Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Ika posted:

I don't like driving 2+ hours each way for something I could just order.

Get a load of this guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd really love a Lego store in New Orleans. Closest is Houston at about 4 hours drive.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I went from having a store 4 hours away in Dallas, TX to an hour in Raleigh, NC. I feel so spoiled and love it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here in London I have 2 stores 20 minutes from me at equidistant points, and a third about 45 minutes away. That's some uneven distribution.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
We have one just north of Seattle, in the south part of Seattle, and just east of Seattle. :coal:

On top of that there are at least two third-party Lego stores, and an educational toy store in north Seattle that stocks a ton of out-of-print stuff as well as current.

We're spoiled.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The one in cologne is 2hours away, but at least the cologne zoo has snow leopards to make up for the trip. But there are only like 10 lego stores in Germany, and two of those are FFM / Wiesbaden which are like 50km or less apart.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have two I can go to within 20 minutes (they decided to stick them both in the suburbs for some reason instead of in the middle of the city at more populated malls) I avoid them like the plague though because the are dangerous.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Couple of pages back, but because a couple of people seem to take it seriously thought I should point out that I was joking about being upset that my kid wants K'nex for Christmas. It's fine with me, he can want whatever the hell he wants. But that K'nex Lego connector stuff combined with the fact my friend just got a 3D printer makes has me intrigued.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure everyone else was joking around too. At least I hope so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not joking when I say knex is bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They seem allright for building ferris wheels and

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had the Big Ball Factory when I was a kid and it was amazing.

At least back then, Knex was good for building big structural and mechanical stuff, like a larger-scale Technic. I haven't viewed a new Knex set with anything but contempt for a while though. They've tried to branch into other toys' territory and it doesn't feel the same any more.
:corsair:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Knex always seemed more like a physics playset thing to me. You know, hammer hits the ball, falls through all these contraptions, ends up at the end? Kind of like that.

Also, secretly designed minifigs of my family members for them for Christmas. Hopefully they like them.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there a particular site that's generally best for ordering minifig parts? My wife is hoping to make Lego versions of her mum / dad / brother as little stocking stuffers. We had a look in the Lego store in town but the parts didn't have much variety. In the UK if that matters.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Put the Doctor Who set together yesterday. I think I have a new second favourite set. The Daleks are pretty great, they're better "in person" I think, You get a spare Sonic Screwdriver too, which is nice, don't have to make a decision on who gets it.

The middle bit of the interior was a fucker to put together though. Might have had a dodgy part or two, I dunno. Did it in a different order to the instructions and that worked though. The exterior is the best bit though. As a suggestion to anyone else making it, sort out all the dark blue bits and separate them first, apart from the flat round 1x1s. Oh, and the panels too.

I bet the instruction writers are cursing the show this season though, seeing as the Screwdriver seems to have been ditched. It makes a special mention of the "fact" that he's never without it. :v:

Also the Star Wars Advent Calendar has been pretty great so far. I'll admit I got it mainly for C3PO and R2D2 though, I'm a sucker for the Christmas versions of characters. Jabba's barge and a Sarlaac which attach together, a cool droid I'd never seen before but is pretty great, a Jawa (:3:) and the Sandcrawler. The instructions are so bad though, especially when everything is brown. I mean, they're the best they can do on a tiny square I guess, but drat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

McDragon posted:

Put the Doctor Who set together yesterday. I think I have a new second favourite set. The Daleks are pretty great, they're better "in person" I think, You get a spare Sonic Screwdriver too, which is nice, don't have to make a decision on who gets it.

The middle bit of the interior was a fucker to put together though. Might have had a dodgy part or two, I dunno. Did it in a different order to the instructions and that worked though. The exterior is the best bit though. As a suggestion to anyone else making it, sort out all the dark blue bits and separate them first, apart from the flat round 1x1s. Oh, and the panels too.

I bet the instruction writers are cursing the show this season though, seeing as the Screwdriver seems to have been ditched. It makes a special mention of the "fact" that he's never without it. :v:

Also the Star Wars Advent Calendar has been pretty great so far. I'll admit I got it mainly for C3PO and R2D2 though, I'm a sucker for the Christmas versions of characters. Jabba's barge and a Sarlaac which attach together, a cool droid I'd never seen before but is pretty great, a Jawa (:3:) and the Sandcrawler. The instructions are so bad though, especially when everything is brown. I mean, they're the best they can do on a tiny square I guess, but drat.

They will be cursing it even more after the finale tonight. The companion from the set is dead, the screwdriver is getting a redesign and the console room is changing too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PriorMarcus posted:

They will be cursing it even more after the finale tonight. The companion from the set is dead, the screwdriver is getting a redesign and the console room is changing too.

Dr. Who is awful and I don't like it :colbert:

I've already had a precocious 8 year old yell at me about some inaccuracy in the set or characters or something. I'm not looking forward to more of that.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

shymog posted:

educational toy store in north Seattle that stocks a ton of out-of-print stuff as well as current.

We're spoiled.

