Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If I may try to clarify, I'm not looking to disclaim a desire for inclusivity and representation in fiction. But, I also understand that WTNV came under some contention earlier over a debate that charged that portrayals of Cecil as being white were inherently racist because of a particular line the character spoke.

Of course it loving did. :bang:

Met posted:

It doesn't really matter. :shrug:

This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Guys, we've already been over this.

maxnmona posted:

Cecil is a lion. This is canon.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jurgan posted:

Why do people have this weird compulsion to apologize for caring about other people's feelings?

On 4chan its cool not to care about stuff.

Did you get mad about me saying something incredibly racist? Lol owned.
So you are not really racist?
Oh no, I'm super racist.

:ughh:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Earwicker, was this a one off intro and outro? I really liked it, even more than the new one(not that I don't like that one also). The episodes you've produced have been fantastic!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

docbeard posted:

I will assume until told differently (at which point I will place fingers in ears and shout la la la i am not listening and continue to assume) that Cecil is a salt vampire from that one Star Trek episode and that he looks different to everyone that sees him.

If you disagree you are a racist against salt vampires.

I was just thinking about the buffalo.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah I have to say I think you guys should stick with this new intro, or do a new one every episode.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Earwicker, was this a one off intro and outro? I really liked it, even more than the new one(not that I don't like that one also). The episodes you've produced have been fantastic!

Thanks! yeah it was a one off intro and outro for this episode.

I'm hoping someday they write a spaghetti western episode so I can do some Morricone stuff!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That would be unbelievably loving awesome.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just finally caught up with the show after 2+ years of listening and falling behind and I am so loving glad I did. For me things went from "this is pretty good" to "holy poo poo I love this" around the time of the Old Oak Doors and the Mayoral Election. Really curious to see where the rest of this season goes with what's been going on with Desert Bluffs.

Also...was this founded by SA people? I noticed that Zack Parsons wrote the last episode about the Blood-Space War and the OP keeps saying "we" in reference to the show. It also is uh, really old and back from when the show was just starting. :stare: If so that is really awesome.

I missed the book tour show here in DC but now that I'm caught up hopefully I'll find out if there's another live show in DC from the update at the beginning of episodes rather than saying "ooo they're in DC, oh it was a year and a half ago" :smith:

And a book question: if I got it on Kindle would I be missing out on anything cool in the hardcover edition?

or wait, there's an audiobook version!? is it setup like a super-long episode with a different narration focus or more of a traditional audiobook?

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 6, 2015

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

axeil posted:

Also...was this founded by SA people? I noticed that Zack Parsons wrote the last episode about the Blood-Space War and the OP keeps saying "we" in reference to the show. It also is uh, really old and back from when the show was just starting. :stare: If so that is really awesome.

The OP on this thread (maxnmona, also a former front page writer) is Joseph Fink, the creator of the show. Earwicker (formerly a mod here) is Disparition, the dude who does the music.

This is also like the third or fourth episode Zach Parsons has done.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

axeil posted:

or wait, there's an audiobook version!? is it setup like a super-long episode with a different narration focus or more of a traditional audiobook?

The bulk of it is a traditional audiobook, but there are interludes that are done up like the standard podcast episodes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

for what it's worth there is about an hour's worth of new Disparition music in the audiobook that is not (nor will ever be) on any album nor used in the actual podcast at any point.

also in addition to Cecil the audiobook also includes voice work by Dylan Marron and Retta

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Earwicker posted:

for what it's worth there is about an hour's worth of new Disparition music in the audiobook that is not (nor will ever be) on any album nor used in the actual podcast at any point.

also in addition to Cecil the audiobook also includes voice work by Dylan Marron and Retta

I'm listening to the audiobook right now, and I'm really digging the music. And everything else, but especially the music.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

The OP on this thread (maxnmona, also a former front page writer) is Joseph Fink, the creator of the show. Earwicker (formerly a mod here) is Disparition, the dude who does the music.

Wait seriously? :stare: That's so loving awesome! I think this means we have our first majorly successful goon project that isn't 4chan. :woop:

So I dunno if this has been asked before, but how did you (maxnmona) come up with the idea for Welcome To Night Vale?

Emong posted:

The bulk of it is a traditional audiobook, but there are interludes that are done up like the standard podcast episodes.

