Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrawn527 posted:

Someone in here recommended the World at War documentary from the 70's. And I just wanted to say thank you. Watching it now, it's fantastic.

You're welcome. Enjoy the best documentary ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I restarted my netflix account and noticed all of X Files is in there; I may have watched a total of 10 episodes over its run, and with the miniseries coming up I'm kinda curious about going back and watching it.

How does it hold up nowadays? Is it worth it just watching everything, or should I just get a list of mythology/really good non-mythology episodes and watch those?

Watch everything through season five, watch the first movie, and start skipping episodes as they get boring. When they start babbling about super soldiers (sometime early in season 7, I think), turn around and never look back.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GreenNight posted:

It holds up pretty well. I've been watching it with the gf and she's never seen it before but likes it quite a bit. We're midway through season 2.

Yeah, technology backlash aside it looks good; I popped the first episode and was expecting... I don't know, some 4:3 SD-ish stuff (I recently tried rewatching Farscape), but it looks good.

Timby posted:

Watch everything through season five, watch the first movie, and start skipping episodes as they get boring. When they start babbling about super soldiers (sometime early in season 7, I think), turn around and never look back.

So, season 5 and then skip? Same as Supernatural? :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What are you even, show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbW8P19OdzE

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Haven't we told you that this is basically a high school show?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That looks like it's a bad show.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

that is not at all what I imagined Quantico would be like. Are...are these characters supposed to be adults? Are the writers aware these are adults?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Countdown until someone dubs her power rangers costume scenes with lines from iZombie

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spatula City posted:

that is not at all what I imagined Quantico would be like. Are...are these characters supposed to be adults? Are the writers aware these are adults?

The characters are like 30 years old

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do they shoot criminals on that show, or do they just do that for an hour?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most of the show is them training to be FBI agents

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
90% loving and training montages and 10% actual plot and action.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edmond Dantes posted:

I popped the first episode and was expecting... I don't know, some 4:3 SD-ish stuff (I recently tried rewatching Farscape), but it looks good.

When I watched it on Netflix that's exactly what it was, a mediocre DVD-resolution transfer that was overall way too dark. It was nigh impossible to make out what was going on anytime someone walked into a darkened room or a scene took place at night, which, what with it being X-Files, happens quite often.

Then two weeks after I abandoned it a few episodes into season 8 they put the new crisp HD transfers on Neflix. :suicide:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lycus posted:

Do they shoot criminals on that show, or do they just do that for an hour?
Cupid does most of the shooting.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 5, 2015

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

The second-to-last episode of X-Files remains one of my favorite in the entire run. Skip whatever else, but never that.

Unless the idea of Benjamin Linus living out his dream of literally being in the Brady Bunch family somehow rubs you wrong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Toxx has thrown up this year's TVIV Top 10 poll:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622

Everyone go in and enjoy! (And remember to vote for Sense8)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I am too dumb to understand the rules, but that is a cool idea.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Snak posted:

I am too dumb to understand the rules, but that is a cool idea.

It's far simpler than Toxx makes it look. You just post a list like this:

10. MTV's Scream
9. NCIS: CSI
8. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
7. Big Hooters 3
etc. etc.

And for each show you add a little bit of writing explaining why you rate is so good :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. The part I got hung up on was

quote:

It HAS to be numbered. You CANNOT list two shows within the same submission and expect your submission to be counted, even if they are complimentary shows. You MUST post your submission in comprehensible English. You MUST post your submission in one post.
I'm assuming that, in the second sentence, Toxx means that you cannot list two shows with the same rank?

I will get on this, if there's 10 shows that I've watched this year...

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It's based off of the TV critic megapoll hitfix does every year. We've done ours for a few years now, it's fun.

Snak posted:

I'm assuming that, in the second sentence, Toxx means that you cannot list two shows with the same rank?

Yep. I haven't even read his OP yet, but I'm guessing he posted some strict guidelines because there's always a few people who can't get the format right. If you're not sure, wait for a few people to post their top 10s and do what they did.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 5, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Oh my God this is gonna be hell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think only two or three shows in my Top 10 have episodes left to air this year, and they're unlikely to jump around so I'll go ahead and knock this out real quick. Plus there's nothing else coming out that I'm waiting to see. Should be fairly easy this year as opposed to the last couple.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Rocksicles posted:

90% loving and training montages and 10% actual plot and action.

It reminds me so much of the one season show Defying Gravity I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same writers. Caveat: I only watched the pilot of Quantico

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I started to write up a top 10 but then realized that I don't care enough to write up a whole list and painstakingly sort shows beyond my top 5, so I stopped. 1. Catastrophe, 2. The Leftovers, 3. Fargo, 4. Penn and Teller: Fool Us, 5. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

It reminds me so much of the one season show Defying Gravity I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same writers. Caveat: I only watched the pilot of Quantico

IMDB's common cast/crew search returns no results between Quantico and Defying Gravity. Which is too bad, it's really fun when hunch theories like that turn out to be true.

