Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think Alteisen is going a bit overboard but I do tend to agree TWI balance changes tend to be big and sweeping and this isn't always a positive. Also balancing can involve strengthening as well as weakening, but with the exception of zerker's total revamp and um ???? it's usually been in the nerf direction, right?

I thought they were doing alright with the direction they took with the I&D beta (get player input -> revert truly horrific support change idea) and I'm still disappointed to not see one here here.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you're worried about demo single-target damage, up the damage of direct impacts, especially for the RPG. (Keep a theoretical m36 with low impact damage and velocity so you can arc it fairly well into the center of mobs) You could decrease the damage close to the center of the blast while keeping the peripheral damage relatively similar if you wanted, too. Coupled with the weapon changes I suggested above, you'd keep demo as a good class for clumps and high threat targets while keeping them weaker to mid-tier targets, leaving a good niche for gunslingers and commandos. If they wanted, they could opt to take the M36 for increased power against middle stuff/mobs instead of slamming an rpg into a FP's face.

But that's silly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ruggington posted:

yeah it and the m1911 are real bad
Apparently M1911 of theirs uses black powder, but even then it's not supposed to sound like cannon.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I really wish they would balance around spawn rates and amounts more than nerfing skills and weapons into the ground and learn the meaning of the word "moderation" beyond their forums. I like to kill zeds. Killing zeds if a LOT of fun. I think they should try to maximize zed death in relation to weapons and skills "carrying capacity of zed death" rather than the other way around. Having to worry about ammo beyond the top tier stuff for top tier baddies is not that fun when it is really strained. Should have enough to finish a wave comfortably if I wasn't wasting entire mags one one large group. Healing skills should be able to keep up with the game.

Tokubetsu posted:

The new 9mm sound is horrible. Like really really bad. Why did they change it?

Probably to give it a popgun noise to go with it's popgun damage.

Is it just me or is there a lack of tracers with the old-timey revolvers?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think my favorite gunslinger loadout so far is:

Primary - Dual M1911, Dual 1858 Revolver
Secondary - Single Magnum Revolver, Dual 9mm

You get a poo poo-ton of trash killing power between the 9mm and 1911s, and the revolvers are for head popping the medium sized zeds like Sirens/Husks/bloats. The magnum in particular wrecks heads like nothing else.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

also balancing can involve strengthening as well as weakening, but with the exception of zerker's total revamp and um ???? it's usually been in the nerf direction, right?

They buffed the M1014. And, uh... they buffed every gun that doesn't have a flashlight by just giving us body flashlights. They buffed...

...oh I guess that vampire skill for zerk got a buff this patch. It is mostly nerfing, though, which is lame and usually not fun. Necessary at times, sure, but largely not fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Broose posted:

learn the meaning of the word "moderation" beyond their forums.

:lol: that's funny but mean

but yeah have some confidence small changes can have big effects. It's a true thing!

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Is there a way to bind individual weapons to individual keys? Just wiped because I couldn't pull out my dualie 1911s in time while surrounded by crawlers because of how insanely awkward trying to tap 1 PRECISELY 3 TIMES to pull out the weapon I need to not die there and then is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloodmobile posted:

Is there a way to bind individual weapons to individual keys? Just wiped because I couldn't pull out my dualie 1911s in time while surrounded by crawlers because of how insanely awkward trying to tap 1 PRECISELY 3 TIMES to pull out the weapon I need to not die there and then is.

Yeah, while normally the system doesn't give me much issue switching weapons, when you have the luxury of carrying a bunch of (low ammo) guns at once suddenly that system sounds awkward as hell.

Swapping between two shotguns, a knife, and your 9mm/medic pistol is a lot simpler than "I have HOW MANY weapons in one slot?"

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's the drop rate for skins and items supposed to be? Haven't gotten anything at all in the time it's taken to level Gunslinger to 6 :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Alteisen posted:

I mean I don't know what difficulties you guys play in but that armor and healing can be all difference between life and death especially with Hans melee rush so insanely out of control(saw a bud die to it last night at 90% health, on hard), that poo poo is overtuned to gently caress.

