Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Kiranamos posted:

Dang, his enthusiasm and precise wordplay are infectious.

I feel bad for Jason - He clearly has a ton of passion for games if you see the kind of stuff he does, but he's just so awkward. There's someone like that in every gaming group I've been in, and I'd still rather watch a review/play a game with that type of person than a Sam Healey. Thankfully Sam just sticks to retreading his old favorites rather than talking about new games I want to find out about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Par for the course for the dice tower. You add them all up and you get the social skills of a kindergarten classroom.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This thread in video form.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

It's not really like risk. If you're familiar with Star Wars: The Queens Gambit, it's a very streamlined version of that game. (If you're not, it was an Avalon Hill wildly overproduced Episode 1 game that commands crazy money now).
Essentially, you have three battles (Endor, Death Star, Vader vs Luke) being played out at the same time on three boards. What happens on one can influence the others. It's not something we'd normally recommend here, but it's pretty good for a Star Wars game, and definitely better than most of the dreck that Hasbro puts out. The biggest issue is it's got a ton of dice based resolution.

Thank you for your help!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Shut up about CAH and go play in a Dungeon Lords PBP instead.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I know it's routinely praised, but how does the thread generally find Twilight Struggle?

I love the idea of the theme, but I'm uncertain as to how well such a long game will fly with the group that I play with.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's a 2 player game, so it doesn't matter what all but one of them think about it :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Testro posted:

I know it's routinely praised, but how does the thread generally find Twilight Struggle?

I love the idea of the theme, but I'm uncertain as to how well such a long game will fly with the group that I play with.

It's also only 2 hours long and play is pretty fast

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Testro posted:

It's a bloody fantastic game, but it is a very intense head to head experience that rewards multiple plays. It speeds up some with experience, but it's always gonna be a ~2-3hr experience unless someone gets an early win.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Testro posted:

I find it terrific. The theme is integrated very well into the game; there's an exciting dynamic where the current battlefield region is always changing. It's a long game but you can play in 2-3 hours once players are more experienced. Despite having deep mechanics it's not too complex to learn -- my only special advice with new players would be to go easy on some of the automatic losses, like DEFCON suicides.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Finally got Argent to the table. I love Argent. I am going to get the Shadow ghost icon as a tattoo. gently caress meeples, get ghosts.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Brilliant, thanks guys. One of my mates is a bit more of a serious gamer than the others, so I think it'd be perfect for him for Christmas.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a 2 player game, so it doesn't matter what all but one of them think about it :v:

I don't doubt that Twilight Struggle is great, but I can't believe that the official Best Boardgame In The World is a game that can only handle exactly 2 players and was designed by a dude who never made another game before or after it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm sorry, but 2 player is the best player count.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I played my first game of Orleans last night while waiting for our #4 to show up. We really enjoyed fumbling around for our first game, but I'll be interested to see how it holds up after a few more plays. The Town Hall lead to some good drama while racing for the last spots of the various sections.

Then we got to the meat of the night: Pandemic Legacy. Holy. poo poo. Probably my game of the year already. We were so much more emotionally invested than normal Pandemic because you change the board. And holy crap did we lose SO BAD in the first game (the most vanilla of the games obviously). Like...basically back to back epidemics lead to all 8 outbreaks by the time everyone had 2 turns. The "legacy" aspects of it are already great and everyone is chomping at the bit to play more and get further in the game. HIGHLY recommended if you even slightly enjoy co-op's.

Picked up RollFTG: Ambition. Excited to give the new dice and goals a spin.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

I don't doubt that Twilight Struggle is great, but I can't believe that the official Best Boardgame In The World is a game that can only handle exactly 2 players and was designed by a dude who never made another game before or after it.

I don't like it very much. The influence system feels more like a slap fight than a tug of war, the dice rolling can be kind of dumb, and some of the cards like red scare and bear trap are just wonky and frustrating. Much like Dominion I understand why people like it so much but it just aggravates me to play it. I'd rather play combat commander or sekigahara fora two player cdg-ish game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

CaptainRightful posted:

and was designed by a dude who never made another game before or after it.

No, Ananda Gupta has made other games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a question, thread. My dad asked me to find a board game to play with him and mom - it'll just be three players, and we're looking for something fun and without a highly competitive element. We've played a variety of card games - Hearts and Spades are the most common ones, we've played Ticket to Ride (fun with 4+ players but when it's just us three we don't relax into it), we've had fun with Forbidden Island and Love Letters, but we didn't click with Pandemic. Fluxx was a fun experiment, but that worked better with two players.

