Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

loving hell, twice now I've tried to circumnavigate and my ships get stuck off the coast of Gambia, only way to fix is to disband them which is expensive because that also loving disbands the leader. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Elendil004 posted:

loving hell, twice now I've tried to circumnavigate and my ships get stuck off the coast of Gambia, only way to fix is to disband them which is expensive because that also loving disbands the leader. What the gently caress?

Same happens to me every time I try it. Are you using a random new world?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Koramei posted:

Same happens to me every time I try it. Are you using a random new world?

Yeah. You should just get the prestige if your ships do it while exploring anyways. I've got the drat near whole map uncovered.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ironman Ottoman for Islam achievement trip report:

Spain has hosed off the peninsula for Africa after getting curbstomped by Leon

Morocco is reduced to, somehow, minor Pacific islands (capital is in Wake)

Revolutionary Sweden has been my ally all game, and has been in one war pretty much ever

France lost HYW

mega-Prussia

Brutal Florida vs. Floride fighting

Mega-Timbuktu

100% trade power in Konstaninyye or whatever is pretty nice

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
My Random New World is so drat huge that at one point I was funding 11 colonies at once with +135 settlers along the coastline, and that did not even cover 1/10 of the coastline of 1 of the 3 supercontinents. I got the perfect New World for Ideas Guy.

For those interested, 11 colonies gave me -196 ducats a month for my monthly income. Didn't even need a loan for it.

The New World still needs a bit of a development boost in my opinion though. Almost all of the land is 1/1/1 or some variant of 1/1/2. It feels like the average development over there is still 3.

Also, question out of interest. Do I actually need to core all the land I colonise on the interior if it does not give me an additional place to colonise? Is there actually a disadvantage to it other than not getting the colonising range? It only costs me like 8 admin to core, but it feels like a massive waste of admin. I think I have spent about 7000 admin just coring 3 dev provinces that give no genuine advantage to me.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 5, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well, if you don't core them, you get even LESS advantage.

Also, what the gently caress. In my current game, Denmark still has Sweden under a union in 1475... but NORWAY has declared independence and succesfully broke free. I have never seen that and I have around 1k hours in this game.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

So have the rules for retreating a navy changed? I just lost my stack of cogs because I couldn't retreat them away, even after a month.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GreyPowerVan posted:

Well, if you don't core them, you get even LESS advantage.
But at least they only cost you money, which is only a quasi-currency.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If this run fails to get me Ideas Guy, then I think my next run might be as a Shiva worshipping tribal despotism. More core cost reductions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Another Person posted:

If this run fails to get me Ideas Guy, then I think my next run might be as a Shiva worshipping tribal despotism. More core cost reductions.

My Himalaya one is Shakti-worshipping, because the extra 5% discipline is very hilarious and the sieging is... fine.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
My Ideas Guy run is also Hindu, as an African Dutch Republic. Mostly worshipping Shiva for the core cost reduction.

Owning 3/4 of Africa, pulling in trade from controlling all of Indonesia and Australia is already getting me more than 400 monthly income in the early 1700's.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am in the late 1500s and pulling about... 80 ducats a month? I am consolidating my Eastern border, and once that is over I will be kicking the Obsidian Empire off the map and then conquering Asia.

I ended up going with a bog standard monarchy, Zoroastrian nation because of the trade efficiency. I think my New World might actually be too big to get this achievement. There is so much useless arid land on it, with 3 dev and a -10 penalty to settlers. I am minmaxing like a motherfucker, but this feels doomed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you set someone to hostile your vassals will claim on them, but if they are your rival, your vassals won't fabricate. At least, I don't think so, since my vassal has been bordering them for like 20~ years and has no claims yet.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Trujillo posted:

