Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Literally The Worst posted:

i would say that regardless of what i think, which is not a thing under discussion at this time, your thought exercise was absolutely loving retarded because it compared "nobody wants to touch a guy's tiny ding dong because he's a poo poo" to literal racism and xenophobia

Okay, then whenever someone ironically says "death to Israel", an ultra right wing Zionist can machine gun everyone in the room. If someone hypothetically made a dead baby joke around militant pro-lifers, twenty people get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Okay, then whenever someone ironically says "death to Israel", an ultra right wing Zionist can machine gun everyone in the room

Every time someone says "death to Israel", a Zionist gets his wings WP. :angel:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Okay, then whenever someone ironically says "death to Israel", an ultra right wing Zionist can machine gun everyone in the room. If someone hypothetically made a dead baby joke around militant pro-lifers, twenty people get shot.

i need someone to point at where i said islamophobia excuses anything, or really, anything other than pointing out that LGD literally compared racism to being a repulsive individual

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

i need someone to point at where i said islamophobia excuses anything, or really, anything other than pointing out that LGD literally compared racism to being a repulsive individual

The Elliot Rogers thing wasn't really the best comparison.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mass shooters and terrorists almost always have a grievance

I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village in their Blackhawk helicopters. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too.
Terrorist: I like you. You have balls. I like balls.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Mass shooters and terrorists almost always have a grievance

I was just a boy when the infidels came to my village in their Blackhawk helicopters. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too.
Terrorist: I like you. You have balls. I like balls.

Exactly, but sometimes those grievances actually have at least some nugget of tangible legitimacy like in Ireland and Palestine and sometimes they're just butt-gently caress stupid/insane like Eliot Rodgers. That doesn't mean however that any form of mass-shooting or terrorism is somehow justified and of course there are shades of grey between those two examples I just gave. Being treated like poo poo simply because your a muslim until you snap, to me at least, is on the side where maybe we as a society should not treat muslims like poo poo simply because they're muslim because that poo poo just might drive some already unstable people to go on shooting sprees.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 5, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

oh word? i hadn't realized that thing i was saying all along

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

oh word? i hadn't realized that thing i was saying all along

Yeah well I fixed it for them.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

It really wasn't. It was possibly one of the most poorly-thought-out comparisons USPOL's seen in like

4 pages, at least

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Small Frozen Thing posted:

It really wasn't. It was possibly one of the most poorly-thought-out comparisons USPOL's seen in like

4 pages, at least

I think it was because someone brought up mass shootings as bullying...although I don't think that Rodgers was bullied in the usual sense (I think some people laughed at him when he creeped out a girl and got tossed off a balcony? Idk, I guess he felt that he was being bullied?)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It seems to me that this is a pretty different thing that defies historical comparison but will be kept on hand to compare future mass shootings to. Like the three or so that will happen next week at the current rate.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, you're literally the only person dumb enough here to think.

No one is saying that either killer was "justified", people are saying that maybe a potential cause for the recent shooting was that after being treated like poo poo just for being a muslim in america by a conservative shithead he went on a rampage.

Which according to your warped little mind is the exact same thing as being an entitles piece of poo poo that thinks hot women should have sex with you at the drop of a hat and when they don't you go on a rampage.

No, you're justifying the hell out of it. It doesn't get more entitled than murdering over a dozen people because they weren't properly deferential to your sky god.

Why are you so upset that I'd dare make the comparison to Elliot Rodger, a man who we all acknowledge killed for wholly unjustified reasons? The way this is addressed in this thread and the posts I was responding to is absolutely about implicit justification and victim blaming, not pure explanation of the killer's motives.

if you're not interested in justifying it why does it matter that their grievance was (maybe) about racism rather than another form of social rejection?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Holy poo poo shut up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LGD posted:

if you're not interested in justifying it why does it matter that their grievance was (maybe) about racism rather than another form of social rejection?

