Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

There was a TV spot advertising a gaming console where hundreds of people play-shoot at each other with their fingers, I imagine that's the kind of scenario suggested by those people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3IpAiGXDa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Colt is my Passport is such a great film. I can watch it a thousand times. I love how it's shot and the soundtrack is just ace. I think it might actually be one of the best noir films ever made.

This post inspired me to pay off $28 in overdue fees from years back so that I could check the Nikkatsu Noir set out of the library. And that got me a little nuts so I also put holds on When Horror Come to Shochiku (I'm especially excited for Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell because holy poo poo that title), Kenzi Mizoguchi's Fallen Women, Oshima's Outlaw Sixties, Masaki Kobayashi: Against the System, and Floating Weeds/A Story of Floating Weeds. Apparently my plan for this week is to watch so many Japanese films I learn the language.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
What holiday movie should Dougherty do next?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yom Kippur

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Well, someone scornfully mentions the Easter Bunny in Krampus, so there's your answer.

axleblaze posted:

I like that congress didn't pass a ban on selling guns to people on the terrorist watch lists because people can end up on that list erroneously. No effort was made to fix the watch list. So apparently it's better to sell a gun to someone the government suspects is a terrorist than it is to accidentally not let an innocent man buy a gun. Also it's more important to make sure people can buy guns rather than erroneously being listed as terrorists. This loving country...

Weirdly, I actually kind of agree on that one. Anyone can be put on the no-fly list with no due process or oversight. It's a pretty bullshit thing that needs to be fixed and basing other laws on that list is also kind of bullshit that legitimizes it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

sup

is it surprising to anyone that i have the weirdest collection of poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

arbor day

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Steve2911 posted:

I sometimes worry that the kitchen knives in my house are too sharp and might cause an accident. Imagine having a literal gun in your house.

The American Dream is having multiple guns in your house. Some for hunting, some for home defense, some for their looks, some for personal defense, and some for when The Government comes to get you.

Criminal Minded posted:

This post inspired me to pay off $28 in overdue fees from years back so that I could check the Nikkatsu Noir set out of the library. And that got me a little nuts so I also put holds on When Horror Come to Shochiku (I'm especially excited for Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell because holy poo poo that title), Kenzi Mizoguchi's Fallen Women, Oshima's Outlaw Sixties, Masaki Kobayashi: Against the System, and Floating Weeds/A Story of Floating Weeds. Apparently my plan for this week is to watch so many Japanese films I learn the language.

Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell rules.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

Dire, ugly, and spiteful is exactly the kind of Christmas movie I wanted.

Yeah I mean if you wanna snicker at some fat stupid poors in between snickering at some bush league August Osage County poo poo and nodding your head at some cloying messages about Consumerism is Bad, Family is Good, then Krampus has your back. A big failing of the movie is that its disdain for its poorer characters never reaches the over-the-top spitefulness of something like Idiocracy and its disdain for its richer characters never reaches the painfully awkward earnestness of like a Noah Baumbach joint, so outside of one or two standout moments (like the opening montage), the whole thing ends up feeling pretty toothless. Hence, "slog".

I should also note that while I call the film "ugly" partly because of its morals, it's also largely because of its aesthetics. There's a scene where some evil elves roll up to the house and the wise German grandmother looks at the camera and says "elves", which is fortunate because the lighting consists of nothing but dim, low-contrast blues occasionally illuminated to bright, low-contrast blues by lightning, and the visual design of the elves is so cluttered and scattershot, that gently caress if I knew what I was looking at without the helpful exposition pal spelling it out.

Like, if you're fed up enough with the cultural context around Christmas that you just need the catharsis of seeing it get dunked on, I'm sure Krampus can be a satisfying time. But Christ, there has to be a better way, y'know.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The American Dream is having multiple guns in your house.

actually its a house made of guns that shoot swords

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well, someone scornfully mentions the Easter Bunny in Krampus, so there's your answer.

