Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Talented doesn't begin to describe these two!
Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddamn, they just keep doing stuff I thought was impossible.

Also goddamn, Clutch is one hell of a band to witness live. Neil has the most amazing and energetic stage presence, it's such a blast to watch them give it 110% all the way through.

Now, if only people at concert could behave themselves, that would be great. I was all the way at the front, a little to the side, so I was out of the worst of the stagediving, moshing, jumping and pushing zone. But first this stupidly drunk dude just kept jumping around and flailing his arms about, hitting people and generally getting on everyone's nerves. Every time the security guys told him to stop, he would just make like "yeah sure whatever" and start up again seconds after they looked away. Them they tried sending him to the back, but he just kept barging to the front. I think they ended up throwing him out.

And then just a couple of minutes later, some monumental Swedish* jackass just grabbed the rail next to be and tried to forcibly jam himself in so he could push me out of the way. Of course, I'm a big guy and I was still a little pissed off about the other idiot, so I was having none of it (and neither were any of the guys next to me). Then he got all "welcome to rock concerts in Copenhagen, get used to it" on me.

I loving live here, you monumental shitlord. I live and breathe all the rock/metal concert venues around here. Get the gently caress out of my city if you're just going to shows to be an rear end in a top hat and piss people off. I was at the venue early so I could be at the very front because I loving love this band, I stayed here during the two warmup bands' sets, I specifically didn't go to grab beer or anything else because I wanted to be at the front when Clutch played. Don't loving show up in the middle of the set and try to barge your way to the very front. You showed up late, tough luck. Find some space further back.

* No offense to Swedes in general, you're usually totally awesome and friendly at concerts. And a couple of big friendly Swedish dudes did manage to surround the jerkass in question and move him away, so I made sure one of them got my spot at the barrier when I went to the bar for another beer for the last 4-5 songs.

Goddammit, going to a concert is supposed to be fun, and yeah there's going to be some bumping and moshing and whatnot at the front. But there's a huge difference between good-natured bumping and mean-spirited shoving and barging in.

Rant over, I guess.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 5, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Goddamn everyone get over into the terrible car stuff thread and read ReelBigLizard's posts. Amazing :allears:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

Is something replacing fiber?

10 GbE over shielded twisted pair (CAT-7) might be cheaper if you don't need the single-run distance capability of fiber. Fiber uses ethernet the same way copper networking cable does until you reach the physical layer, copper cable is just finally catching up with fiber in the speed category, at least in terms of commercial availability.

Could be wrong, I'm not really up to speed on costs of copper vs. fiber.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tool added an Orlando show and of course tickets sold out in minutes.

This is the second time I've missed them; last time my coworker got some, had some spares but refused to sell one to me specifically, then was an absolute smuglord the next day about how awesome it was. God what a loving prick.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Anyone else getting hungry?

It came from my Instagram feed, no idea where it was taken.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

10 GbE over shielded twisted pair (CAT-7) might be cheaper if you don't need the single-run distance capability of fiber. Fiber uses ethernet the same way copper networking cable does until you reach the physical layer, copper cable is just finally catching up with fiber in the speed category, at least in terms of commercial availability.

You're right except for as you mentioned: long haul where single mode fiber still excels. Don't know of anything on the horizon that it likely to replace the any time soon. And that usage is still a big deal.

Looking forward to SAC being my "backhoe fade" on circuits I'm paying $6k+ a month for.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mafoose posted:

Talented doesn't begin to describe these two!
Holy poo poo that is awesome.

That fabrication is killing me. Sexy indeed.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Root Bear posted:

Anyone else getting hungry?

It came from my Instagram feed, no idea where it was taken.

I think the A1 steak sandwich was an Arby's thing. Now I hate you because I want one.

Motronic posted:

You're right except for as you mentioned: long haul where single mode fiber still excels. Don't know of anything on the horizon that it likely to replace the any time soon. And that usage is still a big deal.

