Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

If you're going to be replacing Tom with a younger, charismatic, progressive woman, and Megan Leslie isn't available...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PT6A posted:

No, lol, we can't have pot lounges because secondhand smoke is dangerous and bad; so dangerous and bad, in fact, that no person, even a smoker, should be able to consent to being exposed to such even if they acknowledge the inherent risk involved.

Or is that just for tobacco?

okay, have it be a vaporizer-only weed lounge

still bad?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Excelzior posted:

still bad?

Vancouver shut these down a few months ago (except for the one that predates the dispensaries and doubles as the HQ of the marijuana party)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Excelzior posted:

still bad?

Apparently I need to be really, really clear about posting sarcastically. No, I think in a space designated for that purpose, a person ought to be able to smoke any legal substance they wish, and if you don't like it, don't enter that space. This doesn't apply to restaurants or bars, or any other sort of public space, because they are not specifically catering to consumers of cigars/shisha/tobacco/weed/etc. Even so, there has been massive resistance to allowing this for shisha and cigar lounges, It is stupid, and it's equally stupid to be against a hypothetical weed-lounge/coffeeshop.

Have people sign a waiver if need be, just as you must in order to do potentially harmful activities like go-karting or paintball or poo poo.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Most of the dispensaries are run by organized crime .

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

Well I for one am completely shocked that organized crime would be heavily involved in an industry that's essentially illegal as it currently exists.

Wait... Isn't that the loving definition of organized crime?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OSI bean dip posted:

So all these happy branded pot shops all over Victoria are all HA or something? Are they all sort of working together under a large organized crime umbrella or rival groups control different shops?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So all these happy branded pot shops all over Victoria are all HA or something? Are they all sort of working together under a large organized crime umbrella or rival groups control different shops?

At the very least, I'm guessing it's like Rue Crescent in Montreal, which of course has no involvement with the mafia on any level. Everyone makes their money, and nothing unfortunate happens to any of the businesses involved, though...

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Baronjutter posted:

Played too much Saints Row 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Count Roland posted:

That stupid gently caress, why didn't he say poo poo like that during the campaign. I was telling a friend that if livestreamed something over twitch while talking politics he'd become a sensation. The only problem I thought was that he'd probably never played a game in his life.

Because undecided electorate was polling high in Battlefield.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

A number of them are sourcing their stuff from HA-operated grow-ops.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Maybe HA are the socially liberal fiscal conservative governors we've been waiting for?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Bill C-420: The Better Living Through Botany Act.

gently caress it. Bury it in an omnibus bill and invoke closure. I'm willing to make an exception for this one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/cbc-indigenous-staff-read-real-comments-1.3351635?cmp=abfb

Comments sections are wretched hives of scum and villainy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kim Wheeler is hilarious and Waubgeshig Rice is a really cool dude.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Even worse than lunch time in the Tim Hortons at the end of the world in the oldest community in Canada:

"Did you hear about that shooting in California?"
"And now they're going to let 25,000 more of them into Canada."
"I'm so frightened!"

Bonus points for the party member with a thick middle European accent and the frightened crone being the daughter of immigrants.

Seriously, just dust off and nuke Parksville from orbit. Take out whatever region is responsible for that "prairie friend of the family" term while you're at it. That disturbance you feel in the Force will be the median Canadian IQ rising 10 points. Wisdom of the Elders my arse.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hexigrammus posted:

Bonus points for the party member with a thick middle European accent and the frightened crone being the daughter of immigrants.

Seriously, just dust off and nuke Parksville from orbit. Take out whatever region is responsible for that "prairie friend of the family" term while you're at it. That disturbance you feel in the Force will be the median Canadian IQ rising 10 points. Wisdom of the Elders my arse.

I wonder what you'd be saying if you were fully aware of the refugees' political and social biases.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

I wonder what you'd be saying if you were fully aware of the refugees' political and social biases.

What do you suppose their political and social biases are? I was just out drinking with a Saudi guy and he seemed pretty unlikely to do a terrorism, all things considered. Syed Farook was born in the US, and as far as I know, most of the Paris attackers were born in western Europe. Apparently the people we really need to watch out for are the second generation from immigrant families. Or, as a novel experiment, we could try not treating them like poo poo, and see if maybe that could produce a good result.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He might also be referring to the fact that s lot of Muslims tend to be socially conservative. Well I don't know about you but I'd rather have an extra 25k people voting conservative in this country than dying in their own. Sorry I don't think being brought up conservative is worthy of death.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

He might also be referring to the fact that s lot of Muslims tend to be socially conservative. Well I don't know about you but I'd rather have an extra 25k people voting conservative in this country than dying in their own. Sorry I don't think being brought up conservative is worthy of death.

