Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm coming back to crawl after a loooong time not playing it. I last ascended in .8. I'm looking for some advice.

I'm sitting at XL17 as a Minotaur Berserker. I've cleared out Orc and Lair, have gone to about DL20. I'm working on Snake, the world also has Shoals.

I've got some solid mutations as well as a pretty bad one (not the screaming, that doesn't matter for this guy): horns 3, blink, clever 1, fire resistance 2, screaming 1, shaggy fur 1, electricity resistance, spit poison 1, teleportitis 1.

Current inventory:

quote:

Hand Weapons
S - the +9 demon blade of Exi Efun (weapon) {freeze, rElec rPois rC+}
l - a +4 double sword of venom
p - a +7 triple crossbow of evasion
C - a +2 antimagic triple sword
N - a +5 falchion of holy wrath
Armour
b - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
O - the +2 shield of Resistance (worn) {rF+ rC+ MR+}
P - the +5 plate armour "Byil" (worn) {rF+ Str+4}
X - a +1 cloak of cold resistance (worn)
Y - the +2 pair of fencer's gloves (worn) {LBl+4 SBl+4 EV+3 Dex+6}
V - the +3 leather armour of Music {rElec rPois MR- Dex+6}
Jewellery
g - an amulet of clarity (around neck)
j - a +5 ring of protection (left hand)
R - the ring of the Scavenger (right hand) {rPois Dex+4}
T - an uncursed amulet of warding

My plan is to take this guy to the endgame, so I'll be looking to dump Trog at some point probably.

The skills I've got right now:
Fighting 18
Long Blades 20 (includes the +4 from the gloves... I trained to 16 to get the min delay on a double sword and then switched away)
Armor 17
Dodging 13
Shields 15

I've tried to min/max the skills a bit for a melee heavy sword and board guy, but I'm not sure where I should start dumping my skill points. I'm also not sure what god I should flip to. It looks like there are some new options.

So my questions are:

1) What are fun / good gods to do endgame with post-Trog? Skill distro is 29/6/24 so magic is out of the question probably. Minotaurs have decent invocation aptitude, so I was thinking maybe that Storm god.
2) What should I focus my skills on next? Where are the diminishing returns most prominent & what are the key levels where I get the most benefit from a skill (like min delay or removal of shield penalties).
3) What weapon is better? That Demon Blade looks pretty absurd, but if I managed to enchant the hell out of the double sword and get a better brand on it (is that possible?), would it eventually surpass the DB?
4) What's Trog's wrath like these days? I gather that you can't just sit in a tunnel with a stack of food and wait it out like I used to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

megane posted:

Oh, there is one Snake change I forgot: there's a new Snake end vault (which I had the misfortune to get on that felid, and imagine you probably got too) which has seven fricking guardian serpents in it. Horrifying.

This one? :v:

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, if you aren't a DD you'll want to quick charge other things more often since you aren't going to be reliant on the heal wounds HP to recover from damage taken.

Anyways, won the DDFi of Pakellas, by the end I had stopped caring about what enemies could do since in between a vampiric eveningstar and a heal wounds wand backed up with all the recharge ever I basically couldn't die.

Device surging a spider sack at 27 Evo is absolutely disgusting; I burnt through one of those on Zot:$ and it ate multiple orbs of fire, a curse toe, and a few ancient liches. Turns out orbs of fire aren't that dangerous when surrounded, drained of magic, and confused.

Is this really a matter of Pakellas itself being overpowered? Or is it just that Deep Dwarves were overpowered to begin with?

:stonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Greater nagas don't look right without their crazy hair. Do naga warriors have a new sprite? They always looked really lame for how dangerous they can potentially be.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

So my questions are:

1) What are fun / good gods to do endgame with post-Trog? Skill distro is 29/6/24 so magic is out of the question probably. Minotaurs have decent invocation aptitude, so I was thinking maybe that Storm god.
2) What should I focus my skills on next? Where are the diminishing returns most prominent & what are the key levels where I get the most benefit from a skill (like min delay or removal of shield penalties).
3) What weapon is better? That Demon Blade looks pretty absurd, but if I managed to enchant the hell out of the double sword and get a better brand on it (is that possible?), would it eventually surpass the DB?
4) What's Trog's wrath like these days? I gather that you can't just sit in a tunnel with a stack of food and wait it out like I used to do.