I'm looking at Dominion or Carcassone to see if those popular games would work, but, well, I turn to the thread for guidance: what would be a good low-stress game for three players?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a question, thread. My dad asked me to find a board game to play with him and mom - it'll just be three players, and we're looking for something fun and without a highly competitive element. We've played a variety of card games - Hearts and Spades are the most common ones, we've played Ticket to Ride (fun with 4+ players but when it's just us three we don't relax into it), we've had fun with Forbidden Island and Love Letters, but we didn't click with Pandemic. Fluxx was a fun experiment, but that worked better with two players.

I'm looking at Dominion or Carcassone to see if those popular games would work, but, well, I turn to the thread for guidance: what would be a good low-stress game for three players?

King of New York

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My parents loved (3+ player) Dominion, because it's a very constructive game - even when you lose (as long as it wasn't a huge blowout) you still built something and you can look at what you built, and what everyone else built, and see how they stacked up against each other. It sounds like your folks would be similar, if they enjoy open 4-player Ticket to Ride but not knife-fight-blocking-each-other 3-player Ticket to Ride.

So Dominion I think would be super-good. Other "constructive" games would be 7 Wonders and Caverna, which all share the theme of secretly being quite competitive (instead of just being down to luck), but even when you lose you still accomplished something productive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jabor posted:

My parents loved (3+ player) Dominion, because it's a very constructive game - even when you lose (as long as it wasn't a huge blowout) you still built something and you can look at what you built, and what everyone else built, and see how they stacked up against each other. It sounds like your folks would be similar, if they enjoy open 4-player Ticket to Ride but not knife-fight-blocking-each-other 3-player Ticket to Ride.

So Dominion I think would be super-good. Other "constructive" games would be 7 Wonders and Caverna, which all share the theme of secretly being quite competitive (instead of just being down to luck), but even when you lose you still accomplished something productive.

Brilliant advice, thank you. This sounds like it'll be up our alley - one of the most satisfying things about Ticket to Ride was looking at our train empires afterwards, after all.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

StrixNebulosa posted:

Brilliant advice, thank you. This sounds like it'll be up our alley - one of the most satisfying things about Ticket to Ride was looking at our train empires afterwards, after all.

Splendor

7 Wonders is infinitely better than Dominion with three players.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are we still posting bad YT boardgamers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3A87gWKXcQ

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jabor posted:

I honestly find 7W at its worst with 3 players, because (A) it guarantees everybody will see each hand twice and (B) it loses the "global" dynamic where there are players at the table with whom you cannot directly interact.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Broken Loose posted:

I honestly find 7W at its worst best with 3 players, because (A) it guarantees everybody will see each hand twice and (B) it loses the "global" dynamic where there are players at the table with whom you cannot directly interact.

With the one word change this is exactly my opinion

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

Does anyone know if a Lost Legion reprint is likely? It's out of stock most places and priced above MSRP at the few places that have copies.

You've checked the local FLGS-s around the area? I was in a comic shop the other day and they had it on the shelf for list. I searched ebay as I seem to recall it being talked about as hard to get and frankly the prices were unremarkable. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to source based on my limited world view.

Played Codenames tonight. I simply need a different group than family. Kid's all had to take a shot at captain and none of them could do more than a single card clue. Others couldn't stop pointing at the tile they were targeting on the key letting everyone know what area they should be looking in. Oh, and somebody turned on a TV within sight of the game. I got called out for being a bad sport when I got frustrated that nobody was paying attention and their attitudes sucked.

Here's a good rule of thumb: Don't try and get people who are not interested in playing something to sit down and play something.

All that frustration aside, I did have two (out of four) games play out ridiculously lopsided even if the players would have been paying attention. One team MAY have been able to get 2 of their cards to relate into a single clue while the other would be tossing out 4 and 5 card clues. I don't want to belabor the point and relive the whole thing in boring detail for you, but when somebody says "Fish: 5" and you glance down and can call out all 5 in a blink...dunno. I'll certainly try again with other people, but I wasn't insta-loving the game.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Game night report: I finally got to play Dominion with other humans! The two people I played it with really liked it, and were eager to dive into it a couple of times.

