Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ddogflex posted:

You can search by artist in Spotify too? It's always showed a list of albums for me... That's mainly how I used it for the 6 months or so I had it. Maybe it's changed in the last 4 months I haven't been using it? That would be extremely odd though. Either way, no reason to talk you into using something you don't like.

Stupid question that you may have already addressed; are you using paid or free Spotify? Only the desktop app allows full albums, with ads, on free.

Right, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't really like having to search for an artist to get a simple list of albums. Honestly, it's a bit weird that the way an artist shows up if you search for them is different than if you look at them in your library. If I'm browsing my library, artists on desktop show up as a list of songs not broken up by album, and still as a giant list of songs on mobile but at least sorted by album with headers. I just prefer a system that gives me a discreet artist > album > tracks way to browse.
And yeah, I've used their paid service before. I just assume their library management being different than things like Rdio, GPM, iTunes/Apple Music, etc. is a part of them a) emphasizing radio and playlists, and b) not actually having any library management until well after the service launched.

Edit: I'm guessing I'm in a huge minority now of wanting old-rear end library management stuff, but I still don't know if it's a weird thing for people to almost exclusively listen to albums rather than radio or playlists or anything. I'm guessing it is. I'll also stop this weird derail now.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

sleepwalkers posted:

Right, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't really like having to search for an artist to get a simple list of albums. Honestly, it's a bit weird that the way an artist shows up if you search for them is different than if you look at them in your library. If I'm browsing my library, artists on desktop show up as a list of songs not broken up by album, and still as a giant list of songs on mobile but at least sorted by album with headers. I just prefer a system that gives me a discreet artist > album > tracks way to browse.
And yeah, I've used their paid service before. I just assume their library management being different than things like Rdio, GPM, iTunes/Apple Music, etc. is a part of them a) emphasizing radio and playlists, and b) not actually having any library management until well after the service launched.

Edit: I'm guessing I'm in a huge minority now of wanting old-rear end library management stuff, but I still don't know if it's a weird thing for people to almost exclusively listen to albums rather than radio or playlists or anything. I'm guessing it is. I'll also stop this weird derail now.

Honestly. I'm failing to understanding what's so difficult about this. My dad is 65 and can barely send an email, but he can Spotify the gently caress out of an album.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What kind of music do you listen to that you felt was weird enough to have to blur it out? :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frank Zappa for one, but that didn't get blurred out for some reason.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Only bad part about Spotify is you can only listen to stuff in shuffle when you're on free mode :( Google Music is nice but when you don't own all the songs you want to listen to, Spotify kind of wins but still loses there too due to limited skipping of songs.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Spotify's "Your Music" functions exactly like a library. I really don't know what you could be looking for otherwise. Just add an album to Your Music, and it will show up under the Artists, Albums, and Songs tabs. I exclusively listen to albums and I also like using Spotify as a library and I've never had a single issue doing so.

Here are some screenshots that might help.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 2, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I never use Spotify's library functionality, I just stick to playlists* and I never had problems finding an album either.

*90% of the time I'm listening to stuff I haven't heard before

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Irritated Goat posted:

Only bad part about Spotify is you can only listen to stuff in shuffle when you're on free mode :( Google Music is nice but when you don't own all the songs you want to listen to, Spotify kind of wins but still loses there too due to limited skipping of songs.

There is a big green shuffle play button at the top of like every list of songs throughout the app?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

eightysixed posted:

What kind of music do you listen to that you felt was weird enough to have to blur it out? :stare:

Mostly Tuvan throat singing, tbh.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

vikingstrike posted:

There is a big green shuffle play button at the top of like every list of songs throughout the app?

I'm saying, if you want to listen to an album and you aren't paying, it's shuffle only. Playlists are the same too. You also only get a limited number of skips of a song per x amount of time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see how that's a deal breaker, I mean the traditional method of listening to music for free didn't even let you select the artist. If you didn't like what you're hearing your only option was to turn the dial to a new station.

