Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbatical posted:

The man likes his RTD, I suppose. Can't blame him.

I don't think he really enjoys TV that he has to think about. I think his favourite programme from before I was born was The A-Team, and his favourite programme right now is NCIS. He's into all the Donald P. Bellisario stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't parse CapaldiEnglish.

Clara learns the Doctor was in the Dial for 4 billion years, she asks him why he'd do it, and he says "I have a duty of care"? Assuming I even heard it right, what does it mean?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

Clara learns the Doctor was in the Dial for 4 billion years, she asks him why he'd do it, and he says "I have a duty of care"? Assuming I even heard it right, what does it mean?

Him smashing against the diamond wall for 4 billion years wasn't just to free Gallifrey from the pocket dimension. He realized it was them manipulating him into telling them about the hybrid and, instead of going along with it and being freed as soon as he told them, he forced the system and broke through the link between the confession dial and Gallifrey. Since they were responsible for Clara's death (by manipulating Me into trapping him in the dial) he decided that he would force them to bring her back. Duty of care - as in as a Doctor he has a duty to care for his patient.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was messy as heck but I think in general it worked as a follow-up to Heaven Sent. The big thing the Time Lords did was subject The Doctor to billions of years of torture. That experience left him singlemindedly chasing the woman who got him through that torture, all other consequences be damned.

Maybe the hybrid stuff is not actually resolved? I don't think it matters, its importance in the context of season 9 is that it caused The Doctor's abduction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also a common legal term, meaning one party has a responsibility to protect another from loss or harm.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

Why do they keep bringing Gallifrey back and then doing absolutely jackshit with it? Going back to Gallifrey has lost all meaning at this point.

Moving Something Awful to the Matrix Cloud seems to have really screwed things up. We're getting posts from 1983, all of a sudden.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MisterBibs posted:

It means that he considers it his duty to care for her, or to put it another way, he feels obliged to protect her from harm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Moving Something Awful to the Matrix Cloud seems to have really screwed things up. We're getting posts from 1983, all of a sudden.

I remember reading one pre-finale blogger predicting what would happen in order of likelihood. The 3 most likely were something like :
*The Doctor will be declared Lord President, then sentenced to death.

*The Doctor will be sentenced to death then become Lord President

*The Doctor will be sentenced to death AND declared Lord President simultaneously

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spatula City posted:

also kinda like that Clara's now a sorta immortal (well, she'll have to go back to Gallifrey and die EVENTUALLY) in a TARDIS that looks like a 50's American diner. c'mon guys that is COOL, that is VERY COOL.

:agreed:

I am sad the episode didn't end on the Doctor opening up the Tardis and finding River there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

:agreed:

I am sad the episode didn't end on the Doctor opening up the Tardis and finding River there.

Capaldi and Kingston make a really cute couple, bee tee dubs.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In my day, companions didn't get long, epic goodbyes. They crashed into the Earth's surface and that was it!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

Capaldi and Kingston make a really cute couple, bee tee dubs.

That would be why I'm very enthusiastic about River's return.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Well, that was kinda weird in the end, but ultimately I liked it. I almost cried myself near the end whenever Clara broke down (especially when the Doctor said "Oh I know if I met her I'd know it" and Clara almost breaks down right there) out of pure sympathetic emotion. I liked the yes-but-no nature of the Clara/Me thing: the universe is broken because she's alive when she shouldn't be, but she will eventually go back to Gallifrey to die, so the universe is healed and the audience doesn't have to worry about it. It's already happened.

But dammit it all if the whole idea that The Doctor has to forget Clara is just so godawful :smith:. Like, one of the things about the Doctor is that while he doesn't always bring them up, he remembers everyone he was with.

A bit of a plot hole or ambiguity: Do you think the Doctor figured it out / decided not to pursue it when he noticed the picture of Clara on his TARDIS? Put two and two together?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 6, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MisterBibs posted:

A bit of a plot hole or ambiguity: Do you think the Doctor figured it out / decided not to pursue it when he noticed the picture of Clara on his TARDIS? Put two and two together?