There are probably 1000 ways to do it but what I did was start as a republic with a leader with 5 mil, London, Essex, Marches, the province south of Marches, and Meath, plus 5% discipline and a land forcelimit modifier and pick the deity that gives you 5% discipline. The first 5 tries I didn't take London but took some other 5 provinces in Britain because London is so expensive but each time England would eventually crush me so you need London to weaken them. England starts with a 0/0/0 ruler and will probably have trouble early on with France/civil war/lollards and you when you get 2 mil techs ahead of them. You'll probably get a mission to take over something in Ireland at the start. Take it and start a claim on another Irish country and take over Ireland, leaving one or two of the Irish countries as vassals if you want to cut back on rebels. From there you'll be a decent size to be able to take out Scotland or England depending on what happens diplomatically. As for allies, try raising relations with Sweden. Once you're big enough and they're free of Denmark they were friendly every time for me. You don't have to start in Britain but it's the safest place for a non-Christian to be in Europe once you get a navy and England is the single biggest roadblock to getting the achievement so destroying them from the inside at the start makes sense.

Just make sure to watch your AE in the peace deal for what countries might coalition you by hovering the mouse over the AE part on the negotiations window since you'll have less leeway than if you were Christian. I accidentally took too much of England at once and got most of western Europe in a coalition war against me that I only won because the Burgundian succession fired and ~30k of the enemy that were besieging London went up in smoke.

Whoa dude, I ask for some tips and you give an amazing guide - thanks! I just finished a 2 hour or so session that saw me get 80% of Ireland and kick England out of England. Unfortunately I got a CTD and lost the save, but this seems like a pretty good strat. France declared on England and I used my transports to watch their armies embark for the continent and get smashed. As soon as they were done I split my cavalry up to occupy provinces and used infantry to siege their capital. Easy war and I think very repeatable.

Wiz - CTD and save deletes still happening!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Impressions on estates:

They're not too tough to manage, keep Loyalty >30 and Influence <80. It's easier to gain Loyalty than lose Influence, and it's probably best to stay around ~70 Influence maximum as random events can push you over 80 and into disaster territory.

Don't be afraid to swap provinces between estates. Give to Clergy upon conquest for the lower RR and better conversion, revoke and give to nobility if it's a poo poo trade good or give to merchants if it's a high trade value province.

Just double check the tooltip for adding/removing a province from an estate so you're staying within the bounds.

Estates seem like an overall benefit once you get a feel for how to use them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jeez, straits are completely useless now. If you can control both provinces connected to the strait you don't need it blocked anyways. There's better ways to nerf byzantium than this.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I have actually been having a hell of a time trying to keep my clergy over 30% loyalty. They hold far, far more land than my other estates, and their influence is almost dangerous, usually hovering around 60%. Despite that their loyalty is still in the toilet. At one point I gave them something like 40% of my land to appease them, and still nothing. Each province gives rough .3% loyalty. It is real rough trying to balance them with my crap lands.

My nobility and merchants are sound as. Ain't heard a quiver from them. Just the upstart clergy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Another Person posted:

I have actually been having a hell of a time trying to keep my clergy over 30% loyalty. They hold far, far more land than my other estates, and their influence is almost dangerous, usually hovering around 60%. Despite that their loyalty is still in the toilet. At one point I gave them something like 40% of my land to appease them, and still nothing. Each province gives rough .3% loyalty. It is real rough trying to balance them with my crap lands.

My nobility and merchants are sound as. Ain't heard a quiver from them. Just the upstart clergy.

You can mouse over their loyalty and see the modifiers.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So I was poking around with the provinces of interest view to see what the AI was up to, and uh...

Yep, that's Naples declaring the entire Ottoman Empire Neapolitan clay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Odobenidae posted:

Jeez, straits are completely useless now. If you can control both provinces connected to the strait you don't need it blocked anyways. There's better ways to nerf byzantium than this.

