Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Antti posted:

Can you walk into a store in any state in the US and buy dynamite without any background checks or licensing? Honest question.

Don't think so, but up until the Oklahoma City Bombing you could buy all the ammonia nitrate you wanted without anyone batting an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gravel Gravy posted:

Marco Rubio is not a smart man.

You don't have to look smart if you aren't trying to appeal to smart people.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gravel Gravy posted:

No

Not that they were using dynamite, but typically building bombs in a residential area is considered gauche.

Yeah, dynamite was just the first example I could think of - basically, buying explosives (or materials that can be trivially turned into an explosive).

But I would not have been terribly surprised to hear the answer as "yes."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Anyone know if the government is going to shut down next week?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sullat posted:

Anyone know if the government is going to shut down next week?

If you knew that you could make a return on Predictit better than the stock market right now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Antti posted:

Yeah, dynamite was just the first example I could think of - basically, buying explosives (or materials that can be trivially turned into an explosive).

You can't buy explosives easily in the USA, except maybe black powder.

But with internet access and about 10 minutes you can figure out how to build one and order the materials.

The Oklahoma City bomb was basically diesel fuel and fertilizer.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Antti posted:

After the Oklahoma bombing you got checked out by the Feds if you purchased a certain amount of fertilizer.

Guns though :effort:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gravel Gravy posted:

After the Oklahoma bombing you got checked out by the Feds if you purchased a certain amount of fertilizer.

Guns though :effort:

Can I purchase fertilizer if I'm on the terrorist watch list?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well if they did track ammo purchases or anything like that then all it would show is a majority of white people gearing up for the "race war" they think will happen.

Just like congress buried that whole " Hey, guys Racist White Supremacy Groups are Growing since Obama was Elected" FBI report thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some microphone mis-management by the Speaker and a speech from spaceman Bill in this week's hits and misses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowqY86U-0k

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sydin posted:

Are we speaking hypothetically or are you asking for a friend?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xae posted:

They walked into someone's house, which they had no right to enter, then started rummaging through their things. Possibly removing some of them.

Man, if only there was a crime that described that sort of action.

I know you're really concerned about terrorist's property rights, but I think a landlord can go into his own unit if the tenants are dead. Heck, I'm pretty sure there are circumstances where he can do it while their alive.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

spacetoaster posted:

I know you're really concerned about terrorist's property rights, but I think a landlord can go into his own unit if the tenants are dead. Heck, I'm pretty sure there are circumstances where he can do it while their alive.

Hell those Weekend at Bernie kids threw a drat party!

Twice

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Joementum posted:

Some microphone mis-management by the Speaker and a speech from spaceman Bill in this week's hits and misses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NowqY86U-0k

lol, When did Paul Ryan get a beard? I thought he was shooting for the Young Gun look.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sydin posted:

They certainly pay attention to that purchase, that's for sure. That might even be enough to get a warrant to tap your phones, monitor your Internet traffic, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thump! posted:

lol, When did Paul Ryan get a beard? I thought he was shooting for the Young Gun look.

Well, that beard does kind of say "hit puberty over the summer and came back to school with a poor excuse for a beard."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Jesus, MSNBC. All they and CNN have to do to be better than Fox is refrain from being a cesspool of filth and hatred, and yet they keep finding new ways to suck.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Jesus, MSNBC. All they and CNN have to do to be better than Fox is refrain from being a cesspool of filth and hatred

They tried that and got crushed in the ratings.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Thump! posted:

Maybe he grew it for Movember and decided to keep it.

If so that's a pretty lovely beard for a month's growth.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When money is your primary goal, factual reporting and human decency go out the window. Its all about whatever you can do to increase that view count.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

On mobile so can't link to evidence, but A) rooting for violating rights because terrorism makes you look great keep it up B) landlords don't have that right even if they're dead under CA tenancy law for exactly the reason this happened (relatives have valuable items and documents inside) and C) pretty sure this was actually still a San Bernardino PD crime scene, they just completely hosed up. Also continuing doubts whether the FBI did a good job in securing evidence, CNN's LEO consultant was going nuts on air because he didn't see any dusting for fingerprints prior to the media frenzy and that's contaminated; loads of personal documents and shredded material were also seen on air that were apparently never shipped back to Quantico.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 5, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And then not two sentences later: "She described her husband as very outspoken about Islamic terrorism, with strong conservative politics."

She may well be covering him the same way we all look at our relatives and loved ones with rose-colored glasses.

What does this have to do with him being shot. People are assholes everyday and it's still not legal to shoot them, much less a room full of people over it

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

What does this have to do with him being shot. People are assholes everyday and it's still not legal to shoot them, much less a room full of people over it
It's a possible motive, nobody is arguing the shooting was legal ffs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Odds are the decision of what to do with the apartment would've fallen to the grandmother as per tenant laws.

Want to know if she had POA? Helpfully you know exactly where to find her to ask her now thanks to crack reporters on the scene. I wonder how many credit card applications that poor woman has on her record now

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Motive for the shooting?

I mean yeah, being gunned down because you're a huge rear end in a top hat is still hosed up and wrong and obviously illegal, but being a huge rear end in a top hat means you're probably more likely to set someone off.

Basically we should all follow the divine words of Bill S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan, "Be excellent to each other."

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

Motive for the shooting?