Where is this?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Tenterhooks posted:

Is there a particular site that's generally best for ordering minifig parts? My wife is hoping to make Lego versions of her mum / dad / brother as little stocking stuffers. We had a look in the Lego store in town but the parts didn't have much variety. In the UK if that matters.

Bricklink is generally the go-to place, but when I needed 3 Homer torsos, it was cheaper and easier to get them on eBay.

The real challenge is trying to find the exact head and torso prints you want.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Factory posted:

Where is this?

90th and Roosevelt:

http://mathnificent.com/Math-N-StuffStore/

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
why am I getting dr. who spoilers in the lego thread? come on guys.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

when I needed 3 Homer torsos

:whitewater:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
News from the WallE front. Emailed Lego again and they have apparently acknowledged two diffferent problems in the neck. The 1x2 and 1x4 with the adjustable gear connectors weren't up to par and also the new ball&socket neck joint. If you specify you bought the set and you want both fixes they will send you the neck parts now and add you to a list for the ball&socket set because they are still preparing some type of package with the parts and new instruction pages and said it will be shipped out "soon". Hooray for Lego service again. The best part is not being treated like a shady bastard and having to show receipts or credit card accounts to prove it. You just ask nicely and they oblige.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does Lego replace missing mini figures (like, lost ones for a fee not missing when it was bought)? I don't have the guys for my UCS Slave 1 and it's bugging me that it's incomplete.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

You can buy each part of the minifig as a replacement part.

https://wwwsecure.us.lego.com/en-us/service/replacementparts/sale

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
A bit bummed out I have no LEGO to put on my Christmas list this year. I'm not really into modulars and all the licensed stuff is either old or not anything I want. I already have Poe's X-wing and none of the other Force Awakens stuff really appeals to me. Guess I'll be waiting for January for Nexo Knights and the new sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zodack posted:

A bit bummed out I have no LEGO to put on my Christmas list this year. I'm not really into modulars and all the licensed stuff is either old or not anything I want. I already have Poe's X-wing and none of the other Force Awakens stuff really appeals to me. Guess I'll be waiting for January for Nexo Knights and the new sets.

The 2015 creative brick boxes have a pretty great variety :shobon:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

shymog posted:

We have one just north of Seattle, in the south part of Seattle, and just east of Seattle. :coal:

On top of that there are at least two third-party Lego stores, and an educational toy store in north Seattle that stocks a ton of out-of-print stuff as well as current.

We're spoiled.

Wait where? I only go to the one in Bellevue but I live in North Seattle.

Also what are those other stores?

[Ed]

Holy gently caress I have lived like 10 blocks from this for almost 3 years!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 6, 2015

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Well one of them is the Lego Store in Alderwood

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Feenix posted:

Wait where? I only go to the one in Bellevue but I live in North Seattle.

Also what are those other stores?

Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood and down in Westfield Southcenter.

Realtalk, though. I bought and built the Doctor Who set today, and I've gotta say, it's one of my favorites. I immediately swapped 12 from this set for the one I have with Lego Dimensions (correct outfit), and also handed him a guitar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I want to swap out the trans blue bits on the time rotor for trans orange.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Hey guys! I'm looking to start a collection with two objectives in mind. I used to play a lot with my LEGO System kits, particularly Stingrays when I was little during the late 90's. I'd like to know what are, in your opinion, the best kits to buy if I'm into:

1) Building starships

2) Building dark, modern-gothic style structures <--- I'm running a World of Darkness game (a tabletop RPG) and I want to build and take pictures of certain iconic moments of our game sessions using LEGOs

Thanks in advance!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zodack posted:

Do you have wall-e and the f40? Those are the must-haves this year. Though wall-e is massively back ordered right now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

What I've found odd is that the seasonal mini-sets always sell out online, but if I go to the store they have heaps of them.

Proving this, my local store just now had both winter $10 sets and Doctor Who. The Santa mantle set should look nice on our mantle.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I had a little project and needed 3 people wearing white T-shirts with a custom print, so I wanted a shirtsleeve print. Homer was the only source of shirt-sleeve arms, so I bought 3 torsos and brasso'd off his collar and stomach bulge.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

xzzy posted:

Do you have wall-e and the f40? Those are the must-haves this year. Though wall-e is massively back ordered right now.

I picked up Wall-E during the double VIP points in October or around then. I can't remember when, exactly.

The F-40 looks nice but I'm not really into cars so much. It's a great set but not for me.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Holy Crap that new yellow creator car is a convertable, that does not need to remove the top brick, it folds into the trunk, that is amazing. Also that Duck Hunt set looks fun.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anora posted:

Holy Crap that new yellow creator car is a convertable, that does not need to remove the top brick, it folds into the trunk, that is amazing. Also that Duck Hunt set looks fun.

What is this Duck Hunt set? This is the second or third time I've seen it mentioned but can never find any info on it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is this one?
http://brickset.com/sets/31044-1/Park-Animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's weird to me that lego puts those inverted discs on the bottom of everything now, when used as footpads they get all scratched up and lovely looking.