And BECAUSE of this poo poo track record yea, I don't have an ounce of faith on Tripwire balancing anything or bringing classes in line, they'll just nerf the gunslinger to "bring it in line" with the other classes.

Dude, Hans calls out when he's going to the "I am going to kill you" combo, he literally shouts "Time to die!" and looks at the target. Just switch to the knife and start running/blocking and you will survive it even if as an unarmored character.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Did they do something to recoil mechanics? Bullets are coming out of my gun at 45 degree angles at times and it is really weird looking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think this is a bug: When you pull out your syringe to do a quick-heal, even though you don't actually select or equip it, it overrides your previous last-weapon and makes it your last-weapon. So, y'know, I would like it if that was no longer the case.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ZearothK posted:

Dude, Hans calls out when he's going to the "I am going to kill you" combo, he literally shouts "Time to die!" and looks at the target. Just switch to the knife and start running/blocking and you will survive it even if as an unarmored character.

I've been killed by Hanz in some incredible ways, most of which make what you're suggesting impossible. I think the best one was last night on hard where he went invincible*, threw out smoke grenades, tried to grab someone and then failed, then lunged after me and killed me in three strikes that did 50 damage each. This all happened over about 4 seconds.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

ZearothK posted:

In theory this works, but in practice not so often.
Though you do feel like a badass if you manage to parry a Hans rush with a tiny scalpel until he aggros someone else or you are able to break LOS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is it me or does the new difficulty selector tab look like it has a blank space at the bottom underneath Hell on Earth? Has that always been there? Are we gonna get a Death Wish-esque batshit-hard difficulty? :o

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

moot the hopple posted:

What's the drop rate for skins and items supposed to be? Haven't gotten anything at all in the time it's taken to level Gunslinger to 6 :(

Get into a solo game and let yourself get killed by clots as soon as you begin, it seems that gives you a guaranteed drop the first time you do it. I got a box and I sold it for $5.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Azran posted:

Get into a solo game and let yourself get killed by clots as soon as you begin, it seems that gives you a guaranteed drop the first time you do it. I got a box and I sold it for $5.

Wow, this works. Ever after leveling gunslinger to 8 I had no drops. Of course I just got a .13 cent bandanna.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

LuciferMorningstar posted:

But I thought Tripwire carefully tested all their changes to ensure they were fun and balanced?!?

Don't forget that the press gets early access to....the early access game that we all paid money to....access early :xd:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

While I got a hat drop at the end of my first solo game on the new patch. I have no idea if there's any kind of consistency to it. I got a dollar for the hat, then immediately wished I'd asked for more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

glomkettle posted:

While I got a hat drop at the end of my first solo game on the new patch. I have no idea if there's any kind of consistency to it. I got a dollar for the hat, then immediately wished I'd asked for more.

ALWAYS sell at the lowest current price of the market, unless it's a single outlier (and even then, consider it if it's good enough)

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Azran posted:

ALWAYS sell at the lowest current price of the market, unless it's a single outlier (and even then, consider it if it's good enough)

There were no other ones on the market. I had to set the price and I figured "well, a dollar might be nice"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's one of the failings of the Steam market, there's no way to actually barter with someone. You can't post a comment on someone's listing saying you'll give them 3 dollars instead of 5 or whatever, you either do buy it or you don't and look for something else. So if someone wanted that thing for 3 dollars, well too bad, the only way to ask you if you'd sell it for 3 is for them to add you and personally speak to you about it, then for you to de-list and re-list it at the new price from your inventory page.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

glomkettle posted:

There were no other ones on the market. I had to set the price and I figured "well, a dollar might be nice"

Oh god, yeah, you messed up pretty badly there. I've seen nerds with way too much money buy first listing stuff for ANY price.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, i remember selling tf2 crates for 10 bucks the first day they dropped. 2 days later they were down to about 20 cents. 5 days later down to 1 cent. There are some insanely impatient people with more money than sense out there.

