Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just picked out my division (Ch3 I think?) and I'm still quite lost. Should I follow the game story up to a certain chapter before I start aimlessly wandering? Are there any indicators while playing to show which indigens I need to be shanking for missions, or at least generally where they are on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Ciaphas posted:

I just picked out my division (Ch3 I think?) and I'm still quite lost. Should I follow the game story up to a certain chapter before I start aimlessly wandering? Are there any indicators while playing to show which indigens I need to be shanking for missions, or at least generally where they are on the map?

You'll want to clear chapter 3 (which unlocks squads) before veering too far off course, since you can't do affinity missions if you're on a story mission, and the first 3 chapters automatically force you into story missions. As for the second question, the only instance of the game not telling you the general zone for indigens that I've personally encountered is Lin's first affinity mission, and that's more because you're searching for the drop rather than the enemy itself.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PneumonicBook posted:

The combat in this is so much better than watching the preview videos made it seem. I'm not sure why I'm surprised, it's just an evolution of the system in Chronicles.

was my biggest concern as well and i'm glad how wrong i was

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

yes, quest-specific enemies will get a little green ! by their level

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
turns out I entered the wrong name in the spreadsheet lol

games good, Lin is a much better character than I anticipated

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Got about 4 hours in and my game pad completely poo poo the bed. Damnit.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Which characters have longsword/assault rifle arts?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm really loving the improved combat from Xenoblade, but I'm worried when Skells are introduced.

Gear combat in Xenogears was worse than on foot, mech combat was terrible in Xenosaga 2/3. The later you got into those games, the more and more it focused on mechs and gameplay went to poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god I want to take this little potato dork's lunch money and shove him back into that locker

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why do people hate tatsu again

I mean I just me the guy but I don't like hate the potato or anything and he's completely mute during the field so I often forget he's even a thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't hate him at all, it's just with those glasses and that voice I really, really want to shove him into a locker

He is prime locker-shoving material

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why do people hate tatsu again

I mean I just me the guy but I don't like hate the potato or anything and he's completely mute during the field so I often forget he's even a thing

He's exactly like Rikki, the problem is that Rikki had a much better introduction, was a tremendous badass, gameplay-wise, and had some nice conversations and interactions with the rest of the cast pretty soon.
Tatsu is just there and his gimmick is that Lyn wants to eat him and uh, ok.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I don't hate Tatsu but the game does suffer from a lack of a Stuff Tatsu Into The Fridge mechanic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there more than two Pawn Puges at FN 119 or do I have to keep re-fast travelling to get this drop for Lin?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tricky posted:

Which characters have longsword/assault rifle arts?

gwin. probably others too.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
I REALLY loving wish the missions that are "Get this thing by killing a certain enemy type" would highlight where that enemy is on the map in the same way the "Go kill this number of this thing" missions do. There is literally no reason that one type of mission highlights the map and another does not.

On a related note, where can I find Duogils? I need a thing for one of the Hulk Hogan commander guys affinity missions and I can't find any of the things that I can kill. I know they spawn at night, but the only place I've found them in Primordia they are level 24-25 and wreck my shithole (I'm level 18 on average). The mission requires level 16.

This game is legit the first game in over a decade that I feel I need to buy the strategy guide for just to know what the gently caress to do.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I loving love H.B. He's the kind of rear end in a top hat my party needed to balance out all the anime

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some server instability or something? I disconnect every so often and my net is fine and never has this issue with any other game.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there more than two Pawn Puges at FN 119 or do I have to keep re-fast travelling to get this drop for Lin?

If this is on Lin's first affinity quest, I think you can just go to the BLADE barracks and just purchase those with tickets from the squad computer in the back.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

jymbojones posted:

I REALLY loving wish the missions that are "Get this thing by killing a certain enemy type" would highlight where that enemy is on the map in the same way the "Go kill this number of this thing" missions do. There is literally no reason that one type of mission highlights the map and another does not.

On a related note, where can I find Duogils? I need a thing for one of the Hulk Hogan commander guys affinity missions and I can't find any of the things that I can kill. I know they spawn at night, but the only place I've found them in Primordia they are level 24-25 and wreck my shithole (I'm level 18 on average). The mission requires level 16.

This game is legit the first game in over a decade that I feel I need to buy the strategy guide for just to know what the gently caress to do.

