Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

dino. posted:

What I'm getting at is that I still feel hella weird going through other peoples' fridge. I'll do it for sure, but it'll take me a while to feel free to open someone else's fridge. My mum was horrified when she had one of my sister's friends come over for a sleep over. She wandered into the kitchen, pulled out the milk, poured herself a glass, and then put the glass in the sink. Thank gods the phone rang, or that could've ended badly.

White people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Kenning posted:

White people.

Pale people doesn't really do that more than non-pale people...

Anyways - anybody is free to everything that is in my fridge, because nobody should go hungry, what is mine is yours!

And I am not embarrassed by old carrots, things that are over their expirery date or anything like that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Pale people doesn't really do that more than non-pale people...

Anyways - anybody is free to everything that is in my fridge, because nobody should go hungry, what is mine is yours!

And I am not embarrassed by old carrots, things that are over their expirery date or anything like that.

Your old carrot is past its expiry date.

Any update on your coming to London?

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

dino. posted:

Speaking of kitchens. It took me the LONGEST time to get used to the concept of "help yourself" in someone else's house. As a kid it was absolutely terrifying. I'd be at a friend's house, and they'd be all "I'm hungry. Let's go raid the fridge." That'd be OK. However, sometimes it'd be like "You hungry? OK, just go get whatever from the fridge. I'm good. Maybe just grab me a soda." And I'd be all "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo what do I doooooooo?"

Now, because I cook so much, my friends more or less expect me to raid the fridge, because they know I'll want to make something. I'm still pretty careful to check if there's any plans for ______ in the fridge or pantry before commandeering it. It still feels weird as hell though. Hell, it took me three or four visits to my own brother's house before I felt comfortable enough to go help myself.

Is this a weird cultural thing, or does anyone else know what I'm on about?

Rural Ontario (Canada) is much like that. Even through high school parties were BYOB. You always just take care of your own poo poo - drinks, food, whatever. Don't eat other people's food - be hungry untuil you get home. It was a real adjustment in my later 20s and especially when I was in say England where everyone took turns buying rounds.

Still feels weird when things aren't framed as a 1:1 trade-off.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

Any update on your coming to London?

Still negotiating with those guys....

British people really don't saddle the horse the same day that they go for a ride..

Edit: They're not the quickest mopeds on the harbour...

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 6, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ya know what grinds my gears

the trend of really contrasty food photos. I know what this should look like in real life, and I imagine it would look tasty, but being retouched the way it is, it looks like a gigantic pile of burnt barely recognizable garbage. why oh why is this even a trend.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Rustic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

ya know what grinds my gears

the trend of really contrasty food photos. I know what this should look like in real life, and I imagine it would look tasty, but being retouched the way it is, it looks like a gigantic pile of burnt barely recognizable garbage. why oh why is this even a trend.

It simulates the light coming in sideways through the one window in the winter in your dark, unlit rustic log cabin

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rustica

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Guess the food! I'm thinking it's a hybrid bbq ribs/low country boil done in the crockpot. Easy exciting ethnics!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

That's so 2 years ago, now it's all about the local.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, I came up with a really good drink.

To start with, I made these salt preserved limes a while ago. Limes, salt, cardamom, bay leaf. They've been sitting for like six months or more? I don't know. Anyway, I take one of these preserved lime wedges and muddle it in the bottom of a glass with a cube or two of sugar, then add a couple of fingers of gin and a couple of ice cubes. Voila, instant deliciousness with good complexity.

Anyway they lend themselves to drinking A. Lot. Of. and the salt is nice because it replaces electrolytes or some poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gimme some proportions/measurements

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For the limes? For a 1 pint mason jar it's like, enough wedged limes to fill it up, a couple of tablespoons salt, a teaspoon or so of ground green cardamom, and a couple of bay leaves, and then enough lime juice to fill it to the brim. Shake it really good, and let it sit for a month or so, turning it every couple of days to distribute the salts that fall out of solution. Then they just chill until you need them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fridge or pantry

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I literally don't have any idea what this word means anymore. I did 5 years ago, but now it literally means nothing as far as I can tell.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
"Rustic" is how I describe a thing I was too lazy to do properly, like mashing refried beans. It's not halfassed, it's rustic!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rustic hotdog sliced in this Mac n cheese

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Fridge or pantry

Pantry, but I put mine in the fridge after I had opened them. Probably unnecessary.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guess the food! I'm thinking it's a hybrid bbq ribs/low country boil done in the crockpot. Easy exciting ethnics!