We also played Dixit, which I bought a year or two ago and never got to play either. This was a big hit too, and the two people I was playing with, a husband and wife duo, were rattling off a list of people they thought might also enjoy the game. That to me is a sign that you've really got a hit -- when the other players start thinking about who they'd love to share the game with.

Edit: I won most of the games we played, which made me cringe a bit. They didn't seem to be put off by that, though. Still, I like to mix in games that I'm bad at, so I don't become The Game Guy Who Wins All the Games He Brought. Coup's great for this. I loving love Coup and so do most of my friends, but I'm godawful at it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

mr sad posted:

Coup's great for this. I loving love Coup and so do most of my friends, but I'm godawful at it.

Dungeon Lords is that game for me. I love the game to death but I am absolutely terrible at it. The remarkable thing is that I always feel like I'm doing well, and then the scores are tallied and I'm in last or next-to-last place every single time. I also rarely win Blood Bowl: Team Manager even though it's my game and nobody else in my group owns it.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I lasted twenty seconds, how long did you last?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Dungeon Lords is that game for me. I love the game to death but I am absolutely terrible at it. The remarkable thing is that I always feel like I'm doing well, and then the scores are tallied and I'm in last or next-to-last place every single time. I also rarely win Blood Bowl: Team Manager even though it's my game and nobody else in my group owns it.

I've only ever won like 3 games of Kemet out of all the ones we've played but I still love it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MrDru posted:

I actually watched the whole drat thing. Somehow.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Kai Tave posted:

I've only ever won like 3 games of Kemet out of all the ones we've played but I still love it.

Any game with more than two players will end with most of the players losing. It is a necessary feature for a good game to be fun to lose.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Broken Loose posted:

I honestly find 7W at its worst with 3 players, because (A) it guarantees everybody will see each hand twice and (B) it loses the "global" dynamic where there are players at the table with whom you cannot directly interact.

Is it opposite day in the BG thread?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XhFSIqeMIg

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I played a game of Forbidden Stars today. My group always seems to play slowly, so it took way too long, but I enjoyed it more than I though I would.

We played a four player game, with myself as the Space Marines. I got one of my objective tokens pretty quickly, but then the other players moved the warp storms and pretty much blocked me on my side of the board for a few rounds. I managed to get a few units on a planet with a factory, which let me extend to grab two more tokens, but then I had no way to expand further. The warp storms prevented me from moving ships into the sectors where I had my main forces, and the void areas were filled with other ships, so I wasn't able to build any. I was able to defend some planets that the others were vying for, and managed a win with 3 points, where the others had 2, 2, and 1.

I really liked how the action allocation worked, with your first actions generally getting resolved last, and I liked the way upgrading your combat cards worked. We didn't get to use a lot of our combat card abilities though. Lots of them say to add a die to your roll, but more often than not, everyone was rolling 8 dice at the onset. I don't know if this was a misplay on our parts, but I always moved in lots of units so I could to make sure I could absorb hits without killing units.

As much as I found them annoying, I did find the warp storms to be an interesting way of implementing movement restrictions.

It's not a game I'm likely going to play any time soon, especially with my group, but I enjoyed my time with it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the same vein as Caverna I'd recommend a look at Viticulture. Not that Caverna is super competitive, but there are a few moments where you'll swear when someone takes an action you were planning on taking. Well Viticulture is even less directly competitive. The theme and gameplay come together in a way that, if I had to pick a single word to describe it, I'd choose "relaxing."

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Gutter Owl posted:

No, Ananda Gupta has made other games.

Thank you.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

MrDru posted:

The Asian girl likes tentacles, like a whole bunch. I think that's an anime reference. Could be wrong. I dunno, I've played that game twice and didn't enjoy it either time, so who knows. Maybe I'm just broken.

Otherwise the production value was pretty decent, I guess?

Noticed they were actually using the roll to move mechanic instead of just ignoring it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Question:

If me and my nerd buddies loved the poo poo out of Risk Legacy (largely for the persistent campaign aspect) and have never played Pandemic before, are we likely to have the same sort of fun with Pandemic Legacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Question:

If me and my nerd buddies loved the poo poo out of Risk Legacy (largely for the persistent campaign aspect) and have never played Pandemic before, are we likely to have the same sort of fun with Pandemic Legacy?

Yes. I'd watch a video about regular Pandemic first to see if your group would hate it and if you think they would remotely enjoy it pick up legacy.