Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Really I just hope they release a surface x86 phone that's built as nice as the regular surfaces. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

AtomD posted:

I switched to iPhone last month and it's been a really unpleasant experience, to be honest. That's obviously down to me being on WP since 7.1 and not being used to iOS at all, but still.
Here's a partial list of gripes:
  • The alphabetical "swipe" list is loving trash compared to jump lists.
  • Having some app settings in "Settings" and some app settings in-app confuses me.
  • The keyboard is less accurate.
  • "Today" view is like live tiles, but only bad and ugly and less customizable.
  • Swiping away notifications only to have an "x" appear is incredibly unsatisfying.
  • The music controls are tiny.
  • The "Control Center" gesture rarely works well in-app, which is where you're most likely to want to lock rotation.
  • "Rotation Lock" only locks to portrait for no discernible reason.
  • I have to make a "Junk" folder to put poo poo like "Watch" in it.
  • Okay, now... This is a ramble. When you go into Clock>Alarm and you tap on an entry, it won't edit that entry. You have to tap "Edit" at the top first. Tapping on the entry itself doesn't do anything until you tap edit. Small thing, but what I'm saying is this: It's completely natural to expect tapping a big-rear end piece of text to go into detail about that thing. Except obviously some guys at Cupertino thought "no no, that's not... how we want you to do it." It feels like i'm fighting for dominance with my own phone a lot. Like my phone keeps negging me.
I'll give it another month before going back to a cheap WP, as utterly insane as that sounds.

I switched back to Windows phone because I can't stand the iPhone keyboard and the settings are absolutely a mess. There really were two places for app settings and they were not the same thing but in two convenient locations. Also, the lack of a back button made navigating apps awkward for me. I don't mind getting used to new things if they're better, but iOS seemed like a boring step backwards. I got the criticism that early Windows phone fans would say, it's an app launcher OS. I miss the apps, most of those were stable and there were so many of them. Apple pay was rad. I don't know that I'll go back to iPhone if Windows phone dies. I might see what this cyanogen thing is like. Google is the main reason I'm not using Android.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Ah, man, unimpressive internals, but otherwise it sure would have been more interesting if this had been Microsofts Lumia take instead:

Japanese company, up on the Verge now.

All I can see is "ANUS"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

joebuddah posted:

As for Droid, we bought a cheapo tablet 5 years ago and it soured the Droid experience.

ALL tablets were poo poo 5 years ago (I bought arguably the best Android tablet at the time and it was awful) and cheapo tablets are poo poo still.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

ALL tablets were poo poo 5 years ago (I bought arguably the best Android tablet at the time and it was awful) and cheapo tablets are poo poo still.

I still have my Transformer Prime (TF 201 from 2012) and only use it as video player when I'm traveling because it always was so drat sluggish thanks to the awful Nvidia Tegra 3 and horrible NAND. I'll end some day just buying a Toshiba tablet with windows or something since Android sucks at anything that isn't 7 to 8 inches and 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio. I own the probably best android tablet made, a Nexus 7 2013 wich still works flawlessly.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

benitocereno posted:

Just for my own curiosity - for those of you still using WP, why?
I haven't tried the alternatives, it does what I need it to do and does so very well. I'm a bit frustrated with Microsoft's ability to sell the platform, but I went from a 900 to a 640 this past spring and have been perfectly happy with everything else about both the phone and platform.

My wife is still using her 1020. Her only annoyance was losing visual voicemail after we moved from AT&T to Cricket.

Perhaps kind of standard and what you'd expect.

What's harder for me to understand is my mother-in-law.

My wife convinced her to get 1520 which over the course of a coupleof years broke, was replaced, and then lost. She replaced it with a 640and seems to be perfectly happy with it as a phone and camera.

It's kind of hard for me to comprehend why. My wife and I live out of state and she has much closer proximity with her other daughter and that daughter's extended family who are all iPhone. My MIL has no allegiance to Microsoft or WP and for her the path of least resistance would be to go iPhone. And yet she sticks with WP. :unsmith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm mainly a Microsoft guy and use a lot of their products, so I'm confortable with a Windows Phone. It's a happy medium between paying a premium to have a phone virtually everyone else has (iPhone) and having to deal with a cluttered mess (Android).

The UI is fantastic, the keyboard and spellchecking are top-notch, and my Icon/929 does everything I need it to do. It kinda sucks not having specific apps once in a while (Fallout Shelter, an app for my bank and credit card, etc.), but mobile sites for the latter work just fine. There's a decent selection of games and even an NES emulator to play something like Monopoly on when I'm extra bored. I'm with this ship until it sinks.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Charles Martel posted:

The UI is fantastic,
Uh which one, WP8 or 10

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a Embedded Linux engineer who has developed a Android Tablet as well, I will never ever use a Android device again.

Every single revision is a major rewrite of the code in someway or another.
The ART/Dalvik/JNI/HAL layer is a mess.
The handling of SD cards is basic at best.
The build system (was) a complete mess.