Looking forward to SAC being my "backhoe fade" on circuits I'm paying $6k+ a month for.

Its no worse than a dump truck running over the fiber node 3 blocks from my house. But I wasn't affected v :) v

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Do any of you guys use cordless ratchets? I have seen a couple of youtube car personalities using them (usually milwaukee brand), and it looks nice. But in real world applications do you actually end up using the thing that much?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
22 years ago today, the world got a little more quiet and a little less weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAceec8DxI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

Fiber is getting faster too, although I don't know if that is happening proportionally with copper. I think you can use the same fiber runs and just switch the equipment, too. Since bandwidth needs aren't going down I kind of figured that both are going to continue to be used in similar scenarios.

edit: one time in another chat thread somebody said they were installing cameras that required CAT-7. I'm kind of curious what kind of camera requires that bandwidth.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't buy cheap belts, folks.

Just put on a new "Gold Label" Dayco and it purrs like a kitten. All that brain wracking for nothing, gently caress.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

Keep in mind that most ISP-grade fibre isn't ethernet at layer-2, it's PON which isn't the same. Fibre is never going away in the carrier world, not until we work out how to break the speed of light anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
JohnTV, the vigilante weirdo whose mission in life is to capture on film prostitution in Oklahoma City, has upgraded to drone technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJ9pzZS3ao&t=252s
Frankly, it's a hilariously effective and invasive use of drones. The launch and hunting around takes me back to when I first played Ghost Record Advanced Warfighter.

My favorite thing about his videos, though, is that he uses the same riff at the moment of busts (5:35) as the intro to AutoCar videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb7hVioA7TI
which I regard as the English MotorWeek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Don't buy cheap belts, folks.

Just put on a new "Gold Label" Dayco and it purrs like a kitten. All that brain wracking for nothing, gently caress.

Ah poo poo. Kind of funny though right?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mafoose posted:

Woot posting from a fresh Win10 install on my new SSD and videocard.
Waiting for steam games to migrate, then I'm going to play something!

Just got the new system up and running here. Had some issues with the memory, system wouldn't post when the memory was installed per the MB manual, so I pulled one DIMM, and it posted fine. I put the DIMM back into a different slot, and also worked fine. So either I've got a bad DIMM slot, or the way the manual suggests staggering them is a bad thing.

Got my old boot drive formatted and currently transferring back all my pictures and crap from another drive. System now boots off of a 500GB Samsun EVO 850 SSD, and unless the godawful noisy DVD is running, it's quiet as hell now. Guess it's time to break down and buy Fallout 4 and see how it plays.

I did screw up and when I switched the build from a GTX970 to a 980, I didn't notice that the outputs on the card changed, so I'm running on two monitors since I am short one cable (was running two DVI's & an HDMI before, and this card has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 3 x displayport). Have 2 displayport cables on the way.

If you are still interested in my leftovers from the old build, let me know what interests you and we'll work something out.

Coolermaster case and CPU Cooling (air). Intel i5-750 CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, Corsair TX750w PS, EVGA GTX 770 4gb video. I have an extra loud as gently caress DVD/CDRom too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Locator posted:

Just got the new system up and running here. Had some issues with the memory, system wouldn't post when the memory was installed per the MB manual, so I pulled one DIMM, and it posted fine. I put the DIMM back into a different slot, and also worked fine. So either I've got a bad DIMM slot, or the way the manual suggests staggering them is a bad thing.

Sounds like it's an issue with the CPU memory controller or with something on the board. I bet that it fails whenever it's in dual channel mode, and by mixing up the slot configuration you forced it into single channel mode. Might want to do some additional testing while you can still RMA things, if necessary.

IIRC, in dual channel mode the RAM gets run at faster timings too, so maybe that's part of it. I guess that depends on the sticks in question, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ah poo poo. Kind of funny though right?

Relief that it wasn't the TB like I was starting to think.

