Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

"We stuck on a whole different plaaaaanet"

good, proud of u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Augus posted:

My "beef" is that the NLA music is quickly threatening to burn itself into my cerebral cortex permanently. I think I'm even starting to smell smoke from up there.

Yeah? Uh Uh Uh I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Holy Christ the Fierce Vigent doesn't mess around.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

how do you get BLADE medals? I'm stuck on that for doing the big global quest crap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah? Uh Uh Uh I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I'm talking about the ridiculously upbeat morning theme more than the night one. It's maddening.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get a refresher on how to raise the survey rate? I've got the required missions for chapter 4 knocked out but need 15% and I've been filling out the collectapedia, got a handful of probes and stuff set up and have been taking down Tyrants I come across and can handle and I'm only at 12.8%

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
How do I get my division and scout spoils or is there a tutorial I haven't hit yet for them?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Why the hell does NLA have automobiles? Seems like a really inefficient city design for fleeing from aliens.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The survey rate seems to only go up with probes. I just probed all over the place 'till I hit 15%

Also, if i picked Biology or whatever over mechanical and archeological, do I just not raise those levels? Cuz I'll switch to mechanical in a heartbeat if it's the only way to set up those level two probes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

brainwrinkle posted:

Why the hell does NLA have automobiles? Seems like a really inefficient city design for fleeing from aliens.

To properly capture the spirit of the Old LA they needed sprawling highways.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a refresher on how to raise the survey rate? I've got the required missions for chapter 4 knocked out but need 15% and I've been filling out the collectapedia, got a handful of probes and stuff set up and have been taking down Tyrants I come across and can handle and I'm only at 12.8%

I think it's where you have to do the thing that's indicated in the hexagon's icon so it turns to a gold shield?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also, if i picked Biology or whatever over mechanical and archeological, do I just not raise those levels? Cuz I'll switch to mechanical in a heartbeat if it's the only way to set up those level two probes.

You can pick whichever you want the next time your Blade level goes up. It feels like Mechanical is the most useful, because probes.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah level mechanical over all else as it actively will hinder you if you don't. It feels like bad design that they even give you the choice of not going mechanical considering how critical it is.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Yeesh, just past chapter 4 and I'm starting to stand around like a fool wasting time wondering what to do next. (And racking up extended exposure to the NLA music :suicide:, the songs really aren't bad it's just holy poo poo these songs were not made for long exposure times.)

Also the paranoia is kicking in about whether or not I should keep going in the story or do side stuff as I might miss something, or whether or not I've already permanently missed something doing the chapters I've already done.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This is the sort of game where I should have waited for other people to play it a lot before I dive in. Not for reviews, mind, but because I'm terrible with games with lots of unknowns and exploration and crafting. I need my guided theme parks, not a sandbox :saddowns:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

This is the sort of game where I should have waited for other people to play it a lot before I dive in. Not for reviews, mind, but because I'm terrible with games with lots of unknowns and exploration and crafting. I need my guided theme parks, not a sandbox :saddowns:

there's no real crafting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well that's a small relief I guess :v:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
actually there is, for augments and developing super strong gear. none of it seems really necessary yet but it was a nice surprise when i found i could make an augment that increased my max tp by like 1400.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Augus posted:

My "beef" is that the NLA music is quickly threatening to burn itself into my cerebral cortex permanently. I think I'm even starting to smell smoke from up there.

Remidns me of good times :cheers:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inflammatory posted:

actually there is, for augments and developing super strong gear. none of it seems really necessary yet but it was a nice surprise when i found i could make an augment that increased my max tp by like 1400.

I'm talking about Bethesda type crafting, REAL crafting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doing these affinity missions are great. HB sounds like he's got Legion's voice actor, and Phog is adorable.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Thank gently caress party members don't affinity levels with each other.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Celica is the best party member if you are also rolling with Murderess they wind up destroying everything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where do I get this one?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I get this one?

Six hours after it popped up I decided it's either there to gently caress with you or you'll be able to do something with it when you do stuff in the room where the "guinea pigs wanted" mission starts.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I've been playing this for a few hours now and have some questions:

First, what is TP and what does it do? I presume that it's used in part to revive people, but I can't figure out how to pick someone up.

Second, do additional battle mechanics get added later? I find the battle system a bit boring without chain attacks.