CJacobs posted:

That's one of the failings of the Steam market, there's no way to actually barter with someone. You can't post a comment on someone's listing saying you'll give them 3 dollars instead of 5 or whatever, you either do buy it or you don't and look for something else. So if someone wanted that thing for 3 dollars, well too bad, the only way to ask you if you'd sell it for 3 is for them to add you and personally speak to you about it, then for you to de-list and re-list it at the new price from your inventory page.
You can set buy orders for certain "commodity" items, although thats the exception.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Jesus The Patriarch is a seriously way more fun Boss than Hans.
Its creepy as gently caress too.
Something about the cloak really fucks with your head.
You can hear him but not see him. And his voice is so creepy.

Finally getting into the gunslinger groove.
Such a well made perk.

Good job Tripwire folks!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So after this patch I really love the menus and all, I just wish that the matchmaking map selection was a checklist instead of a single choice. I play with my buddies and while their pings are okay, their download speeds are atrocious, so we stick to basic maps so they don't have to download stuff. I'd like if I could select "just the base maps" (or maybe a few of the base AND some from the ones I have downloaded) in matchmaking and still be somewhat suprised with what pops up.
Same goes for the server browser, let me tick off a few maps instead of making me filter one by one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fought Patriarch for the first time today. He kicked my poo poo in. Pretty fun fight!

edit: "YOU MIGHT WANNA RUN AWAY NOW. :black101:" Followed by a hail of flaming missiles is awesome.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dittoing that the patriarch is a fun-rear end fight

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
What determines when fleshpounds become aggro'd without taking damage? I keep losing solo games on the final waves because multiple FPs simultaneously become permanently enraged for seemingly no reason.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bloodmobile posted:

What determines when fleshpounds become aggro'd without taking damage? I keep losing solo games on the final waves because multiple FPs simultaneously become permanently enraged for seemingly no reason.
Basically if they go too long without fighting they'll rage. I think shooting them will prevent this (unless you exceed the damage threshold to rage, of course)

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bloodmobile posted:

If they go to long without hitting somebody while somebody is in their line of sight, they'll rage. Also they'll rage if other Fleshpounds who are raging bump into them. They'll also be permanently raged if you let them stay alive while they were one of the last five or so zeds remaining.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
e: Whoops, didn't see someone already explained it. So don't leave fleshpounds for last, then.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 5, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gunslinger is cool but the sound effects on the 9mm is loving terrible. Don't really like the Desert Eagles either, but then I never like them in any game so. :shrug:

The revolvers are loving awesome though, as is Patriarch.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
After another couple games playing with gunslinger, the 1911 really sounds out of place. Like the bass is jacked up to max but the treble is low. It sounds so hollow yet it tries to bassy.

Now however I like to buy a 500 and use that to deal with sirens as a commando. Pops their head in one shot on normal at least. Haven't had a chance to play on a hard server yet.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I didn't see this in the changelog but it appears that they significantly reduced the amount of bling in the maps too. It's down to 9 from the 20-30 it was before. Or it maybe that the requirement changed but all the bling is still there, not entirely sure.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

I didn't see this in the changelog but it appears that they significantly reduced the amount of bling in the maps too. It's down to 9 from the 20-30 it was before. Or it maybe that the requirement changed but all the bling is still there, not entirely sure.

Bling amount is the same, but requirements are much lower.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
And word on that crash fix yet?
I haven't been able to finish a Farmhouse map yet. :(

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I finally got to fight the Pat. Holy gently caress is he so much better than Hans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Require More Fire posted:

I finally got to fight the Pat. Holy gently caress is he so much better than Hans.

Before the patch did Hans used to celebrate when he killed someone?
I never noticed before but he fires his guns into the air for a few seconds when he does now.
Gives you time to scurry away or unload into him.

Also Ragdolling Players is fun as gently caress. I got smacked across the room from the Pat the other day!