Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

I'm pretty sure the KLX is FI and longer maintenance intervals than the WR, the DRZ is still carbed. Really how many riders here could benefit from the performance of the WR over the KLX?

Still carbed, Keihin CVK34. I also totally forgot the DRZ is carbed, but with these types of bikes I wouldn't make a decision based on type of fuel delivery, I would probably pick the one that has the best suspension out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

The WR250 I wanted is already sold :negative:

what about a new CRF250?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

No, it was a friend's. I crashed it into a tree the moment it hit the power.

That's the next best result you could have hoped for, really.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tactical Lesbian posted:

what about a new CRF250?

They're great bikes and great bang for the buck. You literally cannot go wrong with a CRF250L

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
KLX 650 is a great bike, just rare.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Buy Koruthaiolos TR650 instead and remove temptation for me, please. Please.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Coydog posted:

Buy Koruthaiolos TR650 instead and remove temptation for me, please. Please.

I think this really is your best option! ;)

Tactical lesbian, where do you live?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

St. Louis area.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I know I've been lurking, and occasionally chiming in on CA for a long time, but I might actually pull the trigger on my first bike.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5337136401.html

What do you think, hivemind? I'm going to look at it after work. Taking an experienced rider with me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
$1300 doesn't sound like an awful deal if it runs and rides and everything works.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yeah that seems pretty good. Take it for a test ride.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Clitch posted:

I know I've been lurking, and occasionally chiming in on CA for a long time, but I might actually pull the trigger on my first bike.

What do you think, hivemind? I'm going to look at it after work. Taking an experienced rider with me.

Yeah, have your buddy ride it around the block to make sure it's ship-shape. That's a pretty solid choice for a first bike.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I just put a (refundable) deposit down on the Honda.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clitch posted:

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I just put a (refundable) deposit down on the Honda.

Bunch of good decisions happening ITT, good stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Clitch posted:

Yeah, if it checks out, you are going to absolutely love that. Looks like a good "conversion" too. Plus, a good price for a first bike that you will destroy.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Bunch of good decisions happening ITT, good stuff.

Doesn't that just make you feel good?

Happy holidays :kimchi:

edit: holy poo poo it's Hank Hill on a CRF250L, paging Marxalot

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Doesn't that just make you feel good?

Happy holidays :kimchi:

edit: holy poo poo it's Hank Hill on a CRF250L, paging Marxalot

Huh?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Oh forgot to actually link the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQhz5ZmEH_4

e: his name is Frank, close enough.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 3, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Clitch posted:

I took some of my training on an er5, it was super nice and I was looking at the faired version (gpz500s) for a while as a cheap starter. Only passed it over in the end because finding proper luggage for it would have been a pain, and I needs ma hardcases.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Owned.

2007. 7K miles. Immaculate engine. Runs and shifts great. Personal bike of a lady who runs a bike rental (this wasn't a rental. She does all cruisers. Texas.txt)

I think I lucked into this bike, guys. We'll see.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Man that looks clean as hell, so much nicer naked with a round headlight than the goofy fairings!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Awesome first bike, you're gonna love it :cheers:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Congrats on the first bike!!! Now it's time to get you some decent protective gear~ ride safe

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Clitch posted:

Owned.

2007. 7K miles. Immaculate engine. Runs and shifts great. Personal bike of a lady who runs a bike rental (this wasn't a rental. She does all cruisers. Texas.txt)

I think I lucked into this bike, guys. We'll see.

Come hang out with us in the Dallas Thread

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

So yeah guys, I still haven't made a concrete decision re: new CRF250L vs DRZ-400S(M? probably not.). Turns out, they both weigh the same! DRZ has way more parts available, and more power stock.

I feel like the DRZ would suck less on roads between offroad trails. :cripes: Please, something awful dot com forums posters, you're my only hope!

e: the only reasons I'm not too hype about the DRZ is the bike is like a decade old and they're asking quite a premium for what you get... it's also carbureted, in TYOOL 2015

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 6, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'm kind of baffled how well DRZs hold their value. I can't get a clean one around here for less than 3.5k, even if it's a zillion years old.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
same here. even junkers go for $rape$

heh, I paid more for a rolling frame than I have for most prior bikes/cars, and I was able to drive them home.

E: yeah its old, its carburetored. but its not particularly broken so why fix it?

the little bsr carb can be fixed with a fcr swap pretty easily though. Its no YZ off road, or a EXC on, but it wasn't meant to be.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

AncientTV posted:

I'm kind of baffled how well DRZs hold their value. I can't get a clean one around here for less than 3.5k, even if it's a zillion years old.

My only choice is to buy new because of some circumstances. I guess I'm just wondering if I'd regret the cost of the DRZ, when I feel like the 6k is kind of high for really a dinosaur :p

I'll just have to test ride one and then be hooked when I see how easy they wheelie.

e: my goal here is to get the cheapest (also to insure) street legal off road bike while maximizing the fun I get out of said bike. I just feel like a 250 won't ~satisfy~ me. :gay:

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 6, 2015

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Tactical Lesbian posted:

My only choice is to buy new because of some circumstances.

e: my goal here is to get the cheapest (also to insure) street legal off road bike while maximizing the fun I get out of said bike.

???