Android is to Linux as OSX is to Unix.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

benitocereno posted:

I never want to spend > $100 on a phone. It's too easy to lose them or break them. I'm sure I could be content with an iPhone, and I do look enviously at everyone on the bus who can swipe and tap their phones and they respond instantly, but I figure I'm never going to get that at my price point.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Uh which one, WP8 or 10

I'm still on 8.1, but our laptops have been on Windows 10 since the first day I could upgrade them. Is 10 still that jarring on WP?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
As much as I've given up on WP, if I could get a 640 for under $50 unlocked I probably would not. But here's what's available in Canada:

Why even waste the server space to host the .png

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

As much as I've given up on WP, if I could get a 640 for under $50 unlocked I probably would not. But here's what's available in Canada:

Why even waste the server space to host the .png

At first I went :eyepop: but then I saw Canada, and yeah, that's to be expected :v:. But even in the States, The XL is more expensive then it should be.

But that $70~ 640? That's a good deal IMO.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

benitocereno posted:

I have all three: iPhone for work, a Nexus 5 which I keep around for a couple of apps you can't get for WP and because it's much, much nicer to work on Word docs from Dropbox on it than it is on my Lumia, and the aforementioned 930 which is my regular phone. There are lots of little things I like about it (especially the built-in FM antenna, because who wants to piss away mobile data by streaming radio over the web?), and more than a few that drive me bats, but the main thing I like is the lack of apps: seriously, I finally got so fed up with Android apps constantly pestering for wholly unnecessary permissions that I switched. No apps = no problem! :v: That, and the supremely good battery life. The Nexus and the Nokia are both better than the iPhone though - on the occasions I'm forced to use that thing it just feels gimpy as hell. e; I'll probably stick with the 930 until we know how the Surface Phone turns out (and what it'll cost) or that modular Google phone project comes to fruition. There's nothing else about that seems very interesting.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All the reasons people have said, plus the OneDrive integration is a godsend to me.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

I missed a call because of this poo poo. My Bluetooth is off but my ringer didn't work because it thinks it's still connected. I did a factory reset and that fixed the problems I've been having. Hopefully this is a one time issue.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Despite verifying that they're all set up to be shown in the notification center all my new mail notifications seem to be permanently broken in WP10.

Anyone else run into this? Do you have a fix?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

benitocereno posted:

I really enjoy the simple UI. The higher end phones I've had 920/1020/950 haven't given me as many issues as I've run into on Android and everything just seems to work nicely. The build quality of the old Lumias (can't say I have much faith in my 950) was solid as poo poo, I've never had a cracked screen even after some horrible drops onto concrete. Also the Camera and OneDrive stuff is perfect, really love the "adjust the lighting" on the 950.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm a cheap fucker who doesn't do much with his phone, and I'm heavily invested in the MS ecosystem for other reasons so :shobon:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Tivac posted:

Despite verifying that they're all set up to be shown in the notification center all my new mail notifications seem to be permanently broken in WP10.

Anyone else run into this? Do you have a fix?

This is a common issue on W10 desktop as well. Mail and notifications are completely hit or miss.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I really want to know why Word on Android is so much better than Word on Wp.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

joebuddah posted:

WP8? Because the android version has been updated within the last year.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

joebuddah posted:

There are hundreds of millions of Android users. Might as well ask why the BlackBerry version of Word is so lacking. (Also obligatory "they stopped working on the WP8 version because the Windows 10 app is totally different and why keep working on a dead end app")

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What does the Android/iOS version of Office have that the WP version doesn't?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

There are hundreds of millions of Android users. Might as well ask why the BlackBerry version of Word is so lacking. (Also obligatory "they stopped working on the WP8 version because the Windows 10 app is totally different and why keep working on a dead end app")

A little bit different as despite the bullshit market share WP is still in-house. Blackberry is both irrelevant and external. Doesn't stop Microsoft from making their own poo poo incompatible at each generation. WP7 is the best thing ever but we'll change it all for WP8! We've change the name guys, it's "Windows for Phones" now, not "Windows Phone!". Oh wait we have "Phone" back again (maybe?), PS 10 is now totally different, WP8 was still the poo poo tho! Circles are in!

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What does the Android/iOS version of Office have that the WP version doesn't?

Much nicer interface with less rooting around in menus, Dropbox support, the ability to zoom out a way so that people can't read what you're working on over your shoulder.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
My old Moto G is slowly committing suicide and I'm thinking of making the transition to a Windows Phone for price reasons (the only Android phone that looks half decent in a compact size is ~$300); anything I should know to avoid about the Unlocked Lumia 635 other than that the camera sucks? Also is there anywhere else I should be looking for deals, I like the look of the blue version but not enough to pay double the price that the black version is available for on Amazon. Currently on T-Mobile if that's relevant.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mo_Steel posted:

My old Moto G is slowly committing suicide and I'm thinking of making the transition to a Windows Phone for price reasons (the only Android phone that looks half decent in a compact size is ~$300); anything I should know to avoid about the Unlocked Lumia 635 other than that the camera sucks? Also is there anywhere else I should be looking for deals, I like the look of the blue version but not enough to pay double the price that the black version is available for on Amazon. Currently on T-Mobile if that's relevant.