If you want control, you gotta lay down some money.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You don't really get anything free with apple or google

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't really get anything free with apple or google

Well if you already own some music you can sync it for free with Google Music, but yes there is no (legal) free way to listen to music you don't own on your phone that isn't at least somewhat shuffled.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

xzzy posted:

I don't see how that's a deal breaker, I mean the traditional method of listening to music for free didn't even let you select the artist. If you didn't like what you're hearing your only option was to turn the dial to a new station.

If you want control, you gotta lay down some money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's horrible and Spotify shouldn't be used. Sometimes, I want to check out an album but don't want it shuffled or just want to skip more than 4 or 5 songs because I'm not in the mood for them.

I'm fine with paying but currently can't due to other RL stuff that comes first.

While I'm complaining though, gently caress whoever decided it was OK to have a censored version of an album as the only choice. :argh:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Question for Feedly users: A recent update for some reason turned off the in-app browser, and if you click through after article previews it now opens the link in Safari or Chrome. Is there any way to get the in-app browser back?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

petewhitley posted:

Question for Feedly users: A recent update for some reason turned off the in-app browser, and if you click through after article previews it now opens the link in Safari or Chrome. Is there any way to get the in-app browser back?

In the left hamburger menu scroll down to settings and select your favourite browser.

I'm not sure what the issue is because mine opens both inline and the visit website links in the safari in-app browser. Unless that's what you mean, in which case, why would you want to go back to the lovely old in app browser?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tuyop posted:

In the left hamburger menu scroll down to settings and select your favourite browser.

I'm not sure what the issue is because mine opens both inline and the visit website links in the safari in-app browser. Unless that's what you mean, in which case, why would you want to go back to the lovely old in app browser?

Yeah, actually that is what I mean. There's a definite reason but I'll save you the complicated explanation. Not sure why the in-app browser is gone however.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xabi posted:

I'm using both Crystal and Purify but they're letting a lot of stuff go through their "filter", unlike proper browser ad blocks. What gives? Am I the only one?

I believe both of those apps "sold out" to Eyeo (owners of Adblock plus FF extension et al), and by default will whitelist various ads which that company thinks are acceptable.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

wooger posted:

I believe both of those apps "sold out" to Eyeo (owners of Adblock plus FF extension et al), and by default will whitelist various ads which that company thinks are acceptable.

Crystal did. I don't think Purify did, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Eyeo tried to buy Purify and the result was a weird piece of drama. Whatever that was, I don't think they're doing acceptable ads.

(Just use 1blocker)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

petewhitley posted:

Yeah, actually that is what I mean. There's a definite reason but I'll save you the complicated explanation. Not sure why the in-app browser is gone however.

If I was a dev, I'd be pretty interested in outsourcing features to the OS because then they're Apple's problem. I imagine maintaining an in-app browser is annoying as hell with all the constant security updates and whatnot, so you'd want to wash your hands of that as soon as you can.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
In-app browsers that use Safari view controller also automatically use content blockers and the same pool of cookied logins, which is very convenient for the user.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm having a strange issue. I noticed that my App Store badge has been at 1 for weeks now, and that Lara Croft Go was sitting in there still, un-updated. I tapped update, but it just flashed and the Update button reappeared. I tried restarting the iPad, and deleting the app. But now it won't let me download it again. I've even tried signing out/in to the App Store. Any ideas?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

canyonero posted:

I'm having a strange issue. I noticed that my App Store badge has been at 1 for weeks now, and that Lara Croft Go was sitting in there still, un-updated. I tapped update, but it just flashed and the Update button reappeared. I tried restarting the iPad, and deleting the app. But now it won't let me download it again. I've even tried signing out/in to the App Store. Any ideas?