Same, though hopefully by the time they are eligible to vote they will realize the Conservatives didn't want them here in the first place.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That Mulcair tweet is so embarrassing it made me physically cringe...

They should have been topical and said he's been creating the perfect NDP settlements in Fallout 4

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Former BC Premier, Bill Bennett has died

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bill-bennett-died-1.3351863

quote:

Former B.C. premier Bill Bennett died Thursday night in Kelowna, B.C., at age 83, his brother Russell has told CBC News.

Bennett had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease for several years.

Bennett succeeded his father, former premier W.A.C. Bennett as leader of the B.C. Social Credit Party in 1973 and was elected premier in 1975, defeating then New Democratic leader Dave Barrett.

His victory — and two re-elections — returned the conservative Social Credit Party to an era of political domination in the province that would last until the NDP was returned to power in 1991.

In a statement Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid his respects to the former B.C. premier.

"On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends and colleagues of former British Columbia premier Bill Bennett," said Trudeau.

Trudeau described Bennett as a savvy politician and businessman who helped build the province and its reputation.

"He was a very capable and hard-working British Columbian who contributed enormously to his province and to our country. He will be remembered and honoured."

'He built his own legacy'

Reacting to news of Bennett's death on Friday, B.C. Premier Christy Clark said if there was one word associated with Bennett, it would be "builder."

"As the son of one of British Columbia's most iconic leaders, Bill Bennett not only emerged from his father's shadow — he built his own legacy," said B.C. Premier Christy Clark in a statement.

Clark said Bennett had a "natural, commanding presence" — the kind of person you couldn't help but notice when he entered the room.

"Throughout his career, he made an impression on people as a humble man, who believed in public service as a calling," she said. "He will be remembered as one of our greatest and most influential leaders."

Bennett's family spoke publicly about his battle with Alzheimer's in 2014, when longtime friend Charles Fipke pledged $9.1 million for research into the disease in the former premier's name.

'Ushered in modern era'

Bill bennett order of B.C.
Bennett received the Order of British Columbia in 2007, recognizing his work as a leader and builder in the province. (B.C. Government)

Bennett was honoured as a visionary and a builder in 2007 when he received the Order of British Columbia.

He was noted as the leader who brought Expo 86, the SkyTrain, the Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre and the Coquihalla Highway to B.C.

At the time, former premier Gordon Campbell praised Bennett as the man who "ushered us into the modern era."

When elected, Bennett had vowed to "get B.C.'s economy moving again," but he also zeroed in on the pocketbooks of virtually every British Columbian with measures such as a 40 per cent increase in provincial sales tax, a 140 per cent increase in premiums under the government's Autoplan insurance program and a 100 per cent increase in B.C. ferry fares.

In the early 1980s, Bennett gained a reputation as being hard-nosed after cutting thousands of jobs from B.C.'s public service despite massive protests from labour.

'He commanded tremendous loyalty'

Bennett's former cabinet colleagues remember him as a tough political fighter — but also funnier than the public may have known.

"A lot of people don't know this about him, because he had that dour look about him … but he was a very, very witty man," said Rafe Mair, who held the health and education portfolios in Bennett's cabinet, before becoming a well-known radio personality.

"We all would have crawled a mile on our hands and knees over broken glass for the guy. He commanded tremendous loyalty."

Former premier Bill Vander Zalm, who also served in Bennett's cabinet and succeeded him as premier, remembers Bennett as an understanding and sympathetic leader.

"He was a very, very hard worker. Totally committed to the province and its well-being and its progress. And he did a super good job."

Former member of the B.C. Legislature David Mitchell, who wrote a book about B.C.'s Social Credit administrations after those of Bennett's father, has a different view of Bennett the younger.

"He was known as a tough guy. He was never loved. There was never strong affection for him, but in terms of public policy and the impact he had on the province he was one of the more significant premiers in B.C.'s history."

Retired undefeated

Bennett retired undefeated from politics in 1986, a year that saw British Columbia host the World Exposition, a key turning point for the province's international reputation.

