Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

The issue is legit, but there are sites out there to help you weed out the bad ones. Really though, just buy Anker and you'll be fine.

I did also just get a two pack of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0151...6cFL&ref=plSrch

Initially they weren't compliant, but the Google engineer that exposed all of this worked with the manufacturer to fix then.

About how big are they? Right now USB-C phone docks aren't a thing, so I was thinking of getting one of these to adapt my micro-USB dock in the meantime, if they aren't too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Oh nice, I didn't realize there were properly specced micro USB to USB-C adapters now. The Orzly ones I ordered over a month ago still hasn't shown up, and those TechMatte ones are available with Prime, so time to order a pair.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Merv Burger posted:

Yeah, it started from a post that is an otherwise unverified iPhone rumor - something we won't have any real evidence of it happening until later next year.

If it's rumored to be in the iPhone 7 you know some Android manufacturer (Samsung) will try to implement it before Apple can just to say they did.

At some point someone's going to go all out and just delete the USB port from the phone and the rooting thread will be full of instructions on how to solder a cable onto the mainboard to flash your roms.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grack posted:

Uh, okay, so which company is pushing this change on consumers? There's been mention of a whole (1) model of phone from (1) manufacturer that ships without a headphone port. I'm sure there are a few more out there but that's hardly "being pushed on consumers".

Take a wild loving guess on what company loves to screw over their customers the most with it's "special" hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Require More Fire posted:

About how big are they? Right now USB-C phone docks aren't a thing, so I was thinking of getting one of these to adapt my micro-USB dock in the meantime, if they aren't too long.

They are really tiny. Barely bigger than the nail of a pinky finger.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My mom has asked for my help in finding something that will work in her current situation. She's an artist and wants to transfer her picture to a tablet / laptop / iPod (Yes, she said iPod) so she can view it when she's in her art studio painting. I told her it would probably be best if she just printed out the pictures but she said no. Also, all her pictures are copied and pasted into numerous Word documents.... I'm thinking either getting her a tablet or a cheap laptop and uploading / opening those files in Google Drive?

Budget is around $200 - $300 or so. I wish I jumped on the Nexus 9 when it was $200 but oh well. What do you guys recommend? Should I go for an Android tablet or get one of those cheap Chromebooks? What would work best in this situation. I would prefer to stick with Android OS.

edit: Decided to go with the LG V700 on Amazon - only $169.99

Pierson posted:

Speaking of cables I just got my new Nexus and need to replace my old ones. I heard from Some Article Somewhere Online that some unofficial chargers/charging cables were unsafe. Or maybe a combination of official chargers and unofficial adaptors that were unsafe? Whatever.

Is this just fearmongering garbage and your average amazon product will be fine or is this a legit thing and I should get the Google Store overpriced stuff?

Just go through this Google engineer's reviews - http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 4, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Take a wild loving guess on what company loves to screw over their customers the most with it's "special" hardware.

Samsung, with its awful in house cpus, million hardware variants, and useless curved screens? OnePlus with its everything?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Say what you will about Samsung, but this year's exynos was a hell of a lot better than the 810.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Busy Bee posted:

Also, all her pictures are copied and pasted into numerous Word documents

Hah, this is such a mom thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

RVProfootballer posted:

OnePlus with its everything?

Just to touch on a thing since we were having USB C chat, after being told that their cables are dangerously out of spec OnePlus announced they would replace all their retail cables but not the ones that came with the phones because "They work with the phone."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Just to touch on a thing since we were having USB C chat, after being told that their cables are dangerously out of spec OnePlus announced they would replace all their retail cables but not the ones that came with the phones because "They work with the phone."

This is great.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

This is great.

quote:

Google engineer Benson Leung recently tested the OnePlus 2's USB Type-C cable and said it "may cause damage to your charger, hub or PC USB port" if used on a fast-charging device. OnePlus has now admitted that it doesn't conform to the USB Type-C 1.1 spec, and has agreed to give refunds to its customers. There's one large caveat, however. Since the cable can't cause problems with the OnePlus 2 itself (it's not a fast-charging phone), the company won't give refunds or replacement cables to buyers of the handset. Instead, it will only refund customers who purchased the cable separately.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GuyCastle posted:

I find myself in a similar situation as Three Olives where currently there's only a 10€ difference between the S6 Edge+ and the Nexus 6P. I'm not a big fan of Touchwiz, but after an S2 and an S4 I'm pretty much used to it and the phones are fairly similar in specs, so I'm a bit torn.

The Edge+ has wireless charging, no need to buy new cables, supposedly decent battery life (that's probably only going to get better once it gets Marshmallow), fingerprint scanner on the front and, subjectively, aesthetics.

