Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's about the enter a really drama heavy arc, so that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

So besides that, how's the show?

the fights are really cool and the rest is ok

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's the SIlver Link anime of the season that they're actually paying attention to instead of the one that's getting punted out at breakneck pace (35th Platoon) as shown in all the stupid nonsense they're pulling off with the "Sport that is not at all Badminton" gag and everything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's the SIlver Link anime of the season that they're actually paying attention to instead of the one that's getting punted out at breakneck pace (35th Platoon) as shown in all the stupid nonsense they're pulling off with the "Sport that is not at all Badminton" gag and everything.

35th is certainly doing interesting things, but it also is rushing things. In the latest episode there was a point where it felt like they had skipped a half or whole episode worth of Things Happening.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That's what I meant. Seriously, I think it goes though LN's at like two eps a piece.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
It's strange, but somehow watching these shows together improves both of them. I don't even know why.

Maybe it's because, despite being almost literally the same show, they have very different strengths and weaknesses. Internally I'm probably editing the better bits together into a single optimal whole.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Classy Hydra posted:

It's strange, but somehow watching these shows together improves both of them. I don't even know why.

Maybe it's because, despite being almost literally the same show, they have very different strengths and weaknesses. Internally I'm probably editing the better bits together into a single optimal whole.

That is my feeling.

I still feel that asterisk has better side characters, except yuri, yuri is entirely best teacher

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Up til now I definitely agree. But, i think the new batch of people in Chivalry seem pretty cool, I like Catgirl Flash especially. If only there was a way to trade Ikki's sister for Saya.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think there was any single character in asterisk that i had greater than neutral feelings about, tbh

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I'm up to about episode 5 on each.

On a whole, Chivalry's writing is a little stronger and more natural, but I feel Asterisk deals with somewhat more interesting concepts. The side characters are honestly pretty forgettable on either side, but aside from Alice and possibly the principal, Asterisk has the more interesting recurring cast. I feel like Chivalry's side characters are an unwelcome distraction more often than not.

I like the dynamic between the main leads in both shows. Chivalry obviously took a bit of a leap by making them date early on, but honestly it doesn't feel like Asterisk is that far behind; making them be 'partners' for the tournament basically functions as a stand-in for a romantic relationship anyway. I feel that Ikki is somewhat blander than Ayato, but that's not so much a problem since Stella is basically the viewpoint character of Failed Knight, which is an intriguing writing decision at least. The only real problem coming from that is that it means most of Ikki's conflict comes from what people tell us about him rather than what we see him think, since we're not frequently in his head; still, it's interesting to see the usual "troubled heroine saved by male protagonist" cliche reversed by making the princess the one who supports her male love interest. On the other hand, I do enjoy Julis' more muted tsundere schtick.

Finally, I think Asterisk has better character designs, but obviously far worse battle scenes, so it's sort of a wash between the two. I'm enjoying both at any rate, more than I expected to.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i find ikki way, way more interesting than asterisk's mc. you see, asterisk's mc has the personality of a somewhat uninteresting rock, while ikki at least has his stupid edgy family conspiracy and his blatant power fantasy garbage to inject some color into his personality. he's certainly more entertaining, at any rate.

i honestly don't think i could say anything in particular at all about asterisk's mc. he uh. he was there for things, and reacted occasionally...? he was ridiculously forgettable in pretty much every way, even his visual design was boring as hell if i recall.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ikki doing the stupid "accidentally walk in a girl changing" thing was at least entertaining because his response was "wait, i know where this is going, i'm gonna try taking off my clothes too"

this alone is a revolutionary and bold display of personality that asterisk's mc never lives up to

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Personality traits of Chivalry's protagonist: prude, self righteous, masochist

At lease he's better than that one girl's father, who gambled away their house trying to beat up a teenager, then almost left his daughter an orphan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
but who would win in a fight

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I would

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

At lease he's better than that one girl's father, who gambled away their house trying to beat up a teenager, then almost left his daughter an orphan.

it was the best time of his life

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Also they kept calling him "The Last Samurai", but not in japanese. They always said "Last-o Samurai".

