Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

I am hard like a diamond, please tell me the 800 stands for CuIn.

Unlikely in a config that small, but you could get them with a 903 cubic inch cummins V8 :black101:

DODGE POWER GIANT :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

corn in the fridge posted:

Hello

It me

I was wondering after all these years

You'd like to meet

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's pretty poo poo looking for a Bertone but then they've not put out anything decent since the early 80s.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

88h88 posted:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's pretty poo poo looking for a Bertone but then they've not put out anything decent since the early 80s.

At least they can say that they triiiiiiiiied.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Locator posted:

The entire thing is just a work of art. I'd be interested in knowing more about it from the technical side, especially, given the source of the engine, the cooling. Boat engines are designed knowing that they have an endless supply of cool/cold water to suck through the ridiculously powerful mill. I wonder how they managed to get this to stay cool with a closed system.

From what I understand.
Boat engines (at least chevy/mercury) are generally the same as their car counterparts, just more buck since you don't want it to explode and dump a bunch of oil into the water.

Edit:

i.e. special head gaskets, bronze fittings, compression ratio, possibly reverse crank, special seals (possibly ceramic), and of course, completely different camshaft profiles.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

88h88 posted:

The car is a one-off paid for by commission.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The car is a one-off paid for by commission.

I'm aware of that but it makes my opinion on the design any less valid because........... ?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'll give you happiest, but for coolest, my vote still goes for the 1971 Starstreak:

I would legit DD this.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

88h88 posted:

I'm aware of that but it makes my opinion on the design any less valid because........... ?

I never said it did? You implied that they shouldn't have built it cause it's ugly and im merely stating that it was built because a private customer wanted and paid for it to be built, which is a good enough reason if any.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

From what I understand.
Boat engines (at least chevy/mercury) are generally the same as their car counterparts, just more buck since you don't want it to explode and dump a bunch of oil into the water.

Edit:

i.e. special head gaskets, bronze fittings, compression ratio, possibly reverse crank, special seals (possibly ceramic), and of course, completely different camshaft profiles.

antique marine diesels were sorta the same, plus biggest drat injectors that'd fit. These engines were also found in fire engines.

some truck owners got smart and did the same, but they couldn't run full tilt without running a bit warm.

Liiike these guys:

Powershift posted:

Unlikely in a config that small, but you could get them with a 903 cubic inch cummins V8 :black101:

That said a turned up 8v92TA/12v71TA bus is quite a hoot.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

From what I understand.

Edit:

This is partially true, but the class of engines that Mercury live in are designed mainly for offshore, Cigarette-type powerboats, So you get all that anti-pollution, anti-explodey stuff, but with all kinds of wicked internals designed to make that engine live for hours @ WOT.

Technically a NASCAR 358 is similar to any other V8, except again, designed to be at WOT for hours. This is why a lot of people have used old NASCAR engines in street cars, they are bulletproof for daily driving conditions.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I never said it did? You implied that they shouldn't have built it cause it's ugly and im merely stating that it was built because a private customer wanted and paid for it to be built, which is a good enough reason if any.

It was a 'that is ugly' comment more than anything else, it was an expression of disappointment in Bertone because they used to design such fantastic looking cars. These are all Marcello Gandini designs and when he left in 1980 Bertone went downhill massively in terms of style.

In comparison to the above, the Jet is poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 3, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Speaking of Bertone, Mike Spinelli and the guys from Classic Car Club Manhattan did a cool piece on After/Drive on their favorite Bertone designs.

Just be warned that it's a roundtable discussion, I know some guys hate watching videos of dudes talking about cars without actually seeing those cars driving around.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Powershift posted:

Sodium exhaust valves in the 60s. Cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Speaking of Bertone, Mike Spinelli and the guys from Classic Car Club Manhattan did a cool piece on After/Drive on their favorite Bertone designs.

Just be warned that it's a roundtable discussion, I know some guys hate watching videos of dudes talking about cars without actually seeing those cars driving around.

Thanks for that. Learned about this...

:circlefap:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vitamin J posted:

Can anyone identify this quirky looking recreational vehicle? Never seen a streetable submarine before.

