Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
MacCready's companion perk, it gives you a 2000% aim bonus to vats head shots. (It's bugged)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm at the point where I've been working with the Institute, but refused to kill Railroad, and at the same time held back a Brotherhood of Steel attack. They somehow turned hostile on me the second I relayed to the Mass Fusion building, and I was like, wtf? I felt really bad having to kill Paladin Brandis (whom I talked out of exile) and Scribe Haylen, and I haven't been to see Danse yet after I left him at the bunker (I talked Maxson out of killing him earlier). I even went and rebuilt Liberty Prime, and BoS just immediately decided I'm their enemy.

Ultimately I probably would've gone against them anyway, but I would've liked to spare at least Haylen, since she didn't appear all that gung-ho after all.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I'm at the point where I've been working with the Institute, but refused to kill Railroad, and at the same time held back a Brotherhood of Steel attack. They somehow turned hostile on me the second I relayed to the Mass Fusion building, and I was like, wtf? I felt really bad having to kill Paladin Brandis (whom I talked out of exile) and Scribe Haylen, and I haven't been to see Danse yet after I left him at the bunker (I talked Maxson out of killing him earlier). I even went and rebuilt Liberty Prime, and BoS just immediately decided I'm their enemy.

Ultimately I probably would've gone against them anyway, but I would've liked to spare at least Haylen, since she didn't appear all that gung-ho after all.

Just wait until the final battle :unsmigghh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unfortunately the choices pretty much amount to "side with one faction and kill the rest" and it's pretty unsatisfying whatever you choose. It's stupid that they didn't allow some more diplomatic options.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think I had my first ever crash so far. As soon as I flew over to Prydwen with Tom and Deacon, Tom said "Good luck!" and I found myself on the desktop.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azazell0 posted:

I think I had my first ever crash so far. As soon as I flew over to Prydwen with Tom and Deacon, Tom said "Good luck!" and I found myself on the desktop.

Yeah, that is a known bug with the area around Monsignor Plaza. There are a few workarounds if you are on PC:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1546438-fallout-4-crash-in-specific-area/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

So I finished Cait's quest but I didn't get get companion perk? Or is there something more than curing her of her psycho addiction with some 200 year old machine instead of just... going to the drat doc?

Dude, I haven't even done (or even recruited her) and know that she tells you that she's been using so much for so long that the docs can't get rid of her addiction like most others.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Unfortunately the choices pretty much amount to "side with one faction and kill the rest" and it's pretty unsatisfying whatever you choose. It's stupid that they didn't allow some more diplomatic options.

apparently there's some bizarre as gently caress way to trick the game into letting you only blow up the institute and keep everyone else alive, with some radiant sidequests being doled out by all factions to start a war that kicks off the KILL EVERYONE missions if you do them or something

someone posted it earlier in this thread, lemme look

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 6, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fereydun posted:

apparently there's some bizarre as gently caress way to trick the game into letting you only blow up the institute and keep everyone else alive, with some radiant sidequests being doled out by all factions to start a war that kicks off the KILL EVERYONE missions if you do them or something

someone posted it earlier in this thread, lemme look

That's not really a trick, it's just doing the Minuteman ending without actually finishing it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Buckets posted:

MacCready's companion perk, it gives you a 2000% aim bonus to vats head shots. (It's bugged)

...I was wondering why the heads got 95% accuracy every time I used VATS. It's made Kellogg's gun that much more insanely powerful.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Synonamess Botch posted:

Why do mentats exist in this game? Like there are no int checks and I can't boost my stats so I can unlock terminals or whatever cause it's locked behind a perk so why would I ever want to raise my int? serious question

Apart from grape mentats, you can make psychotats, which stack with psychobuff and psycho to give a 75% damage boost, 8 minutes each for psychotats and psychobuff and 2 minutes for the psycho

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

NESguerilla posted:

In other news that 100% happiness trophy is so unreasonable and stupid.

It's actually really easy. Just takes a couple hours.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Level 61, sneak, sniper and rifle perks maxed, one-shotting deathclaws with the Overseer's combat rifle, I think I'm finally ready to visit Diamond City and do the main quest I've been putting off for the past 90 hours. Pretty sure there isn't anything out there left for me to explore.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well I found in my latest session that my hypothesis about wearing 50% fall damage reduction armor pads on both legs was correct. It was hilarious just jumping off the top of a 20 story building and landing on the ground with not even a single scratch on me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I picked up some soap in the ArcJet bathrooms. "I don't see any use for that," said Preston Garvey.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

The only reason INT is "useless" as a stat is because idiot savant exists. If you aren't skilling that then high int is actually pretty nice for leveling faster.