The 6P has no Touchwiz, fast updates, already on Marshmallow, no bloatware, bigger battery, similar specs, better fingerprint scanner, no stupid gimmicks I'll never use and no Touchwiz.

When normally priced, I wouldn't even consider the Edge+ since there's no way it's worth 200€ more than a Nexus 6P, but that isn't currently the case. Are there any pros/cons that I should (re)consider?

I was bored so I did the math...

I paid $900 for the S6 Edge+...

But I got a $250 gift card, a $100 bill credit so I'm at $550 or the same price as an Nexus 6P. Then activate Samsung pay and it's another $50 gift card or $100 at Samsung.com (Hello Gear VR), so say the lower offer and I'm at $500, or less then the Nexus 6P. Then Samsung is throwing in a free wireless fast charger ($50), a Samsung portable fast charger ($80) and Samsung Level Bluetooth Headphones ($250), but hell, it's call it $150 if I eBay them so I've now paid effectively $350 for the phone.

Oh and did I mention that they gave me a 18 month interest free loan on the phone and a promise to buy it back in 12 months for whatever is remaining on the loan or almost $400?

So basically this phone is going to cost me $180 for the year. Samsung is loving giving away these phones unless someone can point out how my math is wrong. I mean hell, just with the gift cards alone the phone was $900 of which I will make $528 of loan payments on over 12 months, meaning I will be out $228 by the time I trade it in. Before the AT&T bill credit so $128 if I trade it in next year. :aaa:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 4, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Finally got the Camera update on my 5x and it does what it promised! Faster to start up, faster switching between picture/video, anecdotal but also seems to be faster at picture taking but that could just be some sort of confirmation bias.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Good news everyone! You can buy a OnePlus 2 without an invite today, tomorrow, and Monday!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Must Love Dogs posted:

Good news everyone! You can buy a OnePlus 2 without an invite today, tomorrow, and Monday!

A what?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sometimes I find my 5x stuttering during use. Not sure how to pinpoint what the cause is. It averages 1.5gb/87% of memory used. Battery stats are just fine, nothing abnormal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my Nexus 5x last night and have been playing around with it. It's my 'spare' phone that I'm primarily going to use for my work email device (swapping my SIM in when there are times that I need to keep an eye on email but don't have easy access to my PC.) It's replacing my 2013 Moto X that I was using for the same purpose, my main phone is a 2015 Moto X pure. It's really funny how going to a 'bigphone' like 2015 Moto X makes the once comfortable and compact phone like the 2013 Moto X feel completely cramped in short order. It didn't feel that way when my primary phone was the 5.2" Turbo, but with the 5.7" X, I finally feel that the 2013 X is too small. So, that's one of the reasons why I decided to snag the 5x when it was on sale. Now I also have two completely carrier agnostic phones. It's not worth moving away from Verizon right now due to my company discount, but it's nice knowing I have the option.

So, impressions of the 5x.

It's light, really light. I'm coming from using 3 generations of phones with >=3000mAh batteries (Droid MAXX, Droid Turbo, Moto X Pure). In exterior dimensions, it's slightly taller than my old Turbo which is kinda odd since the Turbo had the same size screen AND capacitive buttons. Seems like the phone could have afforded to slim the top and bottom bezels a bit if possible. It is quite a bit thinner than the turbo was and a LOT thinner than my Moto X Pure which feels much chunkier in hand. Build quality is good if simple. I wouldn't go so far as to say it feels like a premium device, but it certainly doesn't feel cheap. It reminds me a lot of the 2013 Nexus 7 in that fashion. Simple solid construction made out of middle of the road materials. What's funny though is due to the way the Moto X curves, in some ways it actually feels easier and more stable to handle in hand despite the larger size and higher weight.

Speed seems about the same as the X pure meaning there really isn't any lag anywhere and stuff just works fluidly.

I can't really comment on the battery life so far. It looks like it will get greater screen on time than the X Pure since it only has a 10% smaller battery but pushing 1/4th the pixels on a generally smaller screen. With mostly idle time, I can see the X outlasting it simply because of the larger battery and the same internals. My Moto X is on Marshmallow (at even the same security patch level as the 5x) so Doze and such should all function the same. So, I'm not expecting really much of a huge deviation in overall battery performance.

The fingerprint sensor was quick to setup and works really well. I find it a good substitute for a smart device. Since Wear only allows you to pair the watch to one phone at a time, I keep my Moto 360 paired to my X (which bypasses my pin code) and use the fingerprint sensor to bypass the code on the 5x. WIth that setup, they both have about the same speed and effort to unlock when removed from the pocket (5x touching the sensor and Moto X swiping down the lock icon on active display.) I do like the integration of the sensor with Lastpass and it would work well if I would use android pay, I'm sure it would be nice there. On the whole though, I view it as a nice way to get quick unlock features on a phone I can't pair my Wear device to. I'm really hopeful though that Google will figure out a way to do easy phone switching with Wear in the future, having to factory reset the watch to switch devices is a pain.