Skilling is fine. Consider wearing stasis on Zot 5 with that teleportitis mutation... cuz that will kill you dead. Playing endgame with Trog is perfectly fine, even extended is playable with Trog, though you need to have a really good way to handle line of sight and threats like Torment / Hellfire from range. I highly recommend -not- abandoning Trog. Unless suddenly having a bunch of berserk stone giants, deep trolls and Iron trolls show up for an impromptu pow-wow sounds is no sweat to you, you should stay loyal.

Freezing is the ideal brand you can get normally for most of Zot, ancient Liches / curse toes being the exception. (Holy Wrath is good but situational, Antimagic is debatable, Speed is amazing but artefact only, none of them can be applied by brand weapon) That demon blade is beautiful and demon blades are actually faster than double swords and not much weaker. You're totally fine keeping with it.

Shield of Resistance, Fencer's Gloves are ideal, your kit is fantastic. Grab Fire Dragon Armour probably and you'll be golden, boots of running and a ring to replace scavenger would be ideal bonuses.

Shield of Resistance is a medium shield and is free from penalty at 15 for Minotaurs. Other than that, basically keep pumping more fightmans and defenses, you're at minimum requirements for everything current. Beyond that, skilling is your decision. A ranged attack is probably the next thing if you feel like you're already more swole than you need. Throwing works best with shields, so javelins probably. That or some evocations and grab Lamp of Fire / Phial of Floods / Fan of Gales.

Triple Crossbows are disgustingly strong, but its a huge skill investment and you can't wear your shield with it, and shields take too long to use in combat, so you'd either be forced to use no shield when in switching from crossbow to the demon blade or get a triple sword running as well.

If you really want to go extended though, I can't think of much more terrifying to Pandemonium Lords than a Minotaur with an antimagic triple sword and a Holy Wrath triple crossbow (with penetration bolts even).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Meet Doom Hounds, a Tartarus enemy that howls to create more doom hounds just outside of LoS. Hope you can make the MR check, or you'll be buried in infinite dogs!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Should have called them Night Mares instead.

(yeah yeah, we don't have a line of horse creatures beyond the 'taurs so it wouldn't be cohesive with the tileset...but the pun)

Are you revamping the Hells with more uniqueness, PleasingFungus?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

Meet Doom Hounds, a Tartarus enemy that howls to create more doom hounds just outside of LoS. Hope you can make the MR check, or you'll be buried in infinite dogs!

Nooooooo, not spirit wolves again :gonk:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

FR: Smaller doom hounds that have a silence aura around them called Hush Puppies

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dee Ehm posted:

Skilling is fine. Consider wearing stasis on Zot 5 with that teleportitis mutation... cuz that will kill you dead. Playing endgame with Trog is perfectly fine, even extended is playable with Trog, though you need to have a really good way to handle line of sight and threats like Torment / Hellfire from range. I highly recommend -not- abandoning Trog. Unless suddenly having a bunch of berserk stone giants, deep trolls and Iron trolls show up for an impromptu pow-wow sounds is no sweat to you, you should stay loyal.

Freezing is the ideal brand you can get normally for most of Zot, ancient Liches / curse toes being the exception. (Holy Wrath is good but situational, Antimagic is debatable, Speed is amazing but artefact only, none of them can be applied by brand weapon) That demon blade is beautiful and demon blades are actually faster than double swords and not much weaker. You're totally fine keeping with it.

Shield of Resistance, Fencer's Gloves are ideal, your kit is fantastic. Grab Fire Dragon Armour probably and you'll be golden, boots of running and a ring to replace scavenger would be ideal bonuses.

Shield of Resistance is a medium shield and is free from penalty at 15 for Minotaurs. Other than that, basically keep pumping more fightmans and defenses, you're at minimum requirements for everything current. Beyond that, skilling is your decision. A ranged attack is probably the next thing if you feel like you're already more swole than you need. Throwing works best with shields, so javelins probably. That or some evocations and grab Lamp of Fire / Phial of Floods / Fan of Gales.