I think he remembered JUST enough to know not to chase her. The details and memories of Clara are gone, but the story is finished in his head.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CobiWann posted:

In my day, companions didn't get long, epic goodbyes. They crashed into the Earth's surface and that was it!

Or fell in love with some guy they just met and left. "So long, Doctor! I've got a new boyfriend!" and no need for anything else.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Spatula City posted:

also kinda like that Clara's now a sorta immortal (well, she'll have to go back to Gallifrey and die EVENTUALLY) in a TARDIS that looks like a 50's American diner. c'mon guys that is COOL, that is VERY COOL.

Yes, this owns and it's better than her dying with no follow up due to her failed loophole in Face The Raven. That's ultimately what I wanted in this episode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

But dammit it all if the whole idea that The Doctor has to forget Clara is just so godawful :smith:. Like, one of the things about the Doctor is that while he doesn't always bring them up, he remembers everyone he was with.

I'm not worried about it. If Jenna's ever able to return for an actual episode, it'll be retconned like everything else eventually is (and also great because yay Jenna). And if not, we'll still get at least a few Big Finish audios with her and Maisie

It's sad, but after all the teases of resolution that happened, the Doctor/Clara story desperately needed an ending that stuck for minimum 1 month, and at least it'll finally get that

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My dvr cut out right at the end. Can someone post a clip or tell me what Clara said to the Doctor at the end? She started to remind him that "stories are just memories that we've forgotten" then the recording ended!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

My dvr cut out right at the end. Can someone post a clip or tell me what Clara said to the Doctor at the end? She started to remind him that "stories are just memories that we've forgotten" then the recording ended!

She suggested that maybe this memory became a song instead (meaning her leitmotif that the Doctor had been playing since he walked into her TARDIS), then she went into the 'bathroom' which was actually the console room where Ashildr was, and the diner dematerialises around the Doctor, letting him find his regular police box TARDIS with Rigsy's graffiti tribute still on it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

jojoinnit posted:

Exactly what she said isn't revealed. She says "maybe some memories become songs" and the Doctor plays Clara's theme again. HOWEVER, the Doctor later finds the Tardis all graffiti'd up from episode 9, and inside he finds a blackboard where Clara has written "Run you clever boy and be a Doctor"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Said something about how stories could be in songs too, so he turned and played the guitar a bit while she opened the door the poster was on, went in her Tardis (with Me already inside), closed it, and flew off, making the diner disappear and showing the Doctor was still outside. His Tardis was in front of him, and he went in, got his jacket, got a new screwdriver, saw the chalkboard (Clara wrote "Run, you clever boy and be a doctor" on it), started up his Tardis and flew off. Cut to both Tardises flying in different directions

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think this was a very good story, but it was all about character. Gallifrey, Hybrids, cloister wraiths, it was all in service of setting up Clara's final departure. Some of it was a tad drawn out (mostly the standoff at the barn) but it was worth it for how it worked out.

A good ending for both characters. Clara will go adventuring for as long as she can, and the Doctor has lost something but maybe knows the kind of person he is a bit better as a result.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Interesting that (judging at least from Reddit, magazine review comments, and my Facebook friends) unlike this thread most of the Internet seems to be gushing over this finale. I thought it was OK, a bit bemusing -- messy is right.

Very disappointed nothing was really made of the cloister wraiths, and in general I agree that Gallifrey seemed kind of superfluous. I'd be surprised if it isn't revisited next series though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god that console room.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MisterBibs posted:

Well, that was kinda weird in the end, but ultimately I liked it. I almost cried myself near the end whenever Clara broke down (especially when the Doctor said "Oh I know if I met her I'd know it" and Clara almost breaks down right there) out of pure sympathetic emotion. I liked the yes-but-no nature of the Clara/Me thing: the universe is broken because she's alive when she shouldn't be, but she will eventually go back to Gallifrey to die, so the universe is healed and the audience doesn't have to worry about it. It's already happened.

