Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Check GW2Spidy now and then before making the refined t5 material things, right now they're all a profit because of a rush on ascended materials for HoT stuff, but it wasn't always worth making them over selling the materials. E.g. http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/46738 buy listing all the materials for a Deldrimor Steel Ingot, crafting and sell listing it leaves you at a 3g profit.

If you're using the things (or mailing them out to needy goons???) instead of reselling them, you save money on any materials that never have to pass through the TP fee and it can still turn out to be worth the time even when it's shown as a loss on Spidy. In the example of deldrimor steel, you lose 1g 30s to trading post fees, which is already factored into the crafting profit margin on that page and detailed on the recipe's listing (http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/7313).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
In between bouts of 'logging in' and 'having fun' I managed to snag these. Almost a 2-for-1 deal with how the cheevos are set up.

Again, but this time with anime.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ItBurns posted:

Again, but this time with anime.

Is that sylvari cultural somehow, or TA?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Is that sylvari cultural somehow, or TA?

It's TA. It actually looks really good with the metallic dyes on account of being somewhat reflective, but the white is just garish in sunlight.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Today I reached Sapphire in the new PvP divisions system with close to an 80% win rate. In those games I've had some observations about the most effective ways to climb the ladder in this current meta and I thought I'd write them down here.

First, the the classes with that see the most success are bunkers. If you are queuing by yourself, you'll want to be able to hold a point against at least two people, by yourself. Tempests and Chronomancers are the most effective bunkers right now. Scrappers have incredible sustain, but are more susceptible to being whittled down.

Why are bunkers good? They take from enemy players the hidden resource that will win or lose you every match: time. If a tempest shows up on your point, most players/specs will be unable to kill it. The majority of players will try to, but they are denying their presence elsewhere on the map. If a second player shows up to take on the tempest (called giving a "plus one"), for as long as that fight goes on, every other match-up that occurs in your game swings statistically to the tempest's team's favor. Depending on the two who show up to challenge the tempest, they're going to take (possibly) minutes, or be unable to take down that bunker and even if they do, the tempest has accomplished its goal. So even if the tempest did not own the point it was contesting, it will still have scored its team points, coming from elsewhere on the map.

What is the best way to kill a tempest? Heavy chill pressure or moa morph will ruin a tempest's day. Chronomancers need to be stunned and bursted. Heavy use of unblockable skills will also kill a chronomancer.

You will often be paired up with duo queues, so why not bring a friend? Then YOU'RE the duo queue and you should trust yourself (and a friend) more than any random pubbies. Bringing along ANOTHER bunker will win you even more games. Do you dare bring a THIRD bunker? Why not. BUT, do not bring a fourth bunker, as you will be much more likely to be paired up against full teams, which will make you more likely to lose your game, due to teams being better at coordinating CC.

With good rotations and point pressure, you don't have to win team fights, you need only win through attrition and stalling out points.

If you insist on bringing DPS with you, go for revenants and scrappers. Both have awesome team fight synergies and incredible passive survivability. Both are also great at stalling out point captures. Which, need I re-iterate: is the single most important tactic within conquest. Almost as important is my last piece of advice: If you are a goon and you want to PvP with other goons who are good at PvPing then you need to join Eurozone Danse Party, the premiere listing for goon pvping. Send Germany a letter for a guild invite and start teaming up with goons to climb your way up this horrible and toxic meta!!!!! YOU WILL BE KING OF poo poo, PERCHED ATOP A THRONE OF WHO CARES!

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 6, 2015

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's been over a month and I still have no idea what you are supposed to be getting from Tempest that trumps Earth/Water/Arcane.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i just play whatever classes i need for the daily and hope for the best

i have one green pip

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

kater posted:

It's been over a month and I still have no idea what you are supposed to be getting from Tempest that trumps Earth/Water/Arcane.

Its simple really. Bears/Beets/Battlestar Galatica

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

DH got knocked inside of that corner right as he hit invulnerability status of downed, I revived him, then he was stuck there forever unable to get out or move. Rest of the game he was just setting up traps there and I just knocked any enemy coming to decap into his traps. :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kater posted:

Because no traits available in either of those give you four free really strong overload skills, which is worth it alone even if you don't take any of the shouts which are very strong and team supporty.

