Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Back from the latest beta.

Frontier ironed out a lot of the sound problems. Graphics issues still persist, but thats a given. I've dropped my settings from ultra to medium and can hit a locked 60FPS constant.

My impressions:
- Planetary landings is a huge huge expansion. Lots of things to do if you know how to go about it.
- Simply being able to fly "into" a planet is just mind boggling.
- The past 3 days I've spent on 2 systems, to and fro. Running missions between stations, and spaceports.
- Flying into an ice planet with rings and then flying into its canyons just cause feels so empowering.
- That star trek feeling of being the only living player character on the planet
- Can't wait to discover / play more.

Crashes have been mostly resolved the past patch. Everything is quite stable now.

Oh for those thinking "bigger is better". I've testing landings with Corvette vs Viper Mk4. Viper is superior when it comes to doing ground missions (easier to find a landing spot, and smaller target for NPCs to hit, more nimble, less mass / inertia to fly in gravity). I'll write another post on this later after more tests. But the Corvette is like flying a bulky mothership of sorts in gravity, the strain the thrusters have vs gravity can be heard and felt. Its quite amazing.

What was that planet in beta again which has everything? My local planet in beta has some annoying holes in its offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Grondoth posted:

What was happening here? Was the corvette trying to shoot the srv when it was on it?

Nah, no shooting happening. That was solely the srv driving on the vette and exploring it's collision bounding box. I guess Frontier didn't test for it or didn't bother yet but that's the result. Haven't tried in the newest patch yet so maybe the purple disco doesn't happen anymore!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

alphabettitouretti posted:

How's the Fed Assault Ship? I like the idea of having two medium points in addition to the two large like a Vulture, but is it just a big fat target?

No, it dunks on poo poo hard. It's a strong contender for dethroning Gutamaya Supremacy, especially with the updates in 2.0 that will end the SCB meta and make hulls matter. FAS is in contention for best ship in the game, truthfully, once the hull changes hit.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

How's the Fed Assault Ship? I like the idea of having two medium points in addition to the two large like a Vulture, but is it just a big fat target?

It's a serious contender for best combat ship in the game. It's certainly my favorite, above the Battleconda, Vulture, Python, and Corvette.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Reminder for beta havers, we have an exclusive CG
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206559

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Oh gently caress. Do you mean I might have to play this again?

oh gently caress it's a flight sim version of the Mako from Mass Effect. I'm boned.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

So bought into this off the black friday sale and it sure is pretty. I have a few questions though:

1) How the hell do you get bounties above ~200K or so? Even with a KWS I barely breach that when splashing high-level anacondas in high-risk RESes.

2) How do you join a faction/why would you ever want to, apart from getting the couple dinky totally-not-a-type7 ships?

3) This is more of a nitpick but why in the absolute loving hell is my ~400T "Space superiority fighter" only carrying 30 rounds of ammunition for a size 1 gun, and a "top tier" sensor array that can't see poo poo until I almost run into it. I can spot and visually ID a (fer-de-lance/python and up) target from what feels like twice the range that the ship's sensors can even bother to get a distorted blip of "something over there" even if it's an anaconda that's putting on a version of the 4th of july.

:frontear: :frontear: :frontear: :frontear: :frontear:

1: Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for single bounties off of one ship that are worth more than 200k? I think we'd all love to know where you could find a steady supply of those. The accepted method for pulling in the Romney levels of cash off of bounties is farming until your eyes bleed and then farming s'more, preferably in HazRes sites.

2: You can't specifically join the Empire/Federation/Alliance as, per game lore, we all fly for the Pilots Federation which remains neutral to the three as an organization. You can become friendly/allied with the three main powers through missions for smaller factions affiliated with said power but there is no "joining them" as you've put it.

Power play is much the same. You can pledge your allegiance (Which is about as close as we get to joining anything) and go pewpew spacemans for Space Khaleesi until your heart is content, or you can ignore it like most of us do unless there's some specific power play specific modified item that you want, like Pack hound missile launchers or Aisling's prismatic shield.

As is noted in a post above this one, the Federation's Federal Assault Ship and the Empire's Imperial Clipper are probably the best two ships in the game. They are totally not type7's in any way.

3: :frontear: - We're still waiting for all of the weapon variants that were in beta/gamma to reappear man. I don't think they really thought out their weapons all that well. IE: Class 2 missile launchers that can hold 18 missiles (visibly on the model) but somehow only fire 6 at a time and carry none in reserve.