The speaker is junk compared to the Moto X, that's about all there is to say about it. The Moto X Pure has very good sounding front facing stereo speakers, this has a single front speaker that's tinny, prone to distortion, and doesn't get as loud.

Display is decent but nothing to write home about. With the difference in size between the two screens, the pixel count difference doesn't really make itself fully apparent unless you are studying it close.

Volumes have been written about the camera differences between these two phones and I won't do much but echo and summarize as they are mostly accurate. The 5x has superior low light performance, the Moto X Pure blows the 5x away in detail under outdoor natural lighting. Pick your poison. Only cavet I will say is software won't be able to get more detail out of a lower pixel count camera while the Pure's failing seem mostly due to light metering and noise reduction at these lower light levels which might be possible to improve (not saying it's going to happen, only that it's possible.) Above all else though, shot quality is going to depend on photographer's skill and the conditions at the time. Both have adequate sets of hardware.

I can't comment on call quality since I haven't made any calls on the 5x. Same goes for cellular performance as I haven't swapped in my SIM yet to try it out. Moto has been excellent in both those areas though so I can't imagine much of an improvement.

I'm glad they brought back the notification LED, but even with it the notification richness is really weak compared to the X pure. The vibration motor is cute compared the the Pure as well, like a kitten coughing.

So, here's my final verdict from where I'm sitting. The 5x is overpriced at its normal pricepoint. I'm sorry, but it's true. It's a good phone, a great phone even, but for $20 more you can get something with a superior screen, more refined build quality, more customization options, some really intelligent software tweaks, and more ram. Yes, there's the update question, but again I'm going to speak from my experience. My experience had me getting Marshmallow with the November security patch level while many in this thread were still complaining that their Nexus devices haven't gotten the OTA yet. Yes, I know it was an early preview program and it's just now rolling out to the masses, but the point is they seem to be giving this phone attention.

Google should make the $80 price cut permanent. At $299, the 5x would be the perfect phone between the $219 Moto G and higher end flagships. At $379, you have to start comparing it to phones that offer more for just a little more money and it doesn't quite hold up. If you have to have a fingerprint sensor or USB C, then have at it. Otherwise, I would really give the Pure a very serious look as the overall package more than makes up for the $20 price increase.

I'll get more experience with it in a few days I'm sure. I'll probably use it for a few days as a primary phone (I wanted to do a factory reset on my Pure after the marshmallow upgrade anyways so I can start from scratch with app permissions.) I'm happy I made the purchase ($349 for the 32gb on sale) and I'm sure I'll hang on to the phone for awhile as a secondary or transition device. It will also be nice to have something so light to swap into if my plans for the day would find carting something as big and heavy as the Pure around all day a pain.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 5, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Google should make the $80 price cut permanent.

Agreed. At the current pricing, and considering that Google's store charges sales tax while the Huawei store doesn't, it really tightens the gap in price between a 32GB 5x and a 32GB 6p.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah the X Pure's front speakers are legit impressive. I was never saddled with an HTC One so they may not be impressive to people who had boomsound but they're surprisingly loud and clear.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a way to transfer your android/google play stuff to another account? A friend is transitioning and is trying to move from her boyname@gmail.com address to girlname@gmail.com, and as the computer guy she came to me for help. I can't find anything outside of 3-year-old reddit posts. Anyone have any tips? She'd really prefer not to have her phone constantly reminding her of her old identity.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a way to transfer your android/google play stuff to another account? A friend is transitioning and is trying to move from her boyname@gmail.com address to girlname@gmail.com, and as the computer guy she came to me for help. I can't find anything outside of 3-year-old reddit posts. Anyone have any tips? She'd really prefer not to have her phone constantly reminding her of her old identity.

I really wish they would implement this. I didn't find a solution when I tried to move my wife from first-name.old-lastname to first-name.new-lastname. I think name changes are a common enough event that there should be processes for this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I really wish they would implement this. I didn't find a solution when I tried to move my wife from first-name.old-lastname to first-name.new-lastname. I think name changes are a common enough event that there should be processes for this.