Also, arcane has kinda been poo poo for a long time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 6, 2015

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah i basically use all shouts, also use earth and water though.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man I have enough tomes to 80 my ele, but I know if I do that I won't know how to play ele. I love tempest though, the new shouts are so fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Man I have enough tomes to 80 my ele, but I know if I do that I won't know how to play ele. I love tempest though, the new shouts are so fun.

...if your ele isn't 80 how are you using shouts

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Probably in pvp.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

During the beta, it's what made me decide to pull the gun and make an ele.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple methods I've found to collect ley crystals with spending as little time in the area as possible doing events.

• Do a hero boss train 20-30ish minutes before gerent shows up to get participation for the 75 ley crystals when the meta switches over, adventures and potani add participation too.
  • Run to all the easy to reach chests I know of in the wild, they usually give 3, but sometimes you'll get 28, I usually do a quick run to 5 chests, 3 of the chests are easy to reach via updrafts at the top of the giant dead tree, can do this on multiple characters and sometimes you get a rare reclaimed weapon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

A pressed ham.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

My ranger has fallen on some tough times :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Robin Phood will forever be the best GOON related ranger, next to me of course.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Alteisen posted:

Robin Phood will forever be the best GOON related ranger, next to me of course.

I will never be in GOON, SFD for life!
I disagree with your statement because Robin Phood and Little Papa Johns are the best duo in this game, hams down.

See below:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

J3ng4 posted:

I disagree with your statement because Robin Phood and Little Papa Johns are the best duo in this game, hams down.

See below:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Sair
May 11, 2007

J3ng4 posted:

See below:

What hat is that?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Sair posted:

What hat is that?

Pirate Outfit.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
So what happens when the next xpac is released and there aren't enough people around to run the HoT-era meta events?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Dunno, I thought no one would be running dry top or sw but I was wrong. The only zone people don't seem to run are god awful ones like TD and straights.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Guys I need some help, I made another asura and I'm trying to decide on which face to use

Do I go A, default options and just use a hairstyle kit?

B, sleazy scarface eyeglow asura?

Or C, the horror?

Also I forgot how much I hate this event (gently caress you, Myrtle):

And selfie technology has made it to Tyria, rip

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nice fights this weekend, goons/SFD. Dragonbrand may be winning in ppt but you got us good. See, WvW isn't dead, it is what you make of it! (until the "overhaul" occurs in a few months and finally officially kills it).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Nice fights this weekend, goons/SFD. Dragonbrand may be winning in ppt but you got us good. See, WvW isn't dead, it is what you make of it! (until the "overhaul" occurs in a few months and finally officially kills it).

Be realistic, it's definitely not dead, but it's absolutely been negatively affected by the expansion. As one of the few parts left of the game I genuinely enjoy post-HoT, I seriously hope this rumoured revamp revitalizes it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Be realistic, it's definitely not dead, but it's absolutely been negatively affected by the expansion. As one of the few parts left of the game I genuinely enjoy post-HoT, I seriously hope this rumoured revamp revitalizes it.

I think that was bound to happen, everyone wanted/needed to grind out PvE stuff on HoT release, so of course there would be less participation in WvW. As people came to meet their grind goals and more Guild Halls got upgraded for WvW benefits, the WvW meta finally got a chance to grow.

That said, I am completely pessimistic about the WvW revamp. Seeing as how they tried fixing/improving everything else in a subpar fashion, I can't seriously recommend players to hope for a WvW revitalization. I wasn't being sarcastic; WvW right now isn't dead, given a good server. Just enjoy the few months or whatever we have left of actual fun.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Hammer Revenants are busy tilling the soil as we speak, the brand new "fun" WvW meta should be ready to sprout soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

I think that was bound to happen, everyone wanted/needed to grind out PvE stuff on HoT release, so of course there would be less participation in WvW. As people came to meet their grind goals and more Guild Halls got upgraded for WvW benefits, the WvW meta finally got a chance to grow.

