Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acne Rain posted:

I do wonder if they will put a number on how many regenerations he has at some point.

Moffat originally wrote this season with the plan to leave with the Christmas special so I have a feeling that "Hell Bent" is just going to un-gently caress the Doctor's regeneration limit permanently due to Gallifuckerey or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

which one of you guys was it

fess up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

Who is responsible for this.

Toxxupation posted:

which one of you guys was it

Am I missing something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Am I missing something?

It's like this, J-Ru, Oxx is Toxx and Toxx is Oxx...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

Am I missing something?

sorry, wait, i'll fix this

Oxxidation posted:

I don't want to go.

Toxxupation posted:

Legs...I've still got legs...good. Arms...hands...ooh, fingers. Lots of fingers. Yes. Yes, eyes too, nose...I've had worse. Chin...blimey. Hair. I'm a girl! No! No. I'm not a GIRL. And still not ginger! There's something else, something important, I'm, I'm I'm...crashing! A ha ha ha! GERONIMO!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

sorry, wait, i'll fix this

Motherfucker you did NOT just imply I was Tennant

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Zygons in the thread again

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Oxxidation posted:

Motherfucker you did NOT just imply I was Tennant

you don't want to be the doctor most popular with the ladies?
(well at least that's the impression I get, apparently Matt Smith is not attractive because he doesn't have eyebrows or something)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How many more hours til the new ep drops?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

How many more hours til the new ep drops?

Like... 18? It's only 3am here in God's True Timezone.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

It's like this, J-Ru, Oxx is Toxx and Toxx is Oxx...

Oh right, well I often mixed them up anyway :shobon:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gaz-L posted:

Like... 18? It's only 3am here in God's True Timezone.

shucks. I want it now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm still lost.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Acne Rain posted:

you don't want to be the doctor most popular with the ladies?
(well at least that's the impression I get, apparently Matt Smith is not attractive because he doesn't have eyebrows or something)

They're just delicate.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

On the War Doctor/regenerations stuff, chalk me up as somebody who is glad it turned out exactly the way it did. I think it would have been very powerful to see Eccleston return to the role, and he would have played the hell out of the dark Doctor who "WATCHED IT HAPPEN"...and "MADE IT HAPPEN!!" But what we ended up getting was a whole new, extra Doctor, played by a great actor who is going to be doing a number of stories and expanding on the role. A great 50th Anniversary present!

I agree with Moffat on not making it 8...he was The Idealist, and it was great he went out true to the character he'd always been.

I'm not sure how Moffat would have handled the "Last Doctor" story if we'd had 9 in the 50th. I was always of the opinion that telling that story is something he really, really would have wanted to do. As it was he had to add in the 2nd 10 incarnation to make the numbers work. I'd be interested to know if he had really planned for 11 to go out as the Last and do the regeneration drama then, or if he got saddled with having to do the quick War Doctor fix and said "oh hey wait, if I just double up on 10 I can be the Producer who brings in a new regeneration cycle!"

I remember when we used to debate that topic in these threads, and there were people adamant that the regeneration limit was silly and should be ignored. I always felt that it should be mined for the potential drama, though I'd have thought it could be at least a half season's arc of the Doctor dealing with being the Last. What we got worked good though, thanks in no small part to Smith's terrific performance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IceAgeComing posted:

Colin Baker-wise: I think that Vengeance on Varos is his best story; and one that's incredibly under-rated.

One might even say that is has a sort of classic feel to it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So after marathoning all of the new Doctor Who I'm going back and watching the old episodes, or at least the ones that are recommended.

Started the first episode and noticed that Doctor Who has a granddaughter. What's the episode where you find out what happened to her? Or is it in that 4 part episode?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theblackw0lf posted:

So after marathoning all of the new Doctor Who I'm going back and watching the old episodes, or at least the ones that are recommended.

Started the first episode and noticed that Doctor Who has a granddaughter. What's the episode where you find out what happened to her? Or is it in that 4 part episode?

It's a ways off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Susan will be around for awhile yet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm working through the classic ones too. I'm presently picking through season 3 but I'm actually finding many of these to be not that great.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

edit: Misread the post.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just discovered there is an animated reconstruction of Mission to the Unknown. Interesting.

EDIT: Ah, Ian Levine made it. This explains everything!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 5, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Rhyno posted:

It's a ways off.

Which season? Or which Doctor?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Susan is such an unfortunate waste of a character outside of Marco Polo and sorta kinda a couple of Companion Chronicles. At least her unused potential shows up a little in the more capable Vicki (until her own terrible write off).

theblackw0lf posted:

Season 2's Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

theblackw0lf posted:

Season 2, same Doctor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Box of Bunnies posted:

Susan is such an unfortunate waste of a character outside of Marco Polo and sorta kinda a couple of Companion Chronicles. At least her unused potential shows up a little in the more capable Vicki (until her own terrible write off).