VW Sub

VikingSkull posted:

This is partially true, but the class of engines that Mercury live in are designed mainly for offshore, Cigarette-type powerboats, So you get all that anti-pollution, anti-explodey stuff, but with all kinds of wicked internals designed to make that engine live for hours @ WOT.

see also: people cannibalizing Volvo Penta engines to make badass 240s

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 4, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Its poo poo
:goonsay:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sorry you're upset.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

VikingSkull posted:

Speaking of Bertone, their Turin museum closed to little fanfare and all the amazing one of a kind prototypes have probably been auctioned off :sigh:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The front end on that looks half designed when compared with the back. It's like the front was sketched in roughly and your man set to work on the back and while he was finishing that, they took it away to be put together. The rear lights work with the body line and accent the tail nicely whereas the front lights are just kinda whatever. I think that's down to all other Astons having the grille break the bumper line acting as a logical point for the lights to sit.

Proportionally Astons are beautiful cars but the Jet ruins those classic proportions and is thusly a bit shite in comparison to the usual AM design and indeed the Shooting Brake designs of other manufacturers.

hackbunny posted:

Speaking of Bertone, their Turin museum closed to little fanfare and all the amazing one of a kind prototypes have probably been auctioned off :sigh:

Apparently you needed proof of owning a place big enough in Italy to house the collection, as in you had to buy EVERYTHING they had. And you couldn't take them out of Italy because the government saw them as culturally significant... I wonder who has them now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like it. They did a good job showing it off on Leno's youtube show, and I've been hoping they do a production version ever since.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just saw a RHD Kei car - looked like a 3rd gen Suzuki Alto Works - here in Arizona driving down the highway, surprised the poo poo out of me. Pretty awesome.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 4, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Volvo is at it again.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This is amazing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how they're super careful to point out the buildings were vacant and sealed in a video that was clearly staged and carefully choreographed.

Never change, Volvo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Only in te spirit of the Utmost attention to safety.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

I like how they're super careful to point out the buildings were vacant and sealed in a video that was clearly staged and carefully choreographed.

Never change, Volvo.

MY IMMERSION!

It was fun to watch and a well made ad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

xzzy posted:

Never change, Volvo.

:ssh: i'm pretty sure she's not driving the truck, that doesn't make her reactions to what she thinks is real not adorable nor those stunts loving cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think what we're all missing here is that Robyn's version of Cobrastyle is apparently a cover?!
I mean uhh...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-FUF0Sh_E

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

"gonna have to make some vroom vroom noises"

hahahaha

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man more bump steer? Santa is real.

bwwuummmm tiss

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Wait so attaching tie rods straight to the strut is a real thing? I didnt understand that part. They didnt even look like the final struts they will be using? Are they gonna weld thoes brackets to every new strut?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would hope that those struts have removable cartridges, but yeah that seems like a lot of work every time you bend an upright on stage.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just watching that now, so what do you reckon's with the Lancia HF elephant??

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You can easily convert struts which are sealed to those which accept inserts. Standard operating procedure in the FB & FC RX-7 world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

poo poo dont even have to be that fancy. Today at work I drove around a 100k+ escalade ESV that had every warning light on while doing test drives ect... If you wanna turn heads driving, get one and FEEL the hatred radiating from literally everyone. I mean im clearly wearing my mechanic scrubs and still motherfuckers be GLARING with jealous rage.

I'm usually thinking "thank gently caress you're a dickwaving compensator and taking the huge hit on that flashy turd, I can't wait till I get to buy its engine for $300 at the picknpull"

Modus Man posted:

it's decided then, the perfect getaway vehicle for a bank heist would be a trophy truck. Sure, you could hear it 2 miles away but gently caress it, 5-0 wont be able to get that close.

Yep... and like someone said, this is pretty much like desert racing. You'd net 10k from your bank heist and it'd cost you 30k in poo poo to fix on it after the fact, plus the half-million purchase price.

(it can often cost $30k to run a race in one of those and first place purse is only like 10. They do it for fun, not for the money, the money comes from sponsors and personal deep pockets.)

Preoptopus posted:

Rally cars in general. The closest i can think of was this.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cocaine-bust-on-fake-dakar-rally-truck/

While true, rally cars other than trophy trucks generally aren't known for being able to take shortcuts off of 12+ foot tall retaining walls, land nose-down, and just keep rolling like nothing loving happened.

Those trucks have more into a single shock absorber than some of us have into our cars. Not kidding, they spend mid 4 figures on a shock absorber, including spare(s) for a race, probably pushing 5 figures a corner.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Look at that P1

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There is no driver in the P1. She is trying to seduce a car.

Hhhhhhaaaaaaawt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's her car, and she's trying to find her AAA card because it's British and needs a tow.