Wait for the next iOS update that will hopefully fix the minor broken issue of "Downloading and storing apps." For fucks sake, Apple, between this and the Mac App Store.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Dropbox is shutting down Mailbox and Carousel: https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2015/12/saying-goodbye-to-carousel-and-mailbox/

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Saw it coming and it makes sense but it's still lovely. I really like Dropbox as a service, but have real fears they have no idea what they're doing outside of their primary product, which is quickly being obsoleted by lower and lower storage prices offered by companies like Google, Microsoft, & Amazon.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

Saw it coming and it makes sense but it's still lovely. I really like Dropbox as a service, but have real fears they have no idea what they're doing outside of their primary product, which is quickly being obsoleted by lower and lower storage prices offered by companies like Google, Microsoft, & Amazon.

I have a lot of friends in Austin who work for Dropbox and they couldn't tell you either. They're losing SMB clients left and right because people are quickly realizing how cheap and easy AWS is.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Should I be considering Amazon for my personal storage? I've never looked in to it and currently use Dropbox.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I actually really prefer OneDrive for :yaycloud: storage now, especially since I get office 365 with the 1TB pack.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I dunno, I'm pretty vested in dropbox and prefer it to the alternatives :shrug:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Should I be considering Amazon for my personal storage? I've never looked in to it and currently use Dropbox.

Slowhanded was talking about Dropbox's business product, and how it was losing clients to Amazon Web Services, which is a different kind of thing from what you're looking for. The more comparable thing is Amazon Cloud Drive, which is really just one of many cloud services that work like Dropbox out there.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rubiks Pubes posted:

If you're just using it as a cloud storage for photos and documents and whatnot, there's no real reason to use AWS unless you need a large amount of storage. In most cases the free solutions like Dropbox and OneDrive are more than enough and are far more friendly to users who aren't tech savvy or comfortable with CLI. A person coming from a consumer-friendly service like Dropbox expecting the same amount of hand-holding would be sorely disappointed with AWS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if OneDrive is good enough to trigger a shift away from Dropbox, but I can say OneDrive is really well done and works super smooth. Apple should take notes.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Honestly, Dropbox is still the smoothest and, in my opinion, best experience, but being slightly better in a crowded field doesn't matter. Onedrive, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Storage, etc. are all good enough that there's really nothing beyond (maybe?) app integration and ubiquity (because Dropbox was first, it's everywhere) separating them. Soon, the big players will drop prices below what Dropbox can possibly find sustainable -- are they still buying space from AWS? -- and Dropbox will start either bleeding money to stay competitive price-wise or bleeding users because they'll be unable to keep up.

Avoid iCloud though, it's honestly terrible and I have no idea how Apple can gently caress up what everyone else did and copy Dropbox as badly as it seemingly has.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Amazon Cloud Drive is $60/year for unlimited (or presumably :airquote: unlimited) while Dropbox is what, $10/month for 1TB?

I switched most of my usage to Box a while back cause their free 50GB promo, and got Amazon last week during their $5 unlimited promo...but haven't used that one yet so I'm not sure how their apps are. Mostly just been interested in it for backing up my computer using Arq.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

xzzy posted:

I don't know if OneDrive is good enough to trigger a shift away from Dropbox, but I can say OneDrive is really well done and works super smooth. Apple should take notes.

Don't forget that OneDrive also just recently announced it was forcing all free users back down to 5gb and removing the unlimited tier because a few people abused it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think the biggest thing keeping me on Dropbox is the application support from stuff like 1password and Hero Lab. Not that I want to leave Dropbox or anything, it's just that I couldn't even if I wanted to.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

I think the biggest thing keeping me on Dropbox is the application support from stuff like 1password and Hero Lab. Not that I want to leave Dropbox or anything, it's just that I couldn't even if I wanted to.

I don't know how Hero Lab works, but 1password easily fits on the Dropbox free tier.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't know how Hero Lab works, but 1password easily fits on the Dropbox free tier.

Or if you like to live dangerously 1password also does syncing through icloud drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if this is just a prelude of worse happening with Dropbox.. What are the chances they just fold completely in a year or so?

Bummed about losing Carousel, it's a nice app and I use it a lot to back up photos. I also back up to google drive and live365 too though so not too worried (yet).