That said, I am completely pessimistic about the WvW revamp. Seeing as how they tried fixing/improving everything else in a subpar fashion, I can't seriously recommend players to hope for a WvW revitalization. I wasn't being sarcastic; WvW right now isn't dead, given a good server. Just enjoy the few months or whatever we have left of actual fun.

No, it's significantly more than just "everyone is off doing PvE", the new borderlands haven't been well received, and there is a general neglect of WvW by Anet (like, for example, we get mastery level, plus the new useless PvP icon displayed beside names the second this stupid league starts, yet WvW rank still doesn't show). It's not dead, you're right, but it's nowhere near the shape it used to be. It's gotta be way worse on other lower tier servers too.

And I guess I'm still optimistic about the revamp, probably naively so looking at the rest of the broken subpar garbage that HoT brought us. I'm really hoping for an injection of life into it, but I love WvW and will keep doing it regardless.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, it's significantly more than just "everyone is off doing PvE", the new borderlands haven't been well received, and there is a general neglect of WvW by Anet (like, for example, we get mastery level, plus the new useless PvP icon displayed beside names the second this stupid league starts, yet WvW rank still doesn't show). It's not dead, you're right, but it's nowhere near the shape it used to be. It's gotta be way worse on other lower tier servers too.

And I guess I'm still optimistic about the revamp, probably naively so looking at the rest of the broken subpar garbage that HoT brought us. I'm really hoping for an injection of life into it, but I love WvW and will keep doing it regardless.

I believe the new Borderlands were designed with the endgame in mind: Given claimed keeps and Shrine control (and knowing the new map), movement speed is supposed to be buffed enough to make traversing the map about as quick as the old alpine Borderlands. They feel like they were also designed at pop lock. And here's one huge thing that makes the new Borderlands better: BOTH defending and taking a claimed and upgraded keep feels way better and is way more fun for both sides, so more incentive for engagement.

The problem is that there is rarely pop lock (as it was before on non Tier 1 servers) and all the small roamer/defence guilds get shafted, especially with the Guild Hall being so drat expensive. So this makes that uncomfortable empty feel to the map, as it takes twice as long to roam around and respond to calls for defence. If you gave everyone the +5 supply bonus and high level WvW Guild upgrades, I could definitely see the new Borderlands being received better.

So they made a concerted effort to design WvW for something that rarely happens while shafting several styles of play, and the new "revamp" sounds like more of the same. I assume GOON and SFD are big enough (or can be reasonably split) to support the Alliance system, but that's just not the case for most of us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

So they made a concerted effort to design WvW for something that rarely happens while shafting several styles of play, and the new "revamp" sounds like more of the same. I assume GOON and SFD are big enough (or can be reasonably split) to support the Alliance system, but that's just not the case for most of us.

That leak about the "alliance" system for WvW, I really hope that's not true because it sounds loving awful. They can do way better than that...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

the new useless PvP icon displayed beside names

I sort of want to start work on Champion Ritualist in my free time, since I should take advantage all the newbies clogging up/throwing games in ranked. But I really, really don't want one of those dumb badges on my name plate. :saddowns:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I hopped into WvW Saturday night and had some fun in the new maps. Maybe not as much fun as this guy though.

Hopefully they don't screw it up too much. WvW was always a fun place to hop into back in the day. I think the new maps are fun and a nice change from the old ones. I don't think would hate on them so much if there was enough population to fill them. The whole guild alliance thing that was making the rounds sounds terrible though. Before doing anything that drastic, they should just look at weekly WvW participation per server and then lump the servers together into alliances.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I sort of want to start work on Champion Ritualist in my free time, since I should take advantage all the newbies clogging up/throwing games in ranked. But I really, really don't want one of those dumb badges on my name plate. :saddowns:

You won't be the one to see them, everyone else will.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Unless you hold Alt, anyway.

GI_Clutch posted:

I hopped into WvW Saturday night and had some fun in the new maps. Maybe not as much fun as this guy though.

Jesus, that guy never shuts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Unless you hold Alt, anyway.

They show up by default without holding alt, that's why they're annoying as all heck :mad:

• Locked thread