Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Unknown Quantity posted:

So having looked at controller nonsense enough I'm pretty solidly set on Wizard now. Or Enchanter Mage, more specifically. Aside from the obvious potential issue of running into something with a high Will defense, there's nothing all that wrong with mostly taking the non-damaging hindrance powers, yeah? IE Hypnotism, Illusory Obstacles, Maze of Mirrors, Sleep, etc.

The job of a well-built Wizard is to make the DM want to throttle you basically all day every day because his mobs do nothing of any use or import except maybe hit themselves over the head a few times.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Somehow a shitload of damage combined with potentially massive mobility is never really boring to me.

This, basically. I always found with Slayers and Knights that I liked the fact that they just did the same thing virtually all the time, because it let me play the tactical positioning game that 4e did pretty well compared to any other system I've tried. I find it a lot more interesting to play a tactics and strategy game than a 'pick power, does it work' game. It's why I really dislike 5e, because the combat fundamentally feels to me like it boils down to 'cast spell y/n'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Somehow a shitload of damage combined with potentially massive mobility is never really boring to me.

It works on stuff like Executioner|Warlock because they DO have non-charge options, they're just mostly interrupts or cool ways to move around and such. On a Slayer, you don't really have potentially massive mobility. You just get to draw a straight line every turn, and that's about it. The Executionlock gets cross counters, off-turn dominates, easy teleports, and poo poo, A Mirror Darkly just on it's own is amazing. Depending on your GM you also get the singular good Assassin power (or I guess both powers if you really wanna go wild about it) if you go Dex/Cha, and probably their best PP lets you hand out basic attacks without stopping the CHARGE TRAIN. And you gain full concealment every time you charge so you're just this loving bullet train shadow motherfucker who vanishes into the darkness then re-appears with someone stuck on the end of your rapier. Like, yeah, you're gonna charge just about every turn, but there's more to it then just drawing a straight line.

Likewise to damage, charge isn't going to beat multiple attack abuse (but, well, good. Most multiple attack based cheese is just that - abuse and cheese). To go back to the hybrid, you aren't just doing great damage by combining striker abilities, you're also doing interrupt dominates and passing out basic attacks every time your cursed target is bloodied or killed.

e-classes aren't awesome with a charge build, they're functional - because they're not entirely functional straight out of the box, because by then the dev team had purged most of the actual 4e writers.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

A damage oriented wizard is a Sorcerer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

It works on stuff like Executioner|Warlock because they DO have non-charge options, they're just mostly interrupts or cool ways to move around and such. On a Slayer, you don't really have potentially massive mobility. You just get to draw a straight line every turn, and that's about it. The Executionlock gets cross counters, off-turn dominates, easy teleports, and poo poo, A Mirror Darkly just on it's own is amazing. Depending on your GM you also get the singular good Assassin power (or I guess both powers if you really wanna go wild about it) if you go Dex/Cha, and probably their best PP lets you hand out basic attacks without stopping the CHARGE TRAIN. And you gain full concealment every time you charge so you're just this loving bullet train shadow motherfucker who vanishes into the darkness then re-appears with someone stuck on the end of your rapier. Like, yeah, you're gonna charge just about every turn, but there's more to it then just drawing a straight line.

Likewise to damage, charge isn't going to beat multiple attack abuse (but, well, good. Most multiple attack based cheese is just that - abuse and cheese). To go back to the hybrid, you aren't just doing great damage by combining striker abilities, you're also doing interrupt dominates and passing out basic attacks every time your cursed target is bloodied or killed.

e-classes aren't awesome with a charge build, they're functional - because they're not entirely functional straight out of the box, because by then the dev team had purged most of the actual 4e writers.

You certainly can get solid mobility on a Slayer, they have a wide range of ways to access multi-square shifts and jumps. It's one reason I like playing the Thri Kreen variant. Plus they do get a couple of encounter powers to spice things up and to abuse multi-attacks if you need to just hack this guy down right now.

Exe|Locks are good too, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Probably my favorite character I've played in 4E is a bugbear rogue with a bastard sword (d12 damage instead of d4!) who combines a charge kit with Great Leap to NBA Jam on monsters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unknown Quantity posted:

So having looked at controller nonsense enough I'm pretty solidly set on Wizard now. Or Enchanter Mage, more specifically. Aside from the obvious potential issue of running into something with a high Will defense, there's nothing all that wrong with mostly taking the non-damaging hindrance powers, yeah? IE Hypnotism, Illusory Obstacles, Maze of Mirrors, Sleep, etc.