And it has a 3 year warranty, suck it SAC :smug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raluek posted:

Sounds like it's an issue with the CPU memory controller or with something on the board. I bet that it fails whenever it's in dual channel mode, and by mixing up the slot configuration you forced it into single channel mode. Might want to do some additional testing while you can still RMA things, if necessary.

IIRC, in dual channel mode the RAM gets run at faster timings too, so maybe that's part of it. I guess that depends on the sticks in question, though.

It's an LGA 1151 Z170 chipset motherboard. The manual says to put two DIMMs into slots A2 and B2, which won't post. I pulled the B2 DIMM and it posted fine. I put the other DIMM into A1, so that they are now in A1 and A2, and it posts fine. The memory is CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200). Another interesting thing is that the BIOS shows the memory at 2133mhz, where I thought 2400 was the native speed for the Skylake board, but I could be completely wrong about that, I'll have to do some more research.

I really don't want to RMA this because it would be a huge pain in the rear end, but I'll play with different configurations and see what I can figure out. I might contact Newegg and see if I can purchase a replacement and then have them credit this one if it looks like it's a problem. Still a pain in the rear end to rebuild the system, but at least I wouldn't be completely down for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Relief that it wasn't the TB like I was starting to think.

And it has a 3 year warranty, suck it SAC :smug:

Did you update your thread?

Go update your thread.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I just looked up the manual for the ASUS Z170-A, and it says to do what you did. Try A1 and B1; if that works, it's a bad slot. If it doesn't, it's something else and likely is activated by being in dual channel mode (equal capacities on channel A and B). With both on channel A, some of the available bandwidth is not being used. I'll have to check XHD for those sticks and see if they behave differently in single and dual channel.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raluek posted:

I just looked up the manual for the ASUS Z170-A, and it says to do what you did. Try A1 and B1; if that works, it's a bad slot. If it doesn't, it's something else and likely is activated by being in dual channel mode (equal capacities on channel A and B). With both on channel A, some of the available bandwidth is not being used. I'll have to check XHD for those sticks and see if they behave differently in single and dual channel.

Thanks, I'll try all the possible combinations tomorrow and keep track of what works and doesn't, and then contact Newegg and see how they want to handle it. Not looking forward to taking this all apart and putting it back together again. Was a pain to get everything routed and hooked up right.

Edit:

Photo taken with memory in configuration that wouldn't post.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 5, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

Fiber is getting faster too, although I don't know if that is happening proportionally with copper.

Sure, there are new designations in the 802.3 standard for 40 GbE fiber (and I'm sure more at higher speeds than that), but IIRC they're projected for implementation in 2017 and I'd be stunned if they're widely available before the end of the decade.

literally a fish posted:

Keep in mind that most ISP-grade fibre isn't ethernet at layer-2, it's PON which isn't the same. Fibre is never going away in the carrier world, not until we work out how to break the speed of light anyway.

I've been in a few datacenters that had internal links using fiber instead of twisted pair, I'm assuming for bandwidth purposes because none of them were large enough to require fiber for long runs. I'm sure it would be less expensive to install a 10 GbE switch and run CAT-7 in such a situation.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Fiber is getting faster too, although I don't know if that is happening proportionally with copper. I think you can use the same fiber runs and just switch the equipment, too. Since bandwidth needs aren't going down I kind of figured that both are going to continue to be used in similar scenarios.

Yep. I work for a really big service provider and with the advances in optical transport technology it's cheaper to replace the equipment at either end of an inter-office fiber circuit than it is to pound new cable into the ground. I work for the mobility side of the company now, but when I was working on the wireline side we were beginning to install equipment with the ability to multiplex 88 10Gbps channels onto a single fiber circuit, or use the circuit to carry a 40Gbps or 100Gbps channel.

literally a fish posted:

PON is used in the last mile for FTTP service, not the backbone. It's not really a protocol, either. Most new backbone fiber equipment uses the G.709 OTN protocol at the physical layer; older equipment uses SONET.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

I've been in a few datacenters that had internal links using fiber instead of twisted pair, I'm assuming for bandwidth purposes because none of them were large enough to require fiber for long runs. I'm sure it would be less expensive to install a 10 GbE switch and run CAT-7 in such a situation.

