Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Check before you spray prime, bones react badly to a LOT of spray primers, which never completely dry, and rub off easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You may find spray priming easier anyway, generally it gives a nicer "tooth" for paint to adhere to than just the bare resin. Just aim for a thin, even coat of primer.

Except these are Reaper Bones he's talking about, don't spray prime Reaper Bones

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Signal posted:

I'm glad I could contribute even a little to helping that wall of shame :D

In my defense, there's a patch of kobolds and some other monsterly things out of frame to the right that make for a whole DOZEN painted minis.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

thespaceinvader posted:

You don't need to prime, but do make sure you wash them before you paint, and leave each layer enough time to dry before handling, and don't thin your first layer. Acrylic can be a little fragile for a couple of days after first application.

When you say "wash" you mean, soap and water? I don't paint wash until I'm done with the regular painting, right?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yes, washing here means soap and water. Make sure you rinse completely and let it dry, then paint.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, wash them with soap and water. This is to remove anything leftover from the casting process that might interfere with painting. Paint washes are applied at the end of the process, mostly.

People have had bad experiences with spray-primers, so check which one you are using and ideally test it before you do something you care about.

I just use a gesso for priming.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Correct, dish soap and water, then rinse well afterwards and make sure they're dry before painting - minis often have mould release agents on them which interfere with paint binding.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like to use an old toothbrush with the soap and water to make sure all those little nooks and crannies get good and clean.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NTRabbit posted:

Except these are Reaper Bones he's talking about, don't spray prime Reaper Bones

Army painter sprays are absolutely fine with Bones, I've done it myself.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Army painter sprays are absolutely fine with Bones, I've done it myself.

I've had good luck with Krylon myself though it needs a bit longer to fully cure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers
Krylon Dual Paint + Primer
Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible
Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky
Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky
Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky
Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky
Citadel spray
Plasti-kote super primer gray - stays tacky, rubs off easily.

Any more, let me know.

Other useful threads/posts:

Over on the Reaper boards, a user by the name of Wren has written up three useful guides to Bones.
Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!
Bones: The First Coat is the Difference
Bones: Preparation (Glues, Putties, Mould Lines, Etc.)

This stuff is in the OP. Definitely read those three Reaper posts, and be wary with Krylon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Those of you that spray prime with an airbrush for your bones, what do you use? I suppose since bones don't need a primer this could really just be a full basecoat, but whatever. I know airbrush medium instead of water is a must for this first layer but wasn't sure if most prefer to use some type of airbrush primer I am unaware of or just regular airbrush acrylic paints.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You can use an airbrush primer if you want but plain old model acrylics will do just fine for Bones.

Seriously, it feels SUUUPER wrong the first few times, but they genuinely don't need to be primed for paint to hold on them properly as long as the first coat isn't too thin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had no trouble spraying Badger Minitaire paint directly onto bare Bones plastic using an airbrush. It adheres well and dries normally.

I can think of four good reasons to prime:
  • Priming black or grey, because you want to paint dark colors for your base colors, but your dark base colors don't cover white very well.
  • Priming thinned black, grey, or sepia, because you want to be able to see the detail on the mini better while you paint it..
  • Priming with any color, because you tend to miss spots with your base and highlight coats, and you don't want patches of white showing through here or there.
  • Priming with anything that sticks and dries properly, because your base coat paints have shown to have poor adherence directly to Bonesium.

All that said, the major advantages of using Bones in the first place are:
  • Bones are cheap as hell
  • Unlike metal, resin, and many other plastics, washed and dried Bones do not require primer in order for most acrylic modeling paints to stick well

Since they're cheap, you may feel less worried about always doing an amazing paint job, because you haven't already invested a lot of money into a given figure. And, since they don't require priming, you can paint them faster, which also generally reduces the amount of time, effort, and money you spend painting a given figure. Of course, you might be painting a Bones figure just because it's the best model you could find for a given purpose... so maybe you don't care about the economics factor and just want to do the best possible paint job you can. In that case, there are some good reasons to prime (see above). Ultimately though, it's not strictly necessary if none of the four items I listed are important for you.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Crossposting from the mini painting thread:

Iris of Ether posted:

I got some more figures finished up this weekend.

The slimes are a coating of Reaper Clear Green + Clear Yellow, followed by highlights of Reaper Alien Goo (and Goo + Golden Blonde), followed by a shitload of clear nail polish. They're still translucent!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin' my Numenera Raster from Bones 2. Thought I was being very clever figuring out a way to make it look like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for the anime bonus prize this month, before realising halfway through that Nausicaa was almost certainly the inspiration for the sculpt in the first place :downs:

NTRabbit posted:

Claiming the challenge and :siren: Anime is TV too!:siren: with my Numenera Raster, painted up to look like

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind :3:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Got a silver dragon done up for a coworkers DnD game and as a test for DDS

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks whoever gave the bones liner primer tip. One of my big problems with bones is getting a surface I like to paint on, and the liners do solve that problem pretty nicely.