Similarly, it seems like you should be able to transfer purchases out of a Google Apps account (provided the admin approves it), but you can't.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Google Play purchases can not be transferred, but you can have multiple accounts on your phone. When I switched email addresses, I just added both accounts to the phone, and transferred everything I could to the new one (photos, Drive files, emails (this part is tough and you can't transfer chat history), etc). You can download a lot of Google stuff with Google Takeout.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
It's crap, Hotmail/Outlook.com has been able to offer this for years. God knows what's keeping Google.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK, this can't be right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweQn2Rj02U

How is one finger authenticating as a completely different finger?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

OK, this can't be right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fweQn2Rj02U

How is one finger authenticating as a completely different finger?

Samsung'd again!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you registered a finger twice, it's a different profile. I use my right thumb for all 5 profiles at different angles and when I do that, it shows different fingers based on the exact fingerprint I used used for the respective profile.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Godinster posted:

If you registered a finger twice, it's a different profile. I use my right thumb for all 5 profiles at different angles and when I do that, it shows different fingers based on the exact fingerprint I used used for the respective profile.

In that video, the index finger registered as profile 2, then the thumb registered as profile 1, then the thumb registered as profile 2.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to double check. My parents are finally ditching Sprint for Cricket, and finally getting rid of their Galaxy S3 phones. They were looking at the S4, but for about the same price, I recommended the current-gen Moto G. Ignoring which will get updates, is the Moto G the right choice over the S4? My dad only uses the phone for the basics, so he doesn't need much.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I finally got a Z3c as I loving hate large phones, but wanted decent specs still. There has to be something wrong with it. I got it second hand, but it looked immaculate, the guy still had the box and had a few cases which he said it spent all its life in, and the condition of the phone seemed to corroborate that. I thought the 20mp camera would be a noticeable upgrade from my S5 (yes I know mp aren't everything), but honestly it more reminds me of my original Galaxy S. Without flash the quality is terrible. With it on it isn't much better. This just doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
S4 Wins: Smaller, lighter body, with same sized and better screen. Slightly better performance. Better camera?
Moto G Wins: No Samsung poo poo. Newer Android version. Water resistant.

Not sure on camera.

Second generation Moto X's and LG G3's have been going for the same price on and off and would both be substantially better on paper.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

codo27 posted:

I finally got a Z3c as I loving hate large phones, but wanted decent specs still. There has to be something wrong with it. I got it second hand, but it looked immaculate, the guy still had the box and had a few cases which he said it spent all its life in, and the condition of the phone seemed to corroborate that. I thought the 20mp camera would be a noticeable upgrade from my S5 (yes I know mp aren't everything), but honestly it more reminds me of my original Galaxy S. Without flash the quality is terrible. With it on it isn't much better. This just doesn't seem right to me. Thoughts?

I had a Z3 compact for a brief time last year and the camera was kinda underwhelming tbh

Yours got a weird yellow hue though. But since yours are low light pictures maybe try to take some pictures in daylight to see if something is wrong with that camera.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to double check. My parents are finally ditching Sprint for Cricket, and finally getting rid of their Galaxy S3 phones. They were looking at the S4, but for about the same price, I recommended the current-gen Moto G. Ignoring which will get updates, is the Moto G the right choice over the S4? My dad only uses the phone for the basics, so he doesn't need much.

As long as it's the moto G with 2gb of ram, sure.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As long as it's the moto G with 2gb of ram, sure.

Is the 1gb version bad even if you're only doing calls, texts, emails, and occasionally Youtube?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the 1gb version bad even if you're only doing calls, texts, emails, and occasionally Youtube?

Yes, trust me I know from experience.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've had the opposite experience - the 2014 1GB model certainly copes with light usage better than my G3

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Used the 5x for the majority of the weekend with my SIM card to get a feel for it. It's definitely lighter in the pocket and the fingerprint sensor continues to work well.

RF on the other hand... I was using it this weekend because I knew I was going to be in a few places that was challenging with signal. There's simply no comparison. The Moto X completely wrecks the Nexus 5x in these locations. It gets and holds even the marginal LTE signal while every time I pulled the 5x out of my pocket, it was sitting on no service and I would to either wait for it to reacquire signal or cycle airplane mode to get it back.

It's not BAD with signal, but it isn't as good as the Moto.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Okay, quick question. Let's say an Android device is sitting in a stereo USB dock, but also connected to a headset via bluetooth. Its playing audio in Poweramp/Google Music/whatever, and then it receives a call. What is Android's behavior under these circumstances, with respects to the peripherals it ends up using?

My hope is that it would default to playing exclusively through and being managed by the USB dock, but that when it connects the call, that it does that through the bluetooth headset (which would have a mic and accept/end call button). And also that when it was disconnected from the USB dock, it would start running all audio through the headset.

I'm planning on buying both a new set of headphones and a receiver unit for my car, soon, and I'm trying to figure out the most "it just works" solution that isn't going to have me loving around with a touchscreen at 60 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Given the marginal price difference, why take the chance?