Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think people are trying to do that, but I can kind of see what you're getting at. Everyone isn't trying to justify why he did what he did, they're trying to rationalize what might go through the mind of a crazy person to rationalize it, or think of a way it might have been prevented. Like, maybe if someone had intervened and told the one coworker to drop his poo poo talking Islam, maybe it wouldn't have come to a head that day. Was it that guys fault? gently caress no, but in the mind of a crazy person it might have been the last straw that maybe could have been put off in time to catch on to what the shooters were planning.

Basically everyone is trying to warp their minds around this and nobody is trying to justify it, but again I can kind of see what you mean even though I don't think you're correct in your assumptions.

People aren't calling it radical islam and calling for nuclear war, so they are soft on this guy. That's all it his argument is. gently caress anything else, if you can't label this guy a radical isis soldier, you aren't being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pohl posted:

People aren't calling it radical islam and calling for nuclear war, so they are soft on this guy. That's all it his argument is. gently caress anything else, if you can't label this guy a radical isis soldier, you aren't being honest.

Excuse me, when did I say this?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

That quote doesn't agree with or support the killers either. Next? You are really bad at this.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Excuse me, when did I say this?

Now you know how it feels. Stop saying that people said something they didn't say.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pohl posted:

....you mean outside of the usual suspects. Like Trump and half the GOP and its constituents.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think people are trying to do that, but I can kind of see what you're getting at. Everyone isn't trying to justify why he did what he did, they're trying to rationalize what might go through the mind of a crazy person to rationalize it, or think of a way it might have been prevented. Like, maybe if someone had intervened and told the one coworker to drop his poo poo talking Islam, maybe it wouldn't have come to a head that day. Was it that guys fault? gently caress no, but in the mind of a crazy person it might have been the last straw that maybe could have been put off in time to catch on to what the shooters were planning.

Basically everyone is trying to warp their minds around this and nobody is trying to justify it, but again I can kind of see what you mean even though I don't think you're correct in your assumptions.

I think I'm just caught up on this because I will probably be volunteering at PP this year as part of a practicium, and it would really, really suck if something bad happened and Twitter blew up with it being justified because we were all future baby killers or something

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-i-dont-believe-san-bernardino-shooters-sister-was-unaware-of-plot/

Trump saying he doesn't believe the shooters sister was unaware the plot.

Some choice quotes there, but cutting and pasting is nigh impossible for me.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I think I'm just caught up on this because I will probably be volunteering at PP this year as part of a practicium, and it would really, really suck if something bad happened and Twitter blew up with it being justified because we were all future baby killers or something

That isn't going to happen. Good luck, enjoy your volunteer experience.

Edit: And seriously twitter? Who the hell cares about twitter? Twitter is a source of amusement, not a defining body of journalistic integrity, nor is it the overriding opinion of the populous. Why care about twitter?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2015

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Mickey Mental posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-i-dont-believe-san-bernardino-shooters-sister-was-unaware-of-plot/

Trump saying he doesn't believe the shooters sister was unaware the plot.

Some choice quotes there, but cutting and pasting is nigh impossible for me.

That's especially fun given that Trump has previously called for 'collective responsibility' of terrorists' families.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Literally The Worst posted:

dude got hella mad over a zoning dispute and turned a bulldozer into a tank that he unleashed on the town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

they shot more than 200 rounds of ammo at it and didn't make a scratch

This dude owns

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I like how you somehow jumped to the conclusion that people trying to understand the killings are saying "mass murder is OK by me :thumbsup:".

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DOOP posted:

This dude owns

Condoning an act of terrorism? That's a 'No Fly' (and sooner or later 'No Gun')

I actually haven't had reason to fly since before I attended Occupy - I wonder if one day I'll have a trip planned and find out I'm not going anywhere.

It's not necessarily a bad system - it is just presently opaque with little recourse. Reason and Justice - our founding principles - demand we account for this in the endless work toward a safer, saner world.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DOOP posted:

This dude owns

if y'all haven't seen a picture of the actual killdozer before, click that link. it's loving wild.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pohl posted:

That isn't going to happen. Good luck, enjoy your volunteer experience.

Edit: And seriously twitter? Who the hell cares about twitter? Twitter is a source of amusement, not a defining body of journalistic integrity, nor is it the overriding opinion of the populous. Why care about twitter?

You're right, they usually just take pictures of the people who volunteer there and put them on a website

ColdPie posted:

I like how you somehow jumped to the conclusion that people trying to understand the killings are saying "mass murder is OK by me :thumbsup:".