It's not even a good nerf as that stray was basically useless anyway,

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
HRE as Bohemia. Why can't I reign in a crazy Bavaria with the demand to return HRE provinces? The AI sure as poo poo get to do it to me.

ed

Oh wait, I forgot about they can keep it if they core it.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 5, 2015

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Tomn posted:

So I was poking around with the provinces of interest view to see what the AI was up to, and uh...

Yep, that's Naples declaring the entire Ottoman Empire Neapolitan clay.

Speaking of, I can't seem to figure out how to set a province as being of interest. I'm sure it's something obvious but Google/Wiki hasn't been much help.

Beyond that though I really like the Cossacks improvements so far. Obviously there's always room for tweaking, but it gives internal management a bit of spice and makes diplomacy far more robust and dynamic. I appreciate the buffs to espionage but I still hope we get a bigger overhaul/enhancement of that part of the game down the line (though I totally understand it's hard to make it good without making it broken). Still I like the idea of playing puppet master.

E: Ah figured it out. Have to go to diplomacy for my own country then go to the Feedback tab than just click on provinces.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 5, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you're wanting to check your allies places of interest and then set some more, right click on the country while on that tab. It will take you to their places of interest, it also works on yourself so you can click back and forth without going through menus.

EDIT: Something cool I would like for espionage is to make it where someone gains AE, like they pretended to fab a claim and get caught or something? Would maybe only be useful in HRE. Maybe something that lets you use a diplomat to lower effective fort levels for sieges?

Yeah, espionage group is hard to balance.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Frontspac posted:

Speaking of, I can't seem to figure out how to set a province as being of interest. I'm sure it's something obvious but Google/Wiki hasn't been much help.

E: Ah figured it out. Have to go to diplomacy for my own country then go to the Feedback tab than just click on provinces.

Yeah, to be honest this seems like one feature that people will have trouble finding if they didn't know they were supposed to look for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo I just found Gibola - City of gold. It's the first time I've ever seen any of those. Usually what happens is that the explorer will wander around a lot, randomly get the start event search and then he'll die nine times out of ten before it ends properly and his replacement might get to start over with a new search that also usually ends when he dies and if I'm lucky one search might actually finish with failure before the entire Americas are mapped.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Poil posted:

Holy poo poo I just found Gibola - City of gold. It's the first time I've ever seen any of those. Usually what happens is that the explorer will wander around a lot, randomly get the start event search and then he'll die nine times out of ten before it ends properly and his replacement might get to start over with a new search that also usually ends when he dies and if I'm lucky one search might actually finish with failure before the entire Americas are mapped.

Some of them are nice.

I like the +prestige ones, makes it easy to sit at 100 and now you can trade prestige for loyalty in a lot of events.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Now we have a swank new RNW, surely the cities of gold should show up as OPMs? :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do I end the Plutocratic Coup disaster? It helpfully says it will end "when the Burghers have been curtailed", what does that mean? Am I waiting for an event to trigger or does the influence have to drop below a certain value?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Poil posted:

How do I end the Plutocratic Coup disaster? It helpfully says it will end "when the Burghers have been curtailed", what does that mean? Am I waiting for an event to trigger or does the influence have to drop below a certain value?

You need to enact a decision to end the disaster.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sorced posted:

You need to enact a decision to end the disaster.
Thanks, they could have explained tha- holy gently caress -3 stab and -2 development to my capital? That's 640 admin points and 62 diplo points including the cost to raise the stab to +1 but not the annoyances of lowering the influence and getting disloyalty and rebels. I'd rather just stick with the minor morale, force limit and manpower penalties then.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 5, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am an Oligarchic Republic but have some PUs still, is it possible that an election doesn't count as ruler death in terms of inheritance?

Edit: Nevermind, after the 11th election with 20% I got all 3 of them in one go

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 5, 2015

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I think I am having one of the largest 30 years' war I've experienced to date

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

is there a way to get rid of estates entirely? The 40% influence from cities and +20% influence event meant my tribes were well over 80% influence, and I would have had to remove almost all their land to end the disaster. So I said gently caress it and did that and decided to just take everything from then and see what happens. Every province i removed after a certain point made a 7 stack pop up, which was easy enough to deal with, and then after removing the last one I got a -20 opinion malus with my neighbors for "liberalising" the country. But the estate still existed in my tab. Is it just not possible to opt out?