If i had to buy new in that demographic of bikes I would choose a wr250r/x, but thats a pretty dumb idea. Buying a brand new drz is a really dumb though (sorry razzled/octopus). For any of those bikes they need a pipe and/or different fueling to "open" them up, so extra cost there. Buy one used so someone else can take a hit on those extra parts.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Tactical Lesbian posted:

My only choice is to buy new because of some circumstances. I guess I'm just wondering if I'd regret the cost of the DRZ, when I feel like the 6k is kind of high for really a dinosaur :p

I'll just have to test ride one and then be hooked when I see how easy they wheelie.

e: my goal here is to get the cheapest (also to insure) street legal off road bike while maximizing the fun I get out of said bike. I just feel like a 250 won't ~satisfy~ me. :gay:

You will regret it.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

velocross posted:

???

If i had to buy new in that demographic of bikes I would choose a wr250r/x, but thats a pretty dumb idea. Buying a brand new drz is a really dumb though (sorry razzled/octopus). For any of those bikes they need a pipe and/or different fueling to "open" them up, so extra cost there. Buy one used so someone else can take a hit on those extra parts.

Yeah.. I know :negative:

I think my best bet is to just get the CRF250L I've been looking at. It's cheap enough that I won't hate myself for buying new (there's one with 1,000 miles on it for 4k at the dealership?) and from what I've seen on youtube/read on forums, strong enough to hillclimb with a good start.

Thanks for the input and saving me from making a Dumb Decision™, velocross and Razzled.

if I ever do get a DRZ, it'll be a used SM from craigslist for super cheap and I'll ride the hell out of it!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

velocross posted:

???

He's right. You're definitely better off finding a used one if you can. But if you're having trouble finding a good used drz and don't mind paying a bit extra buying a new one isn't the worst thing ever. Chances are you can find a dealer with an older model and talk him down quite a bit. The extras are really not that much either honestly. I love my drz and it was definitely worth the price to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you buy a new DRZ, just beware of mailboxes for the first several week.s

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Have you considered a SuperDuke with knobbies?

e:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 6, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Have you considered a SuperDuke with knobbies?

e:

I've considered a 690 without knobbies. They look like fun, but not exactly a "take this thing anywhere" fun.

Sagebrush posted:

If you buy a new DRZ, just beware of mailboxes for the first several week.s

Haha, is that a jab at Razzled?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I've considered a 690 without knobbies. They look like fun, but not exactly a "take this thing anywhere" fun.

Haha, is that a jab at Razzled?

690 enduro?

Or, you know, just go whole hog and buy a plated trials bike.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

builds character posted:

690 enduro?

Or, you know, just go whole hog and buy a plated trials bike.

They're just sooo expensiiiive :negative:

I'm gonna go test ride the CRF on Tuesday

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

They're just sooo expensiiiive :negative:

I'm gonna go test ride the CRF on Tuesday

What are you trying to do here? I sorta asked the same question in the other thread, but the right bike choice depends on what you want to be doing. Is it mostly "adventure stuff" (ie, mostly on road, maybe a fireroad because driftin' fireroads is a goooood time), is it double track, single track, trailblazing? If you tell us what experience you want to have, we're probably going to lead you better on the bike front.

FWIW, there's basically nowhere I'd prefer a CRF250L over a DRZ400E or stripped down S model, and definitely no place I'd prefer it over an SM model unless you're planning on going mudding or somewhere where the knobbies really make a difference - unless you're in snotty mud, the 17s are more fun IMO than dual sport tires. I have some very fond memories of Spiffness, Zool, and me bombing up Washington state reservoir roads on supermotos like the bunch of idiot hooligans we are.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Z3n posted:

What are you trying to do here? I sorta asked the same question in the other thread, but the right bike choice depends on what you want to be doing. Is it mostly "adventure stuff" (ie, mostly on road, maybe a fireroad because driftin' fireroads is a goooood time), is it double track, single track, trailblazing? If you tell us what experience you want to have, we're probably going to lead you better on the bike front.

FWIW, there's basically nowhere I'd prefer a CRF250L over a DRZ400E or stripped down S model, and definitely no place I'd prefer it over an SM model unless you're planning on going mudding or somewhere where the knobbies really make a difference - unless you're in snotty mud, the 17s are more fun IMO than dual sport tires. I have some very fond memories of Spiffness, Zool, and me bombing up Washington state reservoir roads on supermotos like the bunch of idiot hooligans we are.

I'm trying to give your post in the other thread a good response but I'm real busy trying to convince my drunk friend IRL that guns are not evil :911: my bf and I are huge gun enthusiasts

I'm not 100% sure what I'm most interested in, offroad-wise, but I am planning for this bike to be a ~80% offroad Thing. Basically, I'll take it anywhere I can possibly challenge myself to. I'll find nearby stuff on Google maps and/or take it through the double/single tracks in the local state parks. I'd be super stoked to find some hills and see if the 250 (and my terrible dirt skills) can tackle them. I also need it to be street legal. I'd get a DRZ400S but because Reasons(TM) I have to buy new and I don't think it's worth it. I'll definitely get a DRZ400SM from craigslist at some point or another to braaap around on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tactical Lesbian posted:

but because Reasons(TM) I have to buy new
Don't finance a motorcycle that has a good chance of getting totaled. In fact, don't finance your first or second bike at all. It's horrendously bad with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Don't finance a motorcycle that has a good chance of getting totaled. In fact, don't finance your first or second bike at all. It's horrendously bad with money

I appreciate the advice, but ~4k is not a whole lot really, and this will be my.... sixth bike.