Those quotes went beyond just trying to understand the killings, but should probably be expected given this forum

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nope, still not seeing it.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ColdPie posted:

Okay, then we are going to have to disagree on the nature of those quotes then because I am not really sure how else to explain it to you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Okay, then we are going to have to disagree on the nature of those quotes then because I am not really sure how else to explain it to you

you could try speaking english

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ColdPie posted:

Well....there are multiple Pro-Life / Christian groups who have called for violence and condoned violence against volunteers and clinics. So its not that far out there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Please don't. Planned Parenthood has suffered enough. They don't deserve to have you inflicted on them as well.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Toshimo posted:

Please don't. Planned Parenthood has suffered enough. They don't deserve to have you inflicted on them as well.

Between this and the sexual innuendo on the last page, I have reached the conclusion that this place is kind of hosed up in the head and a waste of time

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Rygar201 posted:

Has anything important happened in Congress this month? gently caress if I'm sifting through 86 pages of "Are guns/Muslims bad?"

Yes! We got a $300 billion infrastructure bill passed! :D

Also repealed the ACA and defunded Planned Parenthood but that'll get vetoed.

I want to talk about infrastructure, let's do that!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yes! Infrastructure!

How would one start fixing America's bridges? I heard America's traffic are absolutely insane. Is there a reasonable way to redirect traffic for bridge-fixing?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Between this and the sexual innuendo on the last page, I have reached the conclusion that this place is kind of hosed up in the head and a waste of time

Granted uspol is bad even before your posting was included, but perhaps the problem lies within young grasshopper.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Silver Nitrate posted:

How much does federal funding matter for the quality of local roads? I thought the responsibility for that sort of thing largely shifted to the individual states back in the '80s.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Silver Nitrate posted:

Ofaloaf posted:

How much does federal funding matter for the quality of local roads? I thought the responsibility for that sort of thing largely shifted to the individual states back in the '80s.

Oh yeah, roads, too. Somehow 'infrastructure' becomes a synonym for 'bridges' in my head. What's the infrastructure in direst need of repair? Dams? Roads? Bridges? Pipes? Electric towers? God, there's so much to talk about!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

When you don't listen to what people are telling you and you're deliberately looking for something that isn't there despite people trying to explain it to you, yes it can seem warped. I wonder why.

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008

potato of destiny posted:

That's especially fun given that Trump has previously called for 'collective responsibility' of terrorists' families.

"So you would go after her?" host John Dickerson asked Trump.

"I would go after a lot of people and find out whether or not they knew. I'd be able to find out. Cause I don't believe the sister," he replied.

When Dickerson asked Trump whether he's worried about the possibility of creating more terrorists, Trump replied with a quick "No."

"We have to stop terrorists," Trump explained. "And the only way we're going to stop them, in my opinion, is that way. You know, they say they don't mind dying. I think they do mind dying. But I can tell you this. They want their families left alone. We have to stop terrorism."

az
Dec 2, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

When you don't listen to what people are telling you and you're deliberately looking for something that isn't there despite people trying to explain it to you, yes it can seem warped. I wonder why.

"Stop disagreeing me with, you people are weird."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Because people in this thread (and other people, for that matter) for some reason keep insinuating that it's okay to shoot a bunch of people over a political disagreement, a sentiment that I have read multiple times over the last two weeks which is kind of creepy?

Will you please stop loving saying this? You've been saying this poo poo for like 6 pages and it's not loving true. Trying to establish whether or not past verbal arguments were a motive in the murderer's choice of targets isn't the same as saying or implying that the argument-maker(s) got what they deserved. I can see why some people might think there could be a link or an implicit connection but everyone in this conversation has explicitly denied this and explained the difference multiple times now. Your concern trolling is annoying as gently caress.

Think of it this way. If a person takes out a huge life insurance plan and a spouse, seeing the financial benefit to murdering them does so, does establishing the monetary benefit as a motive mean the spouse in any way deserved to be killed? OF COURSE NOT. This conversation is about discussing whether or not the shooting was random, or spurred on by office drama that lots of people endure with less than murderous ardour. NO ONE is saying "the Jewish guy was an rear end in a top hat and forced Syed to murder him. The lesson here is don't be rude to Muslims", as much as you apparently want that to be the case in order to feel superior. The latter is obvious because you keep talking about how everyone arguing against you just makes you sick or whatever.

