop the ride please, I want to get off now.

rupert murdoch does it again! :sotw:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Xae posted:

Everyone who went into that apartment needs to be put in jail for tampering with an investigation. Every cameraman, every producer, every "journalist". Everyone.

Working for a company that produces News does not give you the right to break the law.

FBI said at their press conference that they'd turned the apartment over to the owner and he could do what he likes. What laws were broken? It was lovely and stupid as hell but seemingly not illegal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have the fuckers from MSNBC been arrested yet? What have I missed in the last 4 hours?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Of course the recent shooting is the first thing my mom brings up when I spend the weekend at her house :suicide:

She was saying that the neighboors of the shooters saw them doing suspicious stuff involving packages at midnight but didn't speak up because of "political correctness". Did any of that actually happen or is it a media lie?

It's almost certainly a lie or even something she made up in her own head.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

karlor posted:

Apologies, I missed that. I am admittedly emotional about this.

E: Thank you all for your support.

Wishing you and yours all the best, man.

I found out through a Facebook IM that one of the victims was someone I used to LARP with. I have no idea what to do with this news; someone I haven't seen in a decade has turned out to be a martyr to the inscrutable and unfathomable. I guess I donate to his widow's GoFundMe?

Eta: if I could somehow involve a selfie and Black Lives Matter, this would be the most 2015 to happen ever

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 5, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

J33uk posted:

What laws were broken?

California tenant law. Landlords can't just let anyone rummage through properly when the tenant dies. The lease passes to the executor of the estate who works with the landlord to remove the property.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xae posted:

Why? What law was broken? What did they tamper with? The FBI had finished with the crime scene and turned the landlord's property back over to him.

Joementum posted:

California tenant law.

That could be a thing, but it isn't the FBI locking him up for some huge violation.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

California tenant law. Landlords can't just let anyone rummage through properly when the tenant dies. The lease passes to the executor of the estate who works with the landlord to remove the property.

Now that makes more sense

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Internet Kraken posted:

Half-true. There was an interview with a neighbor claiming that they saw a lot of middle eastern people going into a middle eastern person's house recently but didn't want to say anything because of political correctness (funny how that coincides with increased scrutiny of swarthy people because of Paris). There was another interview (possibly the same) claiming that there were a lot of suspicious packages received (funny how that coincides with the start of the shopping season).

I've yet to see anything corroborate the "working at midnight" bit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder if Rubio thought about this one at all:

quote:

“I don’t hear anybody talking about bomb control. They put bombs and left bombs behind on the scene of attack, intending to kill even more people than they did with guns.”

— Sen. Marco Rubio, in an interview with Fox News.

Of course, it plays great with his base, but the unasked question is answered within.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Can you walk into a store in any state in the US and buy dynamite without any background checks or licensing? Honest question.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.

Who What Now posted:

It's almost certainly a lie or even something she made up in her own head.

I heard this one from a stranger as well that they had GoPros strapped to them.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder if Rubio thought about this one at all:

Of course, it plays great with his base, but the unasked question is answered within.

Marco Rubio is not a smart man.

Antti posted:

Can you walk into a store in any state in the US and buy dynamite without any background checks or licensing? Honest question.

No

Not that they were using dynamite, but typically building bombs in a residential area is considered gauche.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Why? What law was broken? What did they tamper with? The FBI had finished with the crime scene and turned the landlord's property back over to him.

That could be a thing, but it isn't the FBI locking him up for some huge violation.

They walked into someone's house, which they had no right to enter, then started rummaging through their things. Possibly removing some of them.

Man, if only there was a crime that described that sort of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
It's mind boggling to me that they'd just board up the apartment and leave it there with no one guarding it. Someone could break in and steal evidence and then put the board back and no one would know. What the media did was inexcusable but leaving it unguarded is just as stupid.

• Locked thread