Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wielder posted:

That isn't a "thought elevator" as those were random ruins and crap seen during the TV show. We don't know if this new person is an "alien" or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are some kind of special being connected to the origins of this power. Remember we don't know poo poo about where Geass came from. Literally almost any explanation is possible and it wouldn't directly contradict anything the TV series didn't say. Both TV seasons did establish multiple planes of existence though, so any dimensional or spacetime shenanigans would fit in there.

I'm aware of all of this. What I meant was whoever she is, based on her actions, seems like a strong candidate for the identity behind the Elevators and all that garbage. Or rather, her race or organization could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hahaha, that ridiculous hybrid 2d + cg scene where Suzaku jumps over a few robots and elegantly flips right into the Lancelot looked great.

Also, they've always described Code Geass as a poor man's LoGH, and the Akito series really pushes that angle.

Edit: Who's this guy again? He looks almost but not quite like Schneizel.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 1, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just rewatched Zero Requiem, and by god that episode was so good.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Phobophilia posted:

One of the commanders of the Knight Orders. He showed up in the first episode's battle.

Edit: VVVVV GunxSword is cool. More people should watch that.

wielder fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 7, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Hahaha, that ridiculous hybrid 2d + cg scene where Suzaku jumps over a few robots and elegantly flips right into the Lancelot looked great.

Also, they've always described Code Geass as a poor man's LoGH, and the Akito series really pushes that angle.

Hes that guy in Gun X Sword with the gun mech.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

holy poo poo is that "translation note" thing real? Was that actually in a sub?

I mean, that's just...wow :psyboom:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aces High posted:

holy poo poo is that "translation note" thing real? Was that actually in a sub?

I mean, that's just...wow :psyboom:

hahah. No. It was part of a TL note joke thread a while back. (I can't remember if it originated on SA or not.) But, no. That wasn't a real TL note.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I thought it was a note actually put into the fansub, but done so as a joke.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I believe it may have been serious at first, but it gradually evolved into memetic status.

Quick paging Dilbert as gently caress to explain Code Geass era /a/

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I believe it may have been serious at first, but it gradually evolved into memetic status.

I don't dream of it at all times like Dil but Geass /a/ really was great.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I don't dream of it at all times like Dil but Geass /a/ really was great.

Man remember all the motherfucking "I should pleasure myself with this fish" threads I could never get tired of them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

It was done tongue-in-cheek. The fansub group (gg) was loved/hated for how hard they trolled in their subs. I think their most famous accomplishment was leaving in the Morning Rescue ads in their Madoka Magica releases.

It's been so long that I can't remember much of Geass /a/, other than it was also back when Touhou had a deathgrip on the board and so Geassposters and Touhouposters would constantly pick fights in each other's threads.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

This just proves an eye patch would have been way cooler than that dumb contact lense.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
a dangling crystal bauble on your eyepatch is the opposite of cool

its so opposite of cool that it wraps around and somehow becomes cool again

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Geass is like Jojo in that characters draw getter rayesque power from fashion and posing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I really enjoyed this show but would it have killed them to change his name from D-Tard

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:lol:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Akito 4 RAWs are apparently loose (home release was the 28th) so wake up thread, subs aren't far now!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm a little surprised fansubbers are taking a while with it. Is the series not popular or something?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fansubs in general are pretty dead, these days

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also there's some English subs on the blu-ray or something? I know with the other episodes a subbed version was out fast, so

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's also very hosed up to think about, but next year Geass turns 10 years old.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
On a whim I just rewatched the entire series. Such a good show. Did they really bring back lelouch for one special for absolutely no reason?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Srice posted:

It's also very hosed up to think about, but next year Geass turns 10 years old.

Welp, I feel old now.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Did they really bring back lelouch for one special for absolutely no reason?

If you mean Akito the Exiled, that takes place between seasons.

Which was basically the only way they could safely play around.

Srice posted:

Also there's some English subs on the blu-ray or something?