I like to think he realized, but decided to let it alone. It makes sense, because he knows what he did for her, and thus the danger if the two are back together. If he remembered her, he'd go after her, but he only knows the hole she left so his rationality prevails.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was rad as hell. Great departure for Clara, Capaldi got to act his rear end off, Ashildr came off better than she'd ever done beforehand, brilliant direction, and Rassilon's a twit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Rassilon totally shoulda been played by Pierce Brosnan.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think he really enjoys TV that he has to think about. I think his favourite programme from before I was born was The A-Team, and his favourite programme right now is NCIS. He's into all the Donald P. Bellisario stuff.

Quantum Leap is Bellisario and was one of the best shows ever.

I liked this finale and I think at the very least was a great switch on how a companion usually leaves the show. This time the Doctor is the one who is separated from the companion and not the other way around. The episode is all over the place but I think Capaldi and Coleman pulled up the script to make it better.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IceAgeComing posted:

it was nice of moffat to let doctor who film in his living room again

If you're referring to the Hartnell console room, is "his" living room Moffat's or Capaldi's? :allears:

Jerusalem posted:

That was... strange. Not bad, but very weird, and the "Hybrid" stuff never worked for me all season and finally getting it all put into context didn't do anything to change that.

I like the way it was all basically a dumb MacGuffin that really didn't matter. A fakeout for what the real story was. I'm not being sarcastic, I really liked that.

Cerv posted:

and there's not a million Mire hanging out with Ashilder at the End of Time (again)

When she said "not even the other immortal have gotten this far" she means "this far down the hall." Because Jack and a bunch of Mire are totally having an end of the universe orgy in the next room. With the Futurekind.

Jerusalem posted:

All season I felt like Clara being too Doctor-like was building to an ending where she'd realize that it wasn't emotionally healthy for her to be in this relationship, and it was time to move on, properly grieve for Danny and start a new life. In the end she did grasp that she and the Doctor needed to part ways, but managed to still continue to live the life of wild sci-fi adventure she craved - so she never really faced up to the grief of losing Danny, so it does make it feel to me like her character never got the healthy emotional closure she needed.

Yeah, the realization that the two of them were in a self (and universe)-destructive relationship was quite apt.

Stabbatical posted:

Also, this is something that's been bugging me about Moffat's stuff for years. He's never seemed content to just pick up the ball and run with it instead of changing the markings of the pitch to his liking.

Moffat had one tough thing to do here, and I think he pulled it off well. As I've said before, he (and RTD before him) have created this trap where it's really tough for new companions to just go away and live their lives. They have no compelling reason not to travel with the Doctor forever, or at least until they are physically incapable. The only two who walked away of their own volition were Jack and Martha, because "I must go. My home planet needs me." Otherwise you have them trapped in alternate universes, some unknown point in the past, mindwiped because they'll explode, or trapped in the body of a white girl a computer.

And with Clara he tried out here exit 3 times. There was him leaving her til she was too old to travel anymore in Last Christmas. There was her self sacrifice in Face the Raven. But Moffat had to try one final do over, and what he did was quite clever. Instead of the Doctor wiping her mind and abandoning her, she wiped his mind and abandoned him. A very neat inverse of what we were expecting. Letting her and eleventy trillion year old Ashdlr jaunt off in their own TARDIS for future Big Finish adventures was a cherry on the top. ("Coming soon to Big Finish --they're two single, broke waitresses in a Time and Space diner trying to make the ends of the universe meet--it's Two Immortal Girls!")