jesus christ how many times have i gotta say it? i am taking umbrage with your argument, specifically, the way you chose to make your argument, the example you thought was suitable. i have yet to say anything about anything being justified, but yet here you are, banging on that drum, not actually saying anything about how you're going "well if you think about it being an awful piece of garbage to the point where even goons found you pathetic and actual racism are the same thing"

how are you this stupid man? i'm not saying islamophobia justifies this shooting at all, because it doesn't. i'm saying your thought experiment was loving retarded adn you should be ashamed of yourself for it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LGD posted:

Why are you so upset that I'd dare make the comparison to Elliot Rodger, a man who we all acknowledge killed for wholly unjustified reasons?

because it's a stupid loving comparison you goddamn idiot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"why are you so upset that i'd dare compare an entitled jackass with a tiny weiner to racism?" he asked smugly, secure and happy in his own ignorance

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LGD posted:

No, you're justifying the hell out of it. It doesn't get more entitled than murdering over a dozen people because they weren't properly deferential to your sky god.

Why are you so upset that I'd dare make the comparison to Elliot Rodger, a man who we all acknowledge killed for wholly unjustified reasons? The way this is addressed in this thread and the posts I was responding to is absolutely about implicit justification and victim blaming, not pure explanation of the killer's motives.

So according to you "not being respectful of someones religion" is the exact same thing as "treating someone like poo poo just because of their religion", got it. :thumbsup:

Also, no one is "justifying" either shooting, implicit or otherwise.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

i am taking umbrage

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you ever heard the expression "Not even wrong"?

I feel it is somehow relevant.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That comparison is so bad that I'm literally unable to make an even worse, obviously hyperbolic one for satirical effect. I'm serious I've spent like ten minutes trying to come up with something here and I got nothing, that's how bad it is. It's literally the hyperbolic joke argument except you're using it as an actual point. Jesus Christ

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

U TAKING UMBRAGE?

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Please don't be mad, ever.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

So according to you "not being respectful of someones religion" is the exact same thing as "treating someone like poo poo just because of their religion", got it. :thumbsup:

Also, no one is "justifying" either shooting, implicit or otherwise.

well I was dialing it back a little since everyone seems to now be convinced this shooter suffered a racist hate campaign because someone in his office had un-D&D opinions on the middle east, which you know, kind of seems like it might imply some level of victim blaming is going on

but yes, suppose he was treated like complete loving garbage by everyone in his office because of his religion

does that lower the degree of entitlement in your eyes? was gunning down dozens of people in an office made more acceptable because of the oppression he faced? does it bother you on any level that I compare his killings to a man who killed for trivial reasons?

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

It justifies an increase in mental health care in america! and or the increase in mental health check for gun purchase or whatever!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Generally when people correct your interpretation of their posts the response is not to go ARE YOU SURE BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT I SAY IT DOES

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LGD posted:

well I was dialing it back a little since everyone seems to now be convinced this shooter suffered a racist hate campaign because someone in his office had un-D&D opinions on the middle east, which you know, kind of seems like it might imply some level of victim blaming is going on

but yes, suppose he was treated like complete loving garbage by everyone in his office because of his religion

does that lower the degree of entitlement in your eyes? was gunning down dozens of people in an office made more acceptable because of the oppression he faced? does it bother you on any level that I compare his killings to a man who killed for trivial reasons?

1) I have never said what he did was acceptable and in fact have made numerous posts stating that it was not.

2) No it doesn't, I'm literally laughing to the point of waking up my wife that someone could make a comparison that dumb.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Michael Moore is a Failure .jpg:

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

The problem with Gun Control is that the batman movie shooter took the guns from his mommy because he was a retarded person and there IS NO GOD drat WAY IN HELL THAT WE WILL STOP HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

We need to look at our society and ask "Why the god drat hell does a normal person want to murder everyone around him?"

Well?

Liberal arts majors? I'm looking at you? I know how to do machines and stuff lol what the gently caress is like the psychology or whatever

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Our taxes are literally subsidizing people to go to school for psychology and what the god drat gently caress do we get?