Someone else noted (can't remember if it was this thread or the pgs thread) that it always seems like Frontier is completely surprised that people in this online only game actually want to fly together. Their grouping mechanics are incredibly sub-par and they've never confirmed (Not that I've seen at least) any type of future clan or org mechanic, merely said they were "thinking about it" due to the amount of player requests for such a thing.

Allowing us to introduce player made small factions into systems where we can work to support but not join them is about as far as we've gotten.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 4, 2015

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So the event for explorers wants planet data.

Anyone got any good podcasts? I've listened to all of WHM, dollop, giant bomb, and fplus already(I have lots of podcast time). Please, someone help me. I have to scan every planet.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
13 seasons of King of the Hill and a second monitor is a good podcast

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DarthBlingBling posted:

13 seasons of King of the Hill and a second monitor is a good podcast

If someone could help me figure out why my second monitor lags to poo poo on videos while an portion of a planet is on screen that would be nifty :(

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If someone could help me figure out why my second monitor lags to poo poo on videos while an portion of a planet is on screen that would be nifty :(

The planet near the DF station seriously fucks my machine. Like, a big black box gets overlaid over the whole thing unless I look at it just right, and the box covers absolutely everything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Anyone got any good podcasts? I've listened to all of WHM, dollop, giant bomb, and fplus already(I have lots of podcast time). Please, someone help me. I have to scan every planet.

Are you interested in history?

This is a podcast about Roman history.

The same guy also made a podcast about Revolutions after finishing up with this. Then there's Dan Carlin and his 4+ hour mega-history podcasts. You could probably let the podcasts from those two guys run for an entire year straight and not run out of material.

Also I think regardless of what the CG says, only reports are counted. So you don't have to scan every lump of ice you find, the sun alone counts. And I'm not even sure about this, someone would have to test turning in reports without any higher level scans at all and see if the counter goes up.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Someone at work recommend Dan Carlin; he's pretty interesting.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Grondoth posted:

My Brother, My Brother, and Me is an amazing comedy podcast. No continuity between episodes so just pick one at random! The Bugle was a good current-news podcast with John Oliver, although its on hiatus now because of his show.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

2) How do you join a faction/why would you ever want to, apart from getting the couple dinky totally-not-a-type7 ships?

That's right, the Imperial Clipper and Federal Assault Ship are totally not Type-7's, as they are two of the best combat ships in the game and the Type 7 is a sluggish space truck. What are you trying to say, anyway? :psyduck:

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
What makes the FAS superior to a Python?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LCL-Dead posted:

You're not the only one and I've only been able to look at pictures of it.

It has horrifying heat issues from my test flights with it. 4 multicanons spiked it to 90% heat with a single clip.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Duuk posted:

What makes the FAS superior to a Python?

Handling, and straight-line speed. It can turn fast, and even yaw well by Elite standards.

In a PvP fight to the death between both of 'em maxed out (and with how shield banks currently work) the Python would probably win, or at least not die, but the FAS is so much more fun.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That Explorer's Association news clip thing, is it an actual ingame event (like is there somewhere in particular paying more for exploration data) or just fluff?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AegisP posted:

That Explorer's Association news clip thing, is it an actual ingame event (like is there somewhere in particular paying more for exploration data) or just fluff?

Go to Lave, Lave Station and find out.

Grondoth posted:

I just tested this again to make sure. Don't waste time scanning all planets, only star systems count as a "report". The community goal is literally unable to discriminate between a star system filled with 99 Earth-like planets and and a star system with just the sun alone. :shepface:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Libluini posted:

Go to Lave, Lave Station and find out.

I just tested this again to make sure. Don't waste time scanning all planets, only star systems count as a "report". The community goal is literally unable to discriminate between a star system filled with 99 Earth-like planets and and a star system with just the sun alone. :shepface:

Insert excuse here
-or-
:frontear:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

AegisP posted:

There is a community goal currently active at Lave which will give you a bonus for turning in exploration data there. Probably a few million when it finishes if you have a decent amount.

As it's Lave, expect to have a warm 'welcome' if you try that in open...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

There is a community goal currently active at Lave which will give you a bonus for turning in exploration data there. Probably a few million when it finishes if you have a decent amount.

As it's Lave, expect to have a warm 'welcome' if you try that in open...

On the other hand, if you don't have much exploration-data because you only did a short trip to visit some weird star nearby, go hogg wild you thrill seeker you!