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
he is secretly tom cruise

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is a world where "having good reflexes" is called "Marginal Counter" in English for no reason.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sasamiya got a half decent fight this episode, and I just like Lester for some reason.

The rest was pretty drat embarrassing. Incest vampire is bad on its own, but it's double bad since I can't stand settings with outrageously imbalanced power sets. Blooksucking vampire gravity scythe vs axe is not an interesting match.

EDIT: Except when the axe wins, because underdogs are fun.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Asterisk is bleh.

Chivalry had a very fun fight today.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I somehow, after all this time, can't believe that both shows had a "if i rub your giant boobs, maybe mine will get bigger" gag today.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

I somehow, after all this time, can't believe that both shows had a "if i rub your giant boobs, maybe mine will get bigger" gag today.

Are you sure you didn't watch the same show twice by accident?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Serious Frolicking posted:

Are you sure you didn't watch the same show twice by accident?

Both shows had the gag.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I have seen through the fog of illusion. There are not two shows, but one. They are as yin and yang, different, but the same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading the comments section for both these series, and it seems that a lot of people take these wish-fulfillment LN adaptation anime really seriously. There are all these arguments between people who prefer one over the other that are reminiscent of console wars or something.

I can understand people enjoying bad shows. I enjoyed a lot of terrible anime when I was young also. What I can't understand is people who genuinely believe these shows are extremely good. I mean, I watched stuff like Love Hina when I was a teen, but I didn't honestly think that it was one of the best shows ever or something. By the same note, I doubt most people who listen to pop music honestly believe that Taylor Swift (or whoever) is one of the greatest artists who has ever lived.

I'm honestly fascinated by what sort of mindset would lead a person to watch a show like asterisk/chivalry/mahouka and think "Wow. This is the best show I've ever seen." What is it that they think is to profound and great about these shows?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm honestly fascinated by what sort of mindset would lead a person to watch a show like asterisk/chivalry/mahouka and think "Wow. This is the best show I've ever seen." What is it that they think is to profound and great about these shows?
My guess is it's just because they're inexperienced in story telling and its complexities, probably because they're young. Everyone starts out there. Even I used to think the story telling in something like Tales of Symphonia was incredible and everyone else can always find something like that in their past.

It's probably also not being able to tell the difference between something being enjoyable and good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Pavlov posted:

yin and yang

But that would mean that one of them is actually good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

I think the message that the main character is actually super awesome even if none of his peers, including his family, treat him that way is tailor-made to resonate with a certain age range. I mean, sure, teenagers loved Love Hina because boobs, but these shows are promoting an actual worldview that underachieving children desperately want to believe. They want to believe that the world is failing them, and not that they're failing their parents. I mean, it's very comforting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Blue hair chick, that's not how you hold your sword. Blue hair please.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Tsundere Princess Girl: "So, Ikki, I notice you have a raging hardon and I think you should gently caress me."

Ikki: "No, I can't because [NONSENSICAL ANIME REASONS]"

I guess there's a reason he's called the Worst One.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

You forgot the part where she internalizes it as her being a slut.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I like how he says that by having sex with her he can't be proud in front of the family he despises.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nalin posted:

I like how he says that by having sex with her he can't be proud in front of the family he despises.

I guess I don't understand how having sex with his girlfriend impacts any of that anyways

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Don't have sex 'till your're married kids. Jesus Bushido says so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I guess I don't really understand why Ikki is supposed to be a huge disgrace to the family by being among the top dogs at the academy and bagging himself a real life goddamn princess? Like, what is the Kurogane family's motivation to sabotage him at this point?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess I don't really understand why Ikki is supposed to be a huge disgrace to the family by being among the top dogs at the academy and bagging himself a real life goddamn princess? Like, what is the Kurogane family's motivation to sabotage him at this point?

Standard ln stuff, they hate him for being too awesome.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a family of high-profile, powerful mages and he barely has any magic power. They are embarrassed that they produced a runt and don't want people to know he exists. Him becoming so strong works against that desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pavlov posted:

Don't have sex 'till your're married kids. Jesus Bushido says so.

Which is an odd message, given Japan's declining population. You'd think they'd be all "jump her bones, dude, we need more pureblooded Japanese badasses like you in the gene pool!"

• Locked thread