But Bennett's post-political career was by no means uncontroversial. In 1996, the B.C. Securities Commission found Bennett and his brother Russell, known as R.J., guilty of insider trading in relation to a U.S. lumber company's unsuccessful attempt to take over Doman Industries.

The commission found that the Bennetts sold shares of the company in 1988 using information provided by Doman Industries president Herb Doman. In 1999, the securities commission ordered the Bennett brothers and Doman to pay the commission $1 million to cover the costs of the case.

Bennett is survived by his wife of 60 years, Audrey, his brother Russell, four sons, eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

His family said in an obituary that Bennett cherished his time with them and had a quick wit and great sense of humour.

"Bill was competitive in all aspects of his life, whether in business, politics or the game he loved most — tennis," it said.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hexigrammus posted:

Take out whatever region is responsible for that "prairie friend of the family" term while you're at it.

How do black people feel about these kinds of slurs? There's one for middle-eastern people, too, but it's "sand" instead of "prairie."

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Leofish posted:

How do black people feel about these kinds of slurs? There's one for middle-eastern people, too, but it's "sand" instead of "prairie."

I too, wonder how black people feel about people getting called "friend of the family"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I too, wonder how black people feel about people getting called "friend of the family"

No, I mean, like, someone is using a slur against black people but against someone else by amending it with some kind of adjective to make a new slur.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Leofish posted:

No, I mean, like, someone is using a slur against black people but against someone else by amending it with some kind of adjective to make a new slur.

Still gonna guess pretty pissed off.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I believe the real question is "do black people feel like the word friend of the family is being misused when aimed at other minorities?" Like, similar to when Kleenex became the word for tissues, is the concern that "friend of the family" will become diluted by this use and black people will feel a formless rage of their slur being rendered a simple generic slur?

Ron_Jeremy
Sep 29, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

If you're going to be replacing Tom with a younger, charismatic, progressive woman, and Megan Leslie isn't available...

I think this is the first time in history the word "charismatic" was used in connection with Jenny Kwan. Unless the sentence went something like "Jenny Kwan makes Stephen Harper look charismatic".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's a testament to how poorly black people were and are treated in the English-speaking world that there's more than one slur for other ethnic groups based on a slur toward black people. In addition to "sand n-----" I've also heard the similar construction "dune coon." That's probably what black people would be most upset with: the fact that we've literally mistreated them so much in comparison to other groups that we need to reference the way we oppressed them when we're trying to be racist against other groups, because otherwise we feel we lack the sufficient vocabulary.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, it's like they are the pure platonic idea of inferior racial other that all other inferior others are held up against. North America is a wonderful place.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Christy Clark getting national media attention by saying a bunch of vaguely stupid things about Trudeau's senate reform plan is just her laying groundwork for her run at the CPC leadership, hope this helps.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She said a big nothing and I'm sure it will get people riled up or something or nothing :shrug:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Christy Clark getting national media attention by saying a bunch of vaguely stupid things about Trudeau's senate reform plan is just her laying groundwork for her run at the CPC leadership, hope this helps.

2017 can't come soon enough

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Franks Happy Place posted:

I can't honestly imagine her being worse than Harper, and win or lose it will get her out of Victoria, so maybe her being leader of the CPC won't be horrible?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I realize there's not much precedence in Canada for provincial leaders moving directly into federal politics but what's the protocol? Do you have to step down from your provincial office to run for leadership of a party?

If so, I and the rest of BC fully endorse Christy Clark for the Conservative leadership.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chicken posted:

I realize there's not much precedence in Canada for provincial leaders moving directly into federal politics but what's the protocol? Do you have to step down from your provincial office to run for leadership of a party?

If so, I and the rest of BC fully endorse Christy Clark for the Conservative leadership.

Ontario nominates Wynne and Brown. No refunds allowed.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ductonius posted:

I can't honestly imagine her being worse than Harper, and win or lose it will get her out of Victoria, so maybe her being leader of the CPC won't be horrible?

She is definitely less competent than Harper and her utter lack of principles and convictions make even the Federal Liberals look good in comparison.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

blah_blah posted:

She is definitely less competent than Harper and her utter lack of principles and convictions make even the Federal Liberals look good in comparison.

On the other hand she's probably unelectable federally.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Whiskey Sours posted:

On the other hand she's probably unelectable federally.

That is what I assumed when I said it might not be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Clark doesn't speak French and is probably too dumb to learn it.