Here's a real quick dude for classic black and white monster challenge in the oath tread:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I still can't decide on tiamat. :'(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have we gotten to see any pictures of the new giant sculpts? I'm curious how much they're actually going to deviate from the originals. My understanding is that they're going to be based on the same concept art, but aren't just rebuilding the same original figures.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
As I mention in the Miniatures Painting thread, I got the Reaper halloween freebies with a recent order, here's my take on the contents

HJE-Cobra posted:

I ordered the Halloween bundle special from Reaper Mini, and it arrived in the mail today! Their freebie package included a little baggie with some candy in it and some free paints, plus a free miniature. So while opening up all the figures I ordered, let's see what freebie mini I get...

*sad trombone sound*

At least I got free paint and a couple of Starburst and whatever. Plus it is hilarious that they packaged a rock inside mini packaging and sent it to me in the mail.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretty sure that's actually a cat turd...

...I say, paint it anyhow!

e: vvv

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep that rock new in package for 20 years and then sell it on Future eBay for $500

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Bad Munki posted:

Pretty sure that's actually a cat turd...

...I say, paint it anyhow!

e: vvv

It's definitely a rock, you just can't see all the rocky details in the photo.

But I'll probably leave it in the box for now. Though I doubt futureBay will get me any noticeable amount of money.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got another surprise packages in the mail as a result of picking the right more-or-less random number! I didn't see any indication as to which goon this is, so you'll have to out yourself if you want to. This time, it's a fancy lady, and it's actually metal, not bones!

I think the packaging is a statement about western society's culture of consumerism, or something

there were packing bits but still, lol

Really nice work. As always the camera is a bit harsh (harsh directional sunlight coming in through the window as the only light source doesn't help one bit), the blending on the dress and skin is really great.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Got a silver dragon done up for a coworkers DnD game and as a test for DDS

i somehow missed this. this is real nice and a great use of metallics

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I got another surprise packages in the mail as a result of picking the right more-or-less random number! I didn't see any indication as to which goon this is, so you'll have to out yourself if you want to. This time, it's a fancy lady, and it's actually metal, not bones!

I think the packaging is a statement about western society's culture of consumerism, or something

there were packing bits but still, lol

Really nice work. As always the camera is a bit harsh (harsh directional sunlight coming in through the window as the only light source doesn't help one bit), the blending on the dress and skin is really great.

It was the smallest box I had! Glad it arrived in tact anyways.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Finally getting around to working on my Bones I Cthulu:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pretty Deadly more like Pretty Huge Racks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-3-the-search-for-mr-bones/posts/1421486

I shall name mine Gunnshilda

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone, just a reminder that you can give and/or receive piles of plastic crack in this year's Trad Games Secret Santa! Reaper Bones make an excellent gift for some goon if that goon wants miniatures, which he or she might! If you went all in on Bones I II and III, you probably have a few extra pounds of white vinyl you could stand to ship off. Check it out!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Why does that Solar have a lion face? the concept sketch didn't have a lion face. I am disappointed.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Well, you better decide soon, this thing closes in June! :derp:

Is that the actual closing date to get in? I wasn't able to find a solid answer to that through google or reaper's site, but maybe I'm an idiot. That's good to know, as I don't particularly care about wave.

Felime fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 21, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why does that Solar have a lion face? the concept sketch didn't have a lion face. I am disappointed.

Join the club, I was expecting an Archangel, the Lion thing isn't working for me at all

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

Join the club, I was expecting an Archangel, the Lion thing isn't working for me at all

Lion angel is a cool idea (it could be a guardinal or whatever) but I agree, it's not at all what I would expect. I imagine we all have an idea of what a "Solar" is from years of monster manuals and that's not quite it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Felime posted:

Is that the actual closing date to get in? I wasn't able to find a solid answer to that through google or reaper's site, but maybe I'm an idiot. That's good to know, as I don't particularly care about wave.

That's the final closing date to make additions to your pledge. Do note that you can lock in your pledge now, and ADD stuff as much as you want up until then. So as long as you know what you want to do with the money you already pledged, there's literally no reason to not lock that in now, and doing so would help reaper a little bit by cementing what they need to get done.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

That's the final closing date to make additions to your pledge. Do note that you can lock in your pledge now, and ADD stuff as much as you want up until then. So as long as you know what you want to do with the money you already pledged, there's literally no reason to not lock that in now, and doing so would help reaper a little bit by cementing what they need to get done.

I haven't pledged, but realized I needed white plastic crack in my life, and was wondering if I could wait until january to get in on III. (I didn't do the other bones and the core set is a pretty good deal in that context.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

I wish I hadn't locked in, then I wouldn't have to figure out what to do with $5 now that the Solar looks like rear end.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So apparently the Solar posted before wasn't the right one (it was one of several possible versions, but wasn't the one they actually were going with). The only difference is in the face, and it looks a lot less like a lion and more like a bestial human.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

senrath posted:

So apparently the Solar posted before wasn't the right one (it was one of several possible versions, but wasn't the one they actually were going with). The only difference is in the face, and it looks a lot less like a lion and more like a bestial human.

I just looked at the picture and I'm pretty :geno: about it. I tend to think of a solar as a noble-looking humanoid figure, but a lion angel was a cool idea for a model too. An ugly human seems like the worst of both worlds.

That said, I didn't order it so it's no skin off my nose... except for the opportunity cost of a model I don't like being produced instead of one I do, but that's pretty much par for the course in the miniatures industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just remembered I owe Bad Munki a painted Bone. I bet I'm not the only gambler who forgot. :(

I'm sorry Bad Munki.

• Locked thread