Season 2's Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Oh yeah I liked Vicki but I skipped her writeoff episode because I wasn't in the mood to watch a reconstructed story. When I went back to find out what happened I was like "she fell in love? gently caress off."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Seeds of Doom. This is some disturbing stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

Oh yeah I liked Vicki but I skipped her writeoff episode because I wasn't in the mood to watch a reconstructed story. When I went back to find out what happened I was like "she fell in love? gently caress off."

In the context of Doctor Who, she is literally Cressida (in that Cressida is her), but a redeemed Cressida. She stays behind because she loves Priam's son and wants to help rebuild Troy. In terms of character motivations that's a decent one I thought?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the context of Doctor Who, she is literally Cressida (in that Cressida is her), but a redeemed Cressida. She stays behind because she loves Priam's son and wants to help rebuild Troy. In terms of character motivations that's a decent one I thought?

Maybe? I only reread the summary from wikipedia to find out what happened. I just don't like that the first two female companions left the show because they ~fell in love~ and that was enough to get them to decide to live in a wasteland.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CobiWann posted:

The Seeds of Doom. This is some disturbing stuff.

I watched that one for the first time not too long ago. The first two parts are neat because it feels like Doctor Who does The Thing; but not John Carpenter's The Thing because that's still six years out. And then you've got the rest in that guy's mansion and his goddamn pulverizer and yeesh.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

I watched that one for the first time not too long ago. The first two parts are neat because it feels like Doctor Who does The Thing; but not John Carpenter's The Thing because that's still six years out. And then you've got the rest in that guy's mansion and his goddamn pulverizer and yeesh.

The first two parts also reminded me a bit of The Quatermass Experiment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

Maybe? I only reread the summary from wikipedia to find out what happened. I just don't like that the first two female companions left the show because they ~fell in love~ and that was enough to get them to decide to live in a wasteland.

It's essentially identical to the way Susan left, yes, but unlike Susan it's more supported in the text.

To be honest "Fell in love" or "Tired of all the danger" account for most of the companions, with at a guess "Just written out" coming third (Dodo, Liz for example)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just never really believed that Vicki would be comfortable living in the twelfth century given that she treated Ian and Barbara's then-contemporary times as positively ancient. Maybe she fancied the guy from her exit but that only goes so far and shifting from the 25th century to ancient Troy seems like a bit of a stretch for a guy you've known for one serial. Plus, the whole "poo poo, the female companion is leaving, we need to write in someone for her to fall in love with" that was the deal at the time.

CommonShore posted:

I just don't like that the first two female companions left the show because they ~fell in love~ and that was enough to get them to decide to live in a wasteland.

I'd like to be able to say "eh, it was the sixties, things were still kinda rough then" but it kinda continues through the seventies with Jo and Leela and into the 80s with Peri.

e: for bonus points, while I don't think Mel was romantically linked with Sabalom Glitz, who she left the Doctor to travel with, the gross 90s novels made a point of saying that her replacement companion, Ace, lost her virginity to him. Hooray for disgusting licenced fanfiction~

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 5, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's essentially identical to the way Susan left, yes, but unlike Susan it's more supported in the text.

To be honest "Fell in love" or "Tired of all the danger" account for most of the companions, with at a guess "Just written out" coming third (Dodo, Liz for example)

With Suzan it's even worse because she's an alien, right? (or am I wrong in understanding that she was supposedly a "Time Lord," even though that term hasn't been used yet as of s3e08)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Ah, Ian Levine made it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CommonShore posted:

With Suzan it's even worse because she's an alien, right? (or am I wrong in understanding that she was supposedly a "Time Lord," even though that term hasn't been used yet as of s3e08)

If she was really his granddaughter she must have been a Gallifreyan, yes. Maybe not a Time Lord though, since there has been some indication that not all Gallifreyans get to be Time Lords, and she was still school age at the time they left. How that leaves her with regard to regenerations and whatnot is anybody's guess. But she probably had two hearts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Poor spudgun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

Poor spudgun.

How dare you. Don't insult Ian Levine. Don't you know his opinion on Doctor Who is far more important than anyone elses?!?!?!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

How dare you. Don't insult Ian Levine. Don't you know his opinion on Doctor Who is far more important than anyone elses?!?!?!

Steven O'Donnel deserved better than Ian Levine's fanfic. I'd sooner watch The Twin Dilemma on a loop than anything that Levine farted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MrL_JaKiri posted:

IIRC the incoming producer at the time didn't like Maureen O'Brien, so he had the writers get rid of her with not much time to spare.

• Locked thread