Triple Crossbows are disgustingly strong, but its a huge skill investment and you can't wear your shield with it, and shields take too long to use in combat, so you'd either be forced to use no shield when in switching from crossbow to the demon blade or get a triple sword running as well.

If you really want to go extended though, I can't think of much more terrifying to Pandemonium Lords than a Minotaur with an antimagic triple sword and a Holy Wrath triple crossbow (with penetration bolts even).

Thanks for the advice! Gonna skip the crossbow just because of the heavy shield investment / the cbow investment that would be required to hit min delay on a triple crossbow.

Alright so I've played some more, and I think I'm definitely set. I've played some monstrously good melee in the past, but this guy is something else. I tabbed through Elf 4, Vaults 5, and basically all of the depths. I've got a +12 GDA and am sitting on 61AC, 27EV and 22SH. I'm lacking in RN (though I have an amulet with rn++ and -tele that I can switch to if need be) and the only thing that really hurts me now is torment. Looks like I can't solve that with a god choice though.

Just switched to Qazlal. Byebye Trog. Bring on the monsters.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I really want to get heavy shield Qaz user off the ground. It just looks like so much fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fhqwhgads posted:

I really want to get heavy shield Qaz user off the ground. It just looks like so much fun.

It's hilarious. I'm gonna try to get a Centaur of Qazlal rolling for cloud kiting and javelin spam; that sounds downright unfair against some enemies.

e: I might even use a demon trident for maximum "don't touch me" tactical dickery

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
qazlal is really fun, pakellas is also extremely fun to play

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trog's wrath is funny at this point. Poor Trog. He gave me the tools to succeed and now he gets to watch as I dismantle his minions.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

DDFi of Palkallas is unfair until you get the wands cost MP mutation, at which point you die

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pakellas owns, glad he made it in finally. Now that he doesn't forbid magic anymore, i suppose he would be very interesting for all sorts of hybrids too. Nuke some badguys, kill some chaff to get magic back, repeat?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Humans Among Us posted:

Pakellas owns, glad he made it in finally. Now that he doesn't forbid magic anymore, i suppose he would be very interesting for all sorts of hybrids too. Nuke some badguys, kill some chaff to get magic back, repeat?

He gives less MP than Vehumet and his abilities that cost MP scale with how much you have, so I can't imagine you'd have a ton of spells available if you use Quick Charge a lot except in/immediately after very large fights.

Out of sheer interest, what happens if a VS worships Pakellas, does anyone know? Do they get their antimagic bite but no MP from it? Spirit Shield sounds particularly dangerous under Pak.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Humans Among Us posted:

I don't think there's a huge reason to cast attack spells when Pakellas is going to gift you a bunch of powerful rods. I've been steamrolling the regular game content with just clouds, iron, and ignition plus some basic utility spells. Device surge is pretty strong, although I guess we'll see how well it holds up in extended...

Also, the Abyss really blows without access to rMut.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I made a quarterstaff TeGl with the intention of going Pakellas and either switching to polearms or using an evo staff in conjunction with evocables. Naturally I found the Staff of Wucad Mu. So I inscribed it with !v and now I'm going around beating everything to death with it :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Floodkiller posted:

Nooooooo, not spirit wolves again :gonk:

Speaking of infuriating monsters... we have caustic and ice shrikes, but no time/space variety? Because a blinking turbo-death-chainsaw with torpor effect would make for some tactical variety nightmares.

Terrible idea? You're welcome.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

silentsnack posted:

Speaking of infuriating monsters... we have caustic and ice shrikes, but no time/space variety? Because a blinking turbo-death-chainsaw with torpor effect would make for some tactical variety nightmares.