Even with 10 INT idiot savant has a noticeable effect. Idiot savant and science! are both basically essential in every build. One for the massive xp boost and the other for infinite money by making the giant gently caress off water purifiers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Volkerball posted:

Even with 10 INT idiot savant has a noticeable effect. Idiot savant and science! are both basically essential in every build. One for the massive xp boost and the other for infinite money by making the giant gently caress off water purifiers.
There are enough ways to make loads of dosh in this game that the purified water thing is in no way essential.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tier 2 time. I'll do the female-only perks like Black Widow at some point, maybe after I finish the rest.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nordick posted:

There are enough ways to make loads of dosh in this game that the purified water thing is in no way essential.

How else can you make thousands upon thousands of caps in 30 minutes any time you want?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Make jet. Sell guns. Always dump your stuff in one area, like the house in diamond city near all the vendors, put on charisma clothing and pop grape mentats. You'll make thousands. Or do it in your own town with your own vendors.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Getting full happiness seems weird and arbitrary, there's a save game on the nexus with sanctuary at 99 happiness, I just loaded that up and waited for the cheevo to pop.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Davoren posted:

Getting full happiness seems weird and arbitrary, there's a save game on the nexus with sanctuary at 99 happiness, I just loaded that up and waited for the cheevo to pop.

The only way to do it is to make a dumb city that is basically nothing but level 3 stores, so it's really gimmicky and stupid. I'm going to be pushing 1,000 settlers in my network, and I doubt I'll get it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Make jet. Sell guns. Always dump your stuff in one area, like the house in diamond city near all the vendors, put on charisma clothing and pop grape mentats. You'll make thousands. Or do it in your own town with your own vendors.
Yeah, any of this. I haven't even made a specific effort of "alright I'm gonna make thousands of caps right now", I just keep selling some random poo poo like excess ammo and chems to whatever merchants I come across and I'm swimming in caps.
This game is so ridiculously generous with poo poo you can sell that the water thing is really quite superfluous.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Beat the game in the Institute.

What's a good minuteman character build?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The minuteman plot is the same thing just shooting other dudes so really do whatever.

but if you wanted to literally be a minuteman I guess just go the rifleman perks and use the musket all day every day

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volkerball posted:

The only way to do it is to make a dumb city that is basically nothing but level 3 stores, so it's really gimmicky and stupid. I'm going to be pushing 1,000 settlers in my network, and I doubt I'll get it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutsettlements/comments/3ub076/fallout_4_benevolent_leader_trophy_fast_and_easy/

This is a precise strategy for a planned community that should be pretty easy, you just have to keep one settlement at 6 population. One farmer with 6 mutfruit, the other 5 in the top-tier medical stands, 2 water pumps, loads of turrets, make an art walk with a hundred yards of wall covered with cat pics, not too difficult

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you're planning on doing a lot with settlements, make sure you can get Science! and local leader easily so that you can unlock everything you can build.

Filthy Hans posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutsettlements/comments/3ub076/fallout_4_benevolent_leader_trophy_fast_and_easy/

This is a precise strategy for a planned community that should be pretty easy, you just have to keep one settlement at 6 population. One farmer with 6 mutfruit, the other 5 in the top-tier medical stands, 2 water pumps, loads of turrets, make an art walk with a hundred yards of wall covered with cat pics, not too difficult

the more ~optimal~ way to do it would be to import food from another settlement. then you can have every settler in the city at a surgery center.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Volkerball posted:

You'll need to have a charisma of 34 to hit 1000 across the ~30 settlements.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I tricked out a room in the Castle for my bedroom, but only about half of the wall lights that I put up are active. They're the ones closest to the door, which is closest to the power conduits that ruin the length of the hallways.

I've got enough power hooked up to them I'm fairly sure, is there another trick to getting lights powered? The two ceiling fans I put up work fine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lima posted:

You'll need to have a charisma of 34 to hit 1000 across the ~30 settlements.

41 is the absolute max you can hit with summer shorts, 4 pieces of sharp armor, and charisma boosting hat and glasses, plus all the drugs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Beat the game in the Institute.

What's a good minuteman character build?

Use the laser musket with a high luck build. You can use your on demand crits combined with max crank shots to kill basically everything with a single headshot, even on survivor. Legendary enemies mutating? Not a problem when they get turned to ash before they get a chance!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Yea, that sounds neat. I do want to try and be The Sims 4: Fallout edition this time. I want to see if artillery is poo poo.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zephyrine posted:

Personally I feel as if fast travel made Bethesda games feel smaller. The island of Morrowind felt larger than any Bethesda game that came after it.