Looks like pork belly to me.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

guppy posted:

"Rustic" is how I describe a thing I was too lazy to do properly, like mashing refried beans. It's not halfassed, it's rustic!

Even in woodworking, mistakes and misalignments are now "giving it a rustic feel."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wait until bridges are built with "rustic welds"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Wait until bridges are built with "rustic welds"
bridges are not being built so those rustic welds are just maintained, rusticly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Artisan upkeep!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

Artisan upkeep!

:xd:

Stealing this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Artisan upkeep!

Beautiful

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Depending where you live, Artesian either means specially made by one dude in a converted woodshed, or full as sulphur and smelling like hell.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Depending where you live, Artesian either means specially made by one dude in a converted woodshed
converted from what, a waterfall?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

MasterFugu posted:

converted from what, a waterfall?

A craft brewery

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Marta Velasquez posted:

A craft brewery
you're going to have difficulty fitting a brewery into an aquifer.

VV at least someone got :thejoke:

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MasterFugu posted:

you're going to have difficulty fitting a brewery into an aquifer.

Well reasoned.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Marta Velasquez posted:

Even in woodworking, mistakes and misalignments are now "giving it a rustic feel."

Part of my dad's job involves beating the poo poo out of wooden furniture with nail-boards and fistfuls of rocks before putting a bit of stain and sealant on it to make it look "rustic" or "antique."

You'd be amazed at what rich people will knowingly pay you to do to their stuff and their walls, but that's partially because the materials for faux finishing are :chanpop: expensive as a consequence.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Daeren posted:

Part of my dad's job involves beating the poo poo out of wooden furniture with nail-boards and fistfuls of rocks before putting a bit of stain and sealant on it to make it look "rustic" or "antique."

You'd be amazed at what rich people will knowingly pay you to do to their stuff and their walls, but that's partially because the materials for faux finishing are :chanpop: expensive as a consequence.

That's why I like buying vintage furniture; the patina of age. But the real thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Haha, I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who faux-antiquates certain pieces. Sometimes all you can get is something new or something you custom built, and it just looks too NEW. Until I whack it with a chain a few times.

Although my favorite thing is taking ugly wooden pieces with nice shapes, painting them in white then brightly-colored milk paint and breaking the edges with sandpaper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a delivery driver look at my original floors in my last house (built in 1956) and tell me about how when he worked with a flooring contractor, people would pay extra money for him to use a brad nailer to put brads halfway in, then pull them and stain the holes to look like (I guess) they had been covered with carpet (tack strips) for years.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be a millionaire by being first into an untapped market. I'm going to create "Rustic Eats," a restaurant where I serve previously-chewed food.

My second restaurant will be more upscale. I'll serve food that I've previously digested. I'll be famous famous for my take on the rustic gastronomical experience.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had a delivery driver look at my original floors in my last house (built in 1956) and tell me about how when he worked with a flooring contractor, people would pay extra money for him to use a brad nailer to put brads halfway in, then pull them and stain the holes to look like (I guess) they had been covered with carpet (tack strips) for years.

People who do that to old intact plank floors should be given an attitude adjustment in the face with a metal chair.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dane posted:

People who do that to old intact plank floors should be given an attitude adjustment in the face with a metal chair.

No he did it to new floors to make them look like old floors. Because a lot of old floors have been covered with carpet before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That way you can tell the Hardwood Story.

Oh we pulled back a corner of this ugly carpet and there was beautiful hardwood beneath we couldn't believe it why would anyone cover that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brawnfire posted:

That way you can tell the Hardwood Story.

Oh we pulled back a corner of this ugly carpet and there was beautiful hardwood beneath we couldn't believe it why would anyone cover that up

How dare they tarnish the legacy of my beloved Surprise Flooring.