Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sunshine is physically bright as well, and as your percent completion rises, the game actually gets brighter and higher contrast to the point where you can put sunglasses on Mario to make it darker again if it starts to hurt your eyes. Which I guess is a little thing in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HPanda posted:

I've never played Sunshine, but Galaxy is very much Super Mario 64 without those first-gen 3D camera problems.

Do the camera controls make fun noises? This is important.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

Do the camera controls make fun noises? This is important.

No :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HPanda posted:

I've never played Sunshine, but Galaxy is very much Super Mario 64 without those first-gen 3D camera problems.

The camera in Galaxy was pretty bad though, it would frequently get stuck behind planetoids and random geometry, which would also completely gently caress with your controls. I favor Sunshine because it was a lot like Mario 64 with big stages and a small amount of freedom to what you do in those stages. Galaxy's stages were just full of pitfalls and one hit kill gravity wells all over the place, I never felt especially interested in visiting each galaxy more than once. :shrug:

CJacobs posted:

Sunshine is physically bright as well, and as your percent completion rises, the game actually gets brighter and higher contrast to the point where you can put sunglasses on Mario to make it darker again if it starts to hurt your eyes. Which I guess is a little thing in its own right.

You could also get a hawiian print shirt for him when your completion got high enough. The shirt did nothing but look silly, and the guy who gave you the shirt and glasses was in most, if not all of, the stages near the beginning.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought he was in the hub world.

Yeah Galaxy's great fun but the levels are much more distincly linear. Mario 64 had you run around big environments where you could explore and maybe even come across a different star than you went in for, in Galaxy it's more like they lay out specific courses using the same assets. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

He's everywhere since you have to talk to him to also turn it off, so I think they just put him around so you could toggle it on and off as you see fit.

Galaxy felt more like they were trying to make a 3D classic mario game, with long flat stages instead of sprawling worlds and poo poo. I just couldn't get into the stage design for the most part and the gravity gimmick drove me up the wall, I can't think of a time I've ever liked it in games. My favorite little thing in Galaxy 2, though is the remake of Whomp's Fortress :shepface: I really hoped that it was a teaser to a full remake of Mario 64.

In constrast, no matter how many people I've heard say Fludd was annoying and a stupid gimmick, I loved it. It gave you great control over the platforming in that game and the hover power was always a great save when you screwed up so you wouldn't have to redo whole stages when you fell to the bottom of a climb.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel the same way about FLUDD, much like I do about Yoshi's flutter jump in Yoshi's Island. And, come to think of it, Peach in SMB2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

My Lovely Horse posted:

He's in the hub world and in every outdoor daylight stage since the shades and shirt don't carry through stage transitions. He's only not present in Sirena Beach, half of Pianta Village, and I think Noki Bay.

And yeah, Galaxy's a very different sort of thing to 64 and Sunshine. Not in a bad way, and you'll probably still enjoy the game all the same, but they are different. If you're really enjoying the openness of 64 I'd say give Sunshine a look, but also try out Banjo-Kazooie if possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Fludd was so good that doing the challenge levels without it frustrated me as a kid.

I loved the rollercoaster ride in the theme park :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fludd was so good that doing the challenge levels without it frustrated me as a kid.

I loved the rollercoaster ride in the theme park :allears:

The word "secret" is a killing word for Sunshine players. Again...and again... and again... stupid Mario, sliding as he lands and falling off the edge. Again. :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The word "secret" is a killing word for Sunshine players. Again...and again... and again... stupid Mario, sliding as he lands and falling off the edge. Again. :argh:

Infinitely worse were the super hard secret stages in the hub world. Most people tend to cite the pachinko stage as their least favorite but I will always hate the poison river you have to take a forever boat ride with a yoshi to reach.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the trainer sprites in pokemon alpha sapphire are pretty funny.

Ninja Boy

Bug Maniac

Pokemaniac is the best

THAT LOOK OF POKÉECSTASY

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HPanda posted:

Only it has the awful rear end Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Just Cause 3 I was attacking a base and an enemy helicopter was called in, I'd grappled onto it but rather than stealing it I just hung underneath it (so I could shoot rockets from a good vantage point) and the pilot shouts to Rico "Get your own helicopter!"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm replaying Super Mario 64 (it's pretty relaxing!) and my favourite 'little thing' has to be the soundtrack and ambience. It's just so cheerful and pleasant, despite being what amounts to polyphonic ringtones.

Listen to this vaporwave future classic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6nOkdeNKs

It's hard to have a bad time in that game. Are sunshine/galaxy comparable?

I found Galaxy 2 to be a total joy. It had a lot of really solid and fun tracks too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pir3sZ8syek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5yZEGPn_Q

There's even a remix of the athletic theme from the older mario games.
And this should sound particularly familiar.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Both super mario sunshine and galaxy are fabulous but in different ways. The controls are incredibly slick in both games and the stage structure plays to their strengths well, with the water gun's 3 different kinds of mobility making it better suited to open levels and galaxy's gravity mechanics better working with linear levels as you jump to different planetoids one by one.