Essentials added lots of wizard powers, especially enchantment powers, that don't need to hit. So there's that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Knight's Defender Aura was really cool, and then I read the rest of the class and it does just about nothing else. Is there any shenanigans you could to have Defender Aura regardless?

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought the Knight's Defender Aura was really cool, and then I read the rest of the class and it does just about nothing else. Is there any shenanigans you could to have Defender Aura regardless?

Berserker gets I think the same thing and has at least a few powers that futz with it, EG a daily that makes it a 2 square aura and lets you shift a square to hit someone who breaks the mark, but beyond that not that I'm aware of.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

I think the idea is you do 1 summon per encounter rather than summon-spam.

Yeah, but at that rate you cover about half the encouters / extended rest. Hence, part-time. And for the first part of heroic you're totally screwed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The only way to get it outside being a Knight, Berserker or Cavalier is to multiclass or hybrid cavalier, but the former gets you only the aura without the punishment and the latter gets you lol.

Having said that, it would drop pretty harmlessly into a Weaponmaster Fighter in replacement on his marking mechanic and the OA bonus options and let you play an aura defender without playing one of those three.

Part of me wishes that it had been in place from the start, because for most defenders, I like it more than a marking mechanic, which always did feel a little odd to me on some situations with the Fighter - so, he's 50 feet away and Stunned, but for some reason he's still causing me to take a penalty? As opposed to the aura which in that situation you could just step out of.

ArkInBlack posted:

Berserker gets I think the same thing and has at least a few powers that futz with it, EG a daily that makes it a 2 square aura and lets you shift a square to hit someone who breaks the mark, but beyond that not that I'm aware of.

It gets that and a couple of powers that make targets in the aura grant CA and later CA + somethign else I can't recall offhand.

I really like Berserkers. I know I'm a minority in that, but you stick a Helm of Able Defence and a Cloak of Displacement on him, and the lower Will defence becomes less important, more so when you get Dreadnought and Sup Will at Paragon. Agile Recovery deals well with the prone not next to anyone issue, and they can pick up a bunch of other re-engagement powers. Spiked Chain Prof + Flail Expertise + Lashing Flail+Dragging Flail makes the punishment scary, and they're still doing modest amounts of damage with plenty of resist all most of the time.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm an enchanter/illusionist and it's great fun. High will monsters are pretty rare too in my experience. You're right that you shouldn't be looking for powers that do damage, but for powers that'll piss your DM off.

If you can get your DM to yell something like "But that's such bullshit", you know you've build a good character.

Plus, there's powers like phantom foes that don't require an attack roll but purely depend on saving throws. Those get around high-will enemies.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Personally I hate controllers like that as a player because they tend to trivialize the game and turn the fights into sessions on the punching bag. I get 3.5 flashbacks when our daring midnight assault on the bandit camp turns into the wizard casting a spell and saying "Well, kill them already, this won't hold them down all day".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's basically the reason everyone hates Demoralize. It doesn't actually CC them, but it does make their actions worthless for one round.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Which leads to the issue of almost all non-blasting wizard powers being...well, horrifically good at controlling! Which means you're either playing the build and making enemies without even trying, or not doing it and doing a job the wizard really isn't supposed to be doing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Khizan posted:

Personally I hate controllers like that as a player because they tend to trivialize the game and turn the fights into sessions on the punching bag. I get 3.5 flashbacks when our daring midnight assault on the bandit camp turns into the wizard casting a spell and saying "Well, kill them already, this won't hold them down all day".

Agreed.
My wizard took a bunch of those sort of powers (so did one of the other players with a cleric). After a couple of sessions we agreed with our DM to retrain them as they made the combat too boring - either by trivializing it or making half the opponents irrelivent . On paper locking down a monster or two or making them suck with permanent defence or attack penalties might seem good but it can make things tedious.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I found 4e to be really hit-and-miss as a DM. Like, I appreciate that the mathematical framework operates the way it does, so that you can fairly easily upscale or downgrade monsters to whatever level you need, but goddamn is it hard to challenge parties without shoehorning some gimmick into the encounter, or flatout over-leveling a monster just so they can survive long enough to do that One Weird Trick that they have.

