Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

For someone that hates pop psychology you sure do know poo poo loving all about actual psychology. DSM doesn't really list specific phobias as separate things unless maybe in an appendix or something. Phobia itself is a condition that can apply to almost anything.

Also, for something you claim to be not real there sure are a lot of people with significant reactions to harmless patterns of contrast in images. It's an interesting thing to explore even if it isn't strictly a psychological condition. It tells us something about how our brains are wired, and it gives us some clues about how we may have evolved.

So, in conclusion, gently caress off. Citing the DSM out of context is like one of the most favorite past-times of all pop psychologists. You wanna cite Webster's Dictionary next?

Excuse me for not being clear -
The phobia itself is not listed, and even people's reactions aren't in line for what the DSM defines as a phobia.

Without quoting, it basically defines a phobia as an irrational fear that exceeds the norm, and these irrational fears and reactions must result in interference with social and work life to meet the DSM-5 criteria.

So no, it's not loving real.

A bunch of people that feel a little uncomfortable looking at photoshopped pictures doesn't make it real, unless these people are literally incapable of looking at these pictures, and, if they were to see loving pancake batter cooking (because as a pancake cooks, air bubbles make randomized patterns of holes on the surface) they'd poo poo themselves and be unable to function.

You're way too quick to jump all over this totally inane argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Are you telling me that my arachnophobia and chocoholism aren't real?

quote:

You're way too quick to jump all over this totally inane argument.

You're the one that decided a food thread would be the best venue to expose the fact that the people who feel uncomfortable looking at trypophobia pictures don't have a diagnosable condition under the DSM-IV.*

*A fact everybody already realizes. -phobia doesn't mean it has to be psychologically diagnosable under the DSM. I guess my fiercely anti-gay parents aren't homophobes then since they manage to go to work.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Dec 6, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EZipperelli posted:

Just posting to say, that as a medical professional,

Bullshit, aren't you a paramedic? If you're going to jump in and spout of your opinion here then at least be honest and tell us you've got zero training in psychology.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'll take a million badly written goon food reports over whatever the gently caress is currently happening itt

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have a phobia of lovely posts that are not made by myself

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AnonSpore posted:

I have a phobia of lovely posts that are not made by myself

Well you came to the wrong forum bud

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
New, from the food supervillains at president's choice Diarrhea in a frozen pie!

(Brand new, already a 1 star rating).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

New, from the food supervillains at president's choice Diarrhea in a frozen pie!

Blaaaaaaaaargh

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bunnyofdoom posted:

Great, now I have to loving buy this

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

cash crab posted:

Great, now I have to loving buy this

They also have a butter chicken variety. And various oven bake frozen poutine kits too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

poo poo, i didn't realise the holes thing was a genuine phobia. I just posted the bleeding teeth fungus because the pic i was referring to sure looks like it

anyway here are some supremely fake phobia:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, if it makes you feel better, that fungus looks more like a novelty halloween sweet that melted and started leaking stuff to me. :shobon:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The Saddest Rhino posted:

poo poo, i didn't realise the holes thing was a genuine phobia. I just posted the bleeding teeth fungus because the pic i was referring to sure looks like it

anyway here are some supremely fake phobia:

I am so upset that I still remember the ironic blogger side of tumblr getting really into "tag fruit shitlord"

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

bunnyofdoom posted:

They also have a butter chicken variety. And various oven bake frozen poutine kits too.

"Poutine kits"? Wouldn't the cheap and easy method be to buy the oven bake fries, then just dump jarred gravy and a bag of curds on top?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, if it makes you feel better, that fungus looks more like a novelty halloween sweet that melted and started leaking stuff to me. :shobon:

For real, it looked to me like it could be some kind of nougat with candied fruit, something you'd see in grandma's candy dish at the fambly xmas get-together.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Uhh... :psyduck:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kakairo posted:

"Poutine kits"? Wouldn't the cheap and easy method be to buy the oven bake fries, then just dump jarred gravy and a bag of curds on top?

You'd think

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I don't think it's for use together, I think it's just the same kind of WOW REAL SCIENCE people buy both.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Kakairo posted:

It's pretty much this, they just put the gravy packet and the bag of curds in with the bag of frozen fries. :shrug:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wrong loving thread

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

These two bother me the most, I think. But with the drink, I am trying to picture how fat this person is.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

I don't think it's for use together, I think it's just the same kind of WOW REAL SCIENCE people buy both.

After a bit of googling, it appears people aren't actually eating gallium. Somehow, I'm more surprised by this than I would be if they were.

This is somebody's idea of rice pudding, isn't it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wanamingo posted:

This is somebody's idea of rice pudding, isn't it?

I think that's that "Oreo Rice" that's been making the rounds.

Tastes ok as a rice-pudding.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Looks like Marie doesn't know about no pizza rules

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

I think that's that "Oreo Rice" that's been making the rounds.

Tastes ok as a rice-pudding.

Maybe, but most photos I'm seeing of Oreo rice look a lot blacker and chunkier. I'm kinda thinking somebody decided to mix some plain white rice into a bowl of chocolate flavored Jello pudding.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Counterpoint: Hawaiian pizza is good

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cash crab posted:

Counterpoint: Hawaiian pizza is good

counter-counterpoint: you eat actual garbage

pineapple on pizza is fine

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

counter-counter-counter point: I like Hawiaan pizza too.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
There are no pizza rules, but there are pizza facts, and the fact is that you can put pineapple on your pizza but it's gross and you're a bad person for doing so.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a slice of Hawaiian pizza for lunch yesterday. It was good, but the toppings were trying really hard to slip off while I ate it. People who don't like it are weird.

I don't get it

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Spoiler that poo poo! :mad:

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I think this is Dinuguan. Pigs blood and meat/offal. It's good.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
The fact that none of the pizza places around me carried both pineapple and garlic as toppings inspired me to start making my own. Don't knock it until you try it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

BallisticClipboard posted:

I think this is Dinuguan. Pigs blood and meat/offal. It's good.

Dinuguan is usually just soup, not that thick and not filled with rice. My grandmother was from the Philippines and she would often make me a kind of rice and cocoa "pudding" for breakfast that looked a lot like that does.

E:

titties posted:

grandma loved to get her some dinuguan:

It is some kind of pork blood soup / stew. It smelled like literal poop.

titties has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Dec 6, 2015

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Spagwetti and dough balls

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Would.

I'd feel bad about it, but I would.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This really makes me want an egg salad sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

titties posted:

Dinuguan is usually just soup, not that thick and not filled with rice. My grandmother was from the Philippines and she would often make me a kind of rice and cocoa "pudding" for breakfast that looked a lot like that does.

E:

I always had it mixed with rice.

Content:

• Locked thread