Third, what is the camera option to increase horizontal rotation when in doors? It seems to be a different setting than the outdoors one.

So far I'm having fun, but I'm really missing the tighter, character driven story of the original Xenoblade. I suppose things may change as I go further, but I'm surprised that I haven't even hit a major call to action yet.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Brackhar posted:

First, what is TP and what does it do? I presume that it's used in part to revive people, but I can't figure out how to pick someone up.

Second, do additional battle mechanics get added later? I find the battle system a bit boring without chain attacks.

Third, what is the camera option to increase horizontal rotation when in doors? It seems to be a different setting than the outdoors one.

So far I'm having fun, but I'm really missing the tighter, character driven story of the original Xenoblade. I suppose things may change as I go further, but I'm surprised that I haven't even hit a major call to action yet.

1. tp is basically mana, you can build it with attacks(melee seems to build more) and you can burn it on buffs/debuffs. Regular attack skills don't seem to use tp from what I have seen. You need 3k tp to revive someone, and then you just walk over them and hit A.

2. I know the limit break or whatever is added later in the game, but setting up soul chain combos is pretty engaging and about 10 hours in this game is much more active combat wise than most rpgs.

3. indoors you gotta eat poo poo sadly.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Brackhar posted:

tp is used to revive people, enter overdrive (this game's equivalent of chain attacks, it unlocks after a certain point in the plot), and cast certain arts. the arts all cost 1000, revival and overdrive cost 3000. you build it up with auto attacks and succeeding at soul voices/challenges. i dunno what you're talking about with the camera thing.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Evil Canadian posted:

1. tp is basically mana, you can build it with attacks(melee seems to build more) and you can burn it on buffs/debuffs. Regular attack skills don't seem to use tp from what I have seen. You need 3k tp to revive someone, and then you just walk over them and hit A.

2. I know the limit break or whatever is added later in the game, but setting up soul chain combos is pretty engaging and about 10 hours in this game is much more active combat wise than most rpgs.

3. indoors you gotta eat poo poo sadly.

What are soul chain combos? Do this get introduced in Chapter 4 or something?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently for The Repair Job if you insist that we fix the problem for good, you have to go hunt down rare items.

Strategy guide assumes you just go eat and says nothing on where to find that stuff. Wonderful.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished up Chapter 3 and Jesus there is so much going on with this game I love it, insane amount of depth.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently for The Repair Job if you insist that we fix the problem for good, you have to go hunt down rare items.

Strategy guide assumes you just go eat and says nothing on where to find that stuff. Wonderful.

The outcome is apparently the same, so you just made more work for yourself.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Photex posted:

Just finished up Chapter 3 and Jesus there is so much going on with this game I love it, insane amount of depth.

Same except I don't love it I almost hate it. I think I'm just gonna dumbly shove through to the middle/end of the game and hope I pick up on a thing or two by then. This game feels like five times more complicated than the average MMO.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh man, I just kinda assumed the mission would restart at a later part when I said we should go eat. Once more Tatsu proved to be the voice of reason and saved me trouble.

e: looked it up to be sure and yup, i got that amount of xp, money and the art, so if you go hunt for all the extra things you get nothing extra. Always Listen To Tatsu.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 6, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All that collecting the parts does it give you a slightly more experience(because you're fighting enemies). But nothing that can't be acquired around the surrounding areas. The main goal of it is to complete it to get the new Skill.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I would have known this ages ago...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You also get more affinity by ending it early, as you get affinity with Lin, Elma and either of the two first soldiers you can put on the team if you have them in your squad, otherwise you only get affinity with Elma and one of those two soldiers specifically.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm completely in love with the environments in this game. Everything's just so big and beautiful, with a ton of elaborate geography. These crazy alien environments filled with crazy aliens are so refreshing when literally every other open world game on the market goes for pure realism, even the fantasy ones.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Augus posted:

I'm completely in love with the environments in this game. Everything's just so big and beautiful, with a ton of elaborate geography. These crazy alien environments filled with crazy aliens are so refreshing when literally every other open world game on the market goes for pure realism, even the fantasy ones.

I take you haven't played Tales of Zestiria then. :colbert:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't hear you, I can't see you :rock:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally finished that stupid quest, now I can get working on the rest of the affinity missions...

Blew all my dough on cool armors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I swear I cannot even figure out which outfits to put people in as they never seem as right as their starting gear.

• Locked thread