I will never stop searching for evidence than the worst episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation started it's life as an X-Files episode, even though I have found no supporting evidence so far.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the run up to the Quantico premiere there were tons of articles about how NBC landed this amazing actor from India and that it's a real game changer in Hollywood. Well the show is loving terrible and she sucks. The gently caress were they talking about?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

In the run up to the Quantico premiere there were tons of articles about how NBC landed this amazing actor from India and that it's a real game changer in Hollywood. Well the show is loving terrible and she sucks. The gently caress were they talking about?

As much as people whine about American blockbusters being cookie-cutter and lowest-common-denominator they still don't have poo poo on how bad Indian movies are. The last thing we want to be doing is trying to take cues from them.

e. Didn't the try somethign similar with Taxi Brooklyn when it had a big French actor?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Priyanka Chopra's amazing, and her status and reputation are well-earnt, but acting is not in the top three of things a Bollywood demands of someone. It's still sad that she's been 15 years in the business and didn't find a way to hold her acting to a higher international standard.

And Bollywood movies are so skull-numbingly terrible (plot- and acting-wise at least!) that it's hard to explain to outsiders just how low the standards for acting are there. They don't exactly do a lot of subtle acting.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhhZg9v9NU

Quantico needs to do a musical episode ASAP

ufarn
May 30, 2009

less laughter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhhZg9v9NU

Quantico needs to do a musical episode ASAP
So here's the thing, Priyanka can't really sing either, but she's a mean dancer - probably the best in Bollywood as a matter of fact.

But I think her singing will be about as grating as her acting (on Quantico).

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

She's a really famous high profile figure in a country of a billion people which is a relatively untapped market for Hollywood, that might have been something to do with it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
She's a famous, attractive celebrity. That's the reason.

edit: But she's not as famous in the US, so they want to use media coverage to try to import her fame. The media essentially manufactures fame and celebrity status in order to monetize it. It's much easier to do with someone who is already a celebrity somewhere than it is to just find an attractive person on the street and turn them into a profitable celebrity.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 5, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's also that whole thing about female, non-white representation on TV. It's Shondaland TV, not "some famous actress doing whatever US TV". Quantico is a poo poo show, but it's a huge accomplishment in terms of diversity, even though we can sit here and ignore that as a bunch of white goons.

And it's on ABC which is owned by Disney, which is a huge presence in Bollywood with UTV and everything. Disney want to do everything, and I'm sure they'd love to be as global as possible.

The world's not any larger than Jimmy Iovine producing Priyanka's music. It's not like she arrived to the US on a boat.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 5, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
double post

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wandle Cax posted:

She's a really famous high profile figure in a country of a billion people which is a relatively untapped market for Hollywood, that might have been something to do with it

But we already had Padma Lakshmi, Dev Patel, Aziz Ansari, Kunal Nayyar and Mindy Kaling for that

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying it's bad or a mark against her. I'm just saying that all the things I said are reasons why there would be media coverage about NBC getting her on one of their shows.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think, her horrid acting aside, that it might have taken her megastatus and ABC's Shondaverse for a brown desi woman to get a lead role on American TV - that appears to be killing it in many ratings. I think that's the most interesting part of all this. Quantico is the worst show I may have ever watched, but I am immensely happy that the show exists, and that Priyanka is getting this exposure, regardless of what an execrable vehicle it is for her.

In some way bringing her in seems like the most obvious decision in the world, but it's kind of amazing that it took so long for it to happen, and I can't help wonder what made the difference, especially given the stories about how ABC kept lobbying Priyanka to do just about any show.

(Which makes me wonder what kind of loving awful script Priyanka got for her to pick this particular show, but that's for another discussion.)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ufarn posted:

There's also that whole thing about female, non-white representation on TV. It's Shondaland TV

Quantico is not Shondaland, they just shamelessly carbon copied her trademark format

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Grey's Anatomy is so bad that, without ever having watched it, I have learned through cultural osmosis how terrible it is. I will now apply this "knowledge" to Quantico.

MY ex girlfriend refused to believe that Dawson's Creek was a good show, and said that she would only watch it if I watched Grey's Anatomy. I told her that was bullshit, because she admitted that Grey's Anatomy was terrible, and it was unfair to make we watch a terrible show because I was making her watch a good show.

Fortunately, I broke up with her and am happily re-watching Dawson's Creek with my bff now.

And my ex insisted that Dawson's Creek was dumb because she knew how the show ended. I asked her how the show ended and she told me some poo poo that never happened in the show and insisted that she was right about the ending of a show that she had never seen because of some episode she half-remembered seeing.

This is why I only date liquor bottles now.

edit: She was not as bad as the previous ex who got mad at me for not telling her who the cylons where during Battlestar Galactica. I like to say that's when I knew things wouldn't work out with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's a special place in hell for the show that shares a large responsibility for the moral-of-the-story voiceover trope on TV.

• Locked thread