Oh nice. I wonder if Amazon is doing an e-book+audiobook special... I got Seveneves that way and it was great because I could listen on the way in to work and pick up where I got off when I got back.

Earwicker posted:

Welp, I'm sold. Love the music you do for the show and an hour of exclusive music is enough of a sell for me.

Thanks for all the clarifying info guys. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread now.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

AstroZamboni posted:

Huh, I thought Earwicker was Jeffrey Cranor. *shrug*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah Jeffrey has never been on SA as far as I know. I think me and Joseph are the only goons involved though I would not be surprised if Mary Epworth secretly had an account here

I don't really think of Night Vale as an "SA thing" even though Joseph and myself have worked here (briefly) and Zach Parsons has written some episodes. A majority of the people involved in the show know each other through the Neofuturists, mostly the NYC branch. But really what everyone has in common, at least in terms of the core group of people from the beginning, is that everyone was involved in the downtown NYC theatre scene in some way

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Good thing though, otherwise you'd owe Lowtax big in Goon Back Taxes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Earwicker posted:

yeah Jeffrey has never been on SA as far as I know. I think me and Joseph are the only goons involved though I would not be surprised if Mary Epworth secretly had an account here

I don't really think of Night Vale as an "SA thing" even though Joseph and myself have worked here (briefly) and Zach Parsons has written some episodes. A majority of the people involved in the show know each other through the Neofuturists, mostly the NYC branch. But really what everyone has in common, at least in terms of the core group of people from the beginning, is that everyone was involved in the downtown NYC theatre scene in some way

Huh, so the show came together by you all just hanging out and what not while rehearsing and doing shows? That's pretty neat. Explains why the production values have been really good since the start; everyone's a fairly experienced actor/writer/musician/eldritch horror already.

Also picked up the e-book and audio-book version of the novel and have been listening in the car on my way to and from work. It's great :D

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Welcome to Night Vale: The Book: The Soundtrack confirmed.

Next will be Welcome to Night Vale: The Coloring Book, Night Vale: The Lunchbox, Night Vale: The Breakfast Cereal, Night Vale: The Flamethrower, and last but not least, Night Vale: The Doll.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

rotinaj posted:

Welcome to Night Vale: The Coloring Book

I would buy this

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Welcome to Night Vale: The Coloring Book

Does Crayola make a Color Out of Space crayon, or do I have to go out and buy that RoseArt bullshit?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

rotinaj posted:

Night Vale: The Doll.

Now you at home can style Carlos' perfect hair. Warning: Touching Carlos' perfect hair may cause insanity{

Or

Now you can care for an inanimate object which has been cursed to be formed into the likeness of beings who believe themselves to be gods and doomed to be forgotten and spend the majority of its existence silently screaming under one ton of other objects that were deemed to be useless by the very beings that created them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The new episode was great. I especially loved the bit about immigrants from rival city Desert Bluffs being tagged with garish orange hats. It seems like there was some subtle social commentary there, if I could only put my finger on it...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, thanks for the Limetown recommendation that I got from the thread. That season finale was… something. :stare:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jurgan posted:

The new episode was great. I especially loved the bit about immigrants from rival city Desert Bluffs being tagged with garish orange hats. It seems like there was some subtle social commentary there, if I could only put my finger on it...

Didn't think I'd be hearing Pro-Trump propaganda from Joseph Fink and crew but here we are.

:v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Almost every episode of WTNV is written pretty far in advance of when it actually comes out, so whenever it seems like there's a reference to something super recent in the news, that's usually just a coincidence.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fun episode. I particular enjoyed the opener. Those lines stuck with me all morning.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

rotinaj posted:

Next will be Welcome to Night Vale: The Coloring Book

It would already be colored, it is up to you to remove said colors.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I listened to most of the novel on a trip last week and finished it last night. That was really wonderful, and hearing it read by Narrator Cecil Baldwin (as distinct from Voice of Night Vale Cecil Palmer) was quite enjoyable. Though it was disturbing to hear my own first name over and over again.

Then I listened to Epilogue again, and it was even better the second time around, after the novel. It worked really well both ways.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Now you at home can style Carlos' perfect hair. Warning: Touching Carlos' perfect hair may cause insanity{

Or

Now you can care for an inanimate object which has been cursed to be formed into the likeness of beings who believe themselves to be gods and doomed to be forgotten and spend the majority of its existence silently screaming under one ton of other objects that were deemed to be useless by the very beings that created them.