All the Akito BD discs come with perfectly acceptable English subs, yes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=758023

I'm still watching so all I can say so far is
1. fights still look amazing
2. Mmm, that whole Japanese refugee camp thing was weird to start with and real life events have not made it better

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 28, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Is 4 the last one? I've been waiting to marathon them all together.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It was originally going to be 4 but it's now 5.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jesus Christ where do I start.

Good stuff:
1. Fights, as said, still look amazing.
2. It's definitely a really different feel from the mostly orchestral main series but I love what they do with jazz in this show. I mean sure, a growing cacophony to emulate madness and escalating violence is one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it's used to excellent effect here, especially whenever Shin's getting all revved up.
3. That scene with Shin in the woods is super creepy and awesome in a way nothing else in this franchise is.

Bad:
1. Leila's just not got the public speaking chops of Lelouch or Emperor Chuck.
2. Again, the refugee thing is weird on a lot of levels.
3. That scene with Akito and Ashley was a complete miss.
4. This show feels REALLY constrained by its interquel status. Well, maybe that's for the best considering the recent track record of free reign Sunrise series.

Hanging Threads/Questions:
1. We still don't know what Leila's Geass is. Curiously, and maybe we've known this and I just forgot because it takes so loving long for these episodes to drop, it's blue like the Geass Canceller. And indeed, it seems to block Shin's Geass so assumedly it has some similar effect.
2. We still don't actually know what Shin's is either. It can compel people to kill themselves and others obviously, but that seems kind of limited and especially with Akito the effects of it are weird. More importantly, we don't know who gave it to him or why. I can't recall which eye it's in, but I am currently assuming V.V, which would explain his beef with Charles.
3. We don't know what Shin's actual endgame is. He says he wants to off Charles and start full blown global warfare, but if that was all I don't know that he'd be targeted by the Ghost Illuminati. Or, for that matter, that his hallucinations of regular, non-Illuminati ghosts would be like that. He seems to actually be genuinely fond of Manfredi, his adopted sister, and adopted mother, and either metaphorically dreams of joining them because he's insane or literally intends to because the World of C is a thing (and the dead are semiconscious in it, hence Charles talking to Clovis).
4. No sign of said goddamn Ghost Illuminati. You can't just throw that one out there halfway through your weird, retcon interquel Geass. Smiley's been told by them to take down Shin, but they don't care who runs the world.
5. Lelouch and Suzaku are still boxed up at Chateau De Shin, gotta end that. Possibly a job for Rolo or another Geass Directorate agent (Clara)?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Bad:
1. Leila's just not got the public speaking chops of Lelouch or Emperor Chuck.
2. Again, the refugee thing is weird on a lot of levels.
3. That scene with Akito and Ashley was a complete miss.
4. This show feels REALLY constrained by its interquel status. Well, maybe that's for the best considering the recent track record of free reign Sunrise series.

1. Which doesn't mean her speech was "bad" as such. Just a more typical political discourse than either of those. I also liked that it gave her the chance to make a difference (while it lasted).
2. Curiously, it feels less weird to me after reading things like this, among other real situations where refugees were under suspicion of aiding the enemy or whatever.
3. That's awkward, though I'd be more bothered if they weren't playing up Ashley for comedy as well. And I liked the very end of the fight sequence with him too, parallels to Eva and all.
4. Not more than any typical side story, as far as I'm concerned. If it's constrained by anything, it's the restricted length (and all the delays).