At the same time I won't stop using it myself.

What's funny is if you play Morrowind today and get rid of the fog, all of the settlements have dwemer, daedric, or otherwise general dungeons less than twenty yards away.

In fact just about everything is 20 yards or less away from something else.

Morrowind was really compact

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BenRGamer posted:

What's funny is if you play Morrowind today and get rid of the fog, all of the settlements have dwemer, daedric, or otherwise general dungeons less than twenty yards away.

A lot of fog and winding mountain paths really make it feel huge.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

khy posted:

I want the Enclave back, and I want to ally with the Enclave. I don't care how evil they are. I'm john motherfucking fallout, the ONLY prewar non-ghoul around, I'm a US Army veteran and the Enclave is the US Army. So I want to join them.

Also : What was the fix for the Vault-Tec Rep just saying "You're going to come visit, right?" whenever I talk to him in a store? I assigned him to the general store, he won't sell to me, I assigned him to the armor store, still won't sell, then assigned him back to the general store and I cannot get him to properly man the store for me.

That's a unique bug with Vault-Tec rep AFAIK, not the general level 4 vendor bug you can fix with setpv. He'll stop doing it after a while for no apparent reason, but I'd recommend just getting the trader from the packing plant instead.

Volkerball posted:

41 is the absolute max you can hit with summer shorts, 4 pieces of sharp armor, and charisma boosting hat and glasses, plus all the drugs.

Drugs don't actually last long enough to get you any settlers unless you just stand around doing them all game day or do something equally tedious, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You send your settlers from one settlement to others when you pop the drugs. That's what I do for my supply depot, when I need more provisoners I pop some mentats, down a beer, dust off my mayor suit and tell the excess at abernathy's farm to hike it to the drive in.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is there any leaked info out there about whether this game was being rushed? It really seems so unpolished. I love the game, but it feels rushed.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea, that sounds neat. I do want to try and be The Sims 4: Fallout edition this time. I want to see if artillery is poo poo.

I've sometimes used artillery but it tends to miss what I want to use it on.

I also had a legendary I had to abandon looting because I had thrown four artillery beacons at him and the area became stuck in perpetual artillery bombardment that never stopped.

BenRGamer posted:

The complete absences of quest beacons made me wonder how I found anything in that game.

You could have one quest like "north east of Hla Oad" and the location would be on an island outside of Khuul and somehow I would still find it with those directions and some ancient vault in a cave filled with gold, gems, a massive shield and some golden saints on the way.

What a lot of developers seen unable to grasp is that distance in a game is measured in time not in game distance

If it takes 60 seconds to fly from point A to point B with for example a flying mount then the distance is 60 seconds. If the same distance took 5 minutes to cross on foot then the distance was five times as long and the world that many times bigger.

In Morrowind it could easily take an hour or two to do a quest due to all the exploration.
"something is wrong at the sothril farm. The farm is to the west of here. Follow the river to the sign and then head north until you reach the mountains"
"Oh thank the nine you showed up. My daughter went missing while visiting the family crypt and I fear for her. The crypt is located along the road to Suran"
Then the crypt would be cursed by some ghost who could only be killed with the magic mcguffing that you had to get from the vampire lord on some island in Sheogorad.

while in Fallout 4 you can do 5 quests in an hour with ease just by fast travelling between buildings and clearing them out for the tenth time. Skyrim had a lot of the same with generic bandit dens, giant camps and dragon nests to clear.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fereydun posted:

as long as you invested in one ranged weapon perk would it really matter that much as long as you had a companion?
it's not like the rest of the perks are particularly hugely game changing or playstyle altering, just conveniences

probably something like get END as high as possible while still having then whatever amount of PER to get rifleman
maybe 3 int to get medic?

the END part is literally just for solar-powered just because that convenience means you don't ever have to spend money on rad-away
Why would you ever buy radaway? I've got like 300 in my workbench, and every time I stop at base I dump all my drugs except for 2-5 (depending on the drug and how much I use it), and notice that I consistently have more than 12 or 15 radaway and rad x every time I come back. I've never once considered needing solar powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Johnny Truant posted:

So I finished Cait's quest but I didn't get get companion perk? Or is there something more than curing her of her psycho addiction with some 200 year old machine instead of just... going to the drat doc?
She'll wait maybe a day in-game before talking to you again and finishing up her convo line, then you'll get a very noticeable popup window telling you about the perk. This is the same for all the companions, and if you're interrupted by combat you need to hit some fast travel screens ro nap a couple times before they'll try to talk to you again. Macready took me ages before things stopped blowing up every time he tried to give me the figurine.

• Locked thread