It also saps your hunger by turbocharging your metabolism. hth.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

silentsnack posted:

So basically a Torpor Executioner? That would be horrendously bullshit to encounter randomly, but if you wanted to make Pan less tedious and more loving terrifying, you could replace the demonic rune with a fifth fixed rune found in the realm of Unpronounceable Jumble the Pandemonium Lord, who has no offensive magic at all but flies, is fast, casts haste, causes torpor, and is basically just a screaming unholy melee superbastard and a good reason to blow that giant pile of consumables you've been hoarding. Then just make the fixed levels a lot more likely to show up so that going to Pan almost never requires doing more than maybe ten "floors" of it before you have all the runes (or are hideously murdered by one of its lords).

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Did the IRC chat die or something?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stoat posted:

FR: Smaller doom hounds that have a silence aura around them called Hush Puppies

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Made a DDFi and went, I'll go Axes! Then realized that I should have gone maces for the +7 rod I got from god. :D

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How to make Pan suck less; get rid of the randomness in floors showing up. Instead, every 3 pan lords you kill causes the next floor you enter to be a rune one. That way you have a reason to clear pan levels rather than just dive through the nearest exit over and over again. Or something like that.

Also get rid of all those dumb chaff monsters seriously why is Cerebov's realm full of Ynoxinuls???

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

How to make Pan suck less; get rid of the randomness in floors showing up. Instead, every 3 pan lords you kill causes the next floor you enter to be a rune one. That way you have a reason to clear pan levels rather than just dive through the nearest exit over and over again. Or something like that.

Also get rid of all those dumb chaff monsters seriously why is Cerebov's realm full of Ynoxinuls???

ufetubus are terrifying and a major threat

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: Ufetubi tiles should be replaced by some kind of cute demonic puppy tile

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Shinino Kage posted:

Made a DDFi and went, I'll go Axes! Then realized that I should have gone maces for the +7 rod I got from god. :D

Why the hell would you use a rod to hit enemies with?

apple posted:

FR: Ufetubi tiles should be replaced by some kind of cute demonic puppy tile

The existing "fat demon pigeon with no wings" look is already good.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Why the hell would you use a rod to hit enemies with?

I didn't. I did have to pass up a +13 sword artefact in the Bailey because I'm using axes tho. :P

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

ZeeToo posted:

The existing "fat demon pigeon with no wings" look is already good.

Ok, HD remaster of fat demon pigeon with no wings

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FR: Replace all demons with dogs, implement Petting god.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ZeeToo posted:

There's no MR check. Embrace infinity dog.

Sage Grimm posted:

Are you revamping the Hells with more uniqueness, PleasingFungus?

It's a long-term goal. Tartarus is usually called out as the most boring/easy hell, and I've always felt that spirit wolves were a fundamentally good idea with all of the wrong numbers*, so it seemed like a reasonable combination of birds and stone.

*Their stats were far too low to be real threats at their depth, but their howl encouraged you to sit in one place until it ran out, and it lasted for 45-80 turns each time it was applied. The core idea of doom hounds is to have a dramatically lower howl duration and a much more reasonable threat level for their location. There are other differences too, of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Adding unique monsters is good but unfortunately the core problems for Hell and Pan lie in the layout of the maps. Too much poo poo you have to wade through before you get to the parts that are actually interesting and threatening.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
On a related note, I would like to apologize to the player whose D:14 is currently filled with shapeshifting doom hounds. That should be less likely in future.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Can you drag them out to the vestibule and kill them for xp or any shenanigans like that?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PleasingFungus posted:

There's no MR check. Embrace infinity dog.

I am bad at reading Crawlcode. :saddowns:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

apple posted:

Ok, HD remaster of fat demon pigeon with no wings

done

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The Rod gift from Pakelass is still 4*, right? I hit 5* and yet to recieve one. I have used the ctrl-f function to look for a rod but it doesn't see one. Current dump from trunk on cBro.

I've got to stop bringing my bugs here and start using the mantis tracking thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

World Famous Whore posted:

The Rod gift from Pakelass is still 4*, right? I hit 5* and yet to recieve one. I have used the ctrl-f function to look for a rod but it doesn't see one. Current dump from trunk on cBro.

I've got to stop bringing my bugs here and start using the mantis tracking thing.

Fixed already.

• Locked thread