By the way, I actually think Klaus is the secret best character. He had a fair amount of good scenes this time around and, while the truth of his allegiance wasn't surprising, the fact he's not a terrible person was welcome. Usually anyone in his position either gets immediately killed off or turns out to be a complete jerk.

quote:

Hanging Threads/Questions:
1. We still don't know what Leila's Geass is. Curiously, and maybe we've known this and I just forgot because it takes so loving long for these episodes to drop, it's blue like the Geass Canceller. And indeed, it seems to block Shin's Geass so assumedly it has some similar effect.
2. We still don't actually know what Shin's is either. It can compel people to kill themselves and others obviously, but that seems kind of limited and especially with Akito the effects of it are weird. More importantly, we don't know who gave it to him or why. I can't recall which eye it's in, but I am currently assuming V.V, which would explain his beef with Charles.
3. We don't know what Shin's actual endgame is. He says he wants to off Charles and start full blown global warfare, but if that was all I don't know that he'd be targeted by the Ghost Illuminati. Or, for that matter, that his hallucinations of regular, non-Illuminati ghosts would be like that. He seems to actually be genuinely fond of Manfredi, his adopted sister, and adopted mother, and either metaphorically dreams of joining them because he's insane or literally intends to because the World of C is a thing (and the dead are semiconscious in it, hence Charles talking to Clovis).
4. No sign of said goddamn Ghost Illuminati. You can't just throw that one out there halfway through your weird, retcon interquel Geass. Smiley's been told by them to take down Shin, but they don't care who runs the world.
5. Lelouch and Suzaku are still boxed up at Chateau De Shin, gotta end that. Possibly a job for Rolo or another Geass Directorate agent (Clara)?

1. The only time we've seen the blue color of her Geass was a promotional video from years ago, but not any actual episode. The effects seem pretty obvious by now though.
2. It is limited, since Shin seems to only have power over death and nothing else. But perhaps he did something that pissed off the wrong people in order to gain said power.
3 and 4. I think the upcoming battle within the castle will reveal mystical ruins to finally connect Shin, the mysterious lady and other magical stuff. A couple of hints seem to support this.
5. Farnese (blond knight master guy who wasn't killed in Shin's coup) might free them. As much as I liked seeing those two, I was actively wishing they would take a backseat after the last time. I suppose we'll see them return to Britannia and tie things up with the status quo of early R2.

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 28, 2015

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

My friend lists this as his favorite anime, so since I've had him watch Madoka (and cosplay Charlotte/Bebe) it's really only fair that I watch his. I'm absolutely a sub guy, the only dub I've watched on purpose is Cowboy Bebop as it's arguably the greatest dub in anime. However, I'm told that the Code Geass dub is up there with that, my question is, would I be missing anything due to localization or content changes, and what's the general consensus on the quality of the dub over the sub?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jiffypop45 posted:

My friend lists this as his favorite anime, so since I've had him watch Madoka (and cosplay Charlotte/Bebe) it's really only fair that I watch his. I'm absolutely a sub guy, the only dub I've watched on purpose is Cowboy Bebop as it's arguably the greatest dub in anime. However, I'm told that the Code Geass dub is up there with that, my question is, would I be missing anything due to localization or content changes, and what's the general consensus on the quality of the dub over the sub?

Do not watch Geass dubbed.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

jiffypop45 posted:

it's good but no where near cowboy bebop level. just watch the sub

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The dub is alright though it lacks the ham of the Japanese Lelouch.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

jiffypop45 posted:

The English dub version is definitely watchable and does have a fair number of very good performances. If you want some trivia, the late Kevin Seymour was the casting director (uncredited) for Cowboy Bebop and the ADR director for Code Geass. I would say JYB actually gets into the role of Lelouch in due time and can go over-the-top enough in the long run. Since you're a sub guy, presumably you'll stick with the Japanese. I've seen both the dub and the sub multiple times, so it's up to your personal preference.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 6, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Liam O'Brien as Lloyd is one of the few things I remember about this show.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crispin Freeman Gottwald is good but the Japanese cast is actually perfect and whatever improvement JYB can be said to make he never comes close to FukuJun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

Crispin Freeman Gottwald is good but the Japanese cast is actually perfect and whatever improvement JYB can be said to make he never comes close to FukuJun.

Fukuyama is seriously one of the primary attraction points of the show for me and I can't imagine anyone doing remotely as well at that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1b3BuDW1qh4