Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the wii u has tons of great video games who really cares about anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Eh, so there is a good reason to buy a physical version of Nintendoland.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah I got my copy for $10 used, and Mario Tag or whatever it's called is worth it if you do enough local multiplayer

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo expected Nintendland to be the next Wii Sports and it wasn't, so they took it off the eShop and slashed the price of the digital version out of shame, because they're deluded.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most people don't want a Nintendo console period, as they simply can't make a piece of hardware that matches what dramatically larger companies like Sony and Microsoft can do when it comes to hardware, courting third parties, multimedia features, online infrastructure, etc. At this point a "back to basics" Nintendo console would be a Playstation or Xbox with a worse library that lags behind in the aforementioned aspects.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't want a Nintendo console, I just want Zelda and Mario Giggolo NX

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think Nintendos biggest problem has always been that theres is the only platform on which third parties have to compete with Nintendo. If not for their handheld stranglehold and penchant for trying new control schemes, they would be better off just making games for the other platforms.

In a way, it's nice to see them keep fighting the good fight.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Alternately, they could release their back catalog on the iPhone and print money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Market analysis has shown releasing a back catalog on mobile would not really make a lot of money, while at the same time greatly devalue their intellectual property. There far more potential for profit in making original releases.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Alternately, they could release their back catalog on the iPhone and print money.

The Tim and Eric gif where his head explodes twice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

greatn posted:

Market analysis has shown releasing a back catalog on mobile would not really make a lot of money, while at the same time greatly devalue their intellectual property. There far more potential for profit in making original releases.

Market analysis has shown that Nintendo is pants-on-head retarded

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Market analysis has shown that Nintendo is pants-on-head retarded

I don't think that's real market analysis.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm playing confirmed good game Zack & Wiki again and it's crazy to me that anyone ever thought this game was going to be a huge hit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Most people don't want a Nintendo console period, as they simply can't make a piece of hardware that matches what dramatically larger companies like Sony and Microsoft can do when it comes to hardware, courting third parties, multimedia features, online infrastructure, etc. At this point a "back to basics" Nintendo console would be a Playstation or Xbox with a worse library that lags behind in the aforementioned aspects.

I dunno the new Nintendo president sunk a ton of money into better online infrastructure and he definitely seems more with it. He also established a division just to court 3rd party software.

if the NX is going to be a console with a satellite handheld that's really not that far off from a basic videogame system. if the Handheld detaches and is it's own individual unit that will mean it will not interfere with regular gameplay hopefully. The design choice shows that the system exists just to play games in the typical fashion be it at your house or on the go, which is perfectly fine. The portable aspect just exists to extend the original concept instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and fixing what wasn't broken which was the case with the wii and wii-u.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 6, 2015

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

He also established a division just to court 3rd party software.

Will this ever happen? I've been hoping Nintendo gets more 3rd party games since the N64. Every time a new Nintendo console comes out I get my hopes up like an idiot. They haven't had solid 3rd party support since the SNES.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I doubt Nintendo will ever get "real" 3rd-party support again.

3rd-party developers usually want the broadest platform possible, so they develop for the Xbox / Playstation / PC since the specs and hardware are nearly the same. AAA titles don't want to have to spend time scaling back their game to work within Nintendo's limited hardware, and implement some crazy-rear end control scheme that the game wasn't even made for in the first place.

3rd Party Support will likely be more indie developers or exclusive 3rd-party titles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I moved my Wii U into a different room and suddenly I can't use Wi-Fi. My router shows up on the list but I get an error during connection tests. I know that Wi-Fi works in this room so what's the deal?

EDIT: loving hell, it got fixed by turning the Wii U on and off again. :bang:

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 6, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PRADA SLUT posted:

3rd-party developers usually want the broadest platform possible, so they develop for the Xbox / Playstation / PC since the specs and hardware are nearly the same. AAA titles don't want to have to spend time scaling back their game to work within Nintendo's limited hardware, and implement some crazy-rear end control scheme that the game wasn't even made for in the first place.

3rd Party Support will likely be more indie developers or exclusive 3rd-party titles.

Supposedly the NX is going to have off the shelf parts or whatever. It's OS is android based and it's sounding like the guts are not going to be specialized parts either. Meaning no more Nintendo wanting proprietary control over parts like the Wii-U pad screen or not using basic DVD/Blu-Ray and making up their own bullshit like Gamecube discs.

