Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Hey. I have a bit of an emergency here. Tinycat is having dyspnea due to cat flu again. It's 9 PM here now, the vet won't be open until tomorrow 8 AM. What do I do?

Edit: he's both having trouble breathing and has tachycardia. :(
Edit 2: ok, he's dead.

meristem fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah Odin my superfluffybutt cat sometimes leaves full-size danglers outside the box a couple times a year. He also will every once in a while realize he has a dangler and buttscooch it off, leaving this horrible pooptrail that can sometimes stretch up to 3 feet in length. He's a real jerk.

Trimming his buttfur helps, but that's also one of the only things I can do to him that pisses him off so much he hisses at me. Last time I tried to clean off his butt he swatted me in the face hard enough to draw blood, so now I just stock up on heavy-duty carpet cleaner. :sigh:

Trim claws, THEN bumfur.

I cant comprehend why people let their cats claws grow out to the pointy death razor stage- Im religiously clipping my cats claws now and its been a god send to my hands, my furniture, my bedding. You can tussle with them and they can grab you without blood loss- its awesome!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

meristem posted:

Hey. I have a bit of an emergency here. Tinycat is having dyspnea due to cat flu again. It's 9 PM here now, the vet won't be open until tomorrow 8 AM. What do I do?

Holy poo poo, I'm sorry. :(

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. Thanks for all you did for him. Tinycat was the best, and you're the best for saving him.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

drat. Sorry so hear about your kitty :(

In poo news: this morning, Wolfgang left two separate turds out on my floor. I'm philosophical about it at this point. At least they're dry, discrete, and he points out where they are by scratching at the floor trying to bury them.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

meristem posted:

omg...I am so sorry :( Tinycat was the best!! You did a great job keeping up and going like you did....I know it does not help much but you still did good for him. He loved you and you him, and it was all any baby catte could ask for.

Now I am off to cry for a kitty I never met except through the forums.... :( (((hugs))).

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Tinycat :(
I'm so sorry. You did good by him and he had a happy life with you with adventures in trees, playtime and love.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Ferremit posted:

Trim claws, THEN bumfur.

I cant comprehend why people let their cats claws grow out to the pointy death razor stage- Im religiously clipping my cats claws now and its been a god send to my hands, my furniture, my bedding. You can tussle with them and they can grab you without blood loss- its awesome!

I always keep claws trimmed on all our cats, he's just a big strong monster that even with his claws trimmed he can do serious damage (hence why his claws are always trimmed, if I let them get pointy there'd be hell to pay). He's fine with me trimming the claws, I can even flip him onto his back and hold him down and he suffers the indignity of it all. His butt is just his no-zone I guess.

Also, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss meristem. Having recently lost one of my own I know just how heartbreaking it is.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sorry about tinycat :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

meristem posted:

Sorry to hear that :(

I mean this with all sincerity - at least you didn't step on him

edit: You're a good person for taking in the tiny guy and making sure his short life was lived in comfort.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 5, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I'm a horrible person for not being a part of the 1% and so able to force a vet to come to my house after hours. Or something. I feel so ineffective.

The strange part is, I don't really feel sad. I don't feel anything - numbness, at best. Instead, I can't sleep and my whole body is wound tight from stress. All the little pains and aches and stresses. I have no idea how to deal with this, now. It's like, I want to move on and do something, because at tge end of all things it was just a cat, but I'm too loving tired to, and I can't sleep, either. I was already depressed before this happened, but now, I have no idea. Ineffective again.

Oh well. Cat thread, proceed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

meristem posted:

I'm a horrible person for not being a part of the 1% and so able to force a vet to come to my house after hours. Or something. I feel so ineffective.

The strange part is, I don't really feel sad. I don't feel anything - numbness, at best. Instead, I can't sleep and my whole body is wound tight from stress. All the little pains and aches and stresses. I have no idea how to deal with this, now. It's like, I want to move on and do something, because at tge end of all things it was just a cat, but I'm too loving tired to, and I can't sleep, either. I was already depressed before this happened, but now, I have no idea. Ineffective again.

Oh well. Cat thread, proceed.

There's a good chance Tinycat had a genetic defect that made him susceptible to respiratory infections and other health issues. You're not a magician or a god. You did what you could. You gave him as much happy life as you or anyone else was able.

I know it feels like you failed, but you gave him life when he had no other chance. Be glad for what you did rather than beating up on yourself for what you couldn't. Thank you for sharing Tinycat with us.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Deteriorata posted:

There's a good chance Tinycat had a genetic defect that made him susceptible to respiratory infections and other health issues. You're not a magician or a god. You did what you could. You gave him as much happy life as you or anyone else was able.

I know it feels like you failed, but you gave him life when he had no other chance. Be glad for what you did rather than beating up on yourself for what you couldn't. Thank you for sharing Tinycat with us.

Seconding this. It sounds like the deck was stacked against Tinycat from the beginning and that there was nothing to be done except to give him a good life, which you did. You got him through some very rough times and let him live long enough to explore, play, and be loved, and that matters.

Imagine Party Babyz
Apr 5, 2004

Ron and Fez Show, Peez Howd.

My wife and I just got this sweet guy from my aunt. He was a feral that would come into their garage. Guessing he's 8-10 months old & going to the vet ASAP. He almost act like a dog, following me everywhere. Our other cat is coming to terms with the fact that she has a male in the apartment. She went from hissing and growling whenever he was in sight to being within feet of each other, but i am so not used to a kittens energy,. When we got our girl spayed she became a lazy rear end cat, hoping his energy level goes down a wee bit..