In a crossover with Mbmbam, it's one of those haunted dolls sold on ebay.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

this show is awesome

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man I never got into the podcast scene when it was starting, but I've really been enjoying WtNV for the graveyard shifts I've been working recently (up to episode 58 now - Monolith)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
A random thought: the WTNV people really dropped the ball when advertising the Thrilling Adventure Hour crossover, because, since the first recording was lost forever and the second one didn't come out until over half a year later, WTNV has a real, honest-to-every-god lost episode. Imagine the difference in advertising...

TAA: Be sure to tune in for the infamous lost episode of Thrilling Adventure Hour that's captured the imaginations of listeners everywhere!

WTNV: oh god oh god what is this we don't remember making thiA ̀G̡A͢P̡ I͠N͝ T͜IM͜E ̕A̢ GA̸P ̵IǸ ̕THE S̕OUN͞D ҉I͞N̛ ̸THE S͏O͘NǴ I̢N THE҉ ̀WEA͢T͝HE͡R͟ E҉VȨR̸Y E̴A̢R͡ ̛S̛H́A͠LL ̵C͝R͝ĄWL͡ ̸WI҉T͘H ͞MĄG͢GOTŚ WI̡TH̕ ́TEÉN͢Y TINY HEADPHONE͢S̶ ҉O͜N ̴T̵HEY͝ AR͠E ҉N̡O̡T ̢M̢I͠SŞING ͏THI̕S͠ ͢S҉H͟I҉T͟ ͡FO͞R͜ T҉H̶E ͝CRU̸M͘B̷L̴I̛N҉G W̷ƠRL͡D

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 12, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BiggerJ posted:

A random thought: the WTNV people really dropped the ball when advertising the Thrilling Adventure Hour crossover, because, since the first recording was lost forever and the second one didn't come out until over half a year later, WTNV has a real, honest-to-every-god lost episode. Imagine the difference in advertising...

TAA: Be sure to tune in for the infamous lost episode of Thrilling Adventure Hour that's caputed the imaginations of listeners everywhere!

WTNV: oh god oh god what is this we don't remember making thiA ̀G̡A͢P̡ I͠N͝ T͜IM͜E ̕A̢ GA̸P ̵IǸ ̕THE S̕OUN͞D ҉I͞N̛ ̸THE S͏O͘NǴ I̢N THE҉ ̀WEA͢T͝HE͡R͟ E҉VȨR̸Y E̴A̢R͡ ̛S̛H́A͠LL ̵C͝R͝ĄWL͡ ̸WI҉T͘H ͞MĄG͢GOTŚ WI̡TH̕ ́TEÉN͢Y TINY HEADPHONE͢S̶ ҉O͜N ̴T̵HEY͝ AR͠E ҉N̡O̡T ̢M̢I͠SŞING ͏THI̕S͠ ͢S҉H͟I҉T͟ ͡FO͞R͜ T҉H̶E ͝CRU̸M͘B̷L̴I̛N҉G W̷ƠRL͡D

All the clever metafictional advertising in the world wouldn't have done much to make that rambling plotless mess full of empty catchphrases, awkward pauses, and relentless mugging any better, sadly.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just saw on Facebook that there are plans for a sort of spinoff podcast called Alice Isn't Dead starring Jasika Nicole (Intern/Mayor Dana) as part of a Night Vale Presents podcasting platform. Looking forward to it!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

angerbeet posted:

Just saw on Facebook that there are plans for a sort of spinoff podcast called Alice Isn't Dead starring Jasika Nicole (Intern/Mayor Dana) as part of a Night Vale Presents podcasting platform. Looking forward to it!

Awesome.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

This radio show is so good. I'm listening to the one where the flamingo orders from the bar. lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

angerbeet posted:

its only a spinoff in the sense that it's by Joseph Fink and its coming from Night Vale Presents. story-wise it is completely separate, i.e. Jasika is not playing Dana

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I hate January it's the worst month :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Doghouse posted:

I hate January it's the worst month :f5:

Its ok. Last month was good enough to listen to multiple times!

OH GOD :f5: