Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

xamphear posted:

I thought Brutal Mode was already in RB4? You just needed to be a fan of the previous games and then watch as they put this out.
Nice

Also good, bit edgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Rock Band 4 continues to be developed for an audience that isn't me. Brutal mode seems like a joke, I'm not sure who it's for.

Here is an old video of me playing my favourite STP song on guitar. https://youtu.be/zl3jBd-3-8E

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Did we ever get a solid answer on whether scores shown during quickplay song select will be limited to the instrument you're on in the Dec. 8th update?

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
"Leaderboards no longer mix player scores and percentages from different performances and instead show only the info for the single performance with the highest score."

That doesn't sound encouraging. Hm.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dr Zaius posted:

Here is an old video of me playing my favourite STP song on guitar. https://youtu.be/zl3jBd-3-8E

Aw, man. Watching this video just reminded me how much I still hate the way the new gems look after 57 hours of looking at them. Yo, Harmonix, sell me some paid DLC gem skin cosmetics already!

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

brutal mode sounds like some poo poo that had more people on the dev team than people who will actually play it once it's out.

But maybe I'm underestimating how many millions of people play this game with their eyes closed or something since that's basically the quality of player you gotta be to play a game where the notes disappear before you even trigger them.

They're really doing a pretty good job of making me not give a poo poo about Rock Band anymore.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pksage posted:

My final Brutal concern: They track its scores separately, but you can very easily cheat by just syncing up a normal gameplay video and playing along to that. The leaderboards will be mostly worthless because of this, so if you play it for score, you can only compare to yourself or known non-video-lookers.

Haha... so what's the point of this mode then?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I understand who the audience for this mode is, I can't imagine ever wanting to play it myself

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dreyvas posted:

"Leaderboards no longer mix player scores and percentages from different performances and instead show only the info for the single performance with the highest score."

That doesn't sound encouraging. Hm.

I think it's fine? If your best performance was 97% and 120000 points but you got one that was 99% but 115000 points, I'd rather it show the 97%+120000 points not 99% and 120000 points.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Kaboobi posted:

I think it's fine? If your best performance was 97% and 120000 points but you got one that was 99% but 115000 points, I'd rather it show the 97%+120000 points not 99% and 120000 points.

I'm trying to do the last achievement I have left, get 5 stars on Expert for every song, and I can't tell some of the ones I've completed because I got a higher score on Hard. And then it mixes guitar and bass scores. The whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Kaboobi posted:

Right, I just only want it to show scores from the instrument I'm playing.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I have to say I have no idea what they were thinking with Rock Band VR or with this new "Brutal" mode. Neither one seems worth the effort. But whatever, Harmonix is a small studio with limited cash so it makes sense for them to spread themselves thin with a bunch of side projects and useless features. That's how that works, right?

I will say though, I am excited for the other not-so-brutal additions in the upcoming update.

Now i'm just waiting on final word on the RB3 export. I refuse to believe it's going to be so simple and straightforward that they don't need to have an announcement about it before, and the fact that they haven't makes me worry that it'll be delayed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

No joke, this was the closing song they played when I last saw them...

...a few months ago with the dude from Linkin Park on vocals. Stupid audience voted for that song over "Trippin'".

As for the patch, basically what Zaius said. Might pick up VR if that winds up being cheaper than picking up an XBone and I can keep my DLC.

Orange Harrison posted:

So the VR Rock Band is going to be on PC right? If it's available for Windows, Xbox players might be able to get their old DLC, the one caveat being that the game would have to use, shudder, Games For Windows LIVE.

GFWL is basically dead. Wikipedia says the last GFWL title was released 3 years ago.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TrojanNemo posted:

Now i'm just waiting on final word on the RB3 export. I refuse to believe it's going to be so simple and straightforward that they don't need to have an announcement about it before, and the fact that they haven't makes me worry that it'll be delayed.

That is supposed to be next week, yeah?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Hockles posted:

I believe the most recent update is "we're trying to get it done for the Dec. 8 patch", so yes, in theory.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

So the VR Rock Band is going to be on PC right? If it's available for Windows, Xbox players might be able to get their old DLC, the one caveat being that the game would have to use, shudder, Games For Windows LIVE.

Honestly it might end up on Xbox as well, Microsoft has been pushing Oculus integration with the system and if Sony's thing which I've forgotten the name of right now gets successful it'll be a good way to have an equivalent without diverting too much from Hololens (or...whatever).

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Hockles posted:

Yeah that's the problem, like pksage said they've been saying they're aiming for and hoping for, etc. Never an exact date and evidently no announcement in advance, unless they do it the day before on Monday.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

whypick1 posted:

...a few months ago with the dude from Linkin Park on vocals. Stupid audience voted for that song over "Trippin'".

I do hope the DeLeo brothers find a vocalist/lyricist worth listening to, I've always thought Tiny Music was one of the most underrated records of the 90s.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Hat Thoughts posted:

Honestly it might end up on Xbox as well, Microsoft has been pushing Oculus integration with the system and if Sony's thing which I've forgotten the name of right now gets successful it'll be a good way to have an equivalent without diverting too much from Hololens (or...whatever).

The VR thing for PlayStation is called PlayStation VR.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I thought it was called Morpheus?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Morpheus was the working/internal name much the same way Project Natal was the Kinect's name.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

whypick1 posted:

GFWL is basically dead. Wikipedia says the last GFWL title was released 3 years ago.

They're getting the band back together!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Fairly sure there are modern Xbox One/Windows games that share content and player bases - Killer Instinct, maybe? However, I would guess Oculus will have its own store and ecosystem, and Rock Band VR will be exclusively available there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Brutal mode looks stupid…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bJyQTRXVw

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

cbirdsong posted:

Fairly sure there are modern Xbox One/Windows games that share content and player bases - Killer Instinct, maybe? However, I would guess Oculus will have its own store and ecosystem, and Rock Band VR will be exclusively available there.

The Xbox version of Rocket League won't have cross platform play with Windows while the PS4 version does. Microsoft is a dumb company.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just got my Pro Cymbals. What is the point of having the red cymbal screw?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thank gently caress I didn't buy this game if this sort of thing is more important than practice mode to Harmonix

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Astro7x posted:

Just got my Pro Cymbals. What is the point of having the red cymbal screw?

Lefty mode?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spoeank posted:

Lefty mode?

Ah. That makes sense. I won't feel bad if I lose it then

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Ok, so now that the new update is out for this piece of poo poo console (Xbone), how the gently caress do I redownload my DLC content that wasn't accessible when the game launched? Before, if an item was marked as purchased, I could click it and select install. Now it tells me I can find it in my games and apps directory, without giving me the option to redownload it, but I can't find anything there but full games, not the DLC. How did they manage to make an already awful console worse?

Edit: Rebuilding the cache took care of it.

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 5, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh boy.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Hahahahaha oh my god I can see exactly what they did. :cawg:
This is literally what the game already looks like if you play with video calibration set to 0ms. No wonder Brutal Mode seemed to come out of nowhere, they are selling a bug that's been in the game since day 1, as a new mode.
See this old post:

Orange Harrison posted:

The lag here is something entirely different than the previous RB games. I've been using the same setup since RB1 and can play without lag numbers, but this game has some inherent problem either with its software or the xbone itself is incapable of outputting sound on time. Hell, I can go plug my xbone into a HDMI CRT I have for 0ms lag and it's still a mess. The hit window for notes by default does not match the visual target. I did a lot of playing around with this, with video compensation set to 0 and strumming notes at all kinds of times, so see how early and how late I can burst them, and once you've found the edges of the hit window, the center of those two points is where the window itself is. In RB4, the game has so much inherent lag that the actual hit window is way up above the actual target (which is now basically a useless sprite). I noticed I could strum notes ludicrously early and still get hits while they were halfway up the track. Try it, if you set video compensation to 0 you can strum super early, because the hit window is actually up there.

When you calibrated video lag on the old games, this would move the hitbox back behind the target, so people playing by sight wouldn't miss notes. That's why when you play correctly on a calibrated set, it looks like the notes are going past the target anyway. HMX assumes that LITERALLY EVERYBODY will be playing RB4 this way, so they moved the original target location up the track, so the late-bursting gems burst where they are supposed to on a regular set, and moved the target sprite back down there too to hide the fact the game literally can't keep up with itself.

You know when you go to your friends house and he has that 2003 plasma screen TV from costco with the built in speakers and it's basically impossible to play RB on it? That's how RB4 runs internally now.

Since the update features mentioned that they were refining the calibration of RB4, I'm going to assume that once they got the game running with less latency, they observed the lopsided hitbox this created before they readjusted the track graphics, and somebody said "lets keep it as an option".

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2015

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

I don't think Oculus considers itself a platform, you can buy games with VR support on Steam or wherever you want.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Orange Harrison posted:

Hahahahaha oh my god I can see exactly what they did. :cawg:

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I don't have Mac OS 10.10 to do the guitar/drums firmware update... am I just poo poo out of luck? Any chance it would work if I dug out my 2005 Windows XP Gateway computer?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Astro7x posted:

So I don't have Mac OS 10.10 to do the guitar/drums firmware update... am I just poo poo out of luck? Any chance it would work if I dug out my 2005 Windows XP Gateway computer?

Yeah, it requires the latest OS X version but will run on any version of Windows. No, it needs Windows 10. Find a job or a friend with modern computers you can borrow.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft provides free time-limited virtual machines of Windows for web development testing. You could maybe open one of those in Virtual Box and do the update that way. This is a completely insane thing to have to do to update the firmware in a video game controller, which is also a completely insane concept.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like you can do it on Windows 7...

http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/608/209/rock-band-instrument-firmware-updates

My wife has an old Dell laptop that has that I think.

I just refuse to update the OS on a 2008 Mac which is working just fine on Mountain Lion to do a stupid guitar firmware update. I have a similar Mac at work we put El Capitan on and it now runs like poo poo.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, Mad Catz support basically told me I could either buy a Bluetooth dongle and get Windows 10 or go screw myself as far as my instruments were concerned.

10/10 Would Get Told To Get Rekt Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Stopping a show to firmware update the instruments sounds like something off a futuristic Spike Jones record.