Weirdly, I actually kind of agree on that one. Anyone can be put on the no-fly list with no due process or oversight. It's a pretty bullshit thing that needs to be fixed and basing other laws on that list is also kind of bullshit that legitimizes it.

I agree that the no fly list is BS but I feel they should, y'know, fix that rather than use it as an excuse as to why they won't pass a single gun control law. Like they have the power to do something about the no fly list, but they're perfectly happy having innocent people on there as long as they can buy guns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know what w/ Bob and David is missing that would make it complete? Audio commentaries.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RvGt-yRUzU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I think you mean Abhor Day

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Steve2911 posted:

The first time I went to the US was terrifying. The first thing you see when you get off the plane is a million armed guards standing there stroking their unnecessarily huge weapons just in case you're there to cause trouble.

Later that day I visited my first ever Wal-Mart and there's just a casual gun shop sitting in the middle of the store.

I sometimes worry that the kitchen knives in my house are too sharp and might cause an accident. Imagine having a literal gun in your house.

I was in a Walmart recently and they sell hollow point (otherwise known as "cop killer") rounds and I live in the state with the strictest of gun laws. Just for fun, what country are you from?

Criminal Minded posted:

Body Snatcher from Hell is loving awesome. I almost peed when Criterion gave it an official release. Watch that poo poo!

I was hoping the movie was more like "Christmas is poo poo and your extended family are a bunch of pricks so let's watch them get savaged by a big horrible monster.".

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah I mean if you wanna snicker at some fat stupid poors in between snickering at some bush league August Osage County poo poo and nodding your head at some cloying messages about Consumerism is Bad, Family is Good, then Krampus has your back. A big failing of the movie is that its disdain for its poorer characters never reaches the over-the-top spitefulness of something like Idiocracy and its disdain for its richer characters never reaches the painfully awkward earnestness of like a Noah Baumbach joint, so outside of one or two standout moments (like the opening montage), the whole thing ends up feeling pretty toothless. Hence, "slog".

I should also note that while I call the film "ugly" partly because of its morals, it's also largely because of its aesthetics. There's a scene where some evil elves roll up to the house and the wise German grandmother looks at the camera and says "elves", which is fortunate because the lighting consists of nothing but dim, low-contrast blues occasionally illuminated to bright, low-contrast blues by lightning, and the visual design of the elves is so cluttered and scattershot, that gently caress if I knew what I was looking at without the helpful exposition pal spelling it out.

Like, if you're fed up enough with the cultural context around Christmas that you just need the catharsis of seeing it get dunked on, I'm sure Krampus can be a satisfying time. But Christ, there has to be a better way, y'know.

I kinda felt that the portrayal of the rich family members and the poors was perfectly over-the-top. The way I read the film was that if we settle for the representations given to us (specifically by the media) of these two types, then we really are screwed. There can be no hope and no chance for any of us if we're going to accept and believe that these stereotypes are in any way real. Like Curtis Mayfield said, "Don't worry, if there's Hell below were all gonna go." And that's what happens when the boy is confronted with this bleak representation. Even after his dad gives him the little talk about looking past our own prejudices and perceptions for the sake of something greater than ourselves (in this specific case it's the symbol of spirit that Christmas represents, but it really could be replaced with any set of belief system or virtues) the kid consciously chooses to not sacrifice his own perceptions and gives in to cynicism. And cynicism appears in the form of Krampus and his little helpers.

I'm definitely applying a reading based on my own experiences and views but this is just how I responded to the film as I was watching it. I'm in no way implying that this is what the film really was trying to say, but I'm just trying to articulate (tho not that well) why I enjoyed it from my seat.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

CPL593H posted:

Hey, check this out, you fuckin nerds!

I see your cool Leatherface figure lingering.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CPL593H posted:

I was in a Walmart recently and they sell hollow point (otherwise known as "cop killer") rounds and I live in the state with the strictest of gun laws. Just for fun, what country are you from?