RETARDOS OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

If it was Islamos, I can explain that, but retardos?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cool Bear posted:

Our taxes are literally subsidizing people to go to school for psychology and what the god drat gently caress do we get?

RETARDOS OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

If it was Islamos, I can explain that, but retardos?

It's all the fluoride in the water, man. :tinfoil:

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

inkblot posted:

It's all the fluoride in the water, man. :tinfoil:

Maybe we should take guns away from ALL CITIZENS :tinfoil: like every other first world country :tinfoil:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

1) I have never said what he did was acceptable and in fact have made numerous posts stating that it was not.

2) No it doesn't, I'm literally laughing to the point of waking up my wife that someone could make a comparison that dumb.

the original post I responded to also was very clear to declare that it was in no way justifying the shooter's actions, and then went ahead and talked about how other people created the conditions "for it to happen" (note the passive voice- it's a thing that happened, not something someone did)

I still found it objectionable because of the degree of responsibility that was being assigned to the victims based on speculation about bad things they might have done (blaming them and offering an implicit justification for the shooter), and drew a comparison to someone who murdered people that we can all agree are blameless

everyone seems extremely eager to tell me how offensive and unthinkable this comparison is, but no one seems quite willing to offer a rationale for why this comparison is so beyond the pale (beyond reaffirming the incomparable wickedness of Elliot Rodger) and everyone seems to be tripping over themselves to discuss how bad racism and islamophobia are

they are bad, extremely so, which isn't something that should need to be said

but I'm still struggling to see how invoking them here, on the very barest of evidence, isn't blaming the victims for what happened, and offering what is essentially a more sophisticated version of the "hooker heels, low morals, and bad lifestyle" defense because it lets people in this thread deal with the tragedy by claiming a moral high ground on behalf of an oppressed minority

edit: to expand on the metaphor, and make it a little clearer- it's really hard for me to take people at their word that they're in no way justifying the crime when they keep banging on about how immoral the lifestyle of the victim was

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 5, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Bear posted:

We need to look at our society and ask "Why the god drat hell does a normal person want to murder everyone around him?"

Well?

Liberal arts majors? I'm looking at you? I know how to do machines and stuff lol what the gently caress is like the psychology or whatever

congrats on being a mindless cog in a machine run by ivory tower elite liberal arts people i guess? at the end you'll be shoved into a van labeled 'glue factory' don't worry

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

icantfindaname posted:

congrats on being a mindless cog in a machine run by ivory tower elite liberal arts people i guess? at the end you'll be shoved into a van labeled 'glue factory' don't worry

Please, it'll be labeled 'bearskin rug factory', surely.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Please, it'll be labeled 'bearskin rug factory', surely.
This is true, we can only have the finest rugs to make back the $40,000.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

doller doller bills you all I just purchased a gtx 970 with my customer service bling.

I need to read the previous post though from LGD, I will be polite one minute please

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cool Bear posted:

doller doller bills you all I just purchased a gtx 970 with my customer service bling.

I need to read the previous post though from LGD, I will be polite one minute please

Come back when you have a gtx 980ti scrub :smuggo:

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I live in an insanely bland world where I don't give a poo poo about why whatever shooter did what today or what the gently caress.

Your post failed to describe anything in this context.

Imagine that I am a wealthy rear end in a top hat who just votes for Bernie Sanders because I feel bad for poor people.

Your post gives nothing to me, but you spent a lot of effort on your post.

I am sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cool Bear posted:

I live in an insanely bland world where I don't give a poo poo about why whatever shooter did what today or what the gently caress.

Your post failed to describe anything in this context.

Imagine that I am a wealthy rear end in a top hat who just votes for Bernie Sanders because I feel bad for poor people.

Your post gives nothing to me, but you spent a lot of effort on your post.

I am sorry.

I too own a gtx 970

it's been an ok GPU so far

and honestly given your self description you're probably not the sort of person I've been trying to reach with these posts

• Locked thread