As 40gbps Ethernet and 100gbps Ethernet are things over fibre, but AFAIK not yet on copper, that makes sense :P

zundfolge posted:

Yep. I work for a really big service provider and with the advances in optical transport technology it's cheaper to replace the equipment at either end of an inter-office fiber circuit than it is to pound new cable into the ground. I work for the mobility side of the company now, but when I was working on the wireline side we were beginning to install equipment with the ability to multiplex 88 10Gbps channels onto a single fiber circuit, or use the circuit to carry a 40Gbps or 100Gbps channel.

PON is used in the last mile for FTTP service, not the backbone. It's not really a protocol, either. Most new backbone fiber equipment uses the G.709 OTN protocol at the physical layer; older equipment uses SONET.

I was referring to the last mile, yes, and the PON family of connection procotols, specifically G.984, the ITU-T GPON specification. I worded that poorly, sorry, I was in the middle of provisioning a new server :v:

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I'll try all the possible combinations tomorrow and keep track of what works and doesn't, and then contact Newegg and see how they want to handle it. Not looking forward to taking this all apart and putting it back together again. Was a pain to get everything routed and hooked up right.

Edit:Photo taken with memory in configuration that wouldn't post.

Try both black slots as opposed to both grey slots. Usually you want to use every 2nd slot, starting with the one closest to the CPU.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

literally a fish posted:

Try both black slots as opposed to both grey slots. Usually you want to use every 2nd slot, starting with the one closest to the CPU.

Yep, I'll try that tomorrow along with all other combo's. I only went with the grey slots because that's what the manual showed as the preferential placement for 2 DIMMs. My instinct was to use the other pair first, but I was being silly and reading the manual because I haven't kept up with hardware changes at all for the last few years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BloodBag posted:

My buddy, who's a hardcore STP fan saw them just recently and he said of the experience 'Scott Weiland is dead to me' :stare:

He said that he was a hollow shell of his former self. He's seen them since the beginning live, so he has a point of reference. He said that his vocals were so off and he had no more energy.

I was listening to Sixx Sense on the radio tonight. Jenn interviewed him sometime in the somewhat recent past, and said pretty much the same - just a shell of himself, and that he was visibly weak and shaking, with his voice shaky too.

Addiction is a hell of a thing.

I found an interview of him from two days ago on HuffPost. He looks a hell of a lot older than he is.. well, was.

Fart Pipe posted:

Also Im really bummed about Scott Weiland since STP was like my childhood. Reminds me of driving around in my Galaxie and poo poo. Gonna have to blast some STP today :(

I discovered STP in high school myself.... Core and Purple were both frequently in my CD player. Interstate Love Song is what got me into them to begin with, and still one of my favorites.

Preoptopus posted:

Did Chicago for 4 years. Glad I did it, but glad im out. I should say in the end, Chicago did me.

I'm pretty much done with big cities after spending half my life in DFW metro. I know it's got nothing on NYC or Chicago, but I'd be a lot happier in a smaller city. If nothing else, because of the loving traffic. Also, Dallas is corrupt as poo poo, with constant political scandals and lawsuits. I'm sure every city has its share of corruption, but it seems like Dallas (the city itself) is especially heavy.

Geoj posted:

You can do 10 GbE over CAT6 for short distances too. 6A can do it for up to 100 meters.

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit, going to a concert is supposed to be fun, and yeah there's going to be some bumping and moshing and whatnot at the front. But there's a huge difference between good-natured bumping and mean-spirited shoving and barging in.