This is the second time you've posted that you're too good for this place. Please call your own bluff.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 5, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mickey Mental posted:

"I would go after a lot of people and find out whether or not they knew. I'd be able to find out. Cause I don't believe the sister," he replied.

When Dickerson asked Trump whether he's worried about the possibility of creating more terrorists, Trump replied with a quick "No."

"We have to stop terrorists," Trump explained. "And the only way we're going to stop them, in my opinion, is that way. You know, they say they don't mind dying. I think they do mind dying. But I can tell you this. They want their families left alone. We have to stop terrorism."

:911:

A Republican presidency would be such a loving mess, no matter which one of these clowns gets through the primary.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Killdozer was justified terrorism. Zoning boards are awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Killdozer was justified terrorism. Zoning boards are awful.

His business was also crushed by the business behind him lobbying to re-zone him out of business.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ColdPie posted:

This seems to be the most provocative point of the argument, and it's the one that still sits poorly with me. But I think there are a couple of underlying points which, to me at least, are far more interesting and worth discussing:

• Why is it important to focus on external factors to their motive (Islamophobia) in this way as opposed to their internal thought processes (radicalization)?
  • Does a push to condemn Islamophobia in the wake of this tragedy that is explicitly motivated by a desire to reduce the incidence of these events in the future implicitly deny agency to the shooter? Why or why not?
  • If so, doesn't this denial of agency implicitly put the onus of action on the victim? How is that any different from victim blaming?

Don't get me wrong, I still believe there's a difficult-to-articulate difference between mere understanding of motivations and outright justifying the attacks (empathy for the attacker, most probably) but the above questions still remain, and seem to me to be difficult to resolve.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Mickey Mental posted:

Good stuff. Does Trump have any policy positions that don't boil down to "I'm great, so it would be great"? All the moderate Republicans in my life cling to the belief that they're the party of hard-headed realism and intellectual rigor; I wonder who they're voting for in the primary?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

ComradeCosmobot posted:

-Does a push to condemn Islamophobia in the wake of this tragedy that is explicitly motivated by a desire to reduce the incidence of these events in the future implicitly deny agency to the shooter? Why or why not?
-If so, doesn't this denial of agency implicitly put the onus of action on the victim? How is that any different from victim blaming?

Don't get me wrong, I still believe there's a difficult-to-articulate difference between mere understanding of motivations and outright justifying the attacks (empathy for the attacker, most probably) but the above questions still remain, and seem to me to be difficult to resolve.

Can only speak for myself, but I don't think I've seen anyone advocating what you're saying in the first bullet there. The push against Islamophobia I've seen in reaction to this is the sort that W advocated after 9/11: that associating all Muslims with violence is a bad way to react to this. I don't think I've seen anyone say "we shouldn't persecute Muslims anymore or else this will happen again(and it will be our fault when it does)".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

T. Bombastus posted:

Good stuff. Does Trump have any policy positions that don't boil down to "I'm great, so it would be great"?

Well yeah, in addition to "I'm great" it sounds like he has fleshed that one out to include "kill and oppress the innocent."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can only speak for myself, but I don't think I've seen anyone advocating what you're saying in the first bullet there. The push against Islamophobia I've seen in reaction to this is the sort that W advocated after 9/11: that associating all Muslims with violence is a bad way to react to this. I don't think I've seen anyone say "we shouldn't persecute Muslims anymore or else this will happen again(and it will be our fault when it does)".

We shouldn't persecute Muslims anymore, or else this will happen again (and it will be our fault when it does).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

We shouldn't persecute Muslims anyone anymore for their [non insane] beliefs, or else this will happen again (and it will be our fault when it does).

FTFY

Again, in the divine words of the holiest of prophets we should "be excellent to each other, and party on dudes".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

We shouldn't persecute Muslims anymore, or else this will happen again (and it will be our fault when it does).

Ok I take it all back. Sedanchair is the idiot you guys should be arguing with. Apparently there is someone who does victim blame mass shooting casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It was fine as I posted it. We shouldn't even persecute people for insane beliefs.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok I take it all back. Sedanchair is the idiot you guys should be arguing with. Apparently there is someone who does victim blame mass shooting casualties.

How is it victim blaming? "The foreign policy of the United States" is not a victim. George W. Bush and Donald Trump are not victims, but they have represented us and inflicted oppression on Muslims. The victims of the backlash are not to blame.

• Locked thread