Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did we ever find out if Noredo was related to the Space Pope since they share the same name actually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ep. 9 down, Aida really needs to get her poo poo together. But at least she's aware of it.

This piecemealing of why Capital's been indoctrinated into ignoring the threat from space (whatever it is) is a fun game

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What's the difference between a mobile suit and mobile armor?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Erg posted:

a mobile armor is non-humanoid, basically

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

or very big.

Both the zeta gundam and the psyco gundam have humanoid and non-humanoid forms, but zeta is a mobile suit and psyco is a mobile armor simply because it's way bigger

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I am only mostly joking when I say this but it's a Mobile Armor because it has a tragic Newtype girl in it

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

muike posted:

I am only mostly joking when I say this but it's a Mobile Armor because it has a tragic Newtype girl in it

This is mostly true, but you're forgetting the Big Zam. Only the manliest of men pilots one of those bad boys.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mobile Armors are monsters of the week.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Missing Link posted:

This is mostly true, but you're forgetting the Big Zam. Only the manliest of men pilots one of those bad boys.

That's the reason why it wasn't mass produced. Not enough manly men to pilot them.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

no they're boss monsters

or minibosses if nobody important's driving them

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Only true men can appreciate the Bigro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When the Big Zam started to crumble, loving Dozle got out and started firing a tommy gun at the Gundam out of sheer spite.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Never forget the Big Rang, which is a Bigro strapped to an ammunition factory for battlefield restocking.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Missing Link posted:

Also 0083.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

muike posted:

It's more like if Mobile Suits are giant soldiers, then Mobile Armour are relatively-scaled tanks and artillery pieces.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also, yes.

tsob posted:

G-Reco implies that the major powers weren't fighting for something like a thousand years though. And that coming out of a major crisis that created a lot of resource problems. Which seems like the kind of thing that'd create conflict. I am not, by the way saying that the show is bad for using this scenario because the show justifies it which is all that's important - just that any scenario where the whole world is at peace for something like a millenia is more unrealistic than 20 meter tall robots, psychic space conversations and so on to me.

Up until now, everyone's been kept in check by Capital Tower giving every nation equitable distribution of Photon Batteries. Every nation's kept the peace for nearly a millenia, because otherwise Daddy Gets Mad and their people starve in blackouts. Even the current war took some real nudging to kick off from outside factions, along with passing out the Rose of Hermes blueprints like candy.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ep. 13 finally puts some faces to the threat from space, which is nice. Aida might be bad at the whole fighting thing, but I do like that she just went "fuckit let's go to the moon"

Also evil commander's little scurry out when the negotiators arrived was pretty funny. I'm guessing he's a deserter from the moon or something?

coop52
May 10, 2009

Frozen Teardrop's final chapter was published in this past Gundam Ace. I'm pretty surprised seeing as most of the last few chapters have been flashback material and the Mars plot only finally seemed to be going anywhere. I'm assuming there's some behind the scenes stuff going on that caused the ending to be so rushed. Summary below in spoiler tags for those who care:

-There's a bunch of battles, culminating in a massive one at the end where it's all the good guys vs. Holo-Zechs in Epyon and 500 Virgos. The battle's finished when Heero uses the gold arrow, which is some sort of anti-nanomachine nonsense that stops all the bad dudes. Snow White's cloak was torn so maybe we'll actually get artwork for it.
-There's a plan to stop the PPP by using a massive EMP weapon, but Trowa/Quatre/Catherine manage to get the password for the system from Holo-Zechs.
-Relena gets the death penalty and is killed by Heero (jk it was a hologram)
-Lady Une comes to Mars with Alpha, who apparently was working with her in the background the entire time. It's revealed that there's a bunch of clones in the Earth Sphere and that Marimeia is actually a clone of Leia Barton, not Leia's and Treize's daughter.
-Duo becomes the President of Mars with Alpha as his aide. Hilde hasn't signed the divorce papers so they're still married.
-Wufei and Vignt are going to rebuild OZ.
-Zech's is going to stay on Mars with his family and become a farmer.
-The final scene is Heero proposing to Relena by letter

There's also supposed to be an epilogue in the art book that's coming out at the end of the month.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

Ep. 13 finally puts some faces to the threat from space, which is nice. Aida might be bad at the whole fighting thing, but I do like that she just went "fuckit let's go to the moon"

Also evil commander's little scurry out when the negotiators arrived was pretty funny. I'm guessing he's a deserter from the moon or something?

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that before. "I... forgot... a thing... BYE!"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
So how much continuity is there between the various late UC series? Does any of the late UC status quo get mentioned in G-Reco? I'm inexplicably curious even though most of my Gundam exposure is through this thread.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

So how much continuity is there between the various late UC series? Does any of the late UC status quo get mentioned in G-Reco? I'm inexplicably curious even though most of my Gundam exposure is through this thread.

G-reco doesn't make any direct references to any late UC series.