(When I went there just now to drop off my test-data, there were a couple commanders in Lave babbling something about "luring him out of Leesti", but no-one bothered me and my Asp. So the welcome can be confusingly mellow, too!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grondoth posted:

The Artie Lang Podcast is pretty good. It's 6 bucks a month but worth it imo.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So I've been throwing a bunch of hours at the beta, and my basic and rambling take away is that ...

Landing is cool, but ... gameplay isn't there to support it in a meaningful way. The one fringe case I can come up with us the FSD booster may enable Commanders to reach previously unreachable systems and nebulae (ie Lemon Slice and Helix). So once Commanders are sitting on 300 of their little rocks to enough of the synthesis end of things for when they need it, there isn't any additional gameplay loop Planetside to get you down there.

Driving the SRV needs some more work, I feel the terrain has more control over the buggy than steering does regardless of speed, but that just may be as a result of using a joystick and not really bashing it out at full range for steering. It makes it a real pain to drive, I'm having to really use the Handbrake a whole bunch as a toggle to basically stop-go-stop when you need a bit more precision when driving around on big inclines, resource collection and docking. I'm just not feeling it with a stick, I'm tempted to bind in a Xbox Pad just for the buggy, but I fear it won't work well with the HOTAS and oodles of USB devices like my headtracking that are already pouring data into Elite.

Also did Roll in the SRV just break in Beta 3? Steering is still fine, but roll doesn't appear to be bindable separately.

Also "Vertical Thrusters" is just "Vertical Thruster" because even though it's boundable to an axis there is no down force thrusters as far as I can tell - something that would be super handy on low-G worlds for traction.

Landfall from the ship perspective needs some tweaks, but thrusters don't feel right when you go from 0 speed hover with the auto thrusters, to manual thrusters for descent and you just rocket down. Whatever numbers are running on the inside they're not equivalent and it leads to really odd situations.

Mineral collection is neat, the benefits are really cool, but it's a frustrating roll of the dice for encounters rather than "For this type of mineral I need to go ... here". I'd prefer if resource nodes came in large clumps at particularly interesting terrains rather than being a random scatter that they seem to be.

I'm LOVING the changes to the FDL. As my premier fuckin-in ship I'm glad to see it better - given the choice would have taken Distro over Plant though. The Corvette is arguably too good, the Cutter is arguably not good enough. FDEV really need to rethink the "Boom and Zoom" angle because none of the ships tailored in that way are much fun, perhaps they need to rethink where the bluezone on the throttle is in those craft. High location for snub fighters, low throttle location for high speed "boomers". Because bottom line the Cutter is cool ship, that's utterly miserable to fly.

The "reskins" Scout, Cobra, Viper look poo poo up close. The Viper basically looks like they've just thrown some additional mesh at it as if the old Viper is still there just clicked into the fatter outer frame.

Little UI changes are amazing. Navigation points being occuluded and bindable toggle for Orbit Lines is real nice.

Arach fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 5, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Latest beta patch unlinked rover roll from turning. I think you can rebound it in the options.

Also the Keelback is an example of a variant done right imo.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude and the Mega64 podcast are good.

Also, content-wise, what's the preferred ship for Robigo runs? Should I just outfit a type-6 for distance?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Draxion posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude and the Mega64 podcast are good.

Also, content-wise, what's the preferred ship for Robigo runs? Should I just outfit a type-6 for distance?

Type-6 for distance looks alright but you'll spend time scooping. The Asp is the gold standard. From the Type-6 you'll sacrifice some cargo space for a lot more jump range and it's a little faster to boot.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Chris roberts wants me to betray Diamond Frogs :stare:

drat Chris Roberts certainly hates goons

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The SRV needs to be made significantly heavier, or the little thrusters on the wheels need a big buff. As is the thing goes flying constantly even on Earth-sized planets.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is there a way to just search for the nearest system of a certain type? I've got like 45,000 cr worth of bounties to pick up in the alliance systems but I've never even been near any of those, and I just had to kinda wander around on the map screen for a while to find the nearest one which is like 90 LY away, but I'm not even sure I didn't miss something much closer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

super fart shooter posted:

Is there a way to just search for the nearest system of a certain type? I've got like 45,000 cr worth of bounties to pick up in the alliance systems but I've never even been near any of those, and I just had to kinda wander around on the map screen for a while to find the nearest one which is like 90 LY away, but I'm not even sure I didn't miss something much closer.

