Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Elyv posted:

What about the blazing shoal infect deck?

I really like the version of that with blasphemous act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Dread Return or Sword of the Meek are probably fine.

There's no universe where unbanning Dread Return is a good idea.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

What?! When was this announced?

Wasn't it a judge promo leak?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Wasn't it a judge promo leak?

I vaguely remember something about I think Shardless Agent but this is the first I remember hearing about the Port.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Other takeaway: Stoddard also recognizes that Spider Spawning is the best.

He is correct.

Triple innistrad is the only draft I ever remember that had 2 different combo decks to draft , spider spawning and burning vengeance. They haven't ever been able to make a BV-like draft card work since inn.

E: or not nearly as well

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

I vaguely remember something about I think Shardless Agent but this is the first I remember hearing about the Port.

We brought it up when it was first seen:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Should we ban top?

Why shouldn't we ban top?

ban top and let players trade them in for boosters, then burn all tops destroyed this way

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please please let them print more interesting commons. Pauper loves weird design areas.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Please please let them print more interesting commons. Pauper loves weird design areas.

Commons don't make wizards money, sorry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Stoddard on making double small set drafts work

Biggest takeaways are more commons and less lovely commons (especially cycles of those).

I really like that he wants build-around-me uncommons to be a thing. We haven't had nearly enough of those lately. Not on the level of Spider Spawning / Burning Vengeance anyway.

Death Bot posted:

maybe we'll go back to the era of playable commons again
when was that era exactly?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Banning terminus fixes miracles. It was never a t1 deck until miracles were printed and not having access to a 1 mana instant speed wrath opens up the format for more fair decks that aren't relying on cascade creatures and hymn to overpower the card advantage that terminus + counter/top + snapcaster represents.

Terminus is only played in that deck and it will injure but not destroy the deck and open up the meta. Killing Miracles isn't actually healthy for the format because as the premier (and really only) hard control deck its existence keeps combo in check enough that every deck doesn't need to run blue.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Wait, are people under some idea that Miracles is a dominant deck in the meta? It's annoying, I guess, but it's far from oppressive.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Wait, are people under some idea that Miracles is a dominant deck in the meta? It's annoying, I guess, but it's far from oppressive.

it's a lot less oppressive now that Dig is gone. I don't think it is actually oppressive, and didn't think it it needed to be kneecapped, but I still think terminus is the card to kill over top. there's a hundred bad decks that want to run top, plus one good deck. there's zero bad decks that want to run terminus, and one good deck.

I don't think killing top adds variety to the meta.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tops for some; miniature Jeskai Banners for others.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sigma-X posted:

it's a lot less oppressive now that Dig is gone. I don't think it is actually oppressive, and didn't think it it needed to be kneecapped, but I still think terminus is the card to kill over top. there's a hundred bad decks that want to run top, plus one good deck. there's zero bad decks that want to run terminus, and one good deck.

I don't think killing top adds variety to the meta.

My Thought Lash deck is a lot weaker without Top.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Banning terminus fixes miracles. It was never a t1 deck until miracles were printed

I'd even go so far as to argue that there wasn't a deck called Miracles before the Miracles mechanic was printed :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

when was that era exactly?

Remember when doom blade was a common? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I'd even go so far as to argue that there wasn't a deck called Miracles before the Miracles mechanic was printed :v:

Counterbalance existed in several forms beforehand, which is what I was referring to, obviously.

RUG Counterbalance:
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=36628
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=36246

Standstill Variants like this Dreadstill:
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=35554

Thopters:
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=37839

I had also seen less successful U/W control variants with Wrath of God and the like, although for a long time Firespout was pretty much a wrath that didn't hit your goyfs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Counterbalance existed in several forms beforehand, which is what I was referring to, obviously.

:edi:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Tops for some; miniature Jeskai Banners for others.

Don't blame me: I voted for Vorthos.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Niton posted:

Should we ban top?

Why shouldn't we ban top?

ban top and let players trade them in for boosters, then burn all tops destroyed this way

Assemble a giant stack of random cards at Wizards HQ.