So far, most of the pits I've been in have been awesome. The only real "oops" I've had is when someone shoved me when I wasn't expecting it and I landed on my rear end; someone else grabbed me and hauled me back up immediately. Guy who knocked me down even apologized.

Didn't bother me, I expect to leave a good pit with a few bruises. I've even seen bands stop playing when they see someone fall and start yelling "PICK HIM UP!" (I think that was Anti-Flag that did that).

I've seen someone get dropped on their head when they tried to crowd surf from the edge of the crowd though. Dude landed probably 6 feet from me and got his bell run bad. Never crowd surf from the far edge of the crowd....

leica posted:

Dayco, Gates, or Goodyear for me, I won't touch anything else. Gates and Goodyear are my preferred brands, Dayco is usually easier to find though.

literally a fish posted:

As 40gbps Ethernet and 100gbps Ethernet are things over fibre, but AFAIK not yet on copper, that makes sense :P

I'm pretty sure 40 is on copper now (CAT7, maybe CAT6A too?), but for pretty short distances.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 5, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

literally a fish posted:

Seconding this - I just built two extremely similar rigs (i5 z170 corsair ram) and went with old muscle memory, inserting them in that order. Worked great.

The only issues I had came with z170/win7 usb driver fuckery as mentioned earlier (tldr: use the included mobo driver CD) and a noob mistake involving multiple monitor/display output settings.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I dated a girl who claimed to be cousins to Scott Weiland's model wife back in the early 2000's, she met him at a family bbq. She said he was clearly high as a kite all the time but was a fantastically nice guy in person and really loved his kids.

Hey Scott, ask if you can bring a friend.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rad is in, but the fans don't engage now. Or perhaps it didn't get hot enough, who knows. Or maybe the coolant temp sensor is gunked up by residual atf? Also, dropped the tranny pan enough to let some drain out and its a beautiful dark blood red. No pink milkshake from the AT cooler in the radiator failing. I also have an excuse to buy the nice set of metric ratcheting wrenches at work. :toot:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

JohnTV, the vigilante weirdo whose mission in life is to capture on film prostitution in Oklahoma City, has upgraded to drone technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJ9pzZS3ao&t=252s
Frankly, it's a hilariously effective and invasive use of drones. The launch and hunting around takes me back to when I first played Ghost Record Advanced Warfighter.

Maybe if he stopped wasting his pathetic excuse of a life and got off his rear end to help legalise prostitution? Most of the human trafficing and pimping issues.... disappear! And honestly, if those issues are in the main okay then who gives a gently caress what any consenting adult does when paying for sex?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
rheydf obut ofiebn did btjid bot id nt edofinbt/

tjust bugtticjkdkr doresfren fojeneredithig doitnign.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

rheydf obut ofiebn did btjid bot id nt edofinbt/

tjust bugtticjkdkr doresfren fojeneredithig doitnign.

I agree. That's quite the bitch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
oikownwrifht. fick if thsid fgoetting poo poo shfoir me ijantomoyre anfterkm toneits

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did a complete bachelor thing and swapped out my bed for a futon. :ohdear:

The bed was a lumpy, stained, smelly horrorshow though. I don't even want to think about how many bodily fluids it had in it... and being a pillowtop, you couldn't just flip it and pretend everything was gone (the other side was rock hard.. unlike me).

The futon is actually pretty drat comfortable. Especially for $300. Completely lovely frame, but the mattress is easily what most of the cost was, and I can replace the frame whenever it starts sagging with one from Amazon. It's also cat approved.

Adiabatic posted:

oikownwrifht. fick if thsid fgoetting poo poo shfoir me ijantomoyre anfterkm toneits

The sad part is I can actually figure out most of what he's saying.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

That was pretty amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Fiber ain't goin' anywhere, and very few Datacenter Architects want to do short haul 10GbE over copper, when Fiber is going to give better latency.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

poo poo sucks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I feel like Keanu the first time he sees red read the matrix code

• Locked thread