I think the only misstep in this episode was Rassilon seemed kinda whiney and nerfed. I think they should have had this guy just be a new Lord President and made some throwaway line about chucking Rassilon back into his tomb for safekeeping since they didn't need him anymore. I guess that would have made the Doctor's anger with him lose some gravitas, but then again, the proper gravitas towards the founder of their society who came back and led them during the Time War, presumably ordering all sorts of atrocities, isn't really there as it is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh and totally loving DUNKING on what Ten did in Journey's End. That was fan loving tastic.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is the Doctor Who you get when you really don't give a poo poo any more and find plots too difficult to finish so why bother. Guess I'll be going back to classic Who, at least then they knew how stories work.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ewe2 posted:

This is the Doctor Who you get when you really don't give a poo poo any more and find plots too difficult to finish so why bother. Guess I'll be going back to classic Who, at least then they knew how stories work.

This is the Doctor Who you get when you decide you want to tell a story about character relationships but have to deal with nerds who complain when there's a sci-fi mythos plotarc and then complain when the arc's actually a red herring and it was supposed to be about the characters all along.

Which it OBVIOUSLY loving was. and that's been Moffat's modus operandi, for better or worse, for a solid five years, and everyone who still hasn't gotten that the sci-fi stuff is Not What Matters (except as a means to an end) really is thick.

Like people were complaining "oh no the HYBRID, how CONTRIVED" and when the loving episode makes the inanity and strangeness of the "Hybrid" plot a plot point in and of itself no one loving GETS THAT THAT WAS THE POINT.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm sure you all hated it but I thought that was delightful. I just read the AV Club's review of the episode and agreed with it 100%. The first half was a little whatever, but the second half hit enough of an emotional resonance with me that I choked up. Wonderful episode of television and a fantastic ending to a wonderful season/series.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I'm just sad they killed the General dude, I liked the actor.

I dunno. It was a show, I guess. I liked some parts, some parts were stupid, and then it ended.

I'd laugh if the High Command come back to Gallifrey, immediately seize remote control of the other Tardis and bring Clara back to die because uh they're the Time Lords, they're assholes like that. And they chuck Maisie Williams (both of whose character names are loving stupid and I refuse to use) into a black hole or something.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I really enjoyed that. Not as good as last week, but was anyone really expecting it to be?

Astroman posted:

I like the way it was all basically a dumb MacGuffin that really didn't matter. A fakeout for what the real story was. I'm not being sarcastic, I really liked that.

DoctorWhat posted:

That was rad as hell. Great departure for Clara, Capaldi got to act his rear end off, Ashildr came off better than she'd ever done beforehand, brilliant direction, and Rassilon's a twit.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rassilon totally shoulda been played by Pierce Brosnan.

I fully agree with all of these things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

After watching Doctor Who, I feel a need to be weirdly pedantic and obsess over small details, so let me say that I like the new sonic screwdriver's look and I'll be happy if we're seeing the backside of the sonic sunglasses. The sunglasses made me go, "Okay, I see what they're doing here and I like the idea, but not the execution." It was like this season was about the Doctor's mid-life crisis and trying to fool himself that he's still as cool as he was forty years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fucks sake.

Can someone please explain in a concise way, what the gently caress happened in the last three episodes? Because it was god awful writing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Fucks sake.

Can someone please explain in a concise way, what the gently caress happened in the last three episodes? Because it was god awful writing.

Or maybe you're just not as quick as your avatar would suggest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not blind or deaf... I'm also not the Flash.

How about you try and explain around the bad writing and tell me what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really liked that episode. The Doctor not giving a poo poo about anything but saving Clara was great.

I don't get how people can be confused about what happened. Clara died, the Doctor was sent into a trap by Ashildir and the Time Lords in order for him to reveal who the hybrid was, the Doctor said "gently caress that" and brute forced his way out of the trap which took over 4 billion years, then used Time Lord technology to rescue Clara the moment before her death.

Now the Doctor can't remember her, she's off in a Tardis with Ashildir having adventures, and the Doctor is on to the next adventure.

• Locked thread