Silent Mire at night, they're these big blue jellyfish dragon things, level 20 but I was killing them consistently at level 16. Not sure if it had to do with anything but try to kill their middle part first, that's what got the sixth one I killed to drop the thing.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

jymbojones posted:

On a related note, where can I find Duogils?

The Mire where you go into that Cave for the research node, or, Cliffside Beach. Im on it myself and uh, I can't seem to get it to drop. I think I need to cut off it's tentacles somehow but I have no idea how body targeting works.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm really loving the improved combat from Xenoblade, but I'm worried when Skells are introduced.

Gear combat in Xenogears was worse than on foot, mech combat was terrible in Xenosaga 2/3. The later you got into those games, the more and more it focused on mechs and gameplay went to poo poo.

Whaoh no. I wanted to be in the mechs in xenosaga all game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tipme posted:

The Mire where you go into that Cave for the research node, or, Cliffside Beach. Im on it myself and uh, I can't seem to get it to drop. I think I need to cut off it's tentacles somehow but I have no idea how body targeting works.

For me what's worked is moving the camera in awkward angles so the bit i want to target is the only thing on screen, then click the right stick to keep it there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I noticed on the box that this game has pro controller support. Where does the map go if you use it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I noticed on the box that this game has pro controller support. Where does the map go if you use it?

Nowhere. It's a legitimately inferior control scheme and you shouldn't use it unless you keep the gamepad nearby anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ozdhaka posted:

If this is on Lin's first affinity quest, I think you can just go to the BLADE barracks and just purchase those with tickets from the squad computer in the back.

I should have thought of that :downs:. Oh well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Nowhere. It's a legitimately inferior control scheme and you shouldn't use it unless you keep the gamepad nearby anyway.

That's pretty silly. Why couldn't they map it to a button for when you're not using the Game Pad with its lovely battery life? I don't think the minus button is used for anything.
There are some really weird oversights with this game that I don't understand at all.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ozdhaka posted:

Same with the mission later on "A day in the life", the fucker that drops the item you need has a nasty habit of 1 shotting my whole group, so just buying the item with tickets is much easier.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I started removing the armor from party members when kicking them out of the party. This really payed off when some showed up for a story mission and everyone was just running around in their underwear.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda wish you could control music/voice volume.
YEAH UH So what you're saying is thatYEAH UH UH YEAH and furthermore skells are very UH YEAH YEAH

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I dunno what people's beef is with this music, this poo poo is great. Cheesy as gently caress, but gently caress you, I love that poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Their problem as a whole is not the music itself, it's that the normalization is non-existent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The music needs to be lowered in cutscenes, but otherwise it's great

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really annoying when you can't find an enemy type for the squad task and you see like someone kill 1-2 of them but they never respond to free reports asking where they are. :(

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Does anyone know where anhydrous radiators are? Are they collectibles or do I need to kill monsters to get any? I'm doing a quest for a BLADE guy who's car got wrecked and he needs two of those.

Baal posted:

The music needs to be lowered in cutscenes, but otherwise it's great

Beef did you like the message I included in my friend request

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really annoying when you can't find an enemy type for the squad task and you see like someone kill 1-2 of them but they never respond to free reports asking where they are. :(

There should be an audio thing when they pop because I rarely notice those things.

Things that aren't obvious: the colors on the gamepad hexes indicate how much of your rear end will be kicked by going into a zone:

gray > purple > blue > green > yellow > orange > red

Where grey is no danger and red is super dangerous

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 6, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really love how monsters of all levels are running around the world, makes exploration super exciting since you gotta stealth it at times and hope that Tyrant turns around so you can book it.

In particular I got a probe going in a place with level 40s nearby, connected by a 'bridge' of stone I need to cross to really get anywhere if I fast travel to that, said bridge being guarded by two 30ish level creatures, it's a rush every time I go there to save time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Does anyone know where anhydrous radiators are? Are they collectibles or do I need to kill monsters to get any? I'm doing a quest for a BLADE guy who's car got wrecked and he needs two of those.

Beef did you like the message I included in my friend request

I actually didn't notice it, sorry. What was it

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
"We stuck on a whole different plaaaaanet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I dunno what people's beef is with this music, this poo poo is great. Cheesy as gently caress, but gently caress you, I love that poo poo.

My "beef" is that the NLA music is quickly threatening to burn itself into my cerebral cortex permanently. I think I'm even starting to smell smoke from up there.

• Locked thread