I mean yeah, being gunned down because you're a huge rear end in a top hat is still hosed up and wrong, but being a huge rear end in a top hat means you're probably more likely to set someone off.

Basically we should all follow the divine words of Bill S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan, "Be excellent to each other."

I thought that they had been stockpiling guns and ammo for a while.

I guess it could be a combination terrorism/workplace violence, it's just weird that that much preparation would have gone into it. But then I remember killdozer

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I don't think anyone is excusing murder, if that's your implication.

But if you think that a consistent stream of hate speech directed at a person or group in a manner that is frankly, according to everything I've seen about this incident, tacitly approved of by a number of people in public, isn't likely to incite even a single person to violence, you've got another thing coming.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Toshimo posted:

I don't think anyone is excusing murder, if that's your implication.

But if you think that a consistent stream of hate speech directed at a person or group in a manner that is frankly, according to everything I've seen about this incident, tacitly approved of by a number of people in public, isn't likely to incite even a single person to violence, you've got another thing coming.

No, I just think someone saying inappropriate things at work is more of an hr issue than a shooting issue?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

No, I just think someone saying inappropriate things at work is more of an hr issue than a shooting issue?

No one is arguing with this inane and self-evident assertion.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm sorry that you are unable to read?

quote:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

What if HR doesn't give a poo poo?

I mean the Columbine kids were bullied extensively without anyone stepping in so it's not like that's unheard of when it comes to mass shootings. I mean yeah they were also insane but I'm sure the bullying didn't help.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

When the public narrative of the entire country you live in has shifted to an indictment of a significant portion of its populace based on the color of their skin and the sky wizard they choose to pray to, to the point where constant harassment and hate speech are condoned by multiple people running for the highest office in the land AND THEY ARE THE FRONTRUNNERS OF A MAJOR PARTY maybe it's a bit beyond HR?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Toshimo posted:

When the public narrative of the entire country you live in has shifted to an indictment of a significant portion of its populace based on the color of their skin and the sky wizard they choose to pray to, to the point where constant harassment and hate speech are condoned by multiple people running for the highest office in the land AND THEY ARE THE FRONTRUNNERS OF A MAJOR PARTY maybe it's a bit beyond HR?

Yeah, this is really gross I'm done. Similar logic could be used to justify the planned parenthood shootings and I'm not okay with it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

What if HR doesn't give a poo poo?

I mean the Columbine kids were bullied extensively without anyone stepping in so it's not like that not unheard of when it comes to mass shootings. I mean yeah they were also insane but I'm sure the bullying didn't help.

well then you obviously declare your adherence to a group that is big into torture, sex slavery, and mass executions and shoot up everyone in your office

also that actually isn't what happened at Columbine at all, but lets keep on victim blaming while insisting that isn't what we were doing

if they'd only had more progressive opinions this tragedy could have been avoided

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Unzip and Attack posted:

Nor is anyone actually arguing a point I saw read earlier: that the chances of being shot mean that freedom of speech should be restricted to avoid offending people.

What people are trying to argue is that being diplomatic rather than being an argumentative, arguably hateful, hothead goes a lot further towards resolving these disputes peacefully rather than in a bloodbath.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope this leads to increased scrutiny of all persons stockpiling massive amounts of guns and ammo because that's pretty much the main link between all these attacks and lord knows nothing else will be done that is good as a result.

Also, I work on and live near a college campus, a big one. I often have to remind people that there's like a 0% chance that it's going to be a radical jihadi that busts in and guns us down if it happens, but rather it's almost certainly going to be a white supremacist who snaps because he saw a woman in a hijab.

It helped my point, unfortunately, when it literally happened here that a dude snapped after seeing a hijab and beat the poo poo out of a Muslim lady at a cafe.

I've been pretty touch and go with this. Trying to wrap my head around it is making sobriety a lot more difficult. Something good will happen from this, it has to.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

I'm sorry that you are unable to read?

I think you should re-read the statement you quoted. No one is saying the alleged douchery of the murder victim in any way justifies the murder. What people are saying is that it establishes a potential motive for the killings. If you can't understand the difference there, then no one can help you.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Jesus, I heard it was bad but I didn't realize that reporters were literally picking their way through documents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi89meqLyIo

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Unzip and Attack posted:

I think you should re-read the statement you quoted. No one is saying the alleged douchery of the murder victim in any way justifies the murder. What people are saying is that it establishes a potential motive for the killings. If you can't understand the difference there, then no one can help you.

Toshimo posted:

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yeah, this is really gross I'm done. Similar logic could be used to justify the planned parenthood shootings and I'm not okay with it

I don't even get what you are arguing.

It's pretty simple.

Murder isn't ok.

Neither is the fact that we, as a county, are persecuting a portion of the population.

When people get mercilessly attacked at home, at work, in the news, by the politicians that supposedly represent them, yeah, the most unhinged and desperate are going to turn to violence.

So maybe everyone should be less lovely to each other as a start. Maybe this rear end in a top hat who was picking fights on Facebook and while IN THE OFFICE WHILE OTHERS LISTENED ON THE PHONE shouldn't have done that. I'm not suggesting in the slightest that we can point at him and pin it on him. I'm just saying maybe EVERYONE BEING lovely SHOULD TONE DOWN THEIR RHETORIC. Not because it will prevent incidents like this, it probably won't. But because maybe we should just not be lovely to each other.

• Locked thread