Here's a pic of our 1st ignoring the perch and loving a broke rear end laundry basket..

And for being a "feral" he hasn't taken his claws out once.. he's so gentle & calm..

Imagine Party Babyz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry about Tinycat. You did right by him.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

meristem posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. I just had to put down one of my rats. It's really hard to lose an animal.

Porchcat now lives in my garage, because he does not like indoors. He meows at doors all night if you leave him inside, and he's content to just sleep in the garage. Aside from the suspected abuse when we finally took him in, I think he was getting pushed around by my neighbors other cat, who likes to approach us and swat at our legs. I feel sorry for Porchcat; at least he's happy living here now. :smith:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Seconding this. It sounds like the deck was stacked against Tinycat from the beginning and that there was nothing to be done except to give him a good life, which you did. You got him through some very rough times and let him live long enough to explore, play, and be loved, and that matters.

Thirded. Without you, Tinycat wouldn't have had a chance. With you, he had a life. Tinycat, and everything you did for him will live long in this thread's memory.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
So yesterday I discovered non recognition aggression. I have two cats, Jones and Ripley, who are 5 months old, siblings and have never been apart for more than about ten minutes. I took Jones in to the vet to get neutered, he was out of the house for about six hours. I took him back and let him out of the carrier and he went over to play with his sister, who started growling and hissing whenever he came near. I had to look up what was going on, and put them in separate rooms for an hour, while I went in from one to the other and played with them, rubbed them each with the same towel to get their smell back and forth. Let them eye each other through a crack in the door, and then let them back into the same room.

We're going to get Ripley fixed in the new year, but girls take longer to recover, any idea how to mitigate this so that Jones, who will be larger and stronger, doesn't pick on her? I'm tempted to see if the vet will take them both in for the day when she gets the operation.

They're fine now:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It's just a reaction they have to the change in smell of the cat who went to the vet. What you did with the rubbing of towels back and forth was the right thing, really they just need to re-establish "in-group smell" again and the hissing will stop.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks everyone who tried to cheer me up. I'll try to work through the five stages.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm guessing Jones is the ginger one? He doesn't look too thrilled at being used as a butt cushion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

McDragon posted:

I'm guessing Jones is the ginger one?

Not a fan of the Alien franchise, I guess.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Today I learned that a cat determined to sit on you doesn't give a gently caress if your lap happens to occupied, either by another cat or a laptop. :3:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Ok, I scanned and searched the giant OP but couldn't find an answer to this small question: does it matter what room the litter box is in? I have a 3yr old female indoor cat. She doesn't have any problems using it - I am just not sure where in the apartment it should go.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Put it on the dining table

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just stick it where you and the cat dont mind. If you've got a huge place, consider having more than one and spacing them around. I just stick mine in the bathroom. That way me and the cat can watch each other poopin while we poop.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Ok, I scanned and searched the giant OP but couldn't find an answer to this small question: does it matter what room the litter box is in? I have a 3yr old female indoor cat. She doesn't have any problems using it - I am just not sure where in the apartment it should go.

Just put it somewhere relatively out of the way but still accessible whenever she needs it. My two have a box in the bathroom(door is almost always open, quiet room at end of the house, they seem to enjoy accompanying humans to the toilet...) and in the store room(door always open, nobody goes in there except to fetch/store things).

I used to think the cats' insistence on following people to the bathroom was weird but apparently it's standard cat behaviour. I lock them out when I shower and they sit at the door, meowing indignantly until I come out.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

floofyscorp posted:

My two have a box in the bathroom(door is almost always open, quiet room at end of the house, they seem to enjoy accompanying humans to the toilet...)

SynthOrange posted:

I just stick mine in the bathroom. That way me and the cat can watch each other poopin while we poop.

Yeah, I've heard about a few people sticking it in the bathroom. My brother's currently put ours in the kitchen and I've always wondered if that's a problem. Might move it.

Fake edit: she's fascinated by people going into the bathroom and closing the door - she always sits outside it and meows.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Drythe posted:

Put it on the dining table

:agreed:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Joke's on you if you believe I have a dining table. Or a dining room.

:smith:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Don't feel bad. My box fits nowhere in this lovely apartment except my bedroom. :v: Love waking up to the sound of my stupid cat burying poop scratching the wall

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CompactFanny posted:

Don't feel bad. My box fits nowhere in this lovely apartment except my bedroom. :v: Love waking up to the sound of my stupid cat burying poop scratching the wall

same, I wish I could get a litterbox big enough to prevent that outside scratching, but then she's probably just poop in the corner and still scratch at the wall.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I feed my cat beef jerky as treats. Is this fine?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tenzarin posted:

Are they grass-fed, non-GMO?

Does the cat now take walks on the wild side?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

I'd be worried about too much salt, depending on the jerky. Its probably okay but I wouldn't make it regular treat.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nexus6 posted:

Somewhere mess isn't an issue, or at least less of one, for stray particles of kitty litter. Mine's in my bathroom/laundry. I use flushable litter, so it's convenient to be able to pull it next to the toilet, rake out the offending lumps and flush them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dienes posted:

I'd be worried about too much salt, depending on the jerky. Its probably okay but I wouldn't make it regular treat.

Have you ever eaten one of those cat treats? they are loving loaded up on salt.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I think it's fine to give them small amounts of jerky.

Tenzarin posted:

No you weirdo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I think it's fine to give them small amounts of jerky.

No you weirdo

Hey it was by accident, its not like "hey cat treats".

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

No, I can't say that I have.

I give mine the freeze dried meat ones without extra salt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Hey it was by accident, its not like "hey cat treats".

Please explain how you accidentally ate cat treats