People take in their tops and tap them to draw a card off the stack.

In response, MaRo casts Ancient Grudge, ripping the Top in half, but they get a card for each top they hand in!

Alternatively they can stand there and wait for Maro to cast Ancient Grudge so you can tap it in response, in which case Sam Stoddard turns up and slaps you over the head with an oversized copy of Krosan Grip and takes your lunch money

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

They're never going to make new equipment as good as jitte Batterskull or sofai. Batterskull is blanked by maindeck artifact hate. Stoneforge is ok without jitte.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jassi007 posted:

Batterskull is blanked by maindeck artifact hate.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"dies to removal"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

You actually do end up in a bad spot if you spend two turns worth of mana to get a batterskull into play and your opponent spends only one turn of mana to get rid of it.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

However, they have to kill it when you don't have 3 mana available.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Procrastinator posted:

In response to the Living Weapon trigger, cast Kolaghan's Command. Destroy Batterskull, Shock Stoneforge. Germ Token dies on ETB.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

In response to the Living Weapon trigger, cast Kolaghan's Command. Destroy Batterskull, Shock Stoneforge. Germ Token dies on ETB.

Uh, or let the living weapon resolve and do the same thing. Unless they have 3 mana up, then it's maybe not a great plan.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Yeah, I mean, it doesn't have to be attached to return to your hand.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

My sb card against batterskull is sapphire charm. Call the judge to explain phasing and bask in the incredulous look.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What deck wants Sapphire Charm in its sideboard again?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

What deck wants Sapphire Charm in its sideboard again?

Mono-blue Delver.

It's... not a good deck.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Mono blue delver sounds terrible. I do grixis and if you know what decks you are going to see it's a great troll card. I'm ok with the slot because Dack Fayden is on artifact duty. A resolved and protected batterskull is almost unbeatable and there are a ton of sfm decks. You want like 10 cards that gently caress them up. I preboard 2 pyroblasts so switching them out for something dumb and situational is the way to go.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Bought a few boosters tonight just on a whim. Opened a foil Godless Shrine. The only question now is, with it being Christmas time and all...sell it now or hold onto it and hope that the price of that piece of cardboard goes up to more than $55 in time?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Are there any good custom young pyro tokens?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Molybdenum posted:

Are there any good custom young pyro tokens?

The real question is how scantily clad do you want your red elemental girl.

Outside of that, these two are pretty cool:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

AlternateNu posted:

The real question is how scantily clad do you want your red elemental girl.

Outside of that, these two are pretty cool:

Those look like 8/8s or something. The only non scantily clad red elemental girl I found was this one:

http://tokens.gregrava.com/tokens/elemental-fire/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Molybdenum posted:

Those look like 8/8s or something. The only non scantily clad red elemental girl I found was this one:

http://tokens.gregrava.com/tokens/elemental-fire/

I think that's :thejoke: Inifinite cosmic intimidation! Snuffed out by a squirrel. :(

You can also go this route:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I had a night to myself and I spent some time looking for events on a Friday night. Found a random event called "win a case" a hour away and figured what the hell. Turns out the case was the prize support for the top 8. I won two boxes for a 10 dollar entry.

No deck lists and casual rules. My first opponent was playing with proxies for standard and my last opponent in the finals had at least a 30 card sideboard. Bizarre night.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

I had a night to myself and I spent some time looking for events on a Friday night. Found a random event called "win a case" a hour away and figured what the hell. Turns out the case was the prize support for the top 8. I won two boxes for a 10 dollar entry.

No deck lists and casual rules. My first opponent was playing with proxies for standard and my last opponent in the finals had at least a 30 card sideboard. Bizarre night.

Sounds like a fun time.

I stayed home and played Xenoblade Chronicles because wading through 4 rounds with various flavors of Abzan for a top 4 which is like 30 something in store credit if we split isn't worth it for me right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Apparently at some point recently Wizards instituted some auto-filter for swears in the MTGO chat but it also carries over to the game log. And the list of words they censor is weird. So now "The Rack" is "The ****" and Chief of the Edge of all things is "***** of the Edge."

• Locked thread