Galaxy also had some very good traditional levels without much gravity fuckery though. I guess those levels made people wish the whole game was like that which is why so many people complain that the levels weren't as open as in 64 and sunshine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

Just Cause 3 I was attacking a base and an enemy helicopter was called in, I'd grappled onto it but rather than stealing it I just hung underneath it (so I could shoot rockets from a good vantage point) and the pilot shouts to Rico "Get your own helicopter!"

A similar thing happened to me when attacking a propaganda truck. He was doing his thing like normal and then when I jumped on top he started shouting at me through the intercom.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Did RE6 just get a rerelease that I missed or are people just now coming around to how incomprehensibly fun that game can be?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Beastie posted:

Did RE6 just get a rerelease that I missed or are people just now coming around to how incomprehensibly fun that game can be?

Steam had all the Resident Evil games on sale last weekend and RE6 was at the lowest price it's ever been offered on there so a lot of people probably took the plunge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Beastie posted:

I'm assuming it went on sale recently.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Sunshine had the best death music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCQxRMpGxI

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I just started Xenoblade Chronicles X. Your character is mostly silent, but you get to choose a voice for their combat barks.

The neat thing is, they list the voice actor next to each voice option. It's a really forward facing way to credit the actors. Plus, for anime/JRPG dorks, it's a handy shorthand for choosing your character's voice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arstan posted:

I just started Xenoblade Chronicles X. Your character is mostly silent, but you get to choose a voice for their combat barks.

The neat thing is, they list the voice actor next to each voice option. It's a really forward facing way to credit the actors. Plus, for anime/JRPG dorks, it's a handy shorthand for choosing your character's voice.

The real neat detail is that one of the voice options is "Classic", which is Shulk's VA :allears:.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In game with tons of great characters Catarina Sforza may be the best:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It's what she was kinda semi famous for saying IRL too supposedly to contemporary accounts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Just Cause 3 whenever you blow up a military base there's a radio announcement (voiced by David Tennant) where they try and spin the destruction as a planned act, like blowing up a base because it had black mold.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
In that same DLC, there's a bit where Caterina stands at a gate cursing those dudes out for several minutes straight. I just stood around with Ezio, watching in wonder, rather than do whatever game task I was meant to do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In whichever game it is that has Ben Franklin you can get him to deliver a long monologue on the benefits of sleeping with older women, which is also something that happened in real life.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That was rear end Creed 3, I think.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For all the faults that series has had over the years, the interesting NPCs are definitely not one of them. There's a random line you get in AC2 when you're parkouring around the rooftops where a guy remarks "He must be late - and she must be beautiful" and it's probably my favorite piece of random chatter ever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

In whichever game it is that has Ben Franklin you can get him to deliver a long monologue on the benefits of sleeping with older women, which is also something that happened in real life.

If you want more Ben Franklin, he's also a moderately-prominent character in AC:Rogue.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

flatluigi posted:

For all the faults that series has had over the years, the interesting NPCs are definitely not one of them. There's a random line you get in AC2 when you're parkouring around the rooftops where a guy remarks "He must be late - and she must be beautiful" and it's probably my favorite piece of random chatter ever

That line nearly got as irritating as "arrow in the knee" because I heard it constantly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really hope that the AC series doesn't die until they reach WWII, if only to see Ubisoft handle Hitler and The Holocaust with the feather-light touch they're known for.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Sleeveless posted:

I really hope that the AC series doesn't die until they reach WWII, if only to see Ubisoft handle Hitler and The Holocaust with the feather-light touch they're known for.

Yeah so, they already touched on Hitler back in the second game. :v:

Assassin's Creed 2 posted:

By the 1930s, Hitler was under the influence of the Templar Order, obtaining an Apple of Eden from Templar industrialist Henry Ford, intending for him to use it to start World War II. Alongside fellow Templar puppet Joseph Stalin, Hitler brought on the turmoil and fear necessary for Abstergo Industries to take control of the working population.

On 30 April 1945, at the end of the war, Hitler executed his body double inside the Führerbunker and planned to meet Winston Churchill with the Apple of Eden at a rendezvous point. However, upon leaving the bunker, Hitler was killed by the Assassins.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
huh so the assassins were just literally waiting outside the Fuhrerbunker waiting to stab Hitler huh? Well poo poo, I can't say I don't see that happening considering all the tailing and waiting in those games. Grats on Ubisoft for intermeshing gameplay and lore in a way that preserves my verisimilitude.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nohman posted:

Why even have him execute the body double if they are going to kill him moments later anyway

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

codenameFANGIO posted:

Why even have him execute the body double if they are going to kill him moments later anyway

most likely poetic irony.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inco posted:

That line nearly got as irritating as "arrow in the knee" because I heard it constantly.

"What a strange man."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nohman posted:

i thought this was just a joke in the imp zone thread. holy poo poo that's great.

Sleeveless posted:

Anne Frank's Diary Entry (11/50)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

codenameFANGIO posted:

The Assassins killed him. Hitler was a Templar and the Templar's had him kill his body double to fake his death,