I ended up forming Bukhara anyway because I wanted to see the Muslim estates. A lot more interesting to juggle four factions. Much better bonuses too.

I really like this expansion a lot. I like turtling sometimes and just focusing on internal stuff and the estates give you something to do between wars. The diplomacy changes are interesting as well and make long-term alliances more rewarding. It's a good mix of interesting mechanics that also give some more flavor.

shallowj fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 5, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
As a horde you can't fully opt out of estates but if you're aggressive enough you can completly remove all their provinces and ignore them. You get a -1 or so horde unity per year modifier from it but who cares when you just keep razing everything.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Haven't made an HRE run in a long time. Trying as Bohemia. Didn't get the Burgundian Throne event thing, but neither did any one else.

But man is it difficult to enact HRE reforms. Any tips?

ed

Oh and they killed off the Hansa. So... who's the new Insane Trade country?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thinking of trying a First Come First Serve run, but running into a roadblock before I even begin. I'm decent at seeing the ideas that a country has and figuring out what to do with them. I can't do the reverse. I have no idea where to even begin when it comes to picking ideas and when to place them.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
For anyone getting the CTD and deleted saves, are you saving to the cloud? Ironman saves used to go there by default but now the default is local. I lost a save when I didn't have it on the cloud but after I started saving them there I haven't got it but maybe I've just been lucky.

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Whoa dude, I ask for some tips and you give an amazing guide - thanks!

No problem!

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I'm doing my first run at this game, playing as Venice (still) and just won the 30 years war for the Protestants. I'd like to join the HRE, but I guess I'm too big? I can't figure out how to try to join. How do I do it?

Also, it's about 1550 and my trade income is like 20 ducats/mo. Should it be higher than that at this point? I'm forwarding trade from Constantinople and Ragusa w/ like 50% of the trade power in each node and 70% in Venezia. I have 30 light ships (caravels) protecting trade and diplomatic tech level 11. Is there something I should be doing better to increase my income?

Acceptableloss fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 5, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I haven't had a chance to put in much time yet, but one thing I've noticed with Cossacks is that AI blobbiness seems back to around pre-Art of War levels. To a degree it seems mitigated by the new fluidity of diplomacy, as I've seen a number of small tier powers grow enormously in one or two wars and then get beaten down by their neighbors. I'm less thrilled about stuff like Hungary grabbing a bunch of Italian provinces across from Dalmatia, or Muscovy back to being unable to cope with Novgorod though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

TTBF posted:

Thinking of trying a First Come First Serve run, but running into a roadblock before I even begin. I'm decent at seeing the ideas that a country has and figuring out what to do with them. I can't do the reverse. I have no idea where to even begin when it comes to picking ideas and when to place them.

I went with this for my run (which is progressing well enough). With just 50 points you don't have much to work with ideas wise. Monthly WE/ monthly autonomy /yearly inflation are just really good in general and the two army tradition improvements are good for their cost compared to say 5% morale or 2.5% discipline.The rest I'm not that happy with, especially the development/idea cost reductions have been very inconsequential.

I've since noticed that the achievement doesn't actually check if you start western or not so If I would do things over I'd start with something like this:

Going for inti, nahuatl or mayan to get the colonist from their religion and start as mesoamerican to save points for colonist as starting idea. Would speed up colonizing with the downside that you have to deal with that difficult moment when the europeans arrive and you westernize. But if you have previously played as a native that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

You could also start with muslim/indian/chinese tech and get the starting colonist. I don't think the mesoamerican religions work with those tech groups but you'd get exploration/expansion faster.

• Locked thread