You can watch both F91 and Victory independently of one another, but Crossbone is a sequel to F91 and eventually becomes a sidestory to Victory.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Okay so I've been out of touch with Gundam since basically SEED Destiny ended and 00 lost my interest around the second season. But IBO is really drat good and I want to catch up on what I've missed, which if I count correctly is Unicorn, Build Fighters/TRY and G-Recon. AGE I've already seen a whole bunch of posts about so I'm gonna skip.

Droyer posted:

This isn't really the place for it but if you ask in the general gundam thread i'll be happy to explain what makes build fighters good
Consider me asking. :)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pierson posted:

Okay so I've been out of touch with Gundam since basically SEED Destiny ended and 00 lost my interest around the second season. But IBO is really drat good and I want to catch up on what I've missed, which if I count correctly is Unicorn, Build Fighters/TRY and G-Recon. AGE I've already seen a whole bunch of posts about so I'm gonna skip.

Consider me asking. :)

You are right in that build fighters is pretty shamelessly a toy commercial, so if that is a dealbreaker you might not enjoy it. What makes build fighters good is partially that many of the fights are amazing, and that the characters are fun and bounce off each other well. Instead of thinking of it as a gundam show, think of it as a sports anime where the sport is robot fighting.

TRY however is not very good, with an overall weaker and poorly used cast, and less fun fights.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Build Fighters is essentially about competitive video game players that play a Gundam fighting game. Except instead of a video game they fight with Gundam toys that are able to move with some magical particle bullshit.

A lot of people really like the goofy characters and the light-hearted plot, though personally I think the whole thing isn't written very well. Still, it's got solid action and a genuinely good OST.

The sequel series, Build Fighters Try, is the same thing but worse in all aspects.

E;fb.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The amount of love and care that went into Build Fighters's fight choreography trumps the vast majority of robot shows out there; the show has like half a dozen fights that would put the big finales of many shows to shame. The cast is great and fun, the story is silly and entertaining, and it's simply a fantastic product all around. It's not deep serious war drama like most Gundam is(or is supposed to be), but it's not at all trying to be that way and it goes its own way.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I can't agree with that. When I watched it with a friend we referred to it as 'Budget Fighters' because of how little budget obviously went into the first half of the series, and too many fights in the second half devolved into 'throw away your weapons and just get into a punching fight with the enemy'.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I really liked Build Fighters as an intro to the series.

And G. Reco is cool and extremely pretty. Like woah

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

And G. Reco is cool and extremely pretty. Like woah

I really like how G-reco looks. The vibrant colors are really cool

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

I can't agree with that. When I watched it with a friend we referred to it as 'Budget Fighters' because of how little budget obviously went into the first half of the series, and too many fights in the second half devolved into 'throw away your weapons and just get into a punching fight with the enemy'.

uhhhhh it looked like a lot of budget went into it to me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

I am legitimately curious what Gundam TV series you're comparing it to at that point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Budget doesn't quite translate to battle quality though. Look at Victory: terrible budget, amazing fights.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good storyboarding can really go a long way too, but Build Fighters was for the most part consistently nice and even the worst parts of it were not so weak as to be embarrassing, which is more than what can be said of plenty of Gundam TV shows prior to that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GBF's first season also included that rarest of things in Gundam - fun, cute romance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Good storyboarding can really go a long way too, but Build Fighters was for the most part consistently nice and even the worst parts of it were not so weak as to be embarrassing, which is more than what can be said of plenty of Gundam TV shows prior to that.

Yeah, BF had a couple of legitimately crap fights (SBS vs GXMaoh being a great example here) but they were by far the exception.

It's also worth remembering that out recent television output has been Gundam "Stock Footage" SEED, Gundam "we don't need to animate things moving" 00, and Gundam "Hahahaha" AGE. G-Reco is probably the best television show in terms of combat since then and even then its more due to strong storyboarding with dynamic scenes rather than high-budget animation. IBO has been reasonably good (but a little on the Gundam 00 side) but has also had like 3.5 fights in 10 episodes. Which is not a bad thing but still.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 7, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish I could find that one clip of the laughable fight in 00 S2 which contained a lot of extreme camera spinning to hide the fact that nothing was moving

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I wish I could find that one clip of the laughable fight in 00 S2 which contained a lot of extreme camera spinning to hide the fact that nothing was moving

It's not from S2 but...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gundam shows still usually have pretty good fights. G Gundam used over-the-top moves and characters to carry the show, Gundam Wing had bad fights but amazing still frames (very stylized), I can't remember a single fight in Gundam X but the fun characters was basically the only reasons to watch the show (not enough Mad Max in this post-apoc anime) and the problems with most post-2000 shows have already been mentioned. The rest are usually good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best in-joke was Destiny literally flipping the Freedom's beam spin upside down, and then that became a separate attack in SRW.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still hold the original Gundam's fights pretty high. Nonexistent budget but it's the only show that has a Zaku kick a ball into a GM, or the goddamn amazing RX-78 vs 8 Rick Doms and 3 Musais fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Or Kai Shinden kicking down that Zaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I've been rewatching plenty of AGE. On paper it must have been the nerdiest, greatest thing: starship troopers meets ender's game meets a jrpg. I wish someone would just rewrite the whole story. The grunt kits are some of the best in HG form.