Why not the 640? It's a much better phone

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

Why not the 640? It's a much better phone

All I see available for sale are Unlocked 640 XL's with a 5.7 in. display for $299 or AT&T 640's that aren't listed as Unlocked, just No Contract; my current Moto G has a 4.5" display which is pretty much spot on for the size I'm looking for.

e: Looks like I could pick a regular 640 up on Cricket Wireless for $99, and their Basic plan is about as much as T-Mobile's Goon plan ($35 vs $30)

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 4, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

All I see available for sale are Unlocked 640 XL's with a 5.7 in. display for $299 or AT&T 640's that aren't listed as Unlocked, just No Contract; my current Moto G has a 4.5" display which is pretty much spot on for the size I'm looking for.

e: Looks like I could pick a regular 640 up on Cricket Wireless for $99, and their Basic plan is about as much as T-Mobile's Goon plan ($35 vs $30)

The jump between the 635 and 640 is so big that isn't funny while not really being much bigger since the screen to size ratio on the 635 is worse.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 635 was less than half the price of the 640 on Cricket. In comparison the quality of the 635 is worse, and it is worth the extra 30 - 40 to upgrade to the 640 IMO. That being said the 635 supports hotspot on Cricket, and the 640 does not. Visual voicemail doesn't work either on my ATT GoPhone one with the Cricket SIM, which is where you find out your voicemail PIN on Cricket is probably 0000 like everyone else.

Something with a bit more RAM to give programs less of an opportunity to randomly close, or, where it doesn't overheat while you play Microsoft Bingo would be nice, but, that doesn't exist at the $50 - 70 pricepoint that is for sure.

Make sure you're aware of the amount of LTE Data you get for the plan price versus the T-Mobile $30 plan - it is not the same as far as I am aware.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Partycat posted:

The 635 was less than half the price of the 640 on Cricket. In comparison the quality of the 635 is worse, and it is worth the extra 30 - 40 to upgrade to the 640 IMO. That being said the 635 supports hotspot on Cricket, and the 640 does not. Visual voicemail doesn't work either on my ATT GoPhone one with the Cricket SIM, which is where you find out your voicemail PIN on Cricket is probably 0000 like everyone else.

Something with a bit more RAM to give programs less of an opportunity to randomly close, or, where it doesn't overheat while you play Microsoft Bingo would be nice, but, that doesn't exist at the $50 - 70 pricepoint that is for sure.

Make sure you're aware of the amount of LTE Data you get for the plan price versus the T-Mobile $30 plan - it is not the same as far as I am aware.

Yeah, it looks like the Basic plan for $35 is only 2.5 GB of data vs. 5GB high speed on T-Mobile; seems like the consensus is that the 640 is a significant bit better than the 635 though, so I'll probably go with the 640.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Mo_Steel posted:

Yeah, it looks like the Basic plan for $35 is only 2.5 GB of data vs. 5GB high speed on T-Mobile; seems like the consensus is that the 640 is a significant bit better than the 635 though, so I'll probably go with the 640.
The 640 is a nice phone, and definitely is worth it over the 635. If you're not dead set on leaving T-Mobile, you might consider an unlocked MetroPCS version. It's basically the T-Mobile version with a MetroPCS boot logo, and it has LTE Band 12 support and the Wi-Fi calling works with T-Mobile as well. I got a MetroPCS 640 on sale for $60 new and spent $20 unlocking it (as it's locked to MetroPCS only), and it works great on T-Mobile and Cricket.

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 5, 2015

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Build 10.586.29 just came in on my phone, I wonder if it fixes anything.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to save an old email to your phone?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

Is it possible to save an old email to your phone?

I don't think so, but maybe you can save it to OneNote.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Smoke posted:

Build 10.586.29 just came in on my phone, I wonder if it fixes anything.

Put this on my 640 yesterday and it feels much snappier than before.

From what Gabe said in release:

-You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
-Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
-Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
-Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
-We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
-Data profiles are now correctly restored in the out of box experience that would prevent some devices from sending or receiving MMS messages.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any way to get Windows 10 Mobile on my HTC 8X?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

This is the chart of unique user sessions of my Awful app. Since the release (or at least the RTM of Windows Mobile 10), the 640 and 930 have now shot right to the top. Like, nearly all users of the app are on phones, and few use it on tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm surprised that the 930 outnumbers the 950XL (the RM-1116_15357) and the 950 isn't there at all. I assumed that the 930 wouldn't be as popular as the 920 and 1520 since the 930 (excluding the Icon) was never available from an American carrier and the International models that were sold here had limited 3G/4G coverage and no LTE support. It's why I never got it. Go figure.