It's sounding more and more like a clean break from the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii-U era.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 6, 2015

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

That, and, a lot of people just buy Nintendos for the Nintendo games. Indie games are good for Nintendo too because the characters are usually bright and colorful or stylized, and they gel well with Nintendo's bangers. I actually think developers see potential in Nintendo's hardware ideas, and try to tap the seemingly untapped market for mature games, but it never really works out for them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What do I have to do to get the NRA to declare jihad on this thread?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spellman posted:

That, and, a lot of people just buy Nintendos for the Nintendo games. Indie games are good for Nintendo too because the characters are usually bright and colorful or stylized, and they gel well with Nintendo's bangers. I actually think developers see potential in Nintendo's hardware ideas, and try to tap the seemingly untapped market for mature games, but it never really works out for them.

Actually most people did not buy the wii or the wii-u for nintendo games. They buy the systems and just very little software.

both had very limited hardware sales. Especially considering that games like Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in it's first day. The Wii-U game sales have been eclipsed by amiibos.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What do I have to do to get the NRA to declare jihad on this thread?

PaletteSwappedNinja, you're wiping out your competitors in Nintendo threads at last?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually most people did not buy the wii or the wii-u for nintendo games.

both had very limited hardware sales. Especially considering that games like Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in it's first day. The Wii-U game sales have been eclipsed by amiibos.
I don't think you understood what I said

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The NX having an Android based OS turned out to be false, I thought.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone from NOA said on a podcast that there's going to be some kind of "big announcement" on Monday.

I bet its Minecraft Wii U.:geno:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

Someone from NOA said on a podcast that there's going to be some kind of "big announcement" on Monday.

I bet its Minecraft Wii U.:geno:

The person that said that is apparently Nintendo's indie dude. Is Minecraft still considered indie?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should really stop sitting all over Iwata though and acting like Kimishima turned the company direction around. Kimishima is continuing Iwata's plan, Iwata made those network investments and planned the NX before he died. Kimishima is responsible for the re-org though which set up a division for developer support and for pimping out IP.

A for the question "will the NX have broad this party support", the answer is the answer to the question "will the NX have an x86 architecture"?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

greatn posted:

the answer is the answer to the question "will the NX have an x86 architecture"?

Do they even have a choice at this point? Hopefully they offer a deluxe version or something that can also play Wii U games. I'd pay another 100 for that easily.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do they even have a choice at this point? Hopefully they offer a deluxe version or something that can also play Wii U games. I'd pay another 100 for that easily.

I don't think that needs to be an extra deluxe feature, already the PS4 and Xbox One are able to emulate last gen games and earlier from their previous systems. And originally the systems had zero backwards compatability.

Then again Nintendo is taking their time putting wii games out on the wii-u. We're towards the end of the Wii-U's lifespan and they have less than a dozen wii games on the system. And Gamecube and N64 are not in good shape either.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The WiiU owns and has Tropical Freeze on it, something all the other consoles severely lack

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah the WiiU architecture should be scalable to x86 without actually having to have much trickery.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey im going to be buying a wii-u for my kids for christmas, was planning on grabbing the mario kart bundle- just checking to see if there's a better bundle than that out there? Probably going to buy a wiimote and a smash controller too, along with smash and nintendo remix

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey im going to be buying a wii-u for my kids for christmas, was planning on grabbing the mario kart bundle- just checking to see if there's a better bundle than that out there? Probably going to buy a wiimote and a smash controller too, along with smash and nintendo remix

I think Toys R Us has a bundle with Mario Kart 8 AND Splatoon for $250 through December 6th.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

there's a smash+splatoon bundle out there, you might be able to get it for $250 which is a crazy good deal

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

there's a smash+splatoon bundle out there, you might be able to get it for $250 which is a crazy good deal

nah i stopped by tonight and they just had the mario kart 8 bundle for $250

best buy had it for $299

next week best buy has the mk8 bundle for $250 according to cheapassgamer, i'll probably get it there to get the reward points or something,

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nah i stopped by tonight and they just had the mario kart 8 bundle for $250

best buy had it for $299

next week best buy has the mk8 bundle for $250 according to cheapassgamer, i'll probably get it there to get the reward points or something,

Walmart has that splatoon smash bundle for 280 if you don't mind going a little bit extra for two solid multiplayer games

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

When you say "smash controller" do you mean the Smash-branded Gamecube controller? Because in that case you would also need the GCN controller adapter.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Would strongly recommend knowing you really want to play lots of Smash before buying the Smash/Splatoon bundle for $30 more than the Mario Kart one. I mean it is loving Mario Kart.

If it is just for your kids then get the Mario Kart one no question.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

kater posted:

Would strongly recommend knowing you really want to play lots of Smash before buying the Smash/Splatoon bundle for $30 more than the Mario Kart one. I mean it is loving Mario Kart.

If it is just for your kids then get the Mario Kart one no question.

its mainly for the kids, but i am grabbing star fox as soon as its released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

The person that said that is apparently Nintendo's indie dude. Is Minecraft still considered indie?
maybe it's another Nintendo Humble Bundle

• Locked thread