You can filter your galaxy map for economy, star type, population, allegiance, and a couple other things. Just set it to show you the nearest Alliance-aligned system.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Ok so I've googled and searched for information on grinding imperial ranks for the clipper and am i right in believe that i just do poo poo loads of missions and ill eventually get an ascension mission?

Are there any tricks to making this process not terrible?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Dark Off posted:

Chris roberts wants me to betray Diamond Frogs :stare:

drat Chris Roberts certainly hates goons

:wtchris:
He's salty because SC Alpha 2.0 is a (predictably) buggy and unfun mess.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Latest beta patch unlinked rover roll from turning. I think you can rebound it in the options.

This is cool as heck

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You can filter your galaxy map for economy, star type, population, allegiance, and a couple other things. Just set it to show you the nearest Alliance-aligned system.

Okay I know about all the map filters but how do I get it to find me the nearest possible system, I'm not seeing that option anywhere

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Arach posted:

Also "Vertical Thrusters" is just "Vertical Thruster" because even though it's boundable to an axis there is no down force thrusters as far as I can tell - something that would be super handy on low-G worlds for traction.
The SRV already does this on its own.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shine posted:

That's right, the Imperial Clipper and Federal Assault Ship are totally not Type-7's, as they are two of the best combat ships in the game and the Type 7 is a sluggish space truck. What are you trying to say, anyway? :psyduck:

Wait I thought the Clipper was basically a better-defended truck due to the ridiculous wing weapon mounts? :downs: Not like I can afford one yet or anything.

LCL-Dead posted:

1: Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for single bounties off of one ship that are worth more than 200k? I think we'd all love to know where you could find a steady supply of those. The accepted method for pulling in the Romney levels of cash off of bounties is farming until your eyes bleed and then farming s'more, preferably in HazRes sites.

2: You can't specifically join the Empire/Federation/Alliance as, per game lore, we all fly for the Pilots Federation which remains neutral to the three as an organization. You can become friendly/allied with the three main powers through missions for smaller factions affiliated with said power but there is no "joining them" as you've put it.

As is noted in a post above this one, the Federation's Federal Assault Ship and the Empire's Imperial Clipper are probably the best two ships in the game. They are totally not type7's in any way.

3: :frontear: - We're still waiting for all of the weapon variants that were in beta/gamma to reappear man. I don't think they really thought out their weapons all that well. IE: Class 2 missile launchers that can hold 18 missiles (visibly on the model) but somehow only fire 6 at a time and carry none in reserve.

1: Yeah I keep seeing people mentioning getting 15-30M/hr bounty hunting, meantime I'm running around high intensity res'es in a vulture and can't seem to find enough big fish to get above 1-1.5/hour or so. Partly because of the ridiculous 7KM scan range, as well.

2: I'm already Allied with both feds and imps, but I couldn't figure out how to start getting the actual ranks that are required to buy their ships, which is why I was asking. Everyone's green to me, but in the standings window I get Relationship: Ally, Rank: None. Finally found out that evidently you need to do rankup missions that might or might not appear on bulletin boards. Which is just terrific.

3: The more I look at gear the more I start to think that they really just copy-pasted the same stats for everything from the sidewinder list and called it good enough. Again, scanners that can't even extend to the full line of sight. :frontear:

Also was there ever a reason given why every single ship has the same exact UI and control scheme? A sidewinder has the same exact setup as a type 6 which has the same exact setup as a drat Anaconda. Is this just a thing or are they planning on changing it up at some point?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Reading some of the brown sea comments about srv fuel, you'd think Fun broke into their house, murdered their families, and they have taken a vow to never let Fun happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Wait I thought the Clipper was basically a better-defended truck due to the ridiculous wing weapon mounts? :downs: Not like I can afford one yet or anything.

It's not the best PVE shootmans ship in terms of raw damage, but it's the premier boom-n-zoomer in PVP (acts as a ram) and can dictate any engagement with its speed.

The wing mounts thing just makes it so you have to use gimbals, it doesn't make it worthless or anything.

Also, not only does it carry more than the Type-7, it does so in safety - can carry a shield, power it AND guns, and goes really drat fast.

It's a hell of a ship, one of the best in the game IMO

Edit: It does all of that if you spend quite a bit of money tho, more than you would on a Type-7.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 5, 2015

• Locked thread