The UK. Which is scary in the 'dystopia waiting to happen' sense rather than the 'I could die if I leave my home' sense.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

I see your cool Leatherface figure lingering.

I also have Norman Bates at the other end of the shelf.

Steve2911 posted:

The UK. Which is scary in the 'dystopia waiting to happen' sense rather than the 'I could die if I leave my home' sense.

I don't really give into that poo poo, but the other day my brother told me he doesn't want to go to the 70mm Hateful Eight screening in Boston because he's concerned about mass shootings in big cities on days when a lot of people will be around. I found it really sad. This is our reality now and no one wants to do anything about it because our politicians are in the pockets of the gun lobby.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Steve2911 posted:

david cameron hosed a dead pig

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I also put holds on When Horror Come to Shochiku (I'm especially excited for Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell because holy poo poo that title)

That whole box set is loving outstanding.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That title owns.

Unrelated: Chungking Express is pretty good

Woah, I almost missed Chungking Express chat. The first time I watched it I kind of hated it, but it kind of stuck in my head so I watched it three days later again. Now it's my favourite movie. I know its rhythms so thoroughly that it's kind of my go-to "just put something on while you do other stuff" movie. I loving love that movie, if my avatar isn't evidence enough.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im going to see starwars with a bullet proof vest and hat and pretend im 50cent

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gonna check out Scott Adkins' Close Range. I've heard bad things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll go see Star Wars like two or three weeks after release. I guess. Whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just because I'm a giant nerd and I like showing off my nerd stuff, here's a bunch of my autographed stuff.

(I was actually at the show that is on this DVD.)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok, because of Freddy Got Fingered you have to burn the rest.

Sorry. Rules are rules.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Ok, because of Freddy Got Fingered you have to burn the rest.

Sorry. Rules are rules.

Because it's so good it makes all that stuff seem lesser in comparison?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CPL593H posted:

Because it's so good it makes all that stuff seem lesser in comparison?

...Yes. That's why.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That's not what hollow points are, actually I think the police themselves use them.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 6, 2015

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

...Yes. That's why.

I also have stuff signed by Tommy Wiseau.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Freddy Got Fingered is the best Adam Sandler film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Freddy Got Fingered is the best Adam Sandler film.

YES!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kramjacks posted:

That's not what hollow points are, actually I think the police themselves use them.

From what I remember, hollow points were designed to mushroom out in a person's body, doing more damage to the person while also not going right through them and hitting an innocent bystander. Of course, this doesn't work when it hits the bystander first.

"Cop killer" bullets were a subplot in Lethal Weapon 3 and don't actually exist.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Freddy Got Fingered is a masterpiece of Dadaist filmmaking. Tom Green managed to get a major studio to give him full creative control and money to make that film.

It's more of a prank than a film.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones, and armor-piercing (hardened core) bullets are cop-killers, not hollow points.

Furthermore, most mass shootings happen in the grey, textureless sprawl of suburbia, where paranoid weirdos go to escape the "craziness" of the big city.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

From what I remember, hollow points were designed to mushroom out in a person's body, doing more damage to the person while also not going right through them and hitting an innocent bystander. Of course, this doesn't work when it hits the bystander first.

"Cop killer" bullets were a subplot in Lethal Weapon 3 and don't actually exist.

Yeah, they're also less likely to go straight a wall and into someone else if you miss whatever you were shooting at.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

DetoxP posted:

Woah, I almost missed Chungking Express chat. The first time I watched it I kind of hated it, but it kind of stuck in my head so I watched it three days later again. Now it's my favourite movie. I know its rhythms so thoroughly that it's kind of my go-to "just put something on while you do other stuff" movie. I loving love that movie, if my avatar isn't evidence enough.

All the leaves are brown
and the sky is gray

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Marvel's Vision book is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How can someone in good conscience remain a James Woods fan?

• Locked thread