I mean, yeah, "be a fan of the players" and whatnot, but that can also have the effect of making the DM feel like a clown.

e; It'd be one thing if monsters were at least simple to run, but generally in order for them to be competent they also have to be complicated or at least involve synergistic combos, which all too often never see the light of day.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 6, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

As a DM in 4e you really, REALLY have to assume your mobs aren't going to do much of any use. If you can't handle that, this is not the system for you.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

As a DM in 4e you really, REALLY have to assume your mobs aren't going to do much of any use. If you can't handle that, this is not the system for you.

I mean, I can "handle" that, it's just loving boring. It's also why I ended up crutching hard on 2-hit minions because they're low effort.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Khizan posted:

As I've said a few times, "the controller's job is to make things boring."

Which isn't to say controllers are bad. Enchanter wizards can have plenty of fun turning baddies against each other and turning them into puppets and such - it's just that most enchantment spells at a certain point end up being save or suck, and you can destroy their ability to save, and psions have a neigh uncounterable "nope, you do nothing your turn" that they can spam, and Invokers just shrug and go "every enemy is stunned and can't do poo poo for a round" every encounter, and so on.

I think one of the issues is the nova; when you're all bruised and bleeding and it looks like the fight is going to go wrong, and suddenly the tide is turned (be it because the controller threw down a spell that stunned EVERYONE, or the leader sets off a magnificent chain of effects, or what have you), that's pretty exciting. It's a lot less exciting when that's Plan A for the start of everything, and there's nothing to really stop that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a lot less exciting when that's Plan A for the start of everything, and there's nothing to really stop that.

I thought the point behind Creatures with Auras were to help with that, So it gives creatures +4 to will or some poo poo, as a direct counter. This makes the Leaders a target they have to kill first, which then open to tactical gameplay on how to geek their dudes protection before they are about to murder you.

Basically, if an Invoker is stunning every turn, figure out how they're doing it, then slap a few aura enchantments on some brutes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean the nova issue isn't just one with controllers. Leader novas supercharge the party to murder everything with ease on turn one, striker novas will target your biggest baddy and kill it immediately (and probably a bunch of other baddies with it), controller novas can more or less end actual opposition, and defender novas...I don't think defenders actually have the same ability to nova, so good on you, defenders.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How is this happening to you guys? My parties all seem to get to death's door in about 2-3 sequential encounters. How do you guys end up with ineffective mobs?bam I the outlier?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean the nova issue isn't just one with controllers. Leader novas supercharge the party to murder everything with ease on turn one, striker novas will target your biggest baddy and kill it immediately (and probably a bunch of other baddies with it), controller novas can more or less end actual opposition, and defender novas...I don't think defenders actually have the same ability to nova, so good on you, defenders.
I've mostly played a ton of heroic tier games, so I don't think I've hit the problem with Nova's alot. There should be ways to mitigate that though isn't there? Hell isn't there a power to decrease the size of novas, or the range or power?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My giant crocodile man Slayer's first action in combat was splattering an enemy from full to dead on the pavement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Moriatti posted:

How is this happening to you guys? My parties all seem to get to death's door in about 2-3 sequential encounters. How do you guys end up with ineffective mobs?bam I the outlier?

No, I think these guys just optimise really hard. I DMed all the way to 30 with a party who didn't really do much optimisation and the game ran well and monsters got to do stuff.

But if you've got players who read a lot of online guides and make characters with race/class/equipment synergies I could see stuff getting nuts. This could result in varying degrees of fun - I wouldn't have much issue DMing for a party with insane damage output (just send more monsters in waves, up the HP on existing ones, and so on) but it wouldn't be much fun if my monsters were just completely ineffective. I'm a player as well as a GM, after all, and debuffs aren't much fun if they prevent a player from affecting the game.

Gort fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 7, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

I mean, I can "handle" that, it's just loving boring. It's also why I ended up crutching hard on 2-hit minions because they're low effort.

For my money PC initiative-op is what makes DMing in 4e boring. If every PC goes before every mob, there's very little for the DM to do in most fights, but if they're a bit more interleaved, there's more interest.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gort posted:

No, I think these guys just optimise really hard. I DMed all the way to 30 with a party who didn't really do much optimisation and the game ran well and monsters got to do stuff.

This explains it to me. That is the one thing I lament about D&D being such a combat simulator, is its a lot harder to give a clever party an invincible for and then just say "deal with it" while having the result be exciting.

I suppose you can still do puzzle bosses, but yeah.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I got a Badge of the Berserker first session :whatup:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

I found 4e to be really hit-and-miss as a DM. Like, I appreciate that the mathematical framework operates the way it does, so that you can fairly easily upscale or downgrade monsters to whatever level you need, but goddamn is it hard to challenge parties without shoehorning some gimmick into the encounter, or flatout over-leveling a monster just so they can survive long enough to do that One Weird Trick that they have.

I mean, yeah, "be a fan of the players" and whatnot, but that can also have the effect of making the DM feel like a clown.

e; It'd be one thing if monsters were at least simple to run, but generally in order for them to be competent they also have to be complicated or at least involve synergistic combos, which all too often never see the light of day.

Quite a few words have been written about how monster damage is too low and does not keep up.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
One approach, for cases where the party is up against some larger organization, could be to have the enemies actually retreat, and if one of them gets away to tell the others of that tactic you seem to be using over and over again... Well, they'll adapt their own tactics to at least ablate it. Make it so that a given strategy may work a few times, but unless they manage to never leave witnesses, eventually it stops working so well.

Doesn't apply if all their enemies are non-sapient or one-offs though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Unknown Quantity posted:

That's the point of wizard, yes. If you really want to, put damaging spells in your spellbook and juggle in a Mnemonic Implement when your strikers aren't doing a good job.

But really, it's next to impossible to gently caress up a wizard build. I played an extremely un-optimal (but well-optimized, if that makes sense) Hobgoblin wizard once, who at level 4 and on specialized in Thunderwave + Polearm Momentum and shoving people into his daily/encounter zones or off the GM's lovely walkways and cliffs. Even that kind of silly control worked really well in heroic.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Quite a few words have been written about how monster damage is too low and does not keep up.

Damage isn't even the problem, it's more that defense is too low, IME. Like, i started using Soldier-level MM3 math for AC on all my mobs just for it to be more "even." There was a bit of :smith: from the players, due to missing more often, but overall the encounters were a better challenge.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gort posted:

No, I think these guys just optimise really hard.
I have one player who optimizes. Not even particularly deeply, but it's very noticable when it's his turn, because poo poo starts happening. Or stops, depending.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What races do you guys like? I've been going through the setting books and player handbooks for campaign inspiration, and I really like Shardminds because they've got pretty neat character concepts.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dragonborn are pretty cool. Ignore the broken as hell subraces.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

berenzen posted:

Dragonborn are pretty cool. Ignore the broken as hell subraces.

This threshold for 'broken' seems kinda low.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Yo goblinoids are rad as hell.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

This threshold for 'broken' seems kinda low.

It is, but the threshold for broken is low in 4e in general compared with other editions. When balance is better exists, it's more obvious when things break it a little bit, and the genuinely broken is VERY rare in 4e and mostly fixed. Rebreathers are probably the worst still-functional broken combo.

SunAndSpring posted:

What races do you guys like? I've been going through the setting books and player handbooks for campaign inspiration, and I really like Shardminds because they've got pretty neat character concepts.

None of them are outright terrible, though some of the MM races are a bit wonky, and obviously there are some that have MUCH more support, and therefore options, than others. For instance, if someone wanted to play a Shardmind, I'd probably let him count as an Eladrin for basically all purposes, because virtually all the Eladrin feats would fit nicely into Shardmind flavour, and Eladrin are just... better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's a Rebreather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

What's a Rebreather?

Pick a Dragonborn Sorcerer with the Sensate background, pick up the Ancient Soul and Numsemnee's atonement feats

The Ancient Soul feat allows you to recharge your Dragon breath power if you take damage of the same type as your dragon breath (provided your dragon soul matches)

The Nusemnee's Atonement feat triggers if you damage an ally with an attack. The damage is redirected to yourself, and you resist 5 damage. Usually, enough damage can get through.

The Senaste character theme provides temporary hitpoints whenever you use an encounter power. These temporary hitpoints are removed first, while still considering yourself damaged by your own attack.

And the core of the build: Dragon